• Published 27th May 2012
  • 1,886 Views, 39 Comments

A New Harmony - The-rogue-shadow



With two elements of harmony down, and a new threat approaching, replacements must be found.

  • ...
3
 39
 1,886

Chapter 15

Rarity brought the hammer down again and again, the dark purple metal slowly bending to her whims. She put it back into the heat, taking a few deep breaths as the metal heated up. Again she pulled it out, and again she hammered, trying to get the right shape as the stubborn metal glowed red with protest. The sweat rolled off her face, blackened with soot, and she knew she looked disgraceful. The metal was dropped into a bucket of water, and gouts of steam followed. Rarity stepped back so as not to burn herself. As the Metal cooled, she prepared the final touch, gently tapping a chisel into a gemstone, shaping it with a craftsponies keen eye for detail. She pulled the metal out of the bucket, now shaped exactly as she wanted. The white gem was set into it, a half moon, almost completing Princess Luna's Breastplate. Rarity picked up the chisel again; minute patterns centred around the gem took form. The patterns were special, and would glow in the darkness of Luna's night. Finished with the decorative aspect that she prided herself on, Rarity completed the breastplate fully, adding clasps and straps to make it fit on Luna's slim frame. Proud of her work, Rarity sat back, panting, as the final piece of Luna's armour was finished. She felt a presence next to her, a familiar one and smiled as Black Diamond kissed her cheek.

"I can't believe how attractive you look right now." He said, making Rarity blush. She knew she looked terrible, covered in soot, sweat and grime. She turned and kissed him on the lips, flattered at any rate.

"Oh really? You like dirty girls?" she asked playfully. He nodded, smiling even more.

"Well too bad, I plan on having a bath as soon as possible." She said, standing and walking to her room in the tent, which in reality was just a walled off section around her workstation and bed. Black Diamond followed her in, and watched as she wetted a cloth with some water and wiped the soot off her face.

"So what are you doing now?" he asked. His platoon had been given the rest of the day off as the griffins weren't fighting due to a religious holiday, and the ponies decided to respect their request. Rarity looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

"I am going to drop some clothes off for the foal, tell Luna her armour is ready and then take a nice bath. That, darling is what I am going to do now." She said. Black Diamond nodded, and Rarity noticed a look of nervousness in his eyes, but ignored it. Rarity gathered up the foal clothes and push past Diamond, kissing him quickly.

"You CAN tag along if you like." She said, as Black Diamond looked around awkwardly. He smiled and followed her. The snow was light today, as winter was nearing its end, pegasi flew through the sky, reminding Rarity of Ponyville and how soon, Winter Wrap up would be commencing. She sighed, wishing she could go home to participate in the celebration. All that she had at the front lines were letters from Sweetie Belle. Her latest one had made Rarity cry, as it told her that the Cutie Mark Crusaders had finally gotten their cutie marks. Rarity wished that she could have seen her sister when she had found her special talent. From what Sweetie Belle said, her cutie mark was an open scroll with a note on it, as her special talent turned out to be writing and singing songs. Applebloom's was a painter's palette over the top of a hammer, signifying her ability in building and decorating. Scootaloo's was a wheel with fire coming off it, as she realised her ability in speed on her scooter. Rarity had written back, praising the girls on the achievement and telling them that she would be home soon. Rarity had never mentioned to Sweetie Belle or her parents what had happened with Tinker, not wanting to upset them, as well as not wanting to relive it. Rarity looked at Black Diamond, who still seemed uneasy.

"What's with you today? You seem… restless." She asked. Black Diamond turned to her, and his awkward returned.

"Do I, I'm sorry. It's just well… to be honest there is two things; the first is that Luna scares the hay out of me, and I don't know why, and the second is… I wanted to ask you something." He said, before stopping. Rarity walked up to him, looking straight into his eyes.

"What is it darling?" she asked, not sure where he was getting at. Black Diamond sighed, obviously nervous.

"Okay, firstly, I understand if you say no, but. Big Mac and Fluttershy got me thinking, and this is going to be my last tour of duty for at least five years… so my question is… Can I spend those five years, and even the rest of my life with you?" His voice was quiet, only audible enough for Rarity to hear. Rarity felt it bubble inside her, an explosive happiness.

"YES!!" she yelled. Black Diamond was knocked onto his back, not expecting an outburst like that. Rarity helped him up, kissing him hard, and the happiness she felt was all consuming. Other ponies looked at the two, and then turned away, embarrassed. Rarity broke off the kiss, dragging him along.

"We have to tell everypony." The first stop was Derpy and the Doctor. Rarity handed over the clothes for Sparkler and told them the news. The Doctor shook Diamonds hoof, but stopped when he overheard Rarity say to Derpy;

"I think it's your turn next." They left and headed for the main tent, finding the rest in with Luna. Upon telling them the news, Big Mac hugged his friend, before suggesting a double wedding. An almighty cheer erupted from everypony, except for Luna, Rarity noticed. Luna walked over to the couple, bowing her head.

"As the ruler of Equestria, I give you my blessing." She smiled, but weakly. That evening, they celebrated, Rarity and Fluttershy discussed dress options, Big Mac and Black Diamond drank cider that Big Mac had brought from home, but they all had a good time. It was well and truly dark when Rarity returned to her tent, pleased with the progress of the day. She had never gotten around to the bath, but was too exhausted to care. She prepared herself for bed, brushing her hair and putting on a nightgown. A voice behind her made her jump, she turned and realised it was Luna.

"Oh hello Princess, your armour, of course, I completely forgot, it's finished if you would like to pick it up." She said. Luna shook her head.

"Thank you Rarity, but I am just here for advice." Luna sat on Rarity's bed. Rarity was surprised to hear that a Princess had come to her for advice.

"What is it you need advice on?" she asked, sitting next to Luna. Luna smiled weakly, moving a bit closer to Rarity.

"It's such a silly thing for a Princess to think about but… I need to know about love." Luna said, her head drooped at Rarity's look of surprise. "See, it is silly."

"Not at all Princess, what seems to be the problem?" asked Rarity, putting one hoof around Luna.

"It's just that I look at you all, and I feel nought but envy. You all have found love in one way of another. Although in my day, a love such as Pinkie and Twilight's was not expressed openly, or talked about for that matter. Which made things difficult for me." Luna explained. Rarity clicked after a moment as to what she meant.

"You're a fillyfooler." She said, watching Luna's eyes well up.

"And Now, I look at foals like the Doctor's and I can't help but wish that I had somepony special to share my life with, to create a foal that would be the ultimate expression of our love. I… just want… to… be… loved." Luna started to cry, the lonely tears of a pony that time has forgotten. Rarity hugged the Princess, unsure of what to say or do to console her. Luna pulled out of the hug slightly, looking into Rarity's eyes. Luna quickly started kissing Rarity, who tried to pull away, but the Alicorns strength meant that she couldn't. After about a minute, Rarity began to relax, starting to even enjoy it, much to her surprise. Then she remembered Black Diamond, and managed to push Luna away.

"I…I'm sorry Rarity, was it not enjoyable?" Asked Luna. Rarity wanted to say yes but her rational side took over.

"It wasn't that Luna, it's just that I'm with Black Diamond and this technically counts as cheating." She explained, hoping not to offend her. Luna nodded her eyes downcast.

"I understand Rarity, and I'm sorry that I compromised your honour. I don't know what came over me I…I…I-"Luna stuttered, embarrassed. She stood and ran out of the tent, once again with tears in her eyes. Rarity watched her go, feeling bad for Luna. But what scared her the most was that she liked the kiss. Confused, she snuck into Black Diamonds tent and dragged him back to her own. She kissed him, feeling guilty. Her confusion got worse as she realised she liked kissing Black Diamond just as much. Rarity spent the night with her betrothed, but couldn't fully enjoy herself, thinking back to Luna.

The next day, Luna returned, but this time it was to pick up her armour. Luna couldn't look Rarity in the eyes, as she helped Luna put her armour on. The other ponies left for lunch, leaving Rarity and Luna alone, as Rarity made adjustments to the armour.

"Princess, I'm sorry if I insulted you last night. I was just surprised, that's all. And I do have a confession, I…I did like it." She told Luna, who smiled.

"Then you are like me." She said happily.

"That's just it your majesty, I like kissing Diamond as well. I'm just so confused." Rarity said, looking straight into Luna's eyes.

"I am truly sorry to have brought this upon you Rarity, it was not my intention. I wished only to have a kindred spirit to share myself with." Said Luna. Rarity was heartbroken for her; to have lived a thousand years with no physical contact must have been torture. She sighed, knowing what she had to do, both for Luna, and herself. Rarity knew that if she didn't, her feelings of confusion would stay forever, and Luna would forever feel alone.

"I have a proposition Princess; one that I think will benefit us both." Rarity explained the plan to Luna, who seemed at first apprehensive, then slowly got used to the idea. Luna agreed, and Rarity took a deep breath. She kissed Luna, and felt the same confusing feeling as the night before. Luna used her magic to shut the tent door and fastened it shut, so the two wouldn't be disturbed. Rarity and Luna spent the rest of the afternoon together, exploring. By the end, they just lay next to each other panting. Luna was smiling, happier than she had been in centuries, but Rarity, while she enjoyed it, felt guiltier than ever. She turned to Luna.

"I can't help but feel guilty, your majesty." She told Luna, who still smiled.

"I know Rarity, but has this given you any clarity on your problem?" Luna asked. Rarity nodded, she saw no other choice.

"Do you think you can keep this a secret?" she asked. Luna looked at her quizzically.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I can't bring myself to choose between you both, I see no way to do so without breaking the other's heart. So I'm asking if you are willing to continue, but in absolute secrecy. I can keep my lips shut if you can." She said, a little forcefully. Luna nodded, then leant over and kissed Rarity, who smiled, and kept telling herself that it is the right thing to do. Luna left a little later, and Rarity finally took her much desired bath, letting the events of the last two days be mixed with the steam and scented water. She thought of Black Diamond, and of their wedding. Then her thoughts turned to Luna and her want of a foal. She groaned in frustration, uncertain of her plan. She suddenly heard her name being called. It was Black Diamond's voice, she called out his name and he walked it, blushing at his fiancé in the bath.

"I…uh just wanted to see how you were, and if you wanted to do anything tonight, like have dinner together maybe." He said, and Rarity nodded. Black Diamond walked out. Rarity facehooved, wishing she could just choose, but knowing that she couldn't. She got out of the bath and dried herself, when Luna walked in, the same smile on her face as before.

"Greetings Rarity, I was doing some war planning when I thought of a way for you to clear your conscience. Why not enjoy Black Diamond and myself at the same time." Luna said. Rarity looked at her in disbelief.

"Are you kidding? I don't think he will want to do that." She said. Luna smiled.

"Yes he will, I already asked." She said, Rarity opened her eyes wide, stunned that she broke the secret so quickly.

"WHAT! What happened to keeping the secret? He is going to hate me now." She yelled dramatically.

"No I won't." Said Black Diamond from behind her, she turned, scared of the reprisal.

"Princess Luna explained the situation to me, and while I don't think it's ideal, I understand. Rarity, I do however, wish you had told me beforehand. I don't hate you Rarity; I actually think that you are doing something sweet for a good friend, awkward as it may be. And if you want, I'm fully prepared to share you with Luna." Diamond said, smiling. Rarity looked at him, unsure of his sincerity. He kissed her, then Luna kissed her, Rarity smiled, the confusion gone and knowing that she was loved by two great ponies gave her a sense of belonging and safety, she felt like she was home again.