• Published 23rd Jul 2015
  • 7,591 Views, 214 Comments

The Encounter - Winter_Solstice



Barefoot, nearsighted and lost, a young man wakes to find his life has drastically changed.

  • ...
38
 214
 7,591

The Hkari

“Gamma Attack!” cried Sable, as she and Nocturne closed on the four.

They both opened their mouths and let loose an ultrasonic scream directed at their foes. But only one seemed to be affected, as it fell to the ground and clutched its ears, while the other three separated and pressed their attack. Sable caught the jaws of one across her lance, while to her side Nocturne held off the remaining two with his. Sable fought to free her lance, then kicked the creature in the throat. If it had been an Equestrian beast that blow would have finished it, but it only caused the beast to release its hold on the weapon.

“Duck, Private!” screamed Sable as the creature she fought suddenly sprang at her.

It sailed over them both and landed next to its companions. It then growled at the other creatures, and then they all backed off as the ponies watched. It turned to its companions and growled again as the fourth shook its head and rejoined the fight. They cocked their heads at their leader as it rumbled low in its throat. Then they quickly spread out and surrounded the guards on all sides, who then stood back to back.

“Oh, great! They can communicate with each other!” said Sable. She then spoke over her shoulder. “Private! Fly off, go get help! That’s an order!”

“I’m not leaving you, Corporal!”

She laughed. “I’m confining you to the barracks after this!” She gripped her lance and braced herself. They could both fly away, but that would leave the hospital unguarded. She knew they had no choice as the beasts all rushed in at once.

“Retirement was going to be too dull anyway!” she cried as she thrust her lance forward.

_______________________________________________________________________

Off in a corner, Spike slowly opened his eyes when he heard Carmel mention a princess. All around him, the hospital lobby was littered with ponies: some standing, some flat on the floor…and some not moving. For a moment, the memory of that creature finally bursting into the hospital rose up in his mind. He’d done what he could, but even blinded the creature had gotten him with a single swipe of its claws. Only his tough scales had saved him from serious harm, but he didn’t remember anything after that. He pushed the thoughts aside and called out.

“Twi..Twilight?”

Twilight was almost out the door, but spun around when she heard her name. “Spike? Spike!” She ran over to him and held him. “Spike, what happened?!”

“I was so scared, Twilight…so scared.” Then he fell silent and held her while staring at the remains of the creature. Carmel wandered over.

“We owe our lives to him, Princess. If he hadn’t rushed forward and hit that thing in the face with his fire, we never would have gotten it down. But he paid for it. That thing got him with his claws and threw him over here.”

“Oh, Spike…I’m so sorry!” As the sounds from the continuing battle outside reached them, Spike shook himself and looked up at her.

“They need you out there, Twilight. Don’t…don’t worry about me.”

Twilight fought back tears as she looked down at him, then looked outside. Turning to Carmel she said, “Look after him!” Carmel nodded, and she gave Spike one last hug. “I’ll be back!” Then she gently released him, and then ran out. Once clear of the doors she took flight and rushed into the battle, knowing what she’d have to do…again.

The bat ponies were surrounded and they fought back to back as the creatures closed in. Twilight hesitated only for a moment, then sent her beam through one of the creature’s bodies. As it fell, the three remaining looked up at her and then immediately ran for the woods, dodging and zigzagging until they reached the forest and disappeared within.

“Get after them!” cried Twilight as she plunged past the trees. The two guards were winded, but they dutifully gripped their weapons and followed her.

The beasts’ tracks were easy to follow at first, but then they abruptly disappeared. No marks on the ground, no sounds of foliage being pushed aside…just nothing. Even the bat ponies’ sensitive ears could make out no trace of their quarry.

After a few minutes of searching, Sable said, “It’s no use, Your Majesty…they’re gone.”

She leaned on her weapon and caught her breath, while Twilight scanned the immediate area. It was when she turned to look in their direction she noticed both guards had suffered wounds. Sable was marked on one side where a beast’s claws had gotten through her armor. Nocturne had fared slightly worse, as he’d lost his helmet and had sustained a head wound.

“You’re right, we need to get you both seen to at the hospital,” said Twilight. “But we have to find those things.”

They turned back and made their way to the hospital. When they arrived at the clearing before the building, Twilight stopped and stared at the creature she’d downed. Sable watched the Princess’ face.

“First time having to kill, Your Highness?”

Twilight startled, and glanced over at her. “No…unfortunately. The second time.”

Sable took her helmet off and wiped her brow. “Don’t think about it too much, Highness. Or rather, think about the fact you probably just saved the two of us.” Twilight said nothing.

Sable had seen that look before on her own face, long ago, and she knew the only remedy for now was distraction. Replacing her helmet, she bowed to Twilight and said, “What are your orders, Your Majesty?”

“My…what?”

“Your orders. What do you wish for us to do? Keep going after those creatures?”

“No…no! Get yourselves seen to in the hospital.”

Sable and Nocturne exchanged a look. “We’re fine, Your Highness.

“I insist.”

“Very well.”

Nocturne found his helmet and replaced it, then the three of them went into the hospital. Twilight immediately rushed to Spike and picked him up, while the other ponies were being examined by the hospital staff. Some were left where they’d fallen, but this number was small. One of the nurses came over to Twilight and looked at Spike.

“Please set him down, Your Majesty.”

“Can you help him?” asked Twilight.

“We’ll do our best. Dragon anatomy is not well known, but we can try.”

Just then a pegasus guard showed up with Rarity in his hooves. Twilight’s face lost color when she saw her, then she quickly went to her side as the guard gently laid her down.

“What happened to her?!” cried Twilight.

The guard took off his helmet and said, “Your friends encountered a pair of beasts in the Everfree and fought them off. She was bitten by one of them, so Her Majesty told me to bring her here, while she went with the rest to investigate a farm.” Just then Rarity stirred.

“Twilight? Where…where am I? Why is it so…cold?”

“Doctor! We need help over here!” cried Twilight. “Hang on, Rarity! Try not to move.”

A doctor and one nurse rushed over. He took one look at Rarity’s wounds and said, “She’s going into shock. Prep this one for surgery. Immediately.”

“Yes, Doctor,” said the nurse as she motioned for two orderlies to bring a gurney over. The two of them put Rarity on the gurney and wheeled her off, with the nurse following. Twilight tried to follow but was stopped by the doctor.

“Please, Your Highness. Your friend’s in good hooves, we’ll do what we can.” He turned and left to follow Rarity, while Twilight stood and stared. Then she faced the guard.

“You said Celestia was investigating a farm. Was it Sweet Apple Acres?”

“Yes, Your Highness. Your friend Applejack was most insistent.”

Twilight looked around for Spike. He had been bandaged and he now sat staring at the door where Rarity had been taken. Twilight went back to him.

“I’m going to go help Applejack, Spike. Are you going to be okay while I’m gone?” He didn’t answer, so she nudged him and said, “Spike.”

Spike startled and looked up at her with tears in his eyes.

“Is she going to die?”

Twilight’s heart gave another lurch as she quickly gathered him up.

“No, Spike. She’s not going to die.” She gave him a fierce hug and put him down. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.” She turned back to the guard. “Come with me.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

“Wait, Princess! We’re coming with you!” said Sable. She also had been bandaged up and she was replacing her armor as she spoke. Nocturne had settled his helmet back on his head, as his wound had been cleaned and dressed as well.

“No,” said Twilight. “I need you both here in case more of those things show up.”

Sable and Nocturne looked at each other and then nodded to Twilight.

“As you command, Highness.”

"And one more thing," said Twilight as she pointed.

"Get that thing out of here."

___________________________________________________________________________________

“Standard orbit, Helmsman,” said the Captain. He turned to his Science Officer. “Any sign of the Antashi?”

Lieutenant Chapel studied her instruments, then replied, “Inconclusive, Sir. There’s some sort of anomaly within this planet’s atmosphere that disrupts our scans. I’ve located the Antashi vessel, but my readings on it are unclear.”

“Then we’ll have to go down there,” he said. He flipped a toggle. “Security Chief. Assemble a team with standard weapons and cloaking armor in the shuttle bay, then stand by for further orders.”

“Right away, Sir.”

The Captain addressed the Science Officer again. “What do we know about this planet?”

“It has a standard atmosphere capable of sustaining most known lifeforms, with a decreased gravity factor than Hkar. From previous expeditions the dominant lifeform appears to be sapient equines, of which there appear to be three distinct variations. One is standard equine, one is capable of flight as it is endowed with wings, while the third seems to be able to directly manipulate the unclassified energies that inundate this planet. There are rumors of a forth variation, but no data exists that can verify.”

“Speculate.”

“It is assumed that the fourth must be some sort of ruler, and as this is a primitive society with no space faring technology such a ruler must be more powerful than the three, as none of the other variations were observed manipulating this planet’s star or satellite.”

“Given the circumstances we will probably have to engage these beings and their ruler. Can we communicate with them?” said the Captain.

She checked her files. “Yes, their language was incorporated into the translation matrix.”

The Captain sighed. “So that’s one bit of good news.” He turned to his own comm controls. “Security Chief.”

“Standing by, Sir.”

“Your orders are to find the Antashi and capture them without incident. Under no circumstances are you to harm any of the indigenous life forms except in self-defense. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Sir!”

“Carry out your orders.”

“Sir!”

___________________________________________________________________________________

It had been quite the experience flying through the air while being invisibly held by Celestia. I’d felt the crackle of energy dance across my skin as she’d taken out those two creatures, then she’d set me down as she talked with the ponies. I gasped when I saw Rarity, but hung back and out of the way as they clustered around her. I saw her try to get up, and I was amazed once again at these ponies’ resiliency: from what I could see of her wound she shouldn’t be alive, but there she was. Celestia took her up in her magic, then addressed the ponies again. I couldn’t tell what she said, but from the look on her face I was glad that emotion wasn’t being directed at me.

I looked at Applejack and could see she’d sustained a wound as well, but if I hadn’t seen it I wouldn’t have known, as she showed no sign of having noticed it herself. Now she was gesturing urgently to some point off in the distance as she spoke to Celestia. I caught the word “farm,” so she must be talking about her home. I then saw Celestia speak to the remaining guard, who picked Rarity up and flew off with her. The next thing I knew I was in the air again, as our group quickly made our way through the forest. Soon the trees cleared and the farm lay before us. Even nearsighted, I could tell something was wrong. I saw a couple broken windows and as we quickly flew up and landed I could hear someone crying inside. I followed Celestia and the ponies as they entered the house.

The place was a shambles and I could tell a fight had taken place here. I heard Applejack calling out for her family and then heard her wail when she got upstairs, as Celestia and the other ponies followed. As I stood there, feeling very much in the way, I heard a noise off to my right. I looked and saw that same dog that had greeted me before, that seemed like ages ago now, lying on the floor and whimpering. She opened her eyes when I carefully approached her. Her tail gave a little wag as I knelt down and gently stroked her head. Something had gotten to her, as she was slowly bleeding and it looked like she couldn’t move. I didn’t know what was going on upstairs, but I knew this dog needed help.

“Peen-Kee! Reigbow! He-lp!”

They both ran back down the stairs, followed by the last creature I expected to see: a zebra! She was taller than Rainbow and Pinkie, and was wearing cloak that seemed to shift in the light. She stopped for a moment and stared at me, then came forward. I shook myself from her gaze and pointed at the dog while they all surrounded us. The zebra motioned me aside as she knelt to examine the dog. I got to my feet and stepped back, then turned to Pinkie.

“Who…this?”

Pinkie looked up at me. “Her name’s Zecora.”

“Zeh...ko-reh?”

Pinkie nodded. “She’s a friend.”

I looked from Pinkie to Dash, who was hovering in place and watching… “Zecora.”

The zebra got to her feet and looked at me, then rattled off some words far too quick for me to follow. She then offered me a small jar with some sort of substance like white grease in it. When I hesitated, she set the jar down, then pointed to it and then to my face and chest. She made a motion like she was rubbing her own face. I picked the jar up and sniffed it. It smelled like an antiseptic, so I figured it would sting. I gingerly applied a bit to my chest, which tingled and went slightly numb, so I covered the rest of my chest wound with it, then stretched and was just able to put some on my shoulder. Finally I put some on my mouth where I'd lost the tooth, which tasted awful but numbed the pain. I returned the jar to her and thanked her in my limited Equestrian. She smiled, and spoke again. I looked at Dash and Pinkie, hoping they could help me understand.

“She wants you to pick up Winona,” said Dash as she looked at me.

I just stared. Rainbow made an exasperated noise, then flew low and gently lifted the animal, then gave her to me. I cradled her and her wounds must have not as been as bad as they looked, for she then lifted her head and licked my nose. I could see the zebra had applied that same salve to the dog. I smiled my further thanks to the zebra.

I looked up at a sound and saw Celestia coming back down the stairs, with an unconscious large red horse floating behind her. Applejack came next, with an older pony and a little filly following. I recognized the filly from my first day here and concluded she must be Applejack’s little sister, but I didn’t remember her name. The older pony looked like she must be their mother or grandmother, which made the red one their brother...Mac, something. The filly saw me holding the dog and ran over. I knelt down so she could see her, then she lifted a hoof and gently petted her. She looked up at me and asked a question, but she was crying so hard I couldn’t understand her. The zebra said something to her that must have helped, for she nodded to her then wiped her nose. She smiled up at me as I got back to my feet. It was nice to see she wasn’t afraid of me anymore.

Now Celestia was speaking and I caught the word ‘hospital.’ She then walked outside, and we all followed. Belinda had been standing guard outside and her face was hard to read when she saw Celestia’s and my burdens. Then it became very clear she was angry at seeing two more casualties, for her voice grew sharper as gestured at the red horse and then to Celestia.

All this time the rabbit…Angel…was sitting on the Gryphon's back and looking at me holding the dog. His face was hard to read as well, but if I didn’t know better he seemed pleased I was helping.

The next thing I knew, there was a flash as Twilight appeared, with one of those Guards from earlier. She paused when she saw Mac, but then quickly spoke to the group at large. I didn’t need to know Equestrian to know what Twilight was saying, for judging by all their reactions I could tell it was bad news.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Luna arrived with all her forces, who surrounded the aliens’ ship and arrayed themselves about her. She held the two aliens in her grip, who both did not look at all happy to be dangling in the air. As her captains approached her, Luna conferred with the Guard whom Celestia had sent. She then addressed her troops.

“Attention! Several of these creatures have been released into the woods about us.” She cast a set of images into the air portraying all the creatures she’d encountered while she had been captured. “They are all to be considered threats and treated accordingly. If any immediately surrender they are to be shown mercy, but all are to be attacked on sight. Captain Nightfang, keep your troops near this ship. Remaining captains, you have your orders.” They all saluted as one, then turned to give further instructions to their companies. Luna set the two aliens down and they cowered before her.

“Now then: it's time for the two you to tell us how many of these things we have to confront. Answer me!”

Priel and R’el both covered their heads with their hands, and Priel said, “There’s no way to tell without access to our ship!”

R’el added, “The bridge controls were destroyed by your Celestia! If the central computer is still intact, we can get the information you want from the cargo bay’s controls! Please allow us in there!”

Luna shook her head. “Absolutely not. Under no circumstances will the two of you be allowed near your technology. If you won’t help us, then you are of no further use.”

They both threw up their hands. “Wait!” cried Priel. “I think I remember now! Please, give us a moment.”

“You have one minute.”

The two put their heads together and spoke rapidly to one another, while frantically counting back and forth. After a few moments, Priel said, “There were seventy creatures in our cargo hold.” Then he hesitated.

“And?” said Luna.

Priel looked at R’el, who then quietly said, “They all are the most dangerous beings we could find.” Luna took a menacing step forward.

“So you released these foul creatures onto our planet?!” The aliens fell to their knees and clasped their hands together.

“Please! We can still be of use! We’re…we’re sorry!” cried R’el.

“I do not believe you are, and I should have let the Gryphon have you both! Sleep!”

Her horn lit up and its magic enveloped them. They immediately fell over and lay prostrate on the grass. She turned to the Guards.

“Captain Nightfang, do not let these two out of your sight! I go to inform my sister of this new information and will return shortly. They should be unconscious for a day, but if they do awake keep them from going inside their ship.”

“Yes, Your Highness!” Luna flew off.

______________________________________________________________________________________

“Tell me you recorded all that, Ensign,” said Security Chief Saacs.

He and his four Hkari landing team had pinpointed the Antashi vessel, and were approaching it on foot while cloaked, when the indigenous beings had shown up. The Hkari troops had immediately spotted the Antashi, and faded back into the foliage to watch the scenario play out.

“Yes, Chief, I got it. What now? Do we take the Antashi from these creatures?”

“That’s why we’re here. Set weapons to stun and remain cloaked. Follow me.”