• Published 31st May 2012
  • 2,702 Views, 27 Comments

Synthetic Discord (a Rainbow Factory retake) - discord7



Rainbow Dash is known as the Element of loyalty, but does she have a deep dark secret...

  • ...
9
 27
 2,702

Pinkie Pie

Pinkie was easy to trick, all I did was send her a fake letter telling her she was invited to a party for a new mare in town. I waited in the dark room for her. Mallet in mouth, Scootaloo was right beside me. As I waited I thought about my dream last night. Why were they there, suspended in the air like dolls not moving or talking? And what was that glow that made them come to life. As I remembered the dream the image came to mind, the eyes, they looked so dark and cold.

Unforgiving, had I really betrayed my friends for a simple taste of fame that may not even come? This was the first time I questioned my actions. My loyalty was it fading with every passing friend. I shook the thoughts aside as I heard Pinkie hopping up to the door.

She opened it. "Hellooooo!"

She was expecting the party to be there already, but instead saw a dark room with the lights turned off. I was beside the door; the sudden burst of light hurt my eyes. But I had to stay focused. Pinkie continued.

"Oh, are we still hiding are we gonna pop out and yell 'SURPRISE' when she arrives?" She squealed in her high pitched voice, then, no response.

I laughed behind her, and then turned on the lights. It blinded the both of us, I recovered first.

"Surprise." I said and swung the big wooden mallet.

"Dashie–" She began but was cut off by a THWACK!

Scootaloo and I shoved her into the brown burlap bag. Once again we had successfully captured another bearer of the Elements of Harmony, I laughed in her face just to be sarcastic of her element. When we got to my factory, I strapped her in and let the fun begin. Pinkie Pie was a prankster, I wanted to get her back for the pranks she pulled on me. Her mane lay flat as she hung her head.

When she woke up I was looking her straight in the eyes, smiling widely. She cheered up a bit her mane proofing up again.

"Oh thank goodness Rainbow." She began. "I had a terrible nightmare that I was invited to a party. And when I got there nopony was there and the room was so dark. Then you were there and you hit me in the head." Suddenly she twitched as if remembering the pain. "Ow, I guess my head still hurts, ha-ha." She tried to move her hoof to hold her head, but found it secured in place.

I continued to smile, only blinking as she looked me in the eyes.

"Dashie what's going on?" She sounded scared now, they always sounded scared, her mane deflated.

My smile turned to a grimace as I put on a more serious face for the very occasion.

"Oh, well don't you know Pinkie," I began, "you are at the party, surprise!" I laughed sarcastically and then burst into laughter.

Pinkie looked confused

"It's your party Pinkie you should be happy, nopony in Equestria will ever get to see you again, instead your happiness gets to be spread all over making the world safe." I explained, Pinkie continued looking dumbfounded. I thought this was going to be fun; I walked over to the dial.

"It'll all make sense soon enough." I told her turning the dial.

"Dash?" Pinkie whispered as I had my hoof on the lever, I looked over to her staring at the ceiling; she had tears in her eyes. "I may not know what's going on Dashie, but you've been my friend for so long," she sniffed, "so I trust you." She said with a smile her mane puffing up.

I smiled, and pulled the lever. I watched as my pink friend writhed in agony and let out her last scream, the color drained from her coat and mane. I watched it fade, and then walked over to her as the machines cut her open and prodded the organs inside. I looked at her; the eyes which were locked on me, her tounge lay limply out of her mouth.

The machine cut, and continued the motions of my operation. I went back to the switch. I pulled it. Again the color drained from the pony. I began to think, was this really worth it? Had I betrayed my friends, as well as my Element of Loyalty? All that was left was my friend Apple Jack. It was too late to turn back now I would have to finish this. But after this extraction I would shut down the Rainbow Factory, I couldn't take this anymore. I thought at first I was doing something great for Equestria, but lately I was questioning my decision. All this did now was bring me pain, lost friends... and nightmares.

I looked over to the once happy, colorful pink mare whose head was turned to me. Her eyes completely blank, if I had to guess the last thing she saw was me.



That night the same horrible nightmare plagued my dream. I walked down the familiar dark tunnel, and even though I knew what awaited me I continued to walk. I wanted to stop and turn around but my hooves kept taking me to the dark destination. I reached the place where my friends hovered, silent. This time they were already awake, staring at me cold, and dark... judgmental. Even Pinkie, who said she trusted me, it was as if when she passed she had seen why I did it. She seemed to take back her trust, I had betrayed our friendship. They each stared at me judgmentally, silent like the other times. I pleaded silently looking from one to the other.

They each shook their heads and turned around, one by one. Fluttershy, then Twilight, Rarity, and finally Pinkie Pie, who glared the longest finally shook her head and turned her back on me. The glow faded from them and the auras once again receded into the shadows. I awoke again in a cold sweat; I was beginning to become fearful of sleep now. I had to finish though; tomorrow I would take Apple Jack. I wasn't going to sleep, I couldn't

My last friend, and my last extraction. I could no longer continue this; I had founded the Rainbow Factory, but could no longer manage the operations. Tomorrow after Apple Jack was finished I would tell Toggle that we were shutting down. He would nod, as he didn't speak much anyways, and we would cease anymore operations at the facility.

I had no idea of the impending disaster. I thought that Equestria was going to remember the Rainbow Factory as the facility that kept balance in the world. But instead I now saw that it was a disease. It had to be stopped, I created it, but even I saw the evil it could become. How the power to hold the switch to another ponies life had made me like this. I would not allow this to happen to anypony else. I had done enough damage. Ponies all over the world were missing now, posters of colts, mares, and foals, all missing because of me. I could no longer continue this, it caused them pain and now, it had caused me pain too.

Soon it would be over… or so I thought.