• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 4,162 Views, 48 Comments

Spiders and Magic IV: The Fall of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn

  • ...
84
 48
 4,162

PreviousChapters Next
The Last of Us

Chapter Forty-Eight "The Last of Us"

The early sun struggled to rise over the horizon, obscured by dark clouds stretching across the skies. The ponies within Ponyville remained indoors, but many peeked to the outside from their windows. Hundreds of changelings stood along the outside of Ponyville, facing the plains before marching forward. At the forefront was Queen Chrysalis, accompanied by Sunset Shimmer, Felicia Hardy, Patricia, and Gwen Stacy, each mare holding a steady glare at the horizon ahead. The air was thick, making the simple act of breathing difficult to perform.

Chrysalis shared a glance with one of her changelings before nodding, prompting the entire hive to retreat into Ponyville. However, upon entering the village, some of their horns emitted magical energy. Several thousands of particles of light hovered into the atmosphere before expanding simultaneously. Suddenly, a barrier materialized into existence and shifted into the shape of a dome, closing off Ponyville from the outside world. Several changelings took places along the edges of the barrier, holding their glowing horns against the makeshift shield.

Placing a hoof firmly against the barrier, Chrysalis gave her changelings a warm smile before facing the horizon once more. "The barrier should protect the innocents long enough for us to finish the fight. Should the defense fall, my changelings are prepared to evacuate the village."

"Itwon'tfall," Sunset Shimmer declared, her tone firm and uplifting. "Wewillwin this."

Felicia hopped down from the top of a large stone, landing next to the unicorn. "Good. We'llneedthat confidence once the fight starts."

Sunset arched a brow at Felicia, chuckling under her breath. "Compared to the time Goblin nearly destroyed all of reality, this should be a walk in the park, right?"

Felicia brushed a hoof through her snow-white mane before giving an affirming smile. "Itshouldbe, but I've given up on making assumptions. Nothing ever seems to go as planned in my life, especially when Spider and the lot of you are involved." Her smile widened, showing bright teeth. "It's more fun that way, anyway."

Gwen's masked eyes furrowed as she glanced at Patricia. "You feel that? They're almost here."

The back of her cranium chimed, causing Patricia to lift her gaze towards the horizon. "Yeah. Spider Sense is tingling." Small tremors coursed through the earth, and before long, a sea of black rose over the land on the horizon. The sounds of hoofsteps and clinking armor grew in volume as the approaching wave expanded in the size. Patricia inhaled sharply at the sight. "God. There must behundredsof them out there."

Gwen readied to respond, pausing upon noticing a colossal being standing over the crowd like a tree to a child. "Huh. I guess the walking piledriver is Tirek?" She chuckled nervously, clearing her throat afterward. "He puts Juggernaut and Hulk to shame."

Sunset stole a glance to the side, practically at the forest in the distance. "Peter. Sonata. Whatever it is you two have to do,pleasehurry. I really don't like our odds right now."

-u-

Elsewhere in the heart of the Everfree Forest, Peter bounced from one tree to the next as he trailed Sonata. The siren hummed a light melody while she galloped towards their destination, increasing her already great speed. Suddenly, a series of tremors coursed through the ground. Inhaling sharply, Sonata skidded to an abrupt halt before glancing to the side. Peter flipped from his position and landed next to the siren, quickly yet gently pulling her by the hoof until they were concealed by a bush. They peeked through a pair of openings within the shrubbery, eyeing Tirek and the hundreds of thestrals marching in the direction of Ponyville.

Sonata's eyes widened as her mouth fell agape at the sight. "Oh, wow. I almost forget how many thestrals there were in Tartarus."

Peter's masked eyes narrowed on the centaur towering above the rest. "Yeah, and somewhere in that crowd are the remaining members of the Sinister Six." The stallion eased back, shifting his gaze to the side. "We should hurry and find Aria before the fighting starts. Everypony's counting on us to make it back in time."

Blinking as if a realization came to mind, Sonata turned and nodded. "You're right. We're pretty close to the lake. I think it'll be safe if we walk the rest of the way."

The pair quickly stepped back and resumed their path, using the forest to conceal their movement from the outside. The journey itself was brief, lasting only minutes. As they neared their destination, Sonata stopped in her tracks and inhaled sharply. She glanced skyward, blinking as a dark sensation coursed through her being. Her head suddenly felt light, causing the siren to lean against the nearest tree for support momentarily.

Taken aback, Peter rushed to the mare's side. "Whoa, Sonata! Are you okay?"

Sonata's expression paled as beads of sweat formed across her forehead. "The air is so thin here. I can barely breathe. There's so much negative energy in the air. I can'tstandit." The siren clutched at her chest before lifting her gaze to the side. "Wait. There's something else, too." She straightened her posture and stepped ahead of Peter with a widened gaze. "Aria's just up ahead! I canfeelher! Come on!"

Faster than Peter could react, Sonata galloped ahead and cut through the forest in a blur. Dumbfounded, Peter shook his head before eventually giving chase. The pair quickly found the lake, skidding to a halt upon a realization. Tiny orbs of magical energy danced gently in the breeze above the lake's glowing surface.

Peter removed his mask before shifting his gaze about aimlessly. "Something doesn't feel right. The lake is clearly different than the last time I visited here. What do you think, Sonata?" he questioned, arching a brow upon receiving no response from the siren. Sonata crept to the edge of the bank, never averting her gaze from the lake's clear surface. Peter blinked at the sight. "Sonata...?"

The somber air filled Sonata's lungs as she stopped at the water's edge. A foreboding chill crept through her body as she reach a hoof out to the glowing water. A flurry of thoughts raced across the siren's mind as her hoof met the lake's surface. Images of Aria flashed profusely through her mind, forcing Sonata's eyes to quickly water.

Denial fought back the truth of what she saw, of what she felt, but the very energies surrounding her held more weight and reality than she could bear in that moment. The pain in her chest erupted like lava from a volcano, and her building tears quickly streamed down the siren's cheeks. Sonata's legs buckled at the sensation before she collapsed to the ground, her face just inches above the water's surface. Aria's anguish was very real, and Sonata could feel it as if it were her own. The very water of the lake embodied an echo of sorrow: a final lament.

"No…" Sonata cried out softly, tears dripping from her chin and into the lake as she sniffled before bursting into a sob. "It's not true! Itcan'tbe true!"

"What's wrong?" Peter called out, hurrying to the sirens side. "What's not true?"

Slow to respond, Sonata weakly glanced at the glowing particles of magic hovering in the breeze just above the water's surface. "I thought Aria's presence felt too strong when we were getting near." The siren paused, biting her lip as she turned her attention back the water before her. "Aria's gone."

"What?" Peter blurted out, disbelief in his voice. Shaking his head, as he looked all about the water's surface. "H-How can you be sure? You don't mean…"

"She'sgone," Sonata answered, struggling to regain her composure as she stared intently at her own reflection on the lake's surface. However, the desire to see her friend once more quickly crushed her resolve, the siren yielding to her suppressed emotions "Why did you have to leave, you stupid jerk!? You were supposed towaitfor us! We were coming back tohelpyou!" Inhaling deeply, Sonata's sobs only grew in volume. "You can't be dead!"

"You're wasting your time," a voice coldly declared from behind. Both ponies turned at the sound, spotting Adagio leaning against a tree with an unreadable expression. She straightened her posture before slowly walking towards the duo. "Aria's not just part of the lake. Sheisthe lake now. She emptied her entire presence, her very life, into this lake after Tirek seemingly destroyed you. I guess the grief of losing you was too much for her to bear."

Sonata's eyes widened once Adagio was a few yards away. She readied herself to run to her fellow siren, but she instinctively stopped in her tracks upon making eye contact. Adagio's irises overflowed with a crimson aura while the dark energy emitting from her body burned intensely with enough force to generate steam. Even her once poofy mane fell flatly over her shoulders as mist enveloped it. Adagio took in seething breaths through gritted teeth, and the muscles in her body quivered profusely, as if struggling to hold together under its own pressure.

Stunned, Sonata could only shake her head in disbelief with a saddened gaze. "Oh, Adagio… What have you done to yourself?"

Adagio huffed, glancing at her trembling hoof as she held it inches from her own face. "I've feasted on my own hatred. It's all I could do to bring myself to eat since Aria died."

"No!" Sonata exclaimed, racing towards Adagio. She managed to grip her friend's shoulders. "Whywould you do something like that?! Youknowhow dangerous it is for sirens to eat their own negative emotions! Are youtryingto get yourself killed?!"

Adagio forced a small laugh, smiling wryly to herself. "Who knows? Maybe I am." She paused before narrowing her gaze. "While itispainful, my powers are even greater as a result. Besides…" She trailed off, glancing at the stallion nearby with venomous intent. "I just need to bear it long enough to rip Parker apart for what happened to Aria!"

Peter's eyes widened at the accusation before he shook his head. "Hold on! I know that you're upset about what happened to Aria. I am, too. If I could go back and prevent this from happening, I would." He reached into the side compartment of his knapsack, retrieving a syringe full of a serum. "I promised that I would help you all, and I intended to keep that promise. I actually managed to create a cure, so that you wouldn't need to feed on negative emotions anymore."

"You'relying!" Adagio snapped back, gritting her teeth to the core. "We would no longer besirensif that were true!"

Sonata stepped between the pair, shaking her head feverishly as she faced her fellow siren. "No, Adagio! Itisthe truth! Peter worked so hard to help us! You have to trust him! Aria did…" she trailed off, choking back a sob before sniffling. Sonata soon forced a smile. "I've been taking the medicine for a few days now, and I've never feltbetter!You wouldn't believe how much better positive emotions taste over the bad stuff! Plus, it's so much easier to get! It's just like how Aria and I always wanted! To not have tohurtanybody to feed, and we no longerhaveto! Soplease," her voice wavered, cracking, "Trust me, Adagio… just this once."

Slow to respond, Adagio simply stared at Sonata with an unreadable expression. However, her frown soon deepened. "That's always been your problem, Sonata. You're stupidly naive." The black aura emitting from her body darkened as it spread over the vicinity around the siren. "You managed to fall for the crap that this guy spewed, and now, you're no longer a true siren because of it. Ialwaysknew what was best for you and Aria, but you two insisted on ignoring me. Now look what's happened because of it! Aria'sdead, and now you're ready to turn your back on me for anoutsider!"

Sonata inhaled sharply, placing a hoof over her chest. "It's not like that, Adagio! We came back tohelpyou!"

"Just stop and listen to yourself," Peter calmly suggested, never averting his gaze from Adagio. "You're clearly not well. Let us help you." The stallion let out a low sigh. "Enough sirens have died already. This doesn't have to get any worse."

Adagio scoffed, placing a hoof over the ruby gem around her neck before removing it with a swift jerk. The golden pieces of the band broke apart while falling to the earth. "You speak pretty words with no real weight, but anypony will listen to you. I've dealt with somepony just like you before. He, too, said the nicest words, and I believed every bit of it, all until the day he lied to me." She slowly centered her somber gaze on the ruby in her hoof, frowning. "I knew something wasn't right, but I went against my gut. That stupid pony lured me into an ambush, and his friends tried to capture me. I managed to escape from the trap, though not before making all of those ponies pay. Especially,him."

"Not all ponies are bad, Adagio," Sonata declared, her eyes softening. "Just because you ran into a few bad ponies doesn't mean they're all the same. Everypony is different, and you have to give them a chance."

Frowning, Adagio shook her head. "They didn't giveusa chance. Why should I? We're nearly extinct because of them." The siren inhaled deeply before sighing. "I'm not even mad at Sonata or Aria for believing in you, Parker. They just haven't seen what your kind is capable of. You can lie to somepony's face and stab them in the back without batting an eye."

"Peter isn't like that, Adagio! He's my friend! And I know it for real!" Sonata cried out as her emotions swelled, threatening to burst. "Why won't youlistento me!? Why do you always have to act so stubborn!?"

Narrowing her gaze on the other siren, Adagio's frown deepened. "Because I've always known what's best for us. Aria was too emotional for her own good, and your head's always been in the clouds. I'll just have to fix this myself." Suddenly, Adagio hurled the ruby into the center of the lake, and before long, the muscles in the siren's body began to shift and expand drastically. As the fur on her being disintegrated, scales formed in its place while fins sprouted from her back. Adagio's grunts distorted before she roared at the top of her lungs, settling her slitted gaze on Spider-Mane. "Sonata will get over you once you're just a memory."

Faster than anypony could react, Adagio dove into the lake, and her figure faded behind the glowing energies emitting from the water. The earth around the lake trembled profusely, forcing Peter to stiffen his posture to maintain a firm stance while Sonata fell to a kneeling position under the tremors. Eventually, the quakes ceased as quickly as they began. However, a colossal being erupted from the lake, howling before shifting its venomous glare towards the stallion.

Like the last time, Adagio cast aside her equine form, choosing her natural siren shape instead. Her fangs sharpened as she snarled and inhaled deeply. Dark particles of energy spiraled into her mouth before she lunged forward and screamed at the top of her lungs, unleashing a torrential wave of magical blades. Peter readied himself to dodge the attack, but Sonata quickly jumped in front of the stallion, facing the wave with a determined gaze.

Tears streamed down the side of her cheeks as she hummed an angelic melody, generating a warm bubble shield around herself and Peter. Sonata's soft and soothing tone contrasted that of Adagio's harsh and grating voice. Both sirens' melodies collided into each other, harmlessly canceling out after mere seconds. The dust slowly cleared as the surrounding energies dissipated, revealing Sonata and Peter seemingly unharmed in the wake, but every tree and foliage in the path behind them was destroyed, ripped asunder.

Adagio's eyes widened at the sight before she snarled deeply. "Just what do you thinkyou'redoing?"

Sonata didn't respond immediately, holding her silence as she shook her head. "Younever listened to us. No matter what happened, you always found a way to shut us out to prove that you're right. You know something, Adagio?" Sonata lifted her head and gave her friend a stern glare. "You're not always right."

"Parker's the one I want, Sonata, not you!" Adagio barked, frustration evident in her voice. "Stop being stupid and move aside!"

Sonata stood firm, holding her hooves out to both sides. "Tough luck, Adagio! If you wanthim, you'll have to go throughme!" She glanced to the side, sharing a gaze with the stallion. "You don't need to waste your time here, Peter. Head to the plains. The others willneedyour help."

"I can't justleaveyou like this!" Peter exclaimed, reaching out until his hoof took hold of hers. "We can figure something out!"

A warm light enveloped Sonata's form before the luminous energy seeped into her fur. She managed a wide smile, even as a stray tear streamed down the side of her cheek. "Peter, you're a really good friend. You've done more for me in a few months than most have done in a lifetime. In mylifetimeeven. So letmehelpyou, just this once." She shifted her gaze back to the engrossed siren, frowning as she steadily neared. "I know how stubborn Adagio is, and I don't know how long it'll take for me to get through to her. Just let me try, Peter.Please. I wasn't there to save Aria, but Icanstill save Adagio."

Peter stared at Sonata with a widened gaze, taken aback by her request, but he soon nodded, holding a warm smile. "Okay. I'll leave this to you. I'll be waiting for you in the plains." The stallion gently squeezed the siren's hoof before turning to face the hordes outside of the forest in the distance. However, he paused while glancing at Sonata from the corner of his eye. "Sonata… don't die. Don't make me go through the same pain that Aria did. You hear me?"

Before she could hope to respond, Peter galloped into the forest, his image fading into the shadows. Sonata closed her eyes and let out a defeated sigh before chuckling under her breath. "Darn. You don't make things easy, Peter." She opened her eyes, staring deeply at her extended hoof and the sensation left in the stallion's wake. The siren chuckled to herself before turning her gaze to the lake. "Mom. Dad. Forte. Aria. I'm sorry, but it looks like it's going to be a long time before I can join back with all of you."

Adagio stared intently at her smaller friend, her own shadow engulfing Sonata's entire frame. "You idiot." Gritting her teeth, Adagio released a growl. "Don't blame me if you get yourself killed!"

A long silence filled the vicinity as both sirens stared intently at each other. The only sound to grace their presence was the running water of the lake and the faint whistling escaping from the radiant energies glowing from its surface. Their hearts ached from the personal losses they shared, yet their contrasting auras collided in a battle of wills. Nothing would ever be the same. A lone leaf slowly fell from the nearest tree, and it danced in the soft breeze before landing into the lake, sending tiny ruffles through the water. Suddenly, Adagio and Sonata rushed towards each other at blinding speed, even as the world around them slowed to a crawl.


Within the reaches of the astral plane and high above the plains, Discord sat in midair with his crimson gaze fixed on everything beneath. Eris remained captive in the crystal ball, holding her silence for what seemed like eons as she watched both sirens engage each other.

"I still can't believe Aria did such a thing," she whispered, leaning against the crystal's glass while shaking her head.

Discord glanced off to the side somberly. "While it is difficult to accept, it's not impossible to believe. Aria led a very troubled life before meeting Adagio and Sonata. Those two kept her grounded and helped her move on from her past." The draconequus let out a low sigh. "Sadly, it seems losing Sonata was the final straw for her. I just wish that… that I'd seen the signs sooner. That I'd hadn't untethered my focus from her. I could've prevented this."

Eris lowered her head as her gaze softened. "This isn't right. I can't imagine what those poor girls are going through right now."

"I hope you realize that this isyourfault, Eris," Discord huffed, his voice heavy with scorn as he never turned his attention from the world below. The female draconequus turned sharply at the statement, peering up at her male counterpart's glare. "If you hadn't intervened, I would've saved Peter and the others as intended. Aria would've reunited with Sonata before long and realized her mistake. From there, the two of them would've worked together to make Adagio see reason and join them. Now, one of them is dead, and Equestria's fallen into utter chaos.You'llhave to live with that."

Slow to respond, Eris glanced to the side in a defeated manner, but she folded her arms before nodding, earning a bewildered expression from Discord. "I've made a lot of choices that I have to live with Discord, and Iwillanswer for all of it. I have no quarrels with accepting responsibility for my actions. It's exactlywhyI've been able to stick with Peter and his group with a clear conscience, as my intention was to always help them." Eris frowned, holding a stern glare at the male draconequus. "You on the other hand, are so blinded by your own ego that you can't help but try to deflect the blame onto someone else."

Discord snarled, swiftly turning his gaze to the captive draconequus. "I hadeverythingunder control beforeyoucame along!" Discord reaffirmed, gripping the crystal ball tightly until cracks spread over the ball.

Unfaltered, Eris scoffed harshly. "Keep telling yourself that."

Locked in a clash of wills, both draconequi stared intently at each other. However, Discord smirked after a brief duration. "I'll prove that I have matters under control once and for all. It's time for Mayday to fulfill her role and put an end to all of this."

Inhaling sharply, Eris shook her head defiantly while banging her paw and talon against the glass of the crystal ball. "Discord, I amwarningyou! Leave the child out of this!" She ceased her actions momentarily as the cracks along the crystal ball mended before fading from sight. "Peter has withstood more than anypony could imagine in his young life! It's beginning to take its toll, and something dark is brewing within him! If you involve Mayday now, it will push Peter far over the edge, and I'm not certain if the world is equipped to deal with whatever may emerge from that!"

"Oh, shush now!" Discord whispered, standing upright. "The world will be saved, and Peter Parker will be fine. Just you watch." The draconequus chuckled before flying in the direction of the Everfree Forest. "The finale is here, and it shall be glorious!"

-u-

Aria held a blank stare as she, Adagio, and Sonata walked out of a diner. "Thisbites. Starswirl could've at least sent us somewhere a little less dull."

Adagio huffed, shaking her head. "I admit that thisisa setback, but it just shows that I wasrightabout the three of us!" With a confident smile, the girl clenched her hand into a fist and raised it triumphantly. "The three of us combined were too much for even Starswirl the Bearded to match! We forced him to take the coward's way out and banish us!"

Rolling her eyes, Aria exhaled. "Hoo-rah. Go us. Now we're stuck in an alternate dimension where our powers don't work." With a sarcastic tone, Aria raised a finger before twirling it mockingly. "If you considerthisa victory, thenhuzzah. We win absolutely nothing."

"Oh, come on! It's not so bad here!" Sonata cheered, pausing to scarf down the remains of what seemed to be her third taco. With a mouth full of food, the girl eagerly nodded and grinned. "The food's good here at least!"

Slow to respond, Adagio cleared her throat upon spotting Aria's bemused glare. "Don't worry about it. Soon enough, we'll restore our powersandreturn to our Equestria to return the favor to Starswirl!" Her widened grin remained intact as she gazed at the moon in the sky. "As long as we stick together, the world is our oyster!"

Swallowing the contents in her mouth, Sonata placed her hands over her hips and matched Adagio's smile. "Yeah! And speaking of oysters, those were on the menu in that diner! We should try some next time!"

A long awkward silence filled the area before Aria simply folded her arms in a defeated fashion. "I almost wish Starswirl just destroyed us." The corner of her lips steadily curled into a smile. "Almost. This just might be worth something after all."

-u-

Sonata hummed a light melody, causing her form to fade into a blur. She raced out, striking Adagio's large body from every angle, but her blows proved ineffective, glancing off the siren's hardened exterior. The world slowed for Adagio as she steadily watched Sonata's movements. Suddenly, the siren lunged out and narrowed the distance between them almost instantly. Taken aback, Sonata yelped involuntarily at the change of events before turning sharply into the woods.

Adagio stomped in pursuit, destroying everything in her path while staying mere hoof-lengths from her target's tail. Sonata swayed past a tree, hurdled over a bush, and turned to unleash a sonic wave as she released a high-pitch song. However, Adagio simply tore through the obstacles, even taking the brunt of Sonata's attack to the face. The siren shrugged off the blow before diving forward, slamming the top of her head into Sonata's back.

The force of the blow knocked Sonata off balance, sending her into a violent roll through countless tree limbs and bushes before she skidded to a halt. Adagio relentlessly pounced on the mare before she could recover, sinking her fangs into her torso. Like a wild animal, she violently shook her smaller prey while maintaining a vice grip. Relinquishing her hold, Adagio hurled Sonata high over her shoulder, and the mare landed in a heap as blood escaped from her wounds.

"You should'veknownthat this was going to happen! I'vealwaysbeen stronger than you!" Adagio growled, her distorted voice sending tremors through the earth. Sonata weakly staggered back to her hooves, managing to lift her gaze. Adagio gritted her teeth to the core. "You have anything smart to say now?!Huh?!"

Slow to respond, Sonata chuckled under her breath before coughing. With a defiant smile, she could only shake her head. "You're just… too stubborn… for your own good."

Disbelief rose on Adagio's face, evident by her widened eyes. However, something swelled within her, a hint of irritation. Suddenly, that emotion erupted into immense fury as the black aura emitting from her body darkened. Inhaling deeply, Adagio howled at the top of her lungs, unleashing a torrential wave of energy.

Sonata was swept away in the blast, nearly fading away from existence as the magic tore away at her form. The mare soared for what seemed like eons, dropping lifelessly into the lake. Sonata's eyes struggled to stay open as she sank to the bottom of the lake, but she soon yielded to what felt like an endless slumber. One last image of herself with her dearest friends flashed across her mind before the mare gave into the darkness consuming her.

'I guess some things never change, huh?'a soft voice whispered as tiny particles of energy gently spiraled around Sonata's damaged form. Mere inches away, an image began to take shape before shifting into that of a mare. Her pigtails danced with the tranquil fluidity of the lake's flow, and her body was clear, as if it were the water itself. Soon, Aria's violet gaze cleared. 'As usual, you've found yourself in deep trouble, Sonata. Once again, it's up to me to bail you out. I swear, you're such a headache sometimes. I hadn't planned to ever wake up, you know? But I just couldn't stand and watch my best friend die a second time.'

The surrounding energies morphed into a bubble shield, easing Sonata into its protective core. Aria's image stared somberly at the mare before she placed a hoof over the shield. A warm smile graced her features, even as the entirety of the lake's magical energies fused into the shield protecting Sonata. Suddenly, Sonata's body began to glow, emitting a luminous light. Before long, the wounds on her body steadily healed and faded from sight.

Aria's eyes widened at the sight. 'Idon'tbelieve it... Heactuallykept his word.'The water spirit let out an uncharacteristic chuckle before shifting her gaze to the surface above. 'It looks like I don't have anything else to worry about then.'The energies of the lake continued to flow into Sonata, erasing all traces of damage from her being. Aria could only chuckle inwardly. 'When I first created this lake, it was only meant to be a place for me to grieve. I never would've imagined that this place would actuallyhelpsomepony, but ithas. Now, it'll helpyou, Sonata.'

Sonata's body slowly rose toward the surface as the energies of the lake continued to seep into her body. Sonata maintained her equine shape while small gills surfaced underneath the sides of her muzzle. A pair of striped, violet wings sprouted from her back along with a pair of blue fins just underneath her ears. The energies surrounding Sonata sent tremors coursing through the entire lake. Aria stood in awe at the sight, gasping once her own form began to dissipate from existence.

'It's ironic. I empty out the entirety of my being into the lake, and you unknowingly just absorbed my entire presence,'Aria whispered, staring at her own hoof as it faded away. 'It almost hurt Adagio to come into the lake because of her body's need to absorb negative emotions. When I emptied my essence into the lake, I only thought of my lost love and you. The lake has always had a positive effect on those who came close to it. That's why it's fusing with you. You can actually absorb positive emotions now. That's… incredible.'Aria's smile widened as she shook her head. 'Peter really worked some magic, didn't he? You're clearly not a normal siren anymore, Sonata. You've become so much more.'

Aria closed her eyes, floating until she was directly behind her friend. 'I just wish I could've said goodbye to you properly, but I'll always be a part of you from now on. You may not ever hear or see me, but I'll always be there with you.'The dirt at the lake's floor rummaged as a ruby with a black band freed itself before floating into Aria's open hoof. She slipped the band around Sonata's neck before placing a hoof on the back of her shoulder and pushing the mare slightly towards the surface. 'You have to live, Sonata. Now, get up there and slap some sense into Adagio. For all of us.'

Aria's transparent body distorted, shattering into hundreds of tiny orbs of energy before they seeped into Sonata's body. Her voice could be heard once more through the reaches of the lake as it grew faint before fading completely. One last image of Aria flashed through the lake, with the siren holding a genuine smile.

'I'll never forget our time together. Thank you… for everything.'

Sonata's eyes shot open as a surge of energy ignited from within her. Adagio slowly made her way back to the lake, pausing as immense tremors rushed through the earth. Suddenly, something erupted from the lake with the velocity of a missile before slowing in midair. Sonata's form came into view as a warm, bright aura emitted from her fur, and the wings on her back held a majestic glow.

However, something even greater surfaced. A beautiful melody escaped from Sonata's mouth, holding a firm yet gentle tempo, and its tune was sharp, balanced by a synchronization of a second voice. Bewildered, Adagio watched on in amazement. Her eyes widened further once the energies emitting from Sonata's body took shape, almost representing a spirit mirroring her exact actions.

"Just what in the name of…?" Adagio whispered, inhaling sharply upon spotting the spirit's two pigtails before it vanished completely. "Aria?"

Faster than Adagio could react, Sonata vanished in a blur of energy and instantly materialized inches away from the engrossed siren. The mare hummed a light melody barely above the hint of a whisper before heightening the volume. A force of energy raced out and ripped the surrounding earth asunder, snatching Adagio into its wake. Ensnared in the vortex, the siren's body spiraled out of control and burst through many trees and stones alike before jettisoning forward. Adagio strained before shrieking at the top of her lungs. The energies she released severed her tie to the vortex, allowing the siren to slow her unwanted momentum.

She stared intently at Sonata, who hovered gracefully in place with a somber expression. Fury turned into violent anger as Adagio inhaled deeply, causing surrounding wild energies from the atmosphere to spiral into her mouth. Sonata mirrored her actions and took in a deep breath. However, the radiant wings on her back glowed brightly as the latent energies from the lake channeled into her. Both sirens stood adjacent from each other before unleashing their respective melody simultaneously. A chaotic beam of orange energy raced from Adagio's mouth while a cool-blue laser shot out from Sonata's voice.

Both projectiles collided into each other, generating a shockwave upon impact. The force of the dueling attacks caused waves to burst through the lake, and violent tremors coursed through the earth. Suddenly, the blue beam sliced through the orange energy, causing Adagio's attack to dissipate from existence. Before she could even think, Sonata's beam slammed into the siren. A flash of light ignited before an explosion erupted, engulfing Adagio completely. The energy's light spread, stretching until it eclipsed the clouds and graced the stratosphere.

A dust cloud spread out at the point of impact, engulfing everything on the ground within the span of the forest. Eventually, the dust and energies cleared, revealing Adagio collapsed at the bottom center of a crater. Sonata gracefully floated to the ground, landing inches away from the siren. With a low sigh, she removed her own ruby gem before placing it over her friend's neck.

A bright light enveloped Adagio's form, shifting its shape until she retook her equine figure. Slowly but surely, Adagio stirred to life before raising her gaze to spot the mare. All hints of anger seemed to have vanished between the two. A look of uncertainty formed on Adagio's face as she continued to stare at Sonata. The warm aura emitting from her body had not dissipated, managing to grow into something benevolent.

Adagio simply huffed, glancing to the side as she strained to lift herself from the ground. "I see. So,that'sit." She collapsed onto her flank, holding a hoof over a bruise on her shoulder. In spite of her pain, Adagio found a way to smile. "Parker reallydidhelp you. It's not even close. You're more powerful than I'll ever be. I never thought I'd see the day." Her eyes softened as tears surfaced to accompany her defeated smile. "I can see Aria's stupid face right now saying 'I told you so' in that annoying sarcastic tone of hers."

Sonata knelt down in front of Adagio, placing a hoof gently over her shoulder. "Aria's just happy that you're back to your senses." Before Adagio could react, Sonata wrapped her hooves around her neck for a warm embrace. Tears streamed down her cheeks, but Sonata smiled earnestly, tightening her hold. "So am I."

Memories of old flooded Adagio's mind, of the years long passed. From her first meeting with Sonata and their chance encounter with Aria, every scenario they've shared as a group was memorable. From their petty squabbles, to life or death struggles, the Dazzlings always stuck together through it all. Unable to fight back her swelling emotions any longer, Adagio buried her face into Sonata's collar and sobbed uncontrollably. As if a great dam had collapsed, both sirens could only allow their true emotions to run rampant. They were the last of their kind, but they still had each other, in spite of their recent differences.

They eventually parted, pausing to clean their wet faces. Sobering, Sonata was the first to make her way back to a standing position. "I wish that we had time to catch up, Adagio, but we need to help my friends."

A bolt of pain coursed through Adagio's body, causing the siren to wince involuntarily. She arched a brow at Sonata soon afterward. "Why should I? They'reyourfriends. Not mine." Adagio narrowed her gaze on the ground. "I refuse to help Celestia's cause. It's her fault that our race is nearly extinct."

Sonata pursed her lips. "The reason we're not extinctyetis because of Peter and the others. During our time together, I nearly starved to death, but they found a way to ensure that I would live." She trailed off as a somber expression formed on her face. "Truth be told, I don't know if Icanforgive Celestia for what happened, but I'lltryto, over time. Whatever it takes to repay my debt to Peter, I'll do it."

Slow to respond, Adagio frowned. "You sure are putting a lot of faith into Peter. Even after everything they did, you'restillgoing to help them." Her eyes softened as she smiled lightly. "Then again, we systematically attacked Peter and all of his friends, but hestillsaved you. That pony really doesn't make any sense."

"Not really," Sonata giggled, smiling brightly. "He's just a good guy. Simple as that."

Adagio's ears perked at the genuine tone Sonata's voice carried. With a defeated sigh, the siren forced herself back to a standing position and waved a hoof dismissively. "Fine. If you stop mentioning him for five seconds, I'll help. I'monlydoing this because I guess I owe Parker one for looking out for you." She straightened her posture, raising a hoof. "Besides, he turned you into… something else. You're clearly not a sirenora pony anymore. You're something in between, and I want to see if he'll truly watch out for you. If it looks like he's a pony of his word, I'll take the serum, too."

Sonata beamed, clapping her hooves eagerly while prancing in place. "Really?! Thank you so much, Adagio! This is great! After this is over, you can take the serum! Then, you can feed on positive emotions! The best part is that we don't have to make everypony feel bad anymore just to feed! They taste better, too!" A strand of drool hung at the bottom of her mouth as the fins under her ears flapped happily. "I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! We need to eat once the fighting is over! I'm really craving some tacos! And a hug from Peter would be a great snack afterward!"

Adagio scoffed, shaking her head with a chuckle. "You're still the same idiot I've always known. Let's get this over with so you can eat. But first…" she trailed off, reaching out before snatching Sonata's ruby from around her neck. However, the siren maintained her equine shape, even after losing contact with the ruby. Adagio nodded. "I don't think you'll be needing this anymore."

Sonata scratched the back of her head, grinning sheepishly. "Oh. Huh. I guess not." Adagio turned, tossing the ruby into the center of the lake. Once the jewel sank into the depths, Sonata smiled while facing the forces on the outside of the forest. "Let's go!" She paused, pressing the switch on her earpiece with a hoof. "Peter! I'm on the way with Adagio! Wait for us."

"I already pumped the brakes when I heard the explosion. What happened back there?"Peter questioned, his voice filled with mild static.

Sonata giggled sheepishly. "That was actually me. Let's just say that your serum is working better than we thought. I'll explain when I meet up with you." The mare turned to face her fellow siren. "Come on, Adagio! Hurry up!"

Adagio arched a brow as Sonata raced off in a blur, holding her stance for a brief duration. "Since when did she turn into the 'take charge one' ? Maybe I've been out of touch for too long...?" She readied to pursue her friend, pausing to steal a final glance at the lake. "Don't worry, Aria. I won't let anything happen to Sonata." She galloped through the forest, narrowing her gaze as an exasperated groan escaped from her mouth. "The next time I let Sonata take charge, I'll just hit myselfreallyhard!"

-u-

The hordes of thestrals continued to march toward their destination. However, once the village of Ponyville lay on the horizon, Tirek narrowed his gaze on the small group at the front before stealing a glance at the bubble shield behind their position casted over the village. There were only five ponies to speak of, some of which he recognized immediately. The giant centaur laughed arrogantly before slowing to a halt and raising his hand. The entire thestral army stopped in their tracks, glaring intently at the village.

"I knew the lot of you were foolish, but I thought you had more sense thanthis," Tirek boasted, smirking as he held his arms out in a daring fashion. "Do you really think that your tiny numbers compare to ours? If you surrender now, we'll let you live to tell the story of the rise of the new empire."

Gwen merely scoffed, pulling her hood over her head before marching towards the army. "I'mnot listening to his monologue. Let's shut this guy up before hetalksus to death."

Sunset Shimmer, Black Cat, Spider-Mare, and Queen Chrysalis followed Gwen's example, walking by her sides as they steadily closed the long gap between them and Tirek's forces. The centaur smirked. "If you're all so eager to die, than I'll behappyto oblige." However, before Tirek could react further, a pack of thestrals cried out while pointing to the east. With a bemused glare, the centaur frowned and narrowed his dark gaze in the direction they were facing. "More of them?"

Over that horizon, dozens of armored stallions marched towards Tirek's forces. Their body armor was reinforced with a crystal shell, while all their weapons bore a similar characteristic. Leading the squadron were a stallion and a mare, both wearing armor that resembled their respective fur colors. Upon closer inspection, Tirek's brow furrowed at the realization that Shining Armor and Princess Cadance were leading the knightly forces of the Crystal Empire.

"Well, it is of no concern. We willstillcrush them!" Tirek declared before a pack of thestrals behind his position called out to him. The centaur released a frustrated grunt as he snapped around. "Whatnow?!"

Everypony turned to the north, spotting a trio of silhouettes in the sky concealed behind the clouds. Suddenly, the sun rose from the horizon and revealed dozens of armored stallions bearing Canterlot golden armor. The three beings in the sky sped towards the ground before their forces with bright golden, blue, and pink aura emitting from their bodies. The energy soon dissipated and revealed the alicorn sisters, Celestia and Luna, along with Princess Twilight Sparkle. Without so much as a word, they slowly marched toward Tirek's forces with steadfast determination.

Tirek clenched his fist and snarled. "Do these fools honestly believe that they can match our might?! We will…" he trailed off, having caught glance of a bewildering sight upon gazing to the west.

Just on the outskirts of the forest, a trio stood firm with their sights set on the army of thestrals. Peter Parker stood alongside Sonata Dusk and, shockingly to Tirek, Adagio Dazzle. Like everypony else surrounding Tirek and his forces, the trio marched toward them with a slow yet firm pace. However, irritation morphed into bewildered amusement, evident by the wild smile on the centaur's face. Tirek waved a hand, prompting the entirety of his forces to spread in the four directions of their foes. "We shall remember your resolveas we walk by your graves!"

"What's the plan, Princess Celestia?" Twilight questioned, alternating her gaze between the approaching forces and her former mentor.

Celestia simply nodded before pointing a hoof forward, prompting the guards behind her position to lower into a defensive stance. "We fight."

Sunset Shimmer bit her lip and furrowed her brow as the enemy forces marched toward them. "This is going to get ugly."

As they marched on, increasing the speed of their steps, the approaching thestrals mirrored their actions. Sonata blinked, shifting her gaze to the stallion by her side. "They're not stopping."

Peter frowned, quickly throwing his mask on back over his face. "Neither are we."

Suddenly, Spider-Mane led the charge and galloped forth at full speed, prompting Sonata and Adagio to do the same. Gwen watched before leading the others to follow their example. Shining Armor roared at the top of his lungs and thrust his hoof forward. The Crystal Empire Prince rushed forward with Princess Cadance by his side while the entirety of their forces galloped by their side. Lastly, the alicorn trio took flight, and the Canterlot knights pushed forward at full speed. The thestrals replied in full, meeting their foes head-on with matching speed.

The entire world stood still, watching in awe as the fate of Equestria would be decided on this last, desperate attack.

To be continued...

PreviousChapters Next