• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 4,161 Views, 48 Comments

Spiders and Magic IV: The Fall of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn

  • ...
84
 48
 4,161

PreviousChapters Next
The Lake of Tears

Chapter Four "The Lake of Tears"

The journey from the village in the mountains was tedious, only due to a certain filly's rash actions and his own willingness to sulk. Peter inhaled deeply before sighing. This wasn't anything new by any means. On Earth, he was chastised, berated, and slandered by the media and his peers alike. While that was minimized in Equestria exponentially, Peter still had his share of critics, but at the most, they were a minor annoyance, barely registering a second thought to the stallion. However, he could not possibly fathom hearing the words that came out of his own daughter's mouth.

In the span of a few hours, Mayday went from Peter's biggest fan to his most disgruntled critic, blaming him for all of her problems. Peter groaned as he slowed to a halt, massaging a hoof over his pulsating temple. The entire day as a whole had left a lot to be desired, with the kidnapping of his daughter, a ruined birthday party that had taken weeks to prepare, and sore eardrums earned from a shrieking banshee. The stress in Peter's life had been mounting enough as it was due to what Twilight believed to be post traumatic stress disorder. It only made his anxiety worse, knowing that he had an appointment with a psychiatrist coming in a few days.

Considering that his spider sense had been fluctuating to where it could sense magic or shut off entirely, Peter could only wonder if his stress had something to do with these inconsistencies. The stallion shrugged, unable to answer his own question. He readied himself to venture home, but a faint sound reached his ears, prompting him to look towards the direction of the source. It was a melody, harmonic yet desolate, and it seemed to be coming from the lake. The area itself was used as a getaway, specifically for Peter and Trixie. Arching a brow, the stallion followed the sound, curious as to who else was using the spot. Peter walked across the open path, traveling through the bushes.

The melody grew louder as he neared the lake, and a twinge of sadness suddenly pulled at the stallion's heart. It was as if he could feel the inflection in this voice. Eventually, Peter reached his destination, pausing upon spotting a mare sitting on the bank of the lake. Her violet/blue mane was pulled back into two pigtails as the wind whipped them both about. She was completely engrossed in her singing, oblivious to the stallion watching her from a few hoof-lengths away. Her voice was almost angelic, matching that of the heavens, yet it harbored a sense of sadness that bore deep into the stallion's chest.

After some time, she eventually ceased, pausing to wipe away the tears from her face with a hoof.

A chilling breeze brushed against the mare's fur, causing her to shiver involuntarily before sniffling. "Fur is so overrated," she whispered, succumbing to a harsh sneeze. The mare froze in her tracks once a sound reached her ears, and she swiftly turned around, spotting a light stallion standing upright on his hind legs while clapping. She hastily wiped her face clean before glaring at the intruder. "How long have you been standing there?"

Peter chuckled sheepishly. "Not long. Sorry about that. I was just passing through when I heard you singing." The stallion gave the mare a bright smile. "Ihadto stop and listen. You have abeautifulvoice. My name's Peter by the way. What's your name?"

Taken aback, Aria felt the temperature in her face rise considerably in spite of the surrounding wind chill, but she upheld her dismissive demeanor, scoffing before glancing off to the side. "Thanks, I guess. The name's Aria." The mare cleared her throat. "Why were you passing through here anyway? Isn't this place sort of out of the way of anything?"

Peter shrugged. "Why would I not? This is a really peaceful spot. I always come here whenever I'm feeling down. There's just something about this place." Walking to the edge of the bank, the stallion brushed his hoof through the cold water before staring intently at his rippled reflection. "It always feels like I can come here and let my feelings out. I guess you came here to do the same?"

Aria frowned. "More or less. I made a terrible mistake earlier today. I just needed to clear my head a little." The mare inhaled deeply before sighing. "It's... been a long time since I last came here. Everything looks so different now."

"You should come here during the spring. The scenery is really something else then. It's really pretty. Not as pretty as the Winsome Falls, but I'm pretty biased when it comes to that comparison. Blame my wife for that," Peter grinned, scratching the back of his head.

Aria let out a small chuckle at the stallion's antics. "Well, they do say that every stream, lake, and ocean has a story..." She trailed off, averting her gaze skyward and staring at the puffy creations floating blissfully. "For example... did you know that it was a siren who created this lake?"

Peter's eyes widened at the mare's question. "Wait, seriously? Actually, now that you mention it... I don't know anything about this lake." The stallion folded his hooves and hummed, as if deep in thought. "My wife researched the lake's background, but there's nothing written on it."

Aria's expression faltered as she turned her gaze back to the water. "That's not surprising..."

Peter raised an eyebrow. "Why do you say that?"

Aria shook her head. "Oh, just that the incident that formed this lake happened eons ago, long before Starswirl, Luna, and even Celestia were born," she muttered, almost growling at the mention of the magician's name in particular. "Legend says that a siren once lived in this lake and fell in love with a pony who happened across it one day. It was a fleeting, forbidden relationship, but they were happy with what they had. The stallion would come to meet her here every day. He was humble and caring, never once bothered by the siren's far different appearance from his own. He loved her for her heart, and she would always sing for him. Their relationship was truly wondrous."

Peter furrowed his brow. "What happened?"

Aria was slow to respond, facing the stallion with an unreadable expression. "Time. Sirens essentially have eternal life, so long as they feed. This meant…" She trailed off, kneeling at the edge of the bank and dipping a hoof in the water. "The siren watched as her lover slowly grew older, powerless to stop it. Eventually, time got the better of the mortal stallion, and he passed on. The siren was left heartbroken, stricken with grief from the loss of her first love. For ages, she would cry every day and night until her tears eventually filled the lake itself."

Aria shared a glance with the stallion. "That feeling you experience? That's the magic of the lake left by the siren's tears. Anger, sadness, doubt, and grief... It brings out all these negative emotions you are harboring until they've all drained away."

Peter blinked, alternating his gaze between Aria and the lake. "Whoa. That's pretty heavy stuff. It explains a lot, actually. I'm grateful, though. It's because of this lake that a friend of mine and I are as close as we are." The stallion paused, sobering. "Whatever happened to the siren?"

Aria huffed, glancing off to the side. "Legends says she debated on ending her life to stop the pain. However, she remained at the lake, continuing to mourn her loss until another pair of sirens found her some time later. Beyond that?" The mare shrugged. "Who knows? Not much else is known about the siren or her whereabouts."

Peter continued to hold his gaze on the mare as her expression softened. "I see. Do you want to talk about what happened toyou? That might help you feel better. This lake helps everypony express themselves, right?"

Aria blinked, holding a bewildered gaze. "Why should you care? You're a complete stranger."

Peter nodded with a smirk. "While thatistrue, I'm still willing to lend an open ear. You'll be surprised at how good it feels when someone listens to you." The stallion held a genuine smile. "Besides, I'm a strangernow, but Icanbe a friend if you allow it."

Holding her silence for a few seconds, Aria silently debated with herself as she gazed at Peter with a blank stare before the corner of her lips curled into a small smile. "You sort of remind me of my best friend. She's always so upbeat that it drives me crazy, but I can't help but like her." The mare's ears lowered shamefully as memories of what she had done resurfaced in her mind. The inside of her chest ached, prompting Aria to place a hoof over her beating heart. "I was upset and said some horrible things to her. I could tell that I hurt her really badly, and… I might've just lost my best friend because of it."

While the mare fought back her building sniffles, she shivered involuntarily as a cold breeze brushed against her fur again. Peter managed a smile, shaking his head. "No way. That's impossible. Everypony has disagreements. That can't be helped, but it's a matter of coming to an understanding. If you said some things, then just tell your friend how you felt at the time and apologize."

"Is it... really that easy?" Aria questioned, arching a brow.

"It's only as hard as you make it," Peter countered, folding his hooves before chuckling. "Now, you're reminding me ofmybest friend. It seems like you're afraid to let your true feelings show. If you're anything like her, it's because you don't trust easily, or that you were hurt pretty badly in the past. I'm not one to make assumptions, though." His eyes softened. "My best friend had it rough. As a result, she really has a hard time showing her emotions and trusting those around her, but she managed to give me a chance. We've been inseparable ever since, and I almost mean that literally." The latter of the statement was delivered through a whisper.

Aria frowned as she gave the stallion a look of uncertainty. "What are you getting at?"

In spite of the chilling wind, Peter's smile remained as warm as the approaching spring season. "I'm guessing that your friend obviously had to work to earn your trust. If that's true, then you should know by now how irreplaceable your friend is. That's why I think it's simple. I doubt your friend would give up on you that easily. If my best friend was upset with me, I'd do everything I could to earn her forgiveness, because… she's one of a kind."

Bemused, Aria only stared at the stallion, but with a defeated shrug, the mare finally chuckled. "That's a really simple-minded thing to say, but it makes so much sense. I guess it's because I know that my best friend would say the exact same thing." Nodding, Aria let out a low sigh and waved her hoof dismissively. "Fine. I guess I can go find her and apologize."

The stallion gave the mare an affirming nod. "That sounds good. I know your friend would really appreciate that." Peter's eyes widened at a belated realization. He took a few steps back, stealing a glance at the trail before returning his gaze to the mare. "Speaking of which, I'd better hurry home and apologize to my daughter." The stallion grinned, waving as he ran off. "It was nice meeting you!"

Just as quickly as the intruder came, he was gone. Aria scoffed a response, unaware that her smile was still intact. She eventually mirrored his actions, turning in the opposite direction before departing. Aria paused, her mind holding an image of the stallion's cutie mark. It looked familiar, but she couldn't quite place it. Shrugging, the mare dismissed the thought and carried on.


What was meant to be the best day in Mayday's life turned out to be the absolute worst. Her birthday was once again ruined by her parents' celebrity status. Any hope of leading a normal life would forever be out of reach due to her father's intervention. The filly stretched out across her bed, letting out a desolate sigh. Mayday sat in the confines of her bedroom, alone in the Treebrary for what felt like an eternity. After stowing her father's glider back in the cellar, the filly simply dwelled on her thoughts before burying her face into a pillow.

Her home was not usually this quiet, to the point where one could hear a pin drop, considering that the expanded Treebrary housed her father, mother, baby brother, Spike, Aunt May, and Auntie Trixie. There was also Owlowiscious, but his presence was barely felt more often than not, since he was the only nocturnal member of the family. Ursa would have fallen under that same category, seeing as Minors and Majors were usually nocturnal, but that wasn't the case due to her domestication. Mayday couldn't feel more alone at the moment.

The filly exhaled, rolling onto her stomach before pressing a pillow over her head. "Worst. Day. Ever." A soft set of knocks tapped against the bedroom door. Mayday's demeanor instantly darkened, evident by the glare formed in her bright hazel irises. All hints of sadness morphed into anger, and the filly was poised to direct all of it at the source of her misery: her father. The door creaked open, prompting Mayday to release a growl. "I'm still not talking to you!"

"I see your mother was right," a mare's voice coolly declared, causing the filly to spring up and acknowledge Trixie as she walked towards the bed with a smug grin before taking a seat along the edge. "Youareupset, aren't you?"

"Auntie Trixie! I'm sorry!" Mayday hastily replied, quickly pulling herself to a sitting position. Inhaling deeply before letting out a low sigh, the filly shared a glance with the mare. "I'm not mad atyou. I just..."

Trixie raised a hoof as the filly trailed off, shaking her head while holding a smile. "I know, Mayday. Your mother's already filled me in on all the details... quite thoroughly, I might add." The mare's violet eyes softened as Trixie reached out and wrapped her hooves around Mayday's body, pulling the filly into a warm embrace. "I'm just glad that you're okay. I was so worried when your mother woke me. I almost panicked when I learned you were missing."

Mayday frowned once they parted, glancing off to the side. "I keep trying to tell everypony that I wasn't kidnapped, but nopony seems to believe me."

Trixie huffed, placing her hooves over Mayday's shoulders. "You know, for how intelligent you are, you sure can be as dense as your parents sometimes." She let out a low sigh, taking a seat on the bed alongside the filly. "Look at the situation frommyperspective. One moment, we're together talking. Then the next, I come to, and you're nowhere to be found. To make matters worse, every guard in the courtyard is put under a powerful sleeping spell,andwe find a note that all but declares that you're going to be converted into some cult." Brushing a hoof through her silver-blue mane, Trixie closed her eyes and shrugged. "What, exactly, does that sound like to you, Mayday?"

Blinking, Mayday was slow to respond as she stared at the mare with bewilderment. "That... sounds like a kidnapping." Her cheeks flushed to a shade of pink as Trixie nodded, content with the filly's answer. Mayday's hoof fell over her forehead. "I didn't know about the note. Oh no, I'm such an idiot!"

"Nowdo you see why your parents acted the way they did?" Trixie asked with a hint of a smirk. "Your father and mother were simply concerned for your safety, as we all were. I would've gone with them, had they let me. The reaction is quite universal among parents who love their children. I'd have been rather disappointed in both of them had they not responded as they did. You're their daughter after all."

"Fine. I get that, but what about my cutie mark?" Mayday whined, holding her gaze towards the ceiling. "I just wanted to be normal, but that's never going to happen now."

Trixie pursed her lips before straightening her posture. "I understand why you would want to remove your cutie mark and hide from all of the attention. You want to be your own pony, but I would have to side with your parents on this one."

Disheartened, Mayday's frown deepened. "I knew it."

Trixie huffed. "Not so fast now, young lady. I only say thatbecauseof your cutie mark, and its meaning, or lack thereof, rather."

Mayday tilted her head to the side. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Trixie smiled as she lightly poked her hoof against the center of the filly's chest. "You have something special, something nopony else has. While your cutie mark is a merge of your mother and father's, it doesn't necessarily signify anything in particular. That means you can quite literally become anything that you set your mind to. Look at your parents, for example. Your mother is a librarian at heart. She also just so happens to be a princess as well. Same for your father. Sure, he's a hero and an inventor, but he's also an idiot that happened to somehow stumble his way into royalty and knighthood. The sky's the limit for everypony, including you. Your cutie mark is not a boundary, a limit, or a definition of who you are. It's a key to unlocking the door to your true potential. It's up to you to find out what that is."

Mayday managed a smile. "I never thought about it like that."

Trixie returned the gesture, chuckling. "Sometimes, a pony gets so focused on the finer details, that they forget to take a step back and look at the big picture from time to time." Patting the filly's shoulder, Trixie paused. "So, how are you feeling now? Better?"

"Yeah. Well, mostly…" Mayday trailed off, looking down in thought.

The mare raised an eyebrow. "Mostly? What's still on your mind?"

"Daddy," Mayday simply whispered, brushing the side of her foreleg with a hoof.

"Oh, that's right. This is about your birthday, isn't it?" Trixie questioned, folding her hooves.

Mayday hesitantly nodded, pursing her lips. "Yeah, but it's not just that. I love Daddy, but lately, he's been so... overbearing." The filly's voice cracked as she attempted to clear her throat. "Don't get me wrong. I love the attention, but it's getting to where I can hardly breathe anymore. I just want to be my own pony."

Trixie smirked. "By all accounts, you're still a preteen. It's a bit too soon for you to venture out completely, but I do understand where you're coming from. You're at the age where you need some space. Fathers are very unusual when it comes to their daughters. It's perfectly natural for them to be overprotective and overbearing. It's only out of love, and we can't fault Peter for that. However, it's up to him to gauge how far he goes. Peter's an idiot, so I think he just needs a reality check." The mare forced a laugh. "I swear. Peter reminds me ofmyfather sometimes."

Mayday tilted her head to the side. "How so?"

Trixie was slow to respond, smiling as she averted her violet gaze to the nearest window. "He has the best of intentions. Peter spent weeks making sure your birthday party was special for his little princess. Some of us tried to warn him that it might've been a bit much, but as far as Peter was concerned, when it comes to you, too much would never be enough."

Mayday let out a slow sigh. "I know, and I really am thankful for that. I just wish that he would lay off sometimes."

Chuckling, Trixie gently poked the filly in the forehead. "That, my little pony, is whereyoucome in. You have to be upfront with him about these sorts of things, because your father's an idiot and can't see it for himself. However, for as dense as he can be at times, he's a great listener when you directly approach him with thoughts or concerns. Children always think their parents would never understand their problems. You'd be amazed how simplistic the solution is if you just speak your mind."

Mayday's ears lowered into her mane. "Do you really think Daddy will listen to me?"

Snorting involuntarily, Trixie playfully nudged the filly. "If he finds ways to listen tomyproblems, there's no question that he'll do the same for his daughter." Both ponies paused as the bedroom door creaked opened, with Peter peeking his head inside before he swiftly retreated upon spotting Trixie and Mayday's gazes centered on him. The mare grinned, forcing herself from the comfort of the bed. "His timing is as impeccable as ever. I'll leave you two to talk. Remember what I said, Mayday."

The door opened once more, creaking in protest as Peter finally entered the room while Trixie walked past him. However, the mare stopped in her tracks alongside the stallion, whispering words only his ears could capture. Mayday watched both adults with a concerned expression, their silence only adding to her building anxiety. Eventually, Trixie continued on her way, leaving Peter alone with his daughter.

Silence plagued the room, forcing both ponies to dwell in their thoughts. This was surreal in itself, considering that Mayday and Peter were notoriously known for not knowing when to keep their mouths shut. After what felt like countless eons, the stallion took a step forward, holding his gaze with the filly's matching hazel eyes. He struggled to decipher the words spiraling across his mind, stammering about before recollecting his nerve.

"Hey. We should talk," Peter whispered, extending a hoof to the filly. "There's something I want to show you."

Mayday bit down on her lip, nodding before accepting the stallion's gesture. "Y-yeah. Okay."

-u-

The trip to the lake was brief, lasting only a few minutes, yet it felt like hours, the duo having spent the entirety in agonizing silence. Stopping along the edge of the lake, the stallion and filly stood by each other's side, hesitant to share a glance. A breeze brushed through, rustling the leaves in the trees as both ponies finally made eye contact. The inside of their chests tightened as the tension swelled between them. Something pulled from within, desperate to breathe. It was their love for each other, wanting to bloom.

"Hey…" Peter and Mayday whispered simultaneously, pausing once their hazel irises met.

The temperature in the filly's face rose, evident by her rose-tinted cheeks. Mayday cleared her throat before motioning with a hoof. "You can go first."

Peter's eyes softened. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry, May." The filly blinked, taken aback by the stallion's direct response. Peter took in a deep breath of the cold air around them, stealing a glance at the lake before returning his gaze towards Mayday. "I know you had high hopes earlier, but I only did what was for your own good."

Mayday let out a small laugh, shaking her head. "Oh, I'm not mad about the cutie mark thing anymore. Auntie Trixie told me about everything, including the note." The filly lowered her gaze, brushing a hoof through the snow on the ground. "I was too stupid to realize that I was kidnapped, and I snapped at you for coming to my rescue. I said a lot of stupid things I shouldn't have." Mayday winced as the inside of her chest tightened. Attempting to level her building emotions, she bit down on her quivering lower lip. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

As if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Peter's smile widened until he showed off his teeth. The stallion brushed a hoof affectionately against the filly's cheek. "It's okay, sweetie. We've both made some mistakes, but there's something you need to know."

Mayday leaned into her father's hoof. "What is it?"

"This," Peter whispered before he lifted the filly's tiny frame into his hooves. In spite of his immense strength, the stallion held his daughter with the utmost care, squeezing her lovingly yet cautiously, as if she was a dainty flower. "No matter how old you become, you'll always be my little girl. I just want you to be happy. It doesn't matter what you set out to be… as long as it's not horribly illegal," he added with a chuckle, earning a giggle from the filly. "I'll support you no matter what, because in my eyes... you'll always be a princess to me."

Mayday couldn't contain the light blissful feeling trembling within her belly, smiling as small tears formed at the corners of her eyes. "I love you, Daddy," she squeaked, nuzzling further into her father's warm embrace.

"I love you, too," Peter grinned, cherishing the tingling sensation burning inside of his chest.

"Can I ask you for something?" Mayday interjected, hesitantly parting from the embrace. Peter's eyes widened as he held his silence, offering a response in the form of a small nod. She let out a low sigh. "I love that you care, but do you think we can tone it down a bit? I'm not really a celebrity, and I don't want to be. Less is more, you know? Is it all right if I just have smaller birthday parties from now on? You don't have to do so much for me."

Peter chuckled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head with a hoof. "Trixie and your mother warned me that you would probably think the party was too over the top. It's not surprising. You've always had relatively simple tastes, just like your mother." The stallion shrugged before placing his hoof over the filly's head, mussing her mane. "Then again, you areourdaughter. All right. I promise that next year, we'll only invite immediate friends and family."

"That's a start," Mayday giggled, kissing Peter's cheek. "Thanks, Daddy."

Peter chuckled, his cheek practically burning before his eyes widened at a late realization. "Oh! Mayday! There's another reason I wanted you to come out here. You want to hear something cool?" The stallion walked over to the bank of the lake, motioning with his hoof for the filly to come to him. "Did you know that this lake is enchanted with magic?"

Mayday walked until she could see her own reflection on the watery surface of the lake, fully aware that she was positioned perfectly underneath her father. "Whoa! Really?"

Peter nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, but that's not all. There's actually a lot more to this lake than meets the eye. Like how it was made by the tears of a siren."

Mayday looked directly up to her father suspiciously. "Okay, now you're just pulling my leg."

Peter grinned. "I'm serious!"

As the stallion told the filly about the siren's tale, a figure watched from afar, concealed by the shadows of the forest. The mare's lips curled into what appeared to be a genuine smile as Aria turned and departed, leaving her newly acquired friend alone to bond with his daughter.

PreviousChapters Next