• Published 21st Aug 2015
  • 1,691 Views, 43 Comments

Power Ponies: Origins - Epicdiscord214



What happened before Anar D, Arcanus, and Grogar? Read for yourself.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,691

The Test

"Me, the Masked Matterhorn?" Twilight asked sweating with nervousness. "Come on. Princess, you have to see how silly it is."

"Twilight, it's all right." Princess Celestia said. "I've always known."

Twilight widened her eyes and couldn't believe what she heard. "You... you have?"

"Why else wouldn't I forward the SPA?" Princess Celestia asked. "Only a unicorn as talented as you could do what the Masked Matterhorn did."

"And she's going to do more." the Oracle said. "The time is drawing near, your majesty. She... is coming back."

Princess Celestia's face went from proud to frightened in a heartbeat. She stumbled to her side and nearly fell over.

"Princess, is something wrong?" Twilight asked.

"No." Princess Celestia gasped. "No, it can't be. How?"

"The stars are almost in perfect position." the Oracle explained. "They'll act as a bridge for her return. And she will come back tomorrow night."

"Would someone tell me what's going on?!" Twilight asked in a demanding tone. "Who are you talking about?"

Princess Celestia took a sigh before speaking. "Are you familiar with the legend of the Dark Alicorn?"

"Of course." Twilight answered. "As I remember, she was an alicorn, almost as powerful as you. But then she turned bad and you trapped her in the moon."

"She wasn't just an alicorn." Princess Celestia said. "You see... she's my sister, Princess Luna."

"WHAAAAAT?!" Twilight shouted.

"I know. I haven't told anyone this in centuries. It all started back when she was as innocent as you and me. Back then, we had our simple royal duties. I would bring the sun up during the day and she would bring up the moon during the night. Over time, Luna couldn't help but notice how all the ponies were excited during the day, but tired during the night. Soon, that jealousy turned into envy. And that envy is what attracted the Asteroth."

"The what?" Twilight asked.

"The Asteroth is a deadly and dark energy in the form of flowing liquid." the Oracle explained. "No one knows where it came from or what it was made for. All we know is what it did when it found Luna."

"It made its way into her soul and bonded with her." Princess Celestia continued. "She wasn't the same after that. She gained a tremendous boost in dark power and tried to overthrow me. I tried to reason with her that it was the Asteroth talking, but she wouldn't listen. So... I had to do the unthinkable. With what little magic I had left at the time, I banished her to the moon. Over time, most ponies have forgotten all about my sister. They thought she'd never return. But I never forgot and I could barely move on."

"That throne next to yours," Twilight said, "It's hers, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid so." Princess Celestia said. "And now, there's a chance for her to escape. Oracle, what must we do to prevent this?"

"Nothing." the Oracle said. "You may be powerful, princess, but even you can't change the stars' positions. There's nothing we can do to keep her from coming back."

"Then all is lost?" Celestia asked.

"I never said that." the Oracle said. "I said we can't stop her return, but there's still hope to stop her."

"Really?" Twilight asked. "How?"

"In the big city of Maretropolis, there are five superheroes who can help. But they can't do it without the Masked Matterhorn. You must travel there and team up with them. Only together can you purge the Asteroth out of Luna and stop the coming threat."

"Are you sure?" Twilight asked. "Other than Spike, I don't know the first thing about being on a team."

"You'll learn." the Oracle said. "Trust me. This is your test."

"My test?" Twilight asked with a gulp in her voice.


A few minutes later, the door opened beside Spike and Twilight walked out nervously.

"That was quick." Spike said. "How'd it go? What do you have to do?"

"I... have to stop... the Dark Alicorn." Twilight confessed.

"The Dark Alicorn?" Spike asked. "I thought that was just a ghost story that's supposed to happen a long time ago. How's that important?"

"I'll tell you on the way to Maretropolis."


Meanwhile, quitting time had started and all the employees went home at the exact same time. When Green Locks went back to her house, her boyfriend, Briny Deep, was waiting with a box of pizza on the table.

"The oven was broken, so I decided to order a delivery."

"Thanks Briny, you're a lifesaver." Green Locks said gloomily.

"I... take it that it wasn't a good day." Briny Deep said.

"You don't know the half of it." Green Locks said. "I tried being late, I tried to fail at my position, but I just can't get fired. Do you have any ideas, sweetie?"

"The only thing I can think of is get the factory shut down," Briny Deep said, "But that's nearly impossible. We're going to need quite a scandal. Uh, dear, if you don't mind me asking. Why are you trying to get fired? Weren't you looking for a job?"

"That was years ago." Green Locks said. "I don't need that job anymore, but now I can't get out of it. You're lucky to have a job you love at that sports store. I hate my job. I tried to take it to the authorities, but they can't lay a hoof on Starlight. So if a scandal is what I need, then I need to find one. And I'll do whatever it takes to discover it."

The next morning, a royal carriage waited for Twilight and Spike to enter with their big bags. Spike already got in while Twilight was approaching it. Suddenly, she looked back and saw a figure disappearing around the corner.

"Twilight, is something wrong?" Spike asked.

"I... thought I just saw someone watching." Twilight said. "But it's probably nothing. Come on, Spike. Next stop: Maretropolis."

As soon as the carriage flew away, the hooded figure looked back and glared at the unicorn leaving Canterlot.

Author's Note:

Obviously, the Dark Alicorn mentioned here is based off of NightMare Moon. More about Briny Deep later.