• Published 25th May 2012
  • 9,465 Views, 215 Comments

Lament of a Spoon - Zytharros



Silver Spoon questions why she participates in the destruction of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
11
 215
 9,465

Two Weeks Later...

Two weeks later, under one of the many apple trees playing with a light breeze deep within the rolling hills of the vast farm of Sweet Apple Acres, the day’s work completed and evening settling in, the silver filly is left by the young farm pony as she gratefully accepts an offer of apple juice after a day of helping out of the farm, and finding, to her shock and surprise, she thoroughly enjoys hard manual labor. She pulls out a thick book, bound in a thin wood case plated with silver embossed with a startlingly-accurate and highly-intricate image of herself and inlaid with four specially-selected, Rarity-approved rubies. She opens the book to the last entry, pulls out one of three silver quills, and begins writing, her flowing script so elegant and utterly perfect in form that it looks like every letter is analyzed, measured, constructed, reconstructed, and laid down with the care of a Fluttershy-shed feather floating specifically to the crest of a tiny wave on a bubbling brook. She smiles as she writes…


I have never been more tired… or elated… in all my life.

I was correct – Apple Bloom was the right one to talk to first. Because of her family’s emphasis on honesty and trust, I was able to apologize and re-start on the right hoof. It has only been two weeks, and yet I already feel a bond stronger with her than I ever had with Diamond Tiara – a bond of true friendship, rather than the… I guess one would call it single-sided domination I have with Ponyville’s resident filly-bully. It certainly has offered me a fresh perspective on class and friendship and the relationship one has to maintain betwixt them.

Even in these past couple of weeks, I have begun to feel the thought of the separation of nobility and commoners as necessity begin to wane upon my mind, even if just slightly. It is an interesting sensation to come to realize almost overnight that just because some ponies do not have the money nor status as you do, they still play a terribly-vital role in the cogs of the world, especially if one has been raised all one’s life to believe that money is all one needs to be powerful. The Apple family is proof of the exact opposite – that it is the relationships one possesses that are the true power of a land. Collectively, the Apples of Sweet Apple Acres have sixty-two close members of their family they can name off the top of their head - eleven unique names for each person, an overlap of ten or twelve aside, almost nine hundred members in their family circle descended from Granny Smith’s parents, and over ninety thousand distant relatives across the entire country of Equestria.

And that was only those who were “known to them”, as Big Mac put it.

When I relayed these facts to Daddy last night, he was understandably utterly shocked at the vocal power this one farm could command, even without the monetary resources we have. However, he was even more shocked when ‘twas revealed that the family held a grand total of nearly eleven percent of the entire treasury of Equestria in land values alone.

“Even our family’s impressive wealth totals less than one per cent of the Treasury…” he had said in amazement. “Add Filthy Rich into the mix and we approach one-and-a-half…”

But that is something Daddy would be especially aware of, and not something I particularly concern myself with. I have discovered that I value friendship more than wealth.

The two of us, as in Apple Bloom and I, have become very close. She has shown me her sister’s apple-bucking techniques, and how to identify specific types of apples… with Applejack’s help, of course. I believe I prefer red gala apples the best… or were they of the McIntosh variety…? Regardless, I have shown her how I manufacture silver into different items, even going so far as to produce identical quills like the one I use now for their clubhouse, etched with a small logo of my own design. It is very refreshing to have someone approve of my work without judgment or bias. She seems to genuinely appreciate it. She has offered to make me a Cutie Mark Crusader Official Helper… but, as I expected and pointed out, and as she soon discovered, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are not quite ready for that yet.

Don’t tell her yet, but I am currently working on small busts of her family, done up in the finest silver I could find out of thanks. I’ve never looked at Big Macintosh so carefully before. Ooh… he’s truly a looker… rugged… handsome… stoic… a real catch for the right mare…

I… I wonder if he would be interested in… no… I’m too… young for…

A small doodle of Big Mac and Silver Spoon kissing, quickly scribbled out by the filly, occupies this space in the journal. Her eyes scan over to the stallion, his powerful hindquarters, rippling muscles, and flowing, blonde mane catching her admiration for a few seconds before she shakes her head furiously and returns to writing, recognizing herself as being caught in the throes of a romantic idealism akin to that of the romance novels she steals from her mother and loses herself in on occasion.

…but a girl can dream, can she not?

Another doodle, this time of the couple sharing a sweet embrace. “As friends...” Silver Spoon insists… “Yes, only as… f-r-i-e-n-d-s…” She draws out the last word with a small sigh, dejectedly knowing it will never progress beyond her filly-crush. She slowly draws a heart around the image, suddenly stopping when she half-completes the design… and slamming her quill on another part of the page, causing ink blots to appear as she writes. She bites her lip as beads of sweat begin forming on her head. Her writing loses all the careful organization it had just moments ago.

Anyways, it took Sweetie Belle a little longer to come around than Apple Bloom. She was still incensed at how Diamond Tiara had talked with Scootaloo, and, as anticipated, she had some trouble even trusting Apple Bloom again after the fight. She certainly wasn’t going to trust me very well because of how I stood alongside Diamond Tiara, though she also seemed to recognize that the incident in the school drove a substantial wedge between us. When I explained that even I didn’t know how she had known of that… that hideous taunt, and also how I explained how angered I was at the way the tiara-flanked acquaintance of mine belittled Apple Bloom’s grandmare, Sweetie Belle seemed to come around a little. She still doesn’t trust me, occasionally accusing me of certain things, but she is working through her feelings. I take it all in stride. I am trying to make a new friend, after all, and it would do me no good to snap back this early in the relationship.

Scootaloo seems to be the one having the hardest trouble, still severely scarred by the chicken incident. We are working on her, but it is taking a long time. I had no idea how sensitive she was about that, especially so fresh after her closest friends insisted on pushing the issue merely the day before. I begin to understand the dynamic that drew Rarity and Rainbow Dash together – “Scoots”, as Rainbow Dash calls her, is phenomenally passionate about everything she does… especially when it comes to her friends and doing things together. It is… infectiously alluring, to say the least. I have respected Scootaloo’s request that I not be around in her presence so that I can show through my compliance that I am no longer host-

The quill swirls from a lazy, cursive “t” into a straight line. Her thoughts drift back to Big Mac… She quickly shakes her head, trying to get a particularly lewd thought out of her mind.

-ile.

Ah! Thank Celestia! Apple Bloom has returned with the juice! I was hoping for some distracting conversation… her brother is just too…

Oh, there I go again…


She closes the book in a hurried rush, forgetting entirely about the ink blots. Apple Bloom settles down beside her. The two newly-found friends continue their chat about silver-smithing techniques from earlier. A sly smile plays at the corner of her eyes and mouth as she quickly steals one final look at Big Mac before returning her full attention to her friend and the conversation.