• Published 23rd Jul 2015
  • 7,607 Views, 214 Comments

The Encounter - Winter_Solstice



Barefoot, nearsighted and lost, a young man wakes to find his life has drastically changed.

  • ...
38
 214
 7,607

The CMC

Princess Luna and a contingent of her Guards landed in front of Twilight’s castle. Twilight and Applejack were waiting, the latter still a bit worked up. The delay had done nothing good for her composure, even though it had only been a few minutes between the sending of the letter and Luna’s arrival. As the two approached Luna, she spoke first.

“Your letter told of a strange creature, Twilight Sparkle. Where was it last seen?”

“That would be by me, Your Highness,” said Applejack. “It came to my door, but it run off as soon as it saw me!”

“Which direction, young Applejack?”

“I think it was heading for the Everfree.”

“Then we shall begin our search from your farm. Guards!”

“Please, Your Highness,” said Twilight, “we have to capture it for study. It may not be dangerous.”

“That will depend upon the creature’s actions when we find it, Twilight. But we will do our best not to hurt it.” She paused, then added, “We need more light.” Her horn slowly lit as she concentrated, and the moon left its place in the sky as the sun peeked over the horizon. Turning to her awaiting Guards, she gave them their instructions. They saluted, and then flew off by twos.

Applejack watched them go, then turned to Luna and Twilight.

“I gotta make sure my family is alright. I told Big Mac not to let anything get in the house.”

“Don’t worry, Applejack. We’ll accompany you to your home,” said Twilight.

“Indeed, friend Applejack. We must make sure your family is safe,” said Luna. So saying, they all three ran off as one in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________


A few of Ponyville’s early risers saw a sight they talked about for days: armored bat ponies flying in twos, headed over the Everfree Forest. Something big must be up, for nopony ever saw Princess Luna’s Night Guards during the day. Most ponies simply chalked it up as part of the weirdness that came with living in Ponyville, but one little orange filly saw them through her window, and thought: Opportunity!

As she ran down the stairs and grabbed her scooter and wagon, her mother called out, “Scootaloo! Where are you going, honey?”

While she strapped on her helmet, she yelled, “I’m going to go get the other Crusaders, Mom! Something weird is happening!”

“What is happening, dear?”

“Tell you later gotta go bye!” Off she went. Her mother sighed, and went back to reading her paper. Her daughter rarely got into too much trouble, and she, of course, worried about her, but there was no stopping her once she got into “Crusader Mode.” She’d just tell her husband about it when he got home from work. It’s good to share the worry.

Meanwhile Scootaloo was buzzing as fast as she could to Sweetie Belle’s house. Her mind was buzzing just as fast. If they could find out what Luna’s Guards were doing, they could probably help, and get their cutie marks in…helping? That didn’t seem right. She’d find out when she could. Right now she had to get the others.

Braking in front of Sweetie Belle’s house, she jumped off her scooter and quickly rang the doorbell. After a few minutes a sleepy, mustachioed, somewhat annoyed stallion opened the door.

“Do you know what time it…oh, it’s you, Scootaloo. Sweetie is still asleep.”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Belle, but it’s important! Can you please wake her?”

He sighed. “‘Crusader’ business, I’m guessing.” He yawned. “Alright, c’mon in. I’ll get her.” Scootaloo followed him inside but was too keyed up to take a seat. She fidgeted and paced until a drowsy filly came down the stairs.

“Scootaloo? What…what are you doing here?”

“C’mon, sleepy! We gotta go get Apple Bloom and head out to the Everfree! There’s something weird going on, and if we hurry we may be able to help!”

Sweetie paused and was unable to hide the look of worry on her face.

“The Everfree? I don’t know…it could be dangerous.”

“We’ll be fine!” She leaned in and whispered, “Luna’s Guards are flying all over the place. We gotta see what they’re up to! Besides, this is the perfect opportunity to get our cutie marks!”

Sweetie looked at her. “In what, exactly?”

Now it was Scootaloo’s turn to pause. “I don’t know exactly,” she admitted, “but we’ll never know if we don’t hurry!”

Sweetie Belle sighed. “Alright. Just let me brush my teeth real fast.”

Scootaloo grabbed her by one hoof and said, “No time! Let’s go!” She dragged the still protesting filly outside, threw a helmet on her and jumped on the scooter. Sweetie Belle barely had time to settle herself in the wagon before Scootaloo took off towards Sweet Apple Acres.

They were still a good distance from the farm house when Scootaloo suddenly swerved into some bushes.

“What are you doing?!” cried Sweetie.

“Shh!” said Scootaloo. “Keep your voice down! And duck!” she added, pulling her down beside her. “I just saw Princess Luna, Twilight, and Applejack out in front of the house. If they see us they’ll probably try to stop us.”

“Stop us from what?”

“Getting Apple Bloom, of course! If we’re gonna find out what’s happening we have to tell her without them interfering. C’mon.” Taking off her helmet and motioning for Sweetie to do the same, she then hid behind some trees, as her friend followed her. Going from tree to tree they quickly made their way to the side of the house that Apple Bloom’s window was on. Grabbing some pebbles, Scootaloo tossed them up at the window.

“Apple Bloom!” she stage whispered. “You up there?” The window opened, and Apple Bloom leaned out.

“Scootaloo? Sweetie Belle? What are you guys doing out there?”

“We came to get you! There’s something going on, and we need to find out what it is!” said Scootaloo.

“I cain’t go. I was told to stay in my room. Somethin’ got Applejack ‘n Big Mac awful riled up!”

There was a collective gasp from the two outside. “‘Something?!’ Did you see it?!” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Well, no,” she admitted. “But whatever it was, it made my sister run off to get help, and Mac’s been guardin’ the house. Granny’s still sleepin’ or she’d be all riled up too!”

“Applejack already got help, ‘cause Twilight and Princess Luna are here at the front of the house. Plus, Luna’s Guards are flying all over the place, looking for whatever it is! We gotta help! Ponyville could be in danger!” said Scootaloo.

Just then there was a bark from the inside of the room. Apple Bloom turned to hush the dog.

“Is Winona in there?” asked Scootaloo.

“Yeah, she’s been in here all night.”

Scootaloo thought for a moment, and then her eyes lit up as she got an idea.

“That’s perfect! We can use Winona to track down whatever they’re looking for!”

“I already done tole you: I cain’t go. Besides, how’m I gonna get Winona down there?”

“Just a second, lemme think,” said Scootaloo. She and Sweetie Belle whispered together for a few moments.

“Here’s what you do,” she said. “Tell them you’re taking Winona for a walk. She probably needs to go out anyway, if she’s been up there all night.”

“Yeah, she does, but…you want me to…lie to Applejack ‘n my brother? I cain’t do that.”

“It’s not a lie! You are gonna be taking her for a walk!” said Scootaloo.

“Hmm,” said Apple Bloom, “that is true. But what if they say ‘no’?”

“If they say ‘no’ we’ll think of something else. C’mon, Apple Bloom! We can’t do this without you!”

“Okaay…I’ll try. Wait there.”

Steeling herself for the task ahead, Apple Bloom took a deep breath, and then opened the door and went out, as Winona followed her. She made it to the bottom of the stairs before Big Mac saw her and said, “Apple Bloom! I thought I told you to stay in your room!”

She almost lost her nerve when she saw not only her brother and sister but no less than Twilight and Princess Luna standing there.

“I…I just thought I should take Winona out. She’s been cooped up with me all night,” she gulped.

“Your concern for your animal is commendable, young Apple Bloom,” said Luna, “but ‘tis dangerous to be out and about at this time.”

Feeling even guiltier, Apple Bloom said, “But she needs to go! We won’t be long.” Just then, as if waiting for her cue, Winona started whimpering. “See?”

The adults all exchanged glances. “Alright,” Applejack finally said. “But you come straight back, y’hear?”

Apple Bloom mumbled something under her breath, then quickly ran outside with the canine in tow. Feeling like yesterday’s garbage, she told herself, “This had better be worth it…”