• Published 31st May 2012
  • 2,696 Views, 27 Comments

Synthetic Discord (a Rainbow Factory retake) - discord7



Rainbow Dash is known as the Element of loyalty, but does she have a deep dark secret...

  • ...
9
 27
 2,696

A Call to Cloudsdale

It had been three months since the Discord incident; the pegusai had called a meeting to order in Cloudsdale. That's where I was going; I knew what I had to do. I grabbed my schematics and took a look in the mirror, my rainbow colored mane ruffled as usual. I had studied on the effects of how Equestria ran ever since Discord arrived. It seemed I was the only pony who questioned why Discord suddenly broke free, everypony else just accepted it.

It turned out that in olden times every year ponies would sacrifice a small bit of happiness or something special to them to the god Discord. He would feed off the joy it brought them. Then he would allow them to be safe another year. Celestia did not approve of this she and Luna trapped Discord in his stone imprisonment.

After that ponies stopped making sacrifices, but as it turned out Discord not only caused disharmony, he also controlled harmony. Without him, magic gradually became weaker; the disharmony he caused created a balanced in the natural flow of magic in Equestria. Without it magic in Equestria slowly withered away.

I had been designing this machine over these three months; it had to be presented to the council. They had to know that this is how to keep Discord away, forever. As I flew I prepared my speech. I entered through the large cloud doors of the chamber. Inside sat every adult pegusai in Equestria. I took my seat and awaited the elders to begin the council.

Finally it began, I felt light and giddy feeling as I thought about my moment. The elders started.

"Let the meeting be called to order," The old Pegasus began, "For centuries, it has been the wise and powerful pegusi who have protected this land of Equestria even under the muzzle if Celestia."

All the ponies nodded, the elder continued.

"But for the first time, the elders do not have a solution to the problem at hoof; Discord the god of Disharmony was released once who's to say that in the future he will not release himself again."

Apparently I hadn't been the only one who questioned it, that shortened some explanation time.

"So we must turn to you young foals for an answer." The elder finished, everypony looked confused, and they had come to hear the plan not come up with one.

I broke the silence.

"I have been working on a solution." I stood everypony was surprised to hear that I already knew about the subject

I began by telling them the tale of olden times of Discords rule, how the ponies would make a small sacrifice of happiness to the god so that they could keep themselves safe, and then how it was Celestia who threw the world of balance by eliminating Discord.

"My plan is to build a 'synthetic Discord' if you will, or at least something to a controllable equivalent." I explained.

I pulled out my blue print and opened it.

"Machines that will extract a small amount of happiness from each volunteer, and–in the form of a rainbow– release it into the sky, therefore keeping Equestria safe and Discord in his prison." I finished, all the pegusai stomped their hooves.

"It seems that everypony agrees," The elder thought for a minute, "then let construction on your facility begins immediately."

I grinned, not because I had my way but because I had fooled them all. My machine wouldn't just take a small amount of a subjects happiness, no. That wasn't enough, I needed more, and I wanted to keep Equestria safe for millenniums to come. Happiness, it was an unlimited supply, as long as there were creatures walking there was happiness. I would be known as the most loyal of all ponies in Equestria, my name would be bigger than Celestia. This was my legacy, this was my Rainbow Factory.



Three weeks later my machines had a factory to operate in. I walked through the doors; my engineers already had the very first test subject. A small white bunny, it had needles and probes pricked around its body. It looked terrified, I went over to it. I smiled he seemed to calm down.

"It's ok Angel Bunny," I told him, my smile turned into a grimace it seemed to cause it discomfort, "it'll all be over soon. Let the extraction begin!" I told them.

One of the engineers turned a dial a bit and prepared to pull the lever.

"What do you think you’re doing?" I rushed over.

"Umm, making the extraction?" He replied.

I turned the dial to full power, "B-but you said it would me a small amount?" The engineer stuttered.

"So what, you don't want everypony in Equestria to be safe?" I challenged, "This facility is our duty and if any of you refuse you'll be offered too. This is what we have to do."

Some looked scared others looked stern I took mental note of the ones who would most likely be loyal, and of the ones who would most likely be next. They understood that this was what we had to do.

"Now!" I started; I put my hoof on the lever and pulled it down.

Angel opened her mouth to scream, but my design stopped the speech part of the brain per the cranial needles. I couldn't have anypony hearing the screams. I watched as the probes absorbed the purple haze coming from Angel’s body. I watched as it was mixed with rainbow juice and formed into a pool on the other side of the room.

The color drained as her happiness faded. Her head fell, then she looked up at my, her eyes looked tired.

"There's still more." I said.

"But Rainbow Dash, this is your best friends pet." The engineer argued.

"Fluttershy has plenty of pets, she won't miss her." I pulled one of the probes out and grabbed a scalpel.

All the engineers were shocked now at what I did next. I cut into his chest, it made no movement as if she couldn't even feel it. His eyes just looked up at the ceiling, empty. His guts spilled to the floor, the colorful organs and blood. I knew it had so much life still left.

I probed all of the organs. I saw him, still looking up at the ceiling, still lifelessly. I stuck a probe in each eye, still color. I didn't want him looking at me. I went over and flipped the lever, even more haze. The colors of the rainbow poured into the pool. The color drained from Angels' organs and from her blood. His eyes closed and his head fell. This was it, I had it all. But I still wanted more... we needed more tests.