• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,657 Views, 27 Comments

A Funny Little Thing Called Love - Eggtaro



You all know what love is: it's an emotion --- a feeling that we feel but don't fully understand. Love can fill us up with profound feelings of joy, or stab us deep with a long sharp knife. Love can be funny. Love can be painful. Love can be amazing.

  • ...
10
 27
 2,657

What is Love?

What is love, exactly?

We all have asked ourselves this question at some point in our lifetime, haven't we? Now, now, don't be shy to admit it, for there is nothing to be ashamed of in the first place. The question is a common one. It isn't rare, nor is it a stupid one. Us humans have this insatiable thirst for knowledge --- and fully understanding human emotions is one of them.

So, do not be agitated if someone were to ask you the question. Just tell them how you feel, what you think, what you believe. For there is yet to be any real answer for the question, if there is any at all. Each and everyone of you have (or will) experienced love in your own way --- no two humans will go through the same experience as you did. If it did? Life will be just plain boring.

You won't find an answer to the question by reading this story, however. So, please, do not get your hopes up. What you will find from this story, however, is how one dude discovers, experiences, and accepts love into his life. No, it isn't the love you'd have for your family, nor is it the love you'd have for your friends.

Nay, the love that our hero will experience and feel is the love one gets when one falls in love with a girl --- how falling in love teaches love to the once loveless hero. A lesson about love.

Did that make any sense to you? No? That's love for you, pal.

So, where does our story begins?

* * * * * *

It has been over a month since the incident at the Battle of the Bands, where The Dazzlings were defeated by the hands, and voices (and musical instruments) of The Rainbooms. Peace has once again returned to Canterlot High --- a much deserved one at that, seeing how much the students have been through already.

The atmosphere at school was cheery and tranquil. It almost felt like nothing else could go wrong. It seems that the peace and quiet the students of Canterlot High so desperately wanted, was finally at hand. The Wonder Colts would finally be able to spend the rest of their days in Canterlot High normally.

But, like in life, nothing last forever. At least, not for Sunset Shimmer's case.

Our story starts on a fine Tuesday morning. The Sun was shining brightly, the birds were singing merrily. Even the air smelled sweet and refreshing. Sunset Shimmer loved days like this one, for it makes her happy. She enjoys having the sun's rays dancing gently over her skin and clothes; the warm touch fills her body with energy and strength. It also helps put a smile on her face.

So, there she was, walking down the pathway, headed for school. Due to her apartment being so far away, Sunset has to wake up rather early each and every morning, just so that she could have enough time to walk to school. Although the journey is quite far and rather tiring, she never really minded having to walk to school everyday. In fact, she likes it.

Her friends don't find it as enjoyable as she does though, despite not being the ones actually doing it. The rest of the Rainbooms had tried, many times, to get her to stay with one of them. Not only will this help Sunset get to school faster, but it will also make meeting up with her friends much more easier, since the rest of the band lives quite closely to each other (except for Applejack and Sunset Shimmer, of course).

But, despite all the pleas and begging from her friends, Sunset Shimmer will always shake her head in disagreement. She didn't want to be a bother to her best friends; they have done so much for her already --- she didn't want them to think of her as a burden. Just by being able to spend time with them at school is good enough for her.

Besides, Sunset's apartment isn't all that bad of a place to stay in --- if you could ignore the spiders, termites, rats, flies, cockroaches, homeless people, spider-webs, rat feces, human feces --- you get the idea. But once you get used to it and act completely oblivious to the whole thing, the apartment can be rather heavenly.

Sunset gave her forehead a smack with her hand. Who's she trying to fool, right? Of course she hated the place; the condition of the apartment is so bad even the Devil himself will avoid it. Her apartment just isn't suitable for a person like her. But, the rent was dirt cheap, and she couldn't afford to be choosy at the time.

Sunset let out a heavy sigh and walked more slowly than before; beautiful mornings like this usually put her mood in high spirits, but just the thought of her going back to her apartment later once school was over is enough to make her feel all bummed out.

She really needed a new place to stay; after living in that filthy apartment of hers for more than a year, she figured it was high time she got outta there. The sooner she moved out of the place, the better.

Sunset finds it lucky that none of her friends knew where she lived; Rarity will surely be the first to lose her poop if she ever saw the condition of her apartment; Pinkie Pie would probably find some way to get the whole apartment covered in cake frosting and confetti (which would make things a million times worse); Applejack might drag her out of the apartment and insists that Sunset stayed with the Apple family instead; Rainbow Dash will most probably find the management and give them a piece of her mind; and Fluttershy will be too horrified to even enter the apartment.

Sunset giggled to herself. Yup, she was positive that's how her friends will react if they ever knew about her predicament. She could always count on her friends if she ever needed help. Her best friends, mind you. She is indeed lucky to have such good friends with her. The bond they share between them is a strong one, one that will not be broken easily, and that bond meant everything to Sunset.

But this was something she wanted to handle by herself, without the help or support of her friends. She didn't want them to worry, anyway. They could help with the moving once she found a new place, though.

The only problem is where and how she was going to find a place to stay. Her current home is the only apartment that was near to her school, not to mention the cheapest, though not entirely satisfactory. Other apartments are just way too far, and insanely expensive for a high schooler.

She also needed a place which was close to her part-time job. Fortunately, her current work pays rather well, and that would mean she'll be able to afford a much better place to live in. Much better than her current one, at least.

Sunset scratched her head. There are still so many things to think about, and it is driving Sunset crazy. Finding a new place to stay at this time of the year is going to be tough, perhaps even impossible. Will she even be able to find a new place to stay? Will there even be any new places for her to stay?

She sighed, staring blankly in front of her. Canterlot High was already in view, several students can be seen loitering around the school grounds, no doubt waiting for their friends to arrive before heading into the school building together. A few of her classmates waved at Sunset when they spotted her, who smiled and waved back.

Sunset stared at the clear skies above her, quietly trying to clear her thoughts. There was no need for her to get so worked up right now, right? True, there are a million different things that needed her attention, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't deal with them one-at-a-time; she'll take it slow, and easy --- she'll do all of these things at her own pace.

A small smile formed across her lips. Yeah, she could do this. Life will always have its fair share of ups and downs, but as long as she stays focused and prepared, she'll definitely be able to deal with her problems without any trouble. Besides, if need be, her friends will be there to help he---

SMACK!

"Ow!"

* * * * * *

It was a fine Tuesday morning, the Sun was shining brightly, the birds were singing merrily, even the air smelled sweet and refreshing. A lot of people will definitely enjoy days such as this one. It was one of those days where you'll wake up and feel as if nothing could go wrong, and that everything will go according to plan.

Yes, it was indeed a fine, fine day.

"Urgh..."

Not for our hero, Salami B., though. He hated days like this: the blistering heat, the annoying birds --- everything about this very morning pisses him off. Salami frowned as he cursed silently at the sun rising above his already sweaty head. He shot a murderous glance at the birds chirping on top of a tree branch nearby; if only he had some pebbles with him --- he'll show those pesky birds what he thinks about their singing.


All our hero wanted was another ten minutes of beauty sleep. But did his landlady gave him that luxury? Of course not! Instead of leaving Salami alone in his room, his landlady --- a sweet, but sometimes cranky old lady of fifty-five years of age --- suddenly burst into his room without even pausing to consider knocking on his bedroom door, greeting him loudly.

"Wake up, Salami!" the landlady had shouted, pulling Salami's blankets away, "You shouldn't be sleeping on such a beautiful morning such as today!" she gave his shoulders a little shake. "Breakfast is on the table, dearie." and just like that, she disappeared from his room. Salami had barely opened his eyes when his landlady returned, with a huge stack of pink papers in both her hands.

"School doesn't start for another hour, Dora." Salami muttered, stifling a yawn. "Just give me ten more minutes..." he closed his eyes and nudged his head deeper into his soft, red pillow.

"No, you don't, young man!" Dora grabbed Salami by the shoulder and shook him. "You can't possibly believe that I've forgotten all about your promise now, did you?"

"What are you talki---" but before Salami could finish his sentence, Dora pulled him up into a sitting position, and shoved the heavy stack of pink papers into his face.

"You promised me that you'd help me ask around your school to see if there was anyone interested in finding a place to stay, Salami." said Dora, both her hands on either side of her hips, shaking her head at the sight of our still, sleepy hero. "And I expect you to keep your word!"


A heavy sigh escaped Salami's lips, the memory of the incident ten minutes ago still playing clearly in his brain. He still doesn't get it why he should leave the house so early when Canterlot High was only like a few minutes walk down the road. Shaking his head, he took out a piece of the pink papers from his bag and gave it a quick read:

ROOM FOR RENT

That was it. The entire piece of paper only had three huge words printed on it at the very top, each of it coloured a deep red.

Salami smacked his forehead; Dora was never really good at advertising; many of the important and required information weren't on it: the owner's contact number, the house address, the room's price, just to name a few, for example. None of those were printed on it. Just three words. That's it.

Don't get him wrong, now. Salami loves the sweet old lady, but sometimes Dora can be a little...silly; but since he's already been living with her for more than a month, he can honestly say he'd seen quite a few things that made him have great concern for his landlady.

Salami sighed, returning the paper back into his bag. No doubt he'd need to help redo the entire advert for the spare rooms in the house; and he'll make sure that it will be done properly this time.

Wait.

Salami stared down at his dark-blue shoulder bag, an ominous feeling already spreading across his entire body. He gulped and pulled out the rest of the pink papers. One glance was enough to make his eyes grow wide in horror and send cold shivers down his spine.

Every piece of paper that Dora had printed out were exactly the same as the first one. Three red words. Nothing else.

God help our hero. For he's going to need it when he returns home. Salami continued flipping through the stack. He knew that it was pointless, but he just wanted to make sure of it. He was so into flipping through every piece, that he didn't noticed the girl in front of hi---

SMACK!

"Ow!"

The papers in Salami's hands flew into the air, and he found himself tripping over something (someone?). Luckily, he managed to regain his balance before anything worse could happen: falling face-first to the ground, for example.

The girl he bumped into wasn't as lucky as him, though.

"Urgh..." Salami heard the girl groaned from behind him. Turning around, Salami found the other victim of the crash with her butt on the ground, with his stack of pointless adverts spread all around her.

"Crap." muttered our hero, before quickly heading over to aid the poor damsel.

"Are you alright?" he asked, offering a helping hand to the girl. There was something familiar about the girl: from the black leather jacket, to the light-blue dress she was wearing, even her fiery-coloured hair was familiar. Salami was almost sure he'd seen her somewhere before. But, then again, he might be mistaken; he'd just only transferred to Canterlot High a month ago, two-days after moving-in to stay with Dora.

"Y-yeah..." the girl said, placing her hand on top of his. "I'm just a littl---" the girl paused mid-sentence as she looked up at our hero. "Salami?" she asked, blinking at him.

"Y-yes, that is me." Salami said, pulling her up on to her feet, desperately trying to remember who she was. "I-I'm so sorry for crashing into you..." he quickly dug deeper into his memories, searching for any information that might help him identify the girl standing in front of him. "Er..." It didn't work. He was completely lost.

"You don't remember me?" she asked, dusting herself off with her hands, giving him a glance.

Salami scratched the back of his head. "Sorry...I'm still not familiar with faces around here." he said, avoiding her eyes. The situation was starting to get a little awkward. There he was, standing with a girl whom he can barely recognize. Salami quickly squatted down, and proceeded to pick up Dora's 'hard-work' from the ground.

The girl squatted down beside him, picking up the useless pieces of paper as well. "It's me, Sunset Shimmer?" she said. "The person who showed you around Canterlot High when you first arrived here?"

Sunset Shimmer. The name didn't ring any bells in our hero's head, but --- thinking about it now --- he does remember his first day at Canterlot High, where he was given the grand tour by none other than the very same girl beside him. Salami smacked his forehead, causing several pieces of pink paper in his hand to fall off, startling Sunset Shimmer.

"A-are you okay?" Sunset asked.

"S-sorry." Salami replied, rubbing his forehead. "I just feel bad for not recognizing you."

Sunset giggled, picking up the fallen pieces that Salami had dropped. "Oh, that's okay. Everyone have trouble remembering people all the..." her voice suddenly trailed off as she stared at the papers in her hand. "...time." her eyes widened, and her mouth trembled a little.

Salami stared at Sunset, confused by the sudden pause. "Sunset?"

A smile spread across Sunset lips like butter on bread. She stood up so fast that her knees smacked Salami on the nose. But she wasn't paying attention to any of that; something else had caught her eye. Something huge and red; the answer she's been looking for; the needle in the haystack; the cherry on top of a sundae; the buffalo in th---

"S-sunset?" Salami asked, rubbing his reddened nose, standing up.

Sunset turned to look at Salami, her smile now a big grin. She pointed at the three words on the paper she was holding and asked him:

"When can I move in?"

Author's Note:

Wanted to write something new, so I decided to write on something based off on my own experience with love. I wouldn't say this is based off a true story, but I do want to be able to convey what it feels like to be in love with someone; the emotions and thoughts that goes through your mind and soul whenever you are with the person; to show how I felt when I went through the stages of love, how my own mind ticks when being surrounded with these feelings.

Anyway, to those who follow my other stories, I'm truly sorry for not updating them as frequent as I did way back in the past. But I will try my best to bring you new chapters for those stories from time to time. Just don't be too hopeful. :twilightblush:

To everyone else, I hope you had enjoyed this chapter, let me know what you think, or please, share your own views and thoughts about love (don't be shy now, ya hear?). Thanks again for taking the time to read this story, and stay tuned for more chapters! :yay: