• Published 27th May 2012
  • 1,889 Views, 39 Comments

A New Harmony - The-rogue-shadow



With two elements of harmony down, and a new threat approaching, replacements must be found.

  • ...
3
 39
 1,889

Chapter 11

Twilight lay on her bunk, a book open before her, the apple she was eating held aloft by her magic. She felt uneasy as Pinkie's dark blue eyes rested on her in intense concentration.

"Pinkie. Stop staring at my eye." Twilight said casually, not lifting her head from the book.

"I'm not staring at your eye Twilight." Lied Pinkie. Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"Then what are you staring at?" she asked the Party pony.

"I'm uh staring at your horn." Pinkie lied again.

"Then stop staring at my horn." Twilight responded.

"Oh I'm not staring at your horn; I'm staring at your creepy eye… Oh wait." Pinkie realised what she had said and took off out of the tent, embarrassed. Twilight smiled, glad to have Pinkie back, even if she was annoying. She did notice that Pinkie was having trouble adjusting to what the group had become. Twilight had requested that Pinkie be shipped home to Ponyville, but Celestia had denied it, saying that she would prefer to keep a close eye on her. Twilight worried about her friends, but she was more worried about herself and what she was becoming. At night she could smell the fresh scent of blood and hear the screams of the Minotaur and griffins she had killed. But what scared her most was that she didn't mind. It had become second nature to her now, as though she had been doing it all her life. Twilight snapped out of her trance as a messenger approached.

"Miss Twilight, Princess Celestia would like to see you in the special ops tent immediately." The messenger told her. Twilight nodded and placed her book down, making her way towards the door of the tent, before realising that she still had to put her armour on. She looked over at her new armour. Rarity and her team had done a great job at insulating it against the cold, as well as adding a dye to the metal, turning it white. The last thing Twilight put on was her hidden blade. She had made the decision a while ago to use it on top of her arm instead of the bottom, making it easier to use, but more visible. The leather around the mechanism was dark, stained with blood. Twilight breathed it in; the smell of iron gave her a strange comfort. She left the tent, the cold winter winds latched on to her exposed skin. She looked around at how it had changed on the camp. They had moved a lot closer in the sixteen months since the war had started. The pony camp now rested where the griffin camp had stood on the first day of battle. The new archer's stage was now a built structure rather than a natural formation. Fluttershy had insisted upon having one. Twilight watched as ponies returned from a recent battle, frost bitten and exhausted, Big Mac was among their numbers. She waved, and Big Mac nodded his greeting. Twilight arrived at the special ops tent, which was black, for no other reason than ambiance, Twilight reasoned. Inside were Princess Celestia and the Doctor, gathered around a table, a map in front of them.

"Twilight, thank you for coming." Said Celestia. Twilight smiled, always happy to see her mentor. The Doctor looked at her and nodded, the serious look on his face unnerved Twilight.

"Hello Princess, you wanted to see me?" Twilight asked. Celestia beckoned her over to the table.

"Twilight, as one of my best warriors, I am charging you with a very special mission." She said. Twilight puffed out her chest; deep feelings of pride arose in her.

"You can count on me Princess" Twilight replied, smiling.

"I wish we didn't have to." Piped up the Doctor. Twilight raised an eyebrow in response. "I wish that we didn't have to send you on this mission, purely because of the danger associated with it."

"Whatever the mission, I'm confident that Twilight can handle herself." Celestia cut him off, narrowing her eyes at The Doctor.

"What is the mission?" Twilight asked, eager to do anything for the princess.

"We learnt that the de facto ruler of the griffin empire, Prince Alistair will be giving a speech to the citizens of the Griffin capitol of New Grifburg. Seeing as how his father Gregor is away, Prince Alistair is the main power in the griffin empire. Your mission, Twilight, is to go to the griffin capitol, and assassinate Prince Alistair." Said Celestia.

"What! Princess, I don't think…" Started Twilight.

"You must Twilight. As your friend, I ask you. As your commander I order you, and as your Princess, I demand it." Celestia boomed. Twilight looked at the Doctor, who could only shake his head, offering no advice. Twilight sighed, realising that she had no choice.

"When do I leave." She asked.

"As soon as you can. The speech takes place in three days. You have until then to kill him and get out of the city. We can take you most of the way, but you will have to go into the city on foot. Go see Rarity, I had some equipment made up for you." Said the Doctor. Twilight looked at Celestia one last time before she left, as though asking if it was one of her pranks. But Celestia stayed stony-faced, and Twilight walked out.

"Assassinate" she said to herself, rolling the word around in her head. She went to Rarity's tent, still the same one she had been moved into, although Rarity was no longer trapped inside by her own fear. She had even accepted the best of the stallion researchers back onto her team. Twilight was exceptionally pleased in her progress. Upon entering, she saw Rarity; her lips were attached to Black Diamond's. Twilight looked away, embarrassed. Rarity finally noticed her after a minute and pulled away, blushing.

"Oh Twilight, I'm so sorry you saw that. Are you here for your equipment?" asked Rarity. Black Diamond whispered something in her ear and left.

"I'm glad to see you and Black Diamond are happy again." Said Twilight, winking. Rarity blushed even redder.

"Yes… well. I have your new gear over here, and for the record. I'm sorry that you have to go on this mission." Said Rarity, hugging Twilight. Rarity led her over to a box, opening it; she pulled out a white and red cloak and hood.

"So this simply lovely outfit is fully insulated against the cold, features a hood that will conceal your identity and has lots of hidden pockets for storing anything you think may be useful." Rarity explained, handing it to Twilight, who took off her armour and slipped it on. Twilight noticed that it was a lot more comfortable than her armour.

"Now I know you favour the hidden blade, so I made this one just for you darling." Rarity continued, handing Twilight a new hidden blade. The leather was embossed with her cutie mark and a very ornate 'T.S' in fancy calligraphy. The Blade itself was made out of a much shinier metal than her other one. The actual metal part was only on the outside, the core of the blade was made of a purple gem.

"Thank you Rarity." Said Twilight, smiling and hugging her friend.

"It was no problem Twilight. I just wish you didn't have to do this." Rarity said, hugging back just as tightly.

"Just promise me you will come back Twilight."

"I promise Rarity." Twilight left the tent and slowly made her way back to the special ops tent. Suddenly she was pulled in between two tents. Pinkie pushed her up against some supplies that were being stored there.

"Twilight, please don't go on this mission!" Pinkie said.

"Pinkie? How did you even hear about the mission?" Twilight said, stunned at the revelation.

"Twilight, really, you expect me to NOT know about something like that." Said Pinkie sarcastically. "But the point is that you can't do this mission."

"You honestly think I want to do this?" Twilight yelled, pushing Pinkie away. "Do you really think that I can kill in cold blood? On the battlefield, it's different, it's hot and fast and I'm doing it to protect myself. But… This time… I'm only going to kill because I am ordered to."

"I know Twilight, but I'm worried. I don't want to lose my friends. And if you do this, I will lose you." Pinkie said, her ears stuck close to her head and her voice was quiet.

"Pinkie, I promise that you will not lose me. None of you will ever lose me." Twilight said. Pinkie grabbed Twilight, pulled her close and kissed her. Twilight was too shocked to resist. Pinkie broke it off and blushed. Twilight just stood there, her mouth open.

"Pinkie…" she began. Pinkie put her hoof up to Twilights mouth.

"Be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one, Twilight." Pinkie said, before turning and leaving. Twilight stood there for a bit longer, stunned, watching Pinkie walk away. Twilight began to walk over to the special ops tent, confused, Pinkie's words and the kiss swirling around in her mind.

"Are you ready Twilight?" asked Celestia. Twilight looked up at her, and couldn't help but feel a bit betrayed.

"Yes Princess, I'm ready." Twilight said, flipping up her hood, which covered her horn, giving the impression of an earth pony. Princess Celestia bowed her head, her horn glowing with white energy. Twilight was teleported, finding herself in a forest. Twilight walked up a small hill and looked at the city she was about to infiltrate. The city of New Grifburg, it was a large city by pony standards, but in the griffin empire, was only an average sized city. The main reason it was the capitol was because of the palace, which was nestled in the heart of the city. Twilight started to walk towards the docks, where trader ponies were still accepted, regardless of the war, the world of trade and the money that went with it was still going on. Once there, she quickly blended into the ponies, becoming invisible to the guards that patrolled the streets. Twilight spent the next day getting herself ready, finding out where the speech was planned to take place, and getting herself mentally prepared. During her first night sleeping on the streets, Twilight was appalled at the extensive amount of homeless. She saw them everywhere, begging for the smallest scrap of food, to be turned down or brutalised by the guards. The second night, the night before her grim task, Twilight stole some apples for herself, but as she settled down in an alley to eat, discovered a whole family of griffins living in the same alley.

"What caused your misfortune?" She asked, sharing her food with the starving family. Making sure to keep her hood low over her face, so as to not disturb them with her eye. The mother of the family spoke to her.

"We were forced out of our home by Prince Alistair and Princess Gilda. In Emperor Gregor's absence, they have raised taxes to a point where all but the richest are forced out of their homes. The guards are corrupt and not above brutalising us. My father, a griffin of the church, once tripped in front of Princess Gilda's path. She… She had him beaten and killed in public. We are all too scared to do anything about it. If only Gregor was not blinded by his love for his daughter, he would return from war and set things right." It was then that Twilight understood why she had been sent, it was not to destabilise their society, but to save it.

"Will Princess Gilda be at the speech tomorrow?" She asked, hoping to kill two birds with one stone. The Mother shook her head.

"No, she does not attend many speeches; she only leaves the castle to for one reason.'

"Which is?" asked Twilight.

"It is said she kidnaps ponies and tortures them, and that she only leaves the palace to hunt." Twilight felt the rage build up; she gritted her teeth resisting the urge to scream in anger.

Twilight woke up early the next day, well before the family she had helped. She made her way to the square where the speech was taking place, and waited, out of sight. Despite the cruelty of Prince Alistair, a large crowd showed up. Fanfare accompanied the Prince's walk onto the stage. He was the spitting image of Gregor, but younger and thinner.

"My loyal subjects, I stand before you today to tell you that the war is going to plan, that we will be victorious and that Celestia will feel the cold steel of my father's blade. But he needs your help, so, effective as of today, I am raising taxes a further five bits." Proclaimed Alistair. Twilight began to make her way towards him, his lies making her want to end his miserable life all the more. She pushed through the crowd, picking up speed. She neared the front before any guards became suspicious. They made their way towards her, spears and swords shining. But in a move that even surprised Twilight, the guards were halted by the citizens of the city, as if they knew the reason for her being there. Alistair spotted her and turned, making his way off stage. Twilight leapt up on stage and chased him; he threw off the cloak he was wearing, stretching his wings for take-off. Twilight used her magic to throw some knives at him. They hit him in the joint of his left wing, Twilight smiled as she heard his scream of pain. Now grounded, he pushed himself harder, but Twilight hounded him. Not giving him the chance to rest. Alistair climbed some stairs, heading for a rooftop. Twilight followed, their chase slowly coming to a close as Twilight gained on him. Alistair came to a large gap; he flapped his wings, but could not bring up the strength to get himself off the ground. Twilight tackled him as he turned, and they both went sailing off the roof to the street below. Twilight felt the impact through her hooves. Alistair groaned with pain as Twilight extended her new hidden blade. The purple gem glowed in the light, as if thirsty for blood. She planted it firmly in Alistair's heart. As he gasped his last breaths of air, Twilight asked;

"Why?"

"Because I am not my father. Because Gilda is not my father. Because we are better than them, better than you, Pony." Alistair said the last word as a curse. Before the light faded from his eyes. Twilight retracted her blade, allowing herself a deep breath.

'I want to go home' she thought.