• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 4,205 Views, 48 Comments

Spiders and Magic IV: The Fall of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn

  • ...
84
 48
 4,205

PreviousChapters Next
The Fall of Spider-Mane, Part III

Chapter Fifty-One "The Fall of Spider-Mane, Part III"

Luna shook her head in disbelief. "No! This can't be! I checked his mind! Nightmare wasnotthere!" The alicorn paced in place, unable to slow her quickening breaths. "How did I miss it?! I don't understand!"

"Do not fret, Luna. All shall be explained shortly," Nightmare declared, glancing to the group from the corner of his eye before shifting his gaze to the female thestral by his side. "Draw everypony back. I will deal with the pretender myself."

The female thestral nodded, bowing before glancing at Equestria's forces behind the barrier. "Yes, my Lord. What about them?"

Nightmare huffed, facing the centaur. "Leave them be. I have two individuals I must deal with personally."

Without hesitation, the entirety of the thestral forces withdrew, falling back behind the barrier set by their master. Everypony along the outside carried befuddled expressions as the war came to a screeching halt. Yet, the thestrals paid them no mind, lining up in formation without averting their gazes away from Nightmare. Patricia arched a brow at the sight, tilting her head to the side as thestrals passed her by without acknowledgment.

Gwen furrowed her brow, frowning. "What gives? Are they on our side now?"

Princess Celestia shook her head. "I doubt we are that fortunate."

Meanwhile, Discord continued to survey the situation with a concerned expression. "I just don't understand. Nothing implied that Nightmare broke free from Princess Luna. Justwhatis happening?"

"Was this part of your plan?" Eris questioned, causing Discord to glance at the crystal ball. She closed her eyes and let out a somber sigh. "I begged you several times to stop, but you wouldn't listen. Now,thishas happened…" Eris trailed off, glancing off to the side where Twilight and Mayday stood, "andthey'repaying the price for it."

Discord glanced at his female counterpart, ready to respond, but he paused as Mayday burst into a sob. "I thought I was doing the right thing!" she exclaimed, covering her face with a hoof. Twilight approached the filly with a wary expression, sighing before pulling her into warm embrace. Mayday's sobbing grew in volume as she buried her face into her mother's chest. "I'm sosorry, Mom! I didn't mean for this to happen!"

Brushing a hoof through her daughter's mane, Twilight gently tightened her embrace while shooting a quiet glare at Discord. "It's okay, sweetie. This wasn'tyourfault."

Discord winced at the mare's emphasis, knowing the direction in which it was aimed, but the draconequus pushed all thoughts to the side, shifting his gaze to Nightmare. "Peter Parker… Just what am I missing?"

Nightmare readied to face the centaur, but he turned his gaze to the barrier as his horn momentarily glowed. Before anypony could react, Luna vanished from sight in a burst of light, materializing mere hoof-lengths away from the stallion. However, the mare held a steadfast gaze even as her transformed friend towered over her, standing nearly twice her height. Celestia edged over to the barrier, gazing wildly at the pair.

A coy smirk formed on Nightmare's face after a moment. "Your expression says it all: Justhowdid I miss it? You searched every inch of Peter's mind. By all accounts, you should've found me." He raised a hoof, tapping the side of his head with a chuckle. "However, I know how you think, and I'm well aware of your limits. We've spent countless eons together, after all. I know how to stay out of your line of sight, but it does help that I had assistance from averyclose acquaintance."

Luna stared intently at the stallion, pursing her lip. "Just howdidyou escape?"

"That's the funny thing. I didn't," Nightmare whispered as his fanged smile widened, "...yet."

Luna's eyes widened at the comment, but before the alicorn could react, Nightmare lunged forward and slammed his hoof into her gut with a fierce punch. All of the air rushed out of her lungs while everything faded to black for the princess. Luna collapsed as she slipped into unconsciousness, falling to the ground. Nightmare knelt by the mare's side, placing a hoof over the back of her neck while his horn glowed with magical energy.

A seal materialized over the mare's back before a bright light glowed from underneath her body. Particles of energy from the atmosphere spiraled around Luna, levitating her hoof-lengths from the ground. Suddenly, traces of darkness rushed out of her body, filling the vicinity like a sickening smog. Maniacal laughter echoed through the air as lightning crackled throughout the skies. A large pair of blue slitted eyes opened within the darkness, narrowing on the lone stallion.

Nightmare grinned at the sight and held his hooves out, as if offering himself to the calamity. The magical energies holding Luna captive airborne dissipated, causing the princess to collapse in a heap. The laughter within the spreading darkness grew in volume as it spiraled into Nightmare's chest, generating a whirlwind around his position. Luna vanished from sight in a burst of light amidst the chaos, landing within the safety of the barrier while unconscious. Celestia rushed to her sister's side, brushing a hoof over her cheek.

All of the darkness eventually seeped into Nightmare's body, allowing the whirlwinds to cease. The stallion grinned triumphantly before erupting into a maniacal laughter, his voice distorted even further than before. Dark aura emitted from his body as electrical sparks cracked about wildly. The skies mirrored Nightmare's black energy, as if basking in the power he bore. With a low huff, the stallion finally resumed his lone march to meet Tirek, and the centaur held his ground, eyeing Nightmare with a smirk.

Patricia alternated her gaze between Nightmare and the unconscious Luna. "I'm usually fast on the uptake, but can someponypleasetell me what the heck is going on here?!"

Celestia narrowed her gaze on Luna as she stirred slightly. "I'm not entirely surehow, but Peter just broke the seal holding Nightmare within my sister."

"What?!" Gwen blurted out, confusion evident in her blue eyes. "How?! That doesn't even make any sense!"

Patricia held up a hoof, waving it. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait a minute! Time-out! Are you saying thatNightmare... justfreedNightmare?" The mare rapidly shook her head. "That'simpossible. There's supposed to be onlyoneNightmare!"

Gwen chuckled nervously. "You might wanna try tellinghimthat."

Patricia frowned, pointing a hoof at the stallion in the distance. "So, you're telling me that our friend is under the possession of not one, buttwocosmic forces?! Just what are we supposed to do aboutthat?"

Slow to respond, Celestia sighed. "My suggestion? Practice gratitude." Once Patricia arched a brow at the response, Celestia shifted her gaze to the battlefield. "Weare not the ones in Nightmare's sight. Tirek is."

Once several yards apart, Nightmare slowed to a halt. "I've waited along timefor this."

Tirek stared at the stallion with his massive arms crossed, holding a bewildered gaze, but the centaur chuckled under his breath, even as lightning struck the ground inches away from the pony. "So, you're the infamous Nightmare Moon. I am truly honored. The power you possess is quite extraordinary." He paused as a wicked smirk formed on his rugged features. "However, your choice in a host body leaves a lot to be desired."

"Aleechwants to lecture me? How laughable," Nightmare scoffed, glaring at the centaur. "You have to suck the magic out of the land and most of its inhabitants over the course of a decade. I only needoneindividual, and your powers still pale in comparison to mine. Your argument… is invalid."

Tirek's face scrunched up with disgust at the comment. "It seems that your arrogance speaks volumes." Pausing, the centaur managed a smile before clenching his fist tightly. A force shot from his hand, sending a fissure coursing through the earth next to Nightmare. The stone shattered, splitting in various directions, but the stallion stood firm as his aura burned away every rock that neared him. Tirek's smile widened. "This is truly a dream come true. Once I absorb your power, I will becompletelyinvincible!"

Nightmare scoffed in disgust. "You're all the same. The Green Goblin; Empress Chrysalis; You. Your kind only knows how to destroy, to leaving nothing in your wake through your foolish ambition. You knownothingabouttruepower," Nightmare chuckled, sobering as his irises vanished behind a blinding light. The stallion stood onto his hind legs while a whirlwind spiraled around him. Several bolts of lightning slammed into the ground between the pair. Nightmare delved into wild, distorted laughter once more, with three voices fused together. The color in his blue slitted eyes returned before he narrowed his gaze on the centaur. "Now, watch and see where you wentwrong."

No sooner than he'd uttered the last word of his sentence, Nightmare flew across the field and stopped mere feet away from Tirek's face with his hoof already reared back. The centaur could only blink as he acknowledged what had transpired, but before he could even contemplate a reaction, the stallion threw an earth-shattering punch into his jaw. The force of the blow echoed across the air, much like a bomb detonating. Tirek's head snapped back, slamming into the earth with enough impact to send tremors coursing throughout all of the plains, and the centaur's momentum had not ceased, causing him to skid across the grass and rock for what seemed like miles.

Vanishing in a blur, Nightmare raced past Tirek and waited at the end of his projected path with his hooves crossed. Once he had skidded into range, the stallion's horn glowed and generated a shockwave around him. As if he had collided into a wall, Tirek halted in place instantly. A black wave spiraled around Nightmare's body before it morphed into a tendril, whipping back and swatting the centaur away into the air with a thunderous crack.

Nightmare disappeared in a burst of light, materializing directly above Tirek as he spiraled through the air. The stallion raised a hoof, prompting thunder to roar throughout the clouds before a massive bolt of lightning raced out and slammed into the center of the centaur's chest. A dust cloud erupted from the ground as Tirek was driven to the earth, spreading across the entirety of the plains. Faster than Tirek could react, Nightmare flew in with a vicious stomp onto the center of his face, driving the back of the centaur's head through the stone underneath.

A black tendril burst from the ground, snaking around Tirek's neck before lifting his colossal form from the ground. Nightmare levitated above his position with his horn emitting a bright aura. Thousands of light orbs materialized into existence behind the stallion, each glowing before scattering. Before long, Tirek was at the center of a veritable mine field, with the orbs of light surrounding him from every conceivable angle. With a wave of a hoof, Nightmare commanded each orb to speed into the centaur simultaneously.

A chain reaction was triggered once the projectiles met with the centaur's flesh, causing a detonation of energy to ignite. Tirek's body vanished in the explosion while it spread over the land. However, the blast channeled into a dome and held the volatile energies in place while Nightmare hovered inches away from the explosion. The blast steadily diminished, dissipating after a full minute, and its dome did the same, shattering from existence.

Once the smoke cleared, Tirek was revealed, still hanging by the neck to the tendril's vice grip. His form was burned beyond recognition, resembling a husk, but he weakly coughed a response, showing his life was intact for the time being. Nightmare scoffed at the sight before waving a hoof, prompting the tendril relinquish its hold. Tirek fell to the ground, ready to pull himself back up, but the muscles in his body failed, leaving the centaur with the option to stare at the stallion from the corner of his eye.

"All that stolen power andthisis the best that you can do? Pathetic," Nightmare coldly declared, approaching the prone centar, shaking his head before huffing. "This is but atraceof the gap between your power andmine."

Tirek chuckled under his breath. "Then let's close that gap between us!" Faster than anypony could react, Tirek reached out and grabbed the stallion. Particles of magical energies siphoned into Tirek before the centaur erupted into wild laughter. "You're biggest mistake was yourarrogance, and now you will pay for it with your life!"

In the distance, everypony's complexions pale and filled with horror. Patricia screamed out, "Oh, no...!"

Tirek's grin widened as his grip tightened as well. "Now I have you. With my might, I willneverlet you go until all of your power ismine!"

However, Nightmare stood firm, his calm expression remaining intact as traces of his dark aura channeled into the centaur. "Is that so? You're nothing more than a common mosquito, sucking away at an Ursa Major. Unfortunately for you, I have no patience for insects nor do I have the time to spare for the likes ofyou." A pair of tendrils sprouted from the ground, wrapping around Tirek's arm, and both vines twisted in opposite directions. The centaur strained as the muscles pulled, struggling not to break, but his grip remained sound, never loosening. Nightmare simply grinned, prompting the tendrils to expand and twist further. "So far… I am impressed."

Tirek gritted his teeth as his limb trembled under the building pressure. "I willneverlet you go!"

"Yes. That's the spirit, Tirek," Nightmare whispered before his horn emitted a dark magical glow. "Never say die!"

Both tendrils hissed in response before they twisted maliciously. A loud crack echoed across the vicinity as Tirek's arm snapped in half, dropping limply against the ground while losing all grip on the stallion. The centaur roared out in pain, clutching at his severed limb with his free hand. Nightmare simply frowned at the sight with an emotionless glare, folding his hooves.

"Your power isnotyour own. Without it, you'renothing." The stallion glanced to the side as his horn glowed. Suddenly, an emerald gem and crimson ruby materialized in midair by his head, each possessing a golden band laced around their surface. "Let's see what youreallyare."

Nightmare's eyes faded behind a blinding light before four tendrils sprouted from the ground around Tirek. Two whipped around his good arm, pinning them to the ground while the remaining pair snaked across the centaur's head and neck respectively. A bemused expression surfaced on Nightmare's face as he glanced to the side. The stallion disappeared from sight in a burst of light, materializing into existence perched over Tirek's exposed gut before thrusting his hoof downward with a fierce punch.

All of the air rushed out of Tirek's mouth instinctively from the blow. However, before the centaur could react, Nightmare materialized next to his head in a burst of light and tossed the emerald gem deep down the back of his throat. Tirek instinctively swallowed the foreign object, coughing as he attempted to call it back, but it was to no avail, as the stone had already traveled to the pits of his stomach. Nightmare stole a glance at the golden lining over his hoof before tossing it behind his shoulder as it disintegrated in the wind.

The tendrils holding Tirek in place evaporated before he pulled himself to a standing position, and the centaur roared while he lunged his open hand at the levitating stallion, ready to snatch him into his grasp. However, Tirek stopped in his tracks once his hand was mere inches away from Nightmare, who merely smirked in response. The muscles in the centaur's body shook violently as glowing cracks spread all over his body. Suddenly, beams of magical energy erupted from the openings in his skin and beamed into the sky before splitting in various directions across the land of Equestria.

"What have you done to me?" Tirek whispered through a strained voice, hazing at his hand as it shrank and withered.

Nightmare huffed, folding his hooves as he watched the centaur continue to shrink. "The gem you ingested was specifically designed to return a being to their natural form. Without the magic of others, you are just a decrepit old fool desperately eluding his mortality."

Before long, Tirek fell to the ground at a normal size, but his skin had wrinkled and muscles withered to where he practically resembled skin and bones. His life rapidly fading, the centaur struggled to breathe, taking in long, wheezed intakes of oxygen. Clutching at his chest, Tirek took in one final breath before his form faded to that of a skeleton, with his bones quickly crumbling to dust, spreading to the air at the presence of a breeze. With mouths agape and widened gazes, everypony could only watch on in both amazement and horror.

Nightmare scoffed under his breath as he shifted his gaze skyward. "Your time has ended, Tirek. Fade away and become a soon-to-be forgotten memory."

Blinking, Gwen stammered about aimlessly. "Gee whiz! We hit Tirek with everything we had, and Peter just takes him out without breaking a sweat?! What does that mean for us?"

"That depends entirely on you," Nightmare stated as he turned to face those within the barrier with an unreadable expression.

His horn glowed momentarily, and the shield lowered, fading from existence. The surrounding thestrals hissed in response, ready to pounce on the small number of ponies. However, Nightmare raised a hoof as he levitated near their position, holding his place in midair like a deity. The thestrals backed away from the group before lowering back to kneeling stances.

"Unlike the fools who came before me, I offer you this one chance. Lay down your arms and join my cause as I rule not only Equestria, but the very world as its one true god," Nightmare declared, his voice calm, yet cold. "Should you decline this offer, I will be forced to rid you from this life. Accept, and no harm will ever come to you once the land is cast into eternal night."

Princess Celestia stepped forward, eyeing the stallion with a stern gaze. "How is it that you came to be as you are? You flourished in Peter Parker, yet you freed yourself from my sister.How?"

"It's because the Nightmare that possessed Peterfirstis not from this world to begin with," Luna declared, coughing as she strained to pull herself to a standing position. The bags underneath her large eyes were dark, and her breathing was harsh, reminiscent to the sound of glass scratching against a rough surface. Luna shook her head before straightening her posture, pointing a hoof at the stallion. "I believe I should be more specific. You're from this world… just not thistimeline."

Nightmare merely chuckled at the mare's words, nodding. "Correct. My true home is not inthistimeline but twenty-five years into the future, where Equestria lay in ruin."

"Sothat'sit," Discord whispered under his breath, furrowing his brow at the entity. "When Peter returned from his travels to the future,youcame back with him."

The stallion's hardened gaze softened as he glanced to the side, sobering. "I've spent decades in captivity, unable to move, and I could only watch as everything I sought to rule crumbled around me. When Queen Chrysalis had assassinated both Princess Celestia and Luna, I had believed myself to be free. However, due to the strength of the seal, I was doomed to perish alongside the princess, even as she stored her dwindling essence into that confounded crystal. Having come to eventually accept this fate, my unknowing salvation was granted from one who made the most unlikely of travels."

"When Peter accidentally sent himself into the future?" Celestia questioned, furrowing her brow at the stallion.

"Yes. I watched the world fall into decline for over two decades due to that foolish changeling's reckless, selfish ambition. I was fortunate Peter happened upon the crystal in his quest to liberate Equestria," Nightmare replied, frowning as he folded his hooves. "I used what little power I had remaining to shatter the seal and break free of the crystal before Luna's essence faded completely. After so many years, I was free once more, but I was in no condition to do anything, let alone confront the changelings. Fortunately, judging from the emotions I felt emanating from Peter, the sheer amount of guilt that he carried in his heart... I found a suitable host and hid away within him without his realization."

Patricia's eyes slowly widened as a realization came into mind. "Hold on. Does that mean you were the reason Peter's Spider Sense went on the fritz?"

Nightmare was slow to respond before eventually nodding once more. "Yes. Although I was unaware of his precognitive senses at the time. Whenever I attempted to take control, his sixth sense always triggered and pushed me back. I suppose over time, the Spider Sense shut down for Peter, so it could fully focus on containing me. Even his basic instincts are sound in that regard."

Mayday sniffled, pausing once a realization struck her mind. "My Spider Sense. I always thought it was acting weird around Dad, but… it was trying to warn me aboutyou."

"Consideringyoustabbed your own father, I'd sayyou'rethe danger tohim," Nightmare whispered, frowning at the filly. "Hmph. Hestillloves you, despite your betrayal. If not for that, I would have destroyed you myself." Paying Mayday no further mind, he faced the others and tapped a hoof against the side of his head. "His resilience is to be commended. Peter forced me to take a slow and methodical approach to his defenses. I ventured forth to assault his psyche with illusions containing his greatest fears and harshest memories in an attempt to wither down his willpower."

"So, it's beenyouthis entire time," Twilight darkly whispered, gritting her teeth before glaring venomously at the stallion. "The bad dreams. The sleepless nights. The PTSD. It's all been alie."

Nightmare shifted his line of sight to Twilight, narrowing his gaze on the mare. "The emotions he felt were very real, especially those tied toyou, Twilight Sparkle. However, Peter is steadfastly determined to stick to his ethics of honor, good, and responsibility." The stallion's expression grimaced as a glint gleamed in his slitted irises. "With time, I would chip away at his dwindling willpower before he would yield to me. To think, this all started when I took agamble. It was a risky move using what little power I had finally recovered to shut him down for that one night with Sweetie Belle."

An ill silence filled the air as the weight of Nightmare's words bore into Twilight. The alicorn's eyes widened with horror. "What did you say?"

Nightmare stood poised with a narrowed gaze, huffing. "I'm not proud of the measure I was forced to take. After all, Peter had just lost Dinky Hooves, Trixie, and Luna in rapid succession. He fell into a pit of misery. One that I was unsure if evenIcould pull from in my current state. I urged him to sleep with Sweetie Belle to alleviate the pain, but he resisted those temptations fiercely, not wanting to betray your love and trust." The stallion raised a hoof and held it inches from his face. "I knew then that Ihadto take action for my hopes to return to stand a chance. I used my remaining power to shut Peter's subconsciousness down in order to take control of his body for the night without his knowing."

Gwen blinked as she inhaled deeply. "That explainswhyPeter couldn'trememberany of it. He just blacked out."

Twilight's ears lowered into her mane shamefully as she shook her head in disbelief. "Peter… never cheated on me."

Nightmare hummed, tilting his head. "I suppose that depends on how you look at it, but you were led to believe that he did nonetheless, so the gambit paid off," Nightmare declared, lowering back to the ground before landing gracefully on all four hooves. "You never truly forgave him, whether it was the distrust in your eyes or the anger in your voice. Over the years, it ate away at Peter, and that same guilt added to my strength, along with a plethora of other things. Everything started falling apart, and Peter finally simply… gave up."

Eris shook her head, placing a talon over her chest. "Oh, Peter."

The stallion frowned as he centered his gaze on the filly beside the alicorn. "It took his own daughter's betrayal for Peter to yield completely. This world is indeed cruel, and I assure that Peter nor anypony else will have to endure such madness under my rule. I have seen the outcome of that path. I willnotfollow it."

Twilight never averted her gaze from the stallion, even as her emotions spun out of control. Peter had always treated her with kindness, putting her feelings above all else to a fault. Twilight knew that her husband loved her, remaining honest as he revealed what happened with Sweetie Belle in the future. While she had forgiven him and understood the circumstances, it could not be forgotten.

A trace of resentment remained adamant in the mare, try as she might to deny it. In times of anger or frustration, it always surfaced through coldly spoken words or dismissive mannerisms. Yet, in spite of receiving such treatment, Peter always endured his wife's anger with kindness and quiet pain. Twilight fought back her tears, only to burst into an uncontrollable sob.

Peter never stopped loving her and accepted blame for something he didn't do. Now, he was gone, and it was her fault. She struck the ground in frustration with a hoof, wanting to beg her husband for forgiveness. Patricia knelt down next to the alicorn, placing a reassuring hoof over her shoulder.

Faster than anypony could react, Discord stepped onto the field between Nightmare and the group. The draconequus held his paw out before a small whistle fell into his grasp. He blew into the tool for several seconds as a striped referee's shirt materialized over his frame in a flash. Nightmare merely frowned at the sight while Discord threw a yellow flag at the ground by his hooves, waving his paw and talon overhead. Everypony else shifted their collective gazes at the pair with bewilderment as the draconequus walked to the stallion, pausing once they were mere inches apart.

"Flag on the play! Foul! You are breaking the rules by anabsurdmargin with your actions!" Discord exclaimed, holding a stern gaze. He waved a glowing paw, causing the flag and whistle to vanish from sight in a burst of light. "OneNightmare is a chaotic enough existence, but two? That crosses a line and is justtoomuch. This is one rule we absolutely arenotallowed to break." The draconequus clapped his paw and talon together, prompting his referee shirt to disappear as well. "I'm afraid I have no choice but todirectlyintervene this time. I must return you back to where you came from before any more damage is caused."

Taken aback, Nightmare snarled at the draconequus and took in seething breaths through gritted teeth. "You… havesomenerve!" The black aura emitting from the stallion's body roared out, erupting. Tremors coursed through the earth as lightning crackled violently across the skies. "Where wereyouwhen Chrysalis toremyworld asunder?! You didn't feel the need to intervene at that time, but I take away Peter,your pawn, and youfinallyshow your face?!" Nightmare lowered into a stance as a vein pulsated over his temple as his distorted voice roared throughout the heavens. "You have…no right!"

Discord huffed dismissively, raising a glowing talon. "Rules are rules. I don't make them, I just follow them. Take your grievances with the higher order." Magical energies raced out, speeding toward the stallion, but they dissipated from existence upon colliding with the dark aura pouring from Nightmare. Discord's eyes widened at the sight. "What?!"

A tendril burst from the ground behind the draconequus, whipping around his neck before he could react. Nightmare slammed his hoof into Discord's face, howling as he drove his cranium into the ground. The draconequus strained to break free, but the tendril's grip tightened, pinning him to the ground while the stallion grinded his hoof against his jaw. Energies from the atmosphere spiraled into Nightmare's horn. The tremors coursing through the earth morphed into quakes, making the act of standing nearly impossible for those on the ground. Suddenly, a barrier rose around the entire plains, shielding the thestrals, Canterlot's forces, and Ponyville.

"Be wary of the pain you inflict upon others. That turns tostrength," Nightmare snarled, lowering his head until his glowing horn was inches from Discord's face. "Get out of my sight!"

Volatile energies were unleashed, spreading throughout the earth and stretching for miles. Everypony shielded their eyes from the blast, specifically the rays of light burning brightly from the energy. The magical beam spread upon impact, engulfing Discord's form completely, and an explosion ignited, generating a shockwave. The blast rose, extending far above the clouds and stretching past the stratosphere.

Yet, the culmination's range never reached the Everfree Forest or Canterlot, remaining solely concentrated on the plains and expanding outward as it elevated. Eventually, the energy dissipated from existence, leaving only smoke and scorched earth in its wake. A strong breeze cleared the plains of the fog, and the barrier surrounding everypony faded. Nightmare levitated above a seemingly endless chasm in the earth, its length stretching as far as the eye could see. Nothing remained, only desolation.

Gwen coughed, clearing the surrounding dust from her throat. "Holy cow! That was like watching a nuclear missile explode up close in HD!" She opened her eyes, staring at the destroyed plains with a slack-jawed expression. "Whoa!"

Patricia mirrored Gwen's action, shuddering. "I s-swear to God. If I survive this, I am retiring. I'm gettingtoo oldfor this crap."

Mayday blinked, staring wildly at the mile-long crater underneath Nightmare's hooves. "Did… he just kill Discord?"

A crystal ball materialized into existence mere inches away from the filly in a burst of light before it fell in her unwaiting grasp. Eris shared a glance with the filly once the glass surface within cleared. "Discord and I are eternal but not immortal, much like your parents. However, due to our chaotic biology, we are naturally able to withstand a great deal of pain." The female draconequus grimaced, glancing at the stallion nervously. "Discord will live, but..."

Gwen scratched the back of her head with a weak chuckle as she glanced back to the surrounding devastation. "That hurt like all hell… is what she's trying to say."

"Is Nightmare reallythatpowerful?" Mayday questioned, furrowing her brow.

Eris pursed her lips and nodded. "On its own? Very much so. However, its true power lies in its ability to draw out the true power of whomever it possesses and amplify their strength beyond measure." She straightened her posture before shaking her head. "Considering how powerful your father already was, with two Nightmares fused together in control of his body, their might can shake the very cosmos itself."

Patricia forced the lump in her throat down with a swallow. "Can we ease back on the negativity? I don't like being reminded of how screwed we all are."

Mayday's eyes softened at the comment. "So, that's why Dad always held back. If he ever went all out," she trailed off, gazing sadly at the scorched earth surrounding her, "then he'd spread destruction like this."

"It's very easy for anyone to lose control, Mayday. That's why it's very important for us to monitor ourselves," Eris whispered gently, placing a talon against the glass as a small smile graced her features. "We do that not for ourselves, but to ensure that we don't inadvertently hurt those closest to us due to carelessness. Hopefully, you can understand your father's perspective a little better now."

Mayday readied herself to respond, only to shift her saddened gaze to the side. Meanwhile, Nightmare levitated toward the small group standing before him, and he landed gracefully several yards away from their position, holding a stern gaze. Celestia and Luna stood with their respective weapons levitating by their sides via telekinesis while Gwen and Patricia leaped behind the duo, each lowering into defensive stances. Twilight forced herself to a standing position, glaring sharply at the stallion.

However, Nightmare's expression remained calm as he raised a hoof. "My offer to you still stands. Yield, and your lives will be spared. Oh, and in case you were attempting a coup…" Faster than anypony could react, a black wave rushed past the group from behind before pausing in front of the stallion. Nightmare's horn glowed, causing the darkness to fade, and everypony inhaled sharply upon spotting five of the six Elements of Harmony levitating into his possession via telekinesis. "Do not believe that these trinkets will save you this time."

Princess Celestia's eyes widened at the sight. "The Elements of Harmony!"

Twilight stomped forward as her glare sharpened. "What have you done with my friends?!"

Nightmare raised a hoof objectively. "At ease, Twilight Sparkle. No harm has come to them. With the exception of Rainbow Dash, they're not combat trained." The stallion paused, tapping a hoof against the side of his head. "Like Chrysalis has with her changelings, I share a psionic link with all of my thestrals, and I sent a small group to subdue the wielders of the Elements of Harmony while I dealt with Tirek. With Peter's memories under my possession, I knewexactlywhere they were positioned."

Patricia grimaced as a bead of sweat fell from her forehead. "Well, that's justperfect."

"We willnotyield," Princess Celestia reaffirmed, narrowing her gaze on the stallion. "So long as we draw breath, we will fight for this land and everypony that lives in it."

Gwen pointed a hoof at Nightmare. "So, what? You'd just destroy anyone or anything that doesn't agree with your perfect little world? There's something you should look into. It's calleddiplomacy. The world isn'tyoursto control!"

Twilight gritted her teeth to the core as magical energies sparked from her horn and enveloped her body. "You have my husband. I want him back, and I don't care if I have to go throughyouto do it!"

Nightmare let out a deep sigh at the collective responses. "It's a shame that you all fail to see reason. I hadhopedit wouldn't come to this." A deep scowl surfaced on the stallion's face as he slammed a hoof through the ground out of frustration, cracking the stone. "Are you all so anxious to see the destruction of your land at my hooves? Then so be it!" The darkness holding the Elements of Harmony faded from sight, causing the gems to do the same. The dark aura emitting from the stallion erupted, sending tremors coursing through the earth while the sky blackened. Nightmare stood upright onto his hind legs, baring his fangs while lowering into a defensive stance. "I shall fight you on your own level! Come on!"

Luna stretched her wings and dashed ahead, prompting the others to follow her example. The alicorn vanished before materializing into existence mere hoof-lengths overhead from the stallion with Celsius raised, slashing the area where he stood. The sword's energy spread upon impact, slicing deep into the earth and stretching out for several meters. Nightmare materialized directly behind Luna's shoulder, leaping to deliver a swift blow across the jaw. Before the mare could recover, the stallion followed with a straight punch to the gut.

Air, as well as traces of blood, rushed out of Luna's mouth while the force of the blow sent her flying back until she burst through the charred remains of a tree. A tingling sensation chimed at the back of his head, prompting Nightmare to duck as Patricia dove at him from behind with a kick. The mare managed to land on her hooves, but as she turned to face the stallion, he unleashed a magical beam into her chest before she could react. The energy detonated on collision, sending Patricia careening across the ground with a violent roll.

Nightmare glanced to the side with his horn glowing, causing a tendril to rise and block Celestia's glaive. A shockwave erupted at the point of impact, shattering nearby stones to rubble while spreading flames across the vicinity. Both ponies vanished from sight and materialized into existence nearby with Nightmare blocking another direct blow fromIgnus Solariswith a tendril, generating another shockwave in the process. The process repeated, with the pair vanishing in spurts and triggering powerful air blasts from their traded blows.

Celestia teleported behind Nightmare, plunging the point of her glaive towards his back. However, the stallion faded in an afterimage before it could connect, and materialized directly behind the alicorn, slamming his hoof over the back of her head. A thunderous crack echoed throughout the airwaves before Celestia sped into the ground with enough force to generate a crater, and a dust cloud rose from the point of impact, accompanying the tremors that spread through the earth. Nightmare hovered above the crater, lowering his glowing horn at the alicorn's prone figure.

A magical bolt soared through the sky, exploding upon slamming into the stallion's back, but Nightmare merely staggered, brushing off the blow. He raised his gaze in the attack's direction, eyeing Twilight Sparkle as she soared toward him with the speed of a missile. The princess strained as magical energy from the atmosphere spiraled into her horn before she unleashed a volley of magical beams in rapid succession. Nightmare folded his hooves and held them out, managing to block the entirety of the barrage. Twilight burst through the cloud before the stallion could recover, knocking him back.

Nightmare vanished in a burst of light and materialized inches away from Twilight, tapping a hoof against her chest. The alicorn's body snapped back before slamming into the earth. Suddenly, a strand of webbing latched onto the stallion's forehoof before he could follow up. Nightmare glanced to the side, catching sight of Gwen as she pulled against the thread. With a swift jerk of the hoof, the stallion snatched the mare into the air, and she helplessly soared toward him, unable to react as he drove the point of his kick squarely into her stomach.

Blood escaped from the blonde's open mouth before she was launched, crashing onto the ground in a heap. Nightmare raised a hoof instinctively at the tingling sensation chiming in the back of his head, blocking a beam fired from the side. Twilight unleashed the projectile, howling before pouring more energy into the attack, and the beam thickened in response, rupturing the ground underneath Nightmare's hooves as he continued to block the attack effortlessly. Keeping his hoof raised, the stallion walked toward the mare before punching the back of her shoulder.

The force of the blow sent Twilight flying until she skidded across the ground. Celestia and Luna stood a few yards behind the stallion with their weapons raised. Ignus Solaris and Celsius levitated forward before fusing together, their volatile energies spiraling into a vacuum. Tremors rushed through the ground as flames blazed across the vicinity and an icy chill filled the airwaves. Nightmare furrowed his brow at the sight once Ignus Solaris and Celsius faded from sight, causing a beacon of light to ignite.

Suddenly, the energies unleashed in a dual beam, and it expanded, spreading beyond measure. The blast consumed Nightmare, his body fading behind a wall of fire and cool blue energies. A chain reaction triggered before an explosion ignited, generating a widespread shockwave and smoke cloud at the point of impact. Patricia, Gwen, and Twilight slowly pulled themselves back to a standing position before walking toward the alicorn sisters.

Both Celestia and Luna collapsed to a kneeling stance while everypony shifted their collective glances at the center where the explosion took place. However, once the dust cleared, Nightmare emerged unscatched behind the protection of a dark bubble shield. The defense faded from sight in a burst, and the stallion folded his hooves before huffing. Thunder rumbled throughout the sky before a volley of lightning bolts shot out from above, crashing into the ground near everypony in the vicinity. Shockwaves erupted from each blast, knocking each mare away.

Nightmare frowned at the sight, disregarding the others and walking toward Twilight as she struggled to pull herself back upright. "Why would you choose to fight? Youknewyou didn't stand a chance against me. None of you do." Stopping hoof-lengths away from the mare, Nightmare tilted his head, eyeing her curiously. "Whydoyou try so hard to accomplish the impossible?"

"It's because IlovePeter," Twilight whispered, holding a hoof over the bruise on her shoulder. In spite of her pain, she managed a small smile while tears streamed down her face. "I'll never stop fighting. Even if he gives up on himself… I'llnevergive up on him. He's my husband… and I love him."

Nightmare's eyes softened. "It's a shame that you're willing to die for such a misbegotten cause. It pains me, for your heart is noble and true. I'll ensure Peter doesn't know of your suffering." He raised a hoof back, ready to strike down the princess, but he paused, growling in frustration as his limb trembled in place and refused to move. The stallion glanced to the side. "What? I suppressed you… but youstillfind a way to resist?How?!"

Twilight lowered her head, chuckling before staring intently at the stallion. "Peter willnevergive up. As long as there's a single breath in his body, he'll keep fighting. It's who he is." The mare unleashed a magical bolt, striking the center of Nightmare's chest with enough force to knock him several hoof-lengths back. Luna, Gwen, and Patricia managed to stand, taking a place behind Twilight as she pointed a hoof at the stallion. "Wewon't give up either!"

Nightmare stared intently at the four mares, frowning before exhaling. "Fine. It seems you leave me no alternative then." A blast fog erupted from the stallion, spreading across the vicinity, and the sky blackened further, blotting out the sun entirely. Nightmare never averted his gaze from the group, as if disappointed with their actions. "Just remember that you all brought this on yourselves."

The pair of slitted irises narrowed on the stallion beneath them. "Is itmyturn?"

"Yes. I offered them mercy, but they insist on making things difficult," Nightmare declared, frowning. "Iwill focus on suppressing Peter. Do what you must. They had their chance."

"If the Nightmare we've been fighting was the future version, is this the one from the present?" Patricia questioned, shielding her eyes with a hoof as the surrounding winds intensified. "This day hasreallysucked."

A maniacal laughter echoed across the airwaves before the darkness rushed into Nightmare's body. The stallion cackled wildly. "You should've laid down. Now, I'll have to put you all down like the dogs you are!" he exclaimed, his voice malicious and sadistic. The once somewhat subdued tone was replaced by that of a manic voice. A pair of tendrils sprouted from the stallion's back, both slamming into the ground with enough force to shatter the stone. "I'm not nearly as gentle as my friend. Try not to break too easily!"

Meanwhile, Mayday watched the battle unfold, wincing as Nightmare lunged towards the group and swatted each mare away with ease. "Isn't there something that we can do?" she whispered, clutching at the crystal ball in her hooves.

Nightmare waved a hoof, causing one of the tendrils to lash Luna, Patricia, and Twilight into the air. He sped forth, whipping the second dark vine around Gwen's neck before snatching her high into the air and slamming her into the earth headfirst with enough force to generate a crater. Patricia hopped onto the stallion's shoulders from behind just as he readied to finish the blonde, but Nightmare pulled the mare to the side, slamming his hoof down with an overhead strike. The stallion stomped onto Spider-Mare's back, bursting the mare's frame through the stone with a vicious crack. Swiping a hoof to the side, Nightmare unleashed a wide, black wave, knocking the two alicorns from the sky.

Mayday alternated her gaze between Eris and the stallion while he slowly advanced towards her mother and god-aunt. "Mom and the others don't stand a chance right now!"

A burst of magic ignited hoof-lengths away from the filly, causing her to glance in its direction. Once the light dissipated, Discord stepped forth haphazardly and staggered into position. Many bandages were wrapped around his body, covering burned spots within cinged fur while a talon was slumped over in a sling. Wincing in pain, Discord held his silence before placing a paw over the crystal ball.

The glass orb shattered, dissolving while the being inside vanished from sight before materializing into existence mere hoof-lengths at her normal size once more. Bewildered, Mayday blinked at both draconequi, but Eris held a knowing glare, tapping a foot impatiently against the ground. Discord frowned at his female counterpart before glancing to the side, avoiding her gaze. A long silence filled the air between the pair, with one waiting for the other to say their piece.

With a disgruntled sigh, Discord finally met his counterpart's gaze. "You were right."

Eris grinned, holding an open paw against her ear. "I'm sorry. Could you repeat that? You were mumbling."

Discord rolled his eyes before clearing his throat. He knew Eris would not make this easy, considering that she was technically him. "You were absolutely right. I pushed Peter too far," he declared, clearing his throat. "Had I taken his feelings into consideration likeyouhad, the Nightmare wouldn't have surfaced, let alone doubled." Eris continued to stare at Discord with a coy smirk, earning a frustrated groan from the male draconequus. "That's all you're getting from me at this juncture."

Eris grinned contently, chewing on her tail playfully. "I'll take it. It's a victory, nonetheless."

Mayday stepped between the pair, concern evident in her eyes. "That's great and all, but what're we gonna do about Nightmare?"

Slow to respond, Eris folded her arms before exhaling. "To be honest, I have no idea. I still haven't recovered from my time on Earth, and it's painfully apparent that Discord can't remedy the situation either."

Discord placed a talon over his throbbing cranium, groaning. "Nightmare has ascended past chaos and reached anarchy. Our only hope is for Peter to break free and cease their control himself." The draconequus paused, furrowing his brow in thought. "However, that would be impossible at this point in time, considering that it was Peter himself who yielded to Nightmare willingly."

"There's still a way. Peter has suppressed Nightmare before, and he's still fighting against her now," Eris replied, pursing her lips. "It took a great deal for Peter to give in over a lengthy amount of time. At his absolute lowest, she seized control, but I believe with a fresh start, Peter can regain dominance. Even still, it won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination."

Eris's words echoed throughout Mayday's mind like a broken record, prompting the filly to murmur to herself. "Fresh start. Start over." Her hazel eyes widened at a belated realization before she suddenly dropped and rummaged through her knapsack. Discord and Eris paused at the filly's change in demeanor, unable to make sense of her actions. Mayday's ears perked as she squeaked a response, retrieving a small vial filled with a clear substance before extending it to the draconequi. "This thing you gave me a while back… Would this work?"

Taken aback, Eris inhaled sharply. "By the stars! Is that... what I think it is!?"

"I'd given it a lot of thought. About what would've happened if I had poured this stuff into the murky water that day." Mayday glanced to the vial briefly in thought as she approached Discord. "It would've reset the water back to plain old clear water, right? At least, I'mpretty surethat's where you were going with it."

"You never cease to amaze me, young Mayday," Discord coolly declared, nodding before chuckling under his breath. "I'm surprised you deciphered what the serum's properties possessed."

Passing the vial to the male draconequus as she reached him, the filly tilted her head, eyeing the liquid curiously. "Just whatisthis stuff anyway? And why did you give it tome?"

"The Serum of Order," Eris answered, folding her paw and talon across her chest. "Its properties are the exact opposite of what we are, as Spirits of Chaos. The serum is meant to restore order. Rather, it's meant to fix what's broken." The female draconequus glared at Discord from the corner of her eye. "Knowing Discord… or myself… he knew what would happen to your home and created it to restore it. It would certainly be a good test before giving it to your father. However, when I transported you all to Earth, that threw his plan out of sync."

"This is improvisation at its best and worst," Discord huffed, shrugging with a grin. "It's an improvement, nonetheless. We're just forced to move ahead of schedule right now."

Eris stared sternly at the vial with a concerned gaze before glancing to the side. "I know you planned to give Peter the serum in years' time. Itishis due purpose, but isn't this a bit soon? You know if you administer the serum and Peter rejects it, he can never take the dosage again. He'll... never achieve his true destiny."

Discord inhaled deeply before sighing. "Eris, the world is in absolute chaos because I abused my power and disregarded those around me to fulfill my own agenda. This very reason iswhywe chose Peter. I've watched him since the very beginning. For every dilemma he was thrust into, Peter always found a way to restore balance." Closing his eyes, the draconequus smiled. "I knew Peter was the one the second he used the Infinity Gauntlet to return his universe to normal without abusing its power. Nothing is impossible for him. Peter is the yin to our yang. It's what he's meant to do."

Eris bit down on her lip, wanting to object, but she soon nodded, sharing a glance with her male counterpart. "Okay. You're right. We'll just hope for the best, but do remember that the dear has his limits." She paused, shifting her gaze to the battlefield before narrowing her crimson irises on Nightmare. "Unfortunately, we still have to administer the serum, and neither of us are in any condition to try that."

"Does he have to swallow it?" Mayday questioned, eyeing the substance within the vial.

Discord shook his head. "No. You just have to dab a little on him via skin contact, and everything else will fall into place."

Mayday eagerly nodded, tossing her knapsack to the side. "Okay. I'll take care of it!" However, before the filly could make any progress, a bright burst of light ignited in her direct path mere inches away. Princess Celestia stepped forth from the light once it dissipated, and her usually perfect snow-white fur was plagued with scars and bruises. Even still, the alicorn stood with poise, and Mayday could only stare at the sight with her mouth agape. "Princess Celestia? What are you doing here?"

"I heard everything," Princess Celestia said as her horn glowed, causing the vial in Mayday's possession to disappear from sight in a burst of light. Just as the filly readied herself to protest, the alicorn faced her with a smile. "Don't worry. I'll administer the serum. It's much too dangerous for you to attempt such a feat." Sobering, Celestia turned away from the filly and faced the plains as the others attempted to engage Nightmare. "Consider this my apology for never explaining my actions to you. As an innocent child, you have every right to know the truth."

Mayday tilted her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Many eons ago, I lost my sister because I wasn't vigilant enough to notice the signs of her downward spiral into darkness. After Luna's banishment, I learned that corruption can rise from the noblest of intentions," Princess Celestia whispered as traces of flames began to rise from beneath her hooves. "I sought only to ensure that Equestria would thrive in peace and prosperity. As a society, we have grown and advanced, although not at the grandest of speeds. I even questioned myself on my methods over the eons. Once I learned of Peter's homeworld and its mtechnological advancements, I asked him if my methods were harsh and confining."

Mayday's eyes widened as she leaned on the alicorn's words at the mention of her father. "What did he say?"

Princess Celestia raised her gaze skyward. "Many things. He mentioned that for all the advancements that were made to help mankind, just as many were made to ensure their destruction. Antibiotics. Automatic weapons. Infinite energy supplies. Nuclear warheads. Tony Stark's intellect. Ultron." The alicorn inhaled deeply and sighed. "I believe that's why he willingly went along with my method of advancement: slowly but surely. Peter has witnessed the best and worst of both worlds. All I could do was move forth at a pace that is best for everypony. As a ruler, it's all I could hope to uphold. I hope you can come to understand that as you mature."

Her words were spoken with unkindled kindness, Mayday could only revel in what the princess said with mixed emotions, of understanding and regret. "You're right." The filly glanced to the side shamefully, rubbing a hoof against the backside of the other. "I'm… really sorry, Princess Celestia. I should've looked at things from your perspective a little more."

"Apology accepted. I should've done the same with you… and somepony else. I just hope he isn't prone to taking such extreme measures again just to prove a point," Princess Celestia grinned, stealing a brief glance at Discord from the corner of her eye. "You're exactly like how Twilight Sparkle was during the early years of her tutelage under me: highly intelligent yet blissfully unaware of the smaller things in life. If your mother can mature into a wonderfully responsive and caring adult, then I am confident that you will do the same."

As if sobering, the princess closed her eyes at a thought. "Eris. There's something I want you to do for me."

"What is it?" Eris hesitantly questioned, taken aback by Celestia's lowered tone of voice.

Meanwhile, Nightmare towered over Luna with a tendril wrapped tightly around her neck. The mare strained to breathe while using her magic in a desperate attempt to loosen the vine's vice-like grip. The stallion grinned evilly, pressing a hoof forward, and the tendril tightened further, threatening to snap Luna's neck. Suddenly, a white streak blurred through the sky and sped toward Nightmare from overhead.

A tingling sensation chimed in the back of his head, prompting the stallion to release his hold and hop back out of harm's way. A glaive had imbedded into the stone where Nightmare previously stood, with Celestia wielding the weapon via telekinesis with a stern glare. The stallion furrowed his brow at the garbless alicorn, as she stood without her crown, chestplate, or hoof-shoes. Prying Ignus Solaris from the ground, Celestia spun the weapon before lowering into a defensive stance and charging straight toward the stallion at full speed.

The color in Nightmare's eyes darkened as a feral expression edged into his features. The world slowed as the tips of one of the tendrils sprouting from his back sharpened, resembling blades in their own right. Inches apart, Celestia howled before lunging her glaive with all of her might, but Nightmare roared, uppercutting the blade of the mare's weapon. A thunderous crack echoed across the vicinity as Ignus Solaris cracked, snapping in half with the blade spinning into the air. A glint of light gleamed in Nightmare's eyes, prompting the tendril to shoot forward.

The world halted as a trail of blood shot out across the air and landed on the ground. Everypony on the battlefield paused, staring at the center. Princess Celestia breathed in short intervals with a widened gaze as blood escaped from the corner of her mouth. She slowly shifted her line of sight downward, eyeing the black tendril that had plunged through the center of her chest and back. However, the alicorn managed a smile, shifting her gaze to the stallion.

Nightmare stood with a stunned expression, blinking as a clear substance dripped from his face, and the source came from a now empty vial, hovering via magic from Celestia mere inches away. The glass tube fell to the ground, shattering on impact. The color in Celestia's eyes faded from a vibrant violet shade to a glazed tone before shutting completely. The clear substance seeped into Nightmare's fur and burned brightly, emitting a light. The tendrils retracted back into his body as he staggered back, causing the princess to collapse in a pool of her own blood.

The light shifted, morphing into a bubble shield around Nightmare as he fell to a kneeling position. He clutched at his throbbing cranium, screaming at the top of his lungs before his image faded behind the luminous energies. Suddenly, the outer shell of the barrier darkened to a shade of black, hovering several yards into the air. It soon slowed to a halt, maintaining a place in midair.

Meanwhile, Luna rushed to Celestia's side with tears streaming down her face. Twilight joined her side, inhaling sharply upon spotting the gaping cavity in her chest, but she collapsed, bursting into an uncontrollable sob. All life had already left Princess Celestia's body, transcending to the plains beyond. Eris levitated toward the group, forcing down the lump in her throat at the sight. Mayday rushed to her mother, prompting Twilight to embrace the filly before bursting back into a sob.

Discord stared at the sight from afar, unable to shake the guilt from his face and heart. He held a paw over his face as a lone tear to streamed down his cheek. "By the stars… what have I done?"

Gwen limped to Eris's side, alternating her stunned gaze between Celestia's corpse and the orb hovering in the sky. "Why? Why did she do that? I don't understand!"

Eris inhaled deeply before sighing. "Princess Celestia… gave Peter the Serum of Order. Its magical properties are meant to return an individual to their original state, but it could only work through direct skin contact." Clearing her throat, Eris fought back her building tears. "Nightmare was too powerful. So she willingly took a death blow to provide an opening… to give Peter a chance."

Twilight turned to face the female draconequus with bloodshot eyes, her face stained with tears. "A chance to do what?"

Slow to respond, Eris lifted her gaze at the black and white orb. "A chance to redeem his soul and erase Nightmare for good, but… it's a battle of the mind and heart. Peter will have to conquer two Nightmare forces on his own." The draconequus shook her head, grimacing as Luna's sobs grew in volume. "Peter.Please. Conquer your greatest fears and come back to us. Everypony can't afford to lose to you, too."

To be concluded...

PreviousChapters Next