• Published 2nd Aug 2015
  • 6,023 Views, 141 Comments

Boy or Beast - AstralFlame



A shapeshifting displaced must learn to cope with his new body and world, while trying to stay off of the princesses black list.

  • ...
23
 141
 6,023

Chapter 5: The Lab

Waking up in unfamiliar surroundings would surely put anyone on high alert. Waking up to find yourself behind bars was cause for even more worry. Waking with a start, Cyril found himself in just that situation. He shook his head to clear it of the haze that was sleep. He called on his memories to fill in the gaps, but all he could remember was being at Zecora’s hut, and jumping into that cauldron.

After that things got...blurry. The world had turned into a cascading blur of color and shadows, then warmth. It was that warmth which had drawn him in and ultimately caused him to fall asleep. Leaving the confines of his memories, Cyril looked around himself trying to find any indication of where he was, however he soon wished he never woke up.

All around him, Cyril found that the place glittered like crystal. the walls shone with blue and purple light. Despite the crystal appearance, Cyril found the room he was in to be creepy. He spotted several machines that reminded him of something you’d see in a hospital, as well as a long metal slab that reminded him of a morticians table. Shuddering at the thought Cyril also noted a type of chemistry set nearby as well as a microscope and various bottles of liquids he didn’t recognize.

“Yep,” he thought to himself. “I’m in a mad scientist's laboratory” As he thought that, he could hear the distinct sound of hooves approaching

Hearing them coming closer, Cyril, still in the form of a fox, laid down and curled into a ball, his tail covering his face, and his eye closing pretending to still be asleep. Cyril didn’t have to wait long as soon after he had closed his eyes did he hear them enter the room.

“So you found your notes?” Spike said as they all moved closer

“I did, the tracking spell I put on my notes worked well, though I didn’t find the wolf like I had wanted,” Twilight replied her voice sounding a bit somber but she was still excited.

“but you did bring something back...right?” Spike asked a bit of hope and some exasperation. If Twilight noticed it she didn’t say anything.

Cyril’s ear flicked in annoyance as he heard a single set of hoofsteps approaching him. He could sense someone staring at him, examining him thoroughly. He wanted to open his eyes and snap at them but decided it was best to remain still for now. Eventually he could feel the eyes leaving him.

There was a bit of shuffling before the unknown visitor spoke. “He certainly poses some questions.” A regal voice rang throughout the room, making Cyril's blood run cold.

Risking a peek, Cyril opened an eye slightly only to spot Spike looking at him now. The young drake seemed entranced with Cyril, as a look of wonder and amazement crossed his face. Deciding to give him a bit of a show, Cyril stood before stretching his front legs and ‘yawning’ widely. the entirety of his teeth in clear view. Instead of being afraid he came closer getting on his knees to see Cyril better. In response Cyril sat on his hunches, his tail wrapped around his feet and occasionally twitching, his eyes stared down the length of his muzzle and peered at Spike hoping to unnerve him.

“Hey Twilight, it’s finally awake,” Spike called cheerfully getting the two mares from before to come closer.

The cage lifted off the ground a bit, making Cyril move to keep himself from falling. When the cage leveled out he found himself staring at Twilight, he glared and without thought, a small growl worked it’s way from the back of his throat. Twilight didn’t seemed phased by it, instead the cage lifted even higher, and with more speed than before, causing Cyril to stumble and fall.

When the cage stilled again, Cyril picked himself up and turned to glare at Twilight, instead he found a pair of light magenta eyes looking at him, surrounded by white fur. Cyril slowly backed as far away as he could while in the cage, which led him to sit in a corner, with his head lowered he watched Celestia but he avoided her eyes.

It had only been a glance before, an accident really, but when he had looked her in the eyes for the brief moment that he had, he saw how old she really was, lifetimes of memories, countless friends she had lost, mistakes she had to live with, and a carefully guarded fire. A fire of determination to keep her ponies safe. Cyril had of course also saw other things, kindness, understanding, curiosity, several other things that were hard to pin down.

If Twilight was a mare who you didn’t want to mess with, Celestia was a Mare you would run from if you found yourself on the receiving end of her anger. The cage was sat down, carefully this time and Cyril decided to work on his plan of escape, of course his plan was really simple, wait for them to go to sleep, turn into a bug and fly away. It didn’t require of a lot of planning, not with his powers.

“What do you plan to do Twilight?” Cyril heard Celestia ask, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“I’m going to take some samples and see what they tell me,” Twilight replied as she approached the cage.

The cage opened and Cyril was lifted out before being put on the metal table. Thoughts of what she would do ran through his head, and he had an urge to run, for the first time in a while Cyril was inclined to listen to his instincts. Twilight’s magic faded, leaving Cyril's fur feeling charged, before she went to grab something else with her magic. Cyril walked around, using this time out of the cage to get a better look around him, though every time he looked in Celestia’s direction he’d quickly look elsewhere. This seemed to confuse the mare but Cyril didn’t notice.

It wasn’t until he felt something stick him in the paw that he finally paid attention to Twilight. Cyril let out a series of yaps of pain and surprise as he looked down to find a needle sticking from his paw, the urge to move and rip it out was strong but every time he moved, the needle would move as well causing more pain. After a minute or so, Twilight pulled the needle out.

Cyril immediately laid down and began to lick his paw, the small bit of blood that did leak from his paw, was quickly cleaned up and, his rough tongue helped to ease the throbbing in his paw. The sound of scissors made Cyril jump up and turn on Twilight, but she was already walking away a tuft of fur already held in her magic, Cyril growled again, and wanted to pounce on her, he didn’t expect to cause much pain to Twilight, but he was willing to try.

Or he would have tried if Celestia wasn't there in the room with him. Any attack on her student would surely be frowned upon and would instantly cause the larger alicorn to react without a moments thought.

Letting his anger fade he turned to see Twilight turn to face him again, this time she held something black in her magic. As she got closer Cyril got a better look at what she had. It looked like a needle of sorts, only it was made from rubber. Cyril didn’t know what she was going to do with that, but he watched her carefully. Twilight was circling him, trying to get behind him so that he wouldn’t see what she was going to do with the needle, but Cyril turned with her, keeping Twilight in his sights.

Eventually Twilight got fed up with the little game and she grabbed Cyril in her magic before forcing him to face away from her. Cyril tried to move and keep her in his sights but it was no use. Twilight used her magic to raise Cyril's tail, and his eyes went wide as the realization of what she was doing hit him like a ton of bricks. Cyril did his best to break free of the spell, tried to turn and snap at her and draw blood, but the spell was absolute.

00000

“What did you do to the poor little guy?” Fluttershy asked as she tried to get Cyril to come out from his cage, but Cyril refused to move, instead opting to glare at all who looked at him and snapping his teeth at any hoof or claws that tried to reach out to him.

“I just took a stool sample, I needed to know what his diet consisted of and this was easier than setting food in front of him,” Twilight commented, too occupied with the microscope to look at Fluttershy or me.

“You couldn’t have put him to sleep before you did anything though?” Fluttershy asked, having given up trying to get Cyril to come to her.

“Zecora already used a potion to put him to sleep, I didn’t think it would be good for him to give him a double dose,” Twilight explained.

Cyril’s ears perked up at that bit of information, which caused him to growl and snarl, catching both Twilight and Fluttershy off guard, but they shrugged and continued to talk, Cyril however bristled with anger as he felt betrayed. Zecora had lied to him, not only had her house not provided safety, the zebra herself had literally given him to the one Pony he didn’t want to see. The situation was made worse now that Celestia had been made aware of his existence. Cyril's only reliving thought was that none of them knew his true nature, at least that was the only thing he had to worry about.

“Um...Twilight I wanted to ask if you wouldn’t mind if...maybe I take him home with me?” Fluttershy whispered, Cyril might not have heard it if not for his ears, thankfully though he had and it seemed Twilight had heard her as well.

“Well...I do have everything I need from him for now, and he doesn’t seem to like me to much,” Twilight commented getting an angry yap from Cyril. “I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if you took him home with you, besides it might be better if you kept him, Faust knows I can’t take care of him.”

Fluttershy did something that Cyril thought he’d never hear. She made what could only be described as a whinny. This caused Cyril to move towards the cage door and look out at the two mares. Fluttershy was smiling while Twilight didn’t seemed to be disturbed by the sudden noise, though she did notice Cyril at the entrance of the cage. Before he could even turn to retreat he was once again held within the confines of Twilight's magic.

“I just have one more thing I want to check,” Twilight said as she laid him down on the metal slab once more, this time on his side. Several straps appeared from nowhere before they secured him to the table. While they weren’t uncomfortable, Cyril could still feel the pressure of them holding him in place.

It didn’t take long before a large machine hovered over Cyril. The straps which held him prevented him from moving his head but he also noted that even his tail had been strapped down as well. The room filled with the sound of loud humming but Fluttershy stood close by and despite the grating sound it didn’t seem to affect her in the slightest. The humming lasted for all of five seconds before it stopped and Cyril was placed back inside his cage.

The two mares quickly said their goodbyes before Fluttershy used her teeth to pick the cage up by a handle that Cyril had not previously seen though he had to admit that he was amazed by the strength of the mares choppers. In his form he had to weigh anywhere between 10 to 14 pounds, add that to the weight of the metal cage and you’re looking at about 16 maybe 17 pounds of dead weight.

Cyril was unsure of where he was going to go after this but one thing he did know was after tonight, he was going to relocate far away from Ponyville. The sound of his growling stomach broke him from his thoughts, causing him to sigh. No doubt Fluttershy had heard that, and she would surely feed him.

“I’ll stay long enough to eat and then I’m gone.” he thought as he spotted her cottage in the distance. “She better not try and give me any dog food though!”

Author's Note:

Bet you didn't expect me to update so quickly did you? Well guess what I like to keep you all guessing so guess one. On a different note regarding my DiE story...I wish I was drunk when I came up with that idea, seriously I'll admit it here and now, I did not think that one through, so...my bad if anyone cut themselves on the edge.