• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 1,410 Views, 77 Comments

Secrets of a Wanderer - Nero_Nova



A world travailing pony has come to live in Equestria and must keep his true self hidden from his new friends lest they learn who he really is.

  • ...
6
 77
 1,410

Stay for Dinner

Author's Note:

So i know my grammer and such is really bad but i cant seem to find anyone reliable to edit my work so im just going to do my best and hope you guys like it

P.S. cover art for this chapter linked here: http://neronova00.deviantart.com/art/Chapter-3-stay-for-dinner-549368303?ga_submit_new=10%253A1438039014&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

//------------------------------//
// Stay for Dinner// Story: Adventures of Jax, Wandering soul// by Nero_Nova//------------------------------//

Chapter 3

The train ride was short back to Canterlot, and after departing everypony headed back to the palace via Celestia’s request. It was during the walk back that Jax took the time to appreciate the visual appeal of the city. The road leading to the palace was riddled with shops of all kinds from bakeries to jewelry stores, and the diversity was fairly impressive. In spite of this, the diversity of ponies did not in any way match the city.

As far as Jax could see the city was full of the type of high-class ponies he could not stand. Noses held high and buying whatever seemed to be the most expensive item available, Jax was all too familiar with these types. The smooth stone roadway reminded Jax that not everything is as it seems, everywhere he had been there was always a more lower class, and this city would be no different.

One thing Jax did not expect was the spectacular sight of the palace. Leaving, Jax could only think of retrieving his things. Free of this distraction Jax marveled at the beautiful sight of the sun shimmering off the gold arch that lined the drawbridge that allowed all to pass over not a moat but the naturally formed river that seemed to come from the mountain top. Pure white walls enclosed the castle with each watchtower a mere stroll away from the last, all flying the royal flag. Jax watched the flag as if hypnotized by the way it flapped in the wind, he saw the two alicorns circling the sun and the moon and amused it was Celestia and Twilight, with the sun and moon symbolizing some form of balance.

The inside of the palace was just as mesmerizing as the outside. Inside the walls Jax was treated to the sight of the towering castle decorated with an array of silver and gold. Works of art lined every hall, armor displayed in honor of war heroes of the past, curtains made of only the finest material. As Jax follows the girls up the stairs, each of them talking about this and that, it hits Jax that he spent the night in a castle, something he had not done in a very long time.

This thought is whipped from Jax mind as they enter a hall full of stained glass windows. It was clear the windows told a story of some sort. Walking along one thing stuck out, though Jax did not full understand why, he could clearly see that the six mares he was with were depicted in these works of art. He thought to question why and what did they do, but he held his tongue feeling that after a quick goodbye, he would most likely never see them again.

Entering the throne room everypony greets Celestia with a bow, except for Jax and Twilight who bow only their heads in respect. A noticeable cough comes from one of the guards who motions for Jax to bow on his knee. Just as noticeable is a twitch of Jax's eye as he uncomfortably does as requested and takes to his front knee for a proper bow. Celestia suppresses a giggle noticing Jax’s response to the guard.

“How did your search go?” she asked as she descended the few steps from her throne.

“It went great! We found the wrecked ship and it was everywhere! Then we looked around and found clothes and pillows and big cargo boxes! And Rarity found this huge pair of...” Again the hyper pink pony was hushed, this time by Applejack, who answered the question in a more appropriate fashion.

“We found Jax’s things and came right back, but you should have seen what he did there.”

“Oh, what was it?” Celestia asked curious.

Applejack opened her mouth to speak only to be cut off by Jax. “I spotted my bag under some wreckage, it was nothing special.”

“Yeah, and then kicked away a piece of the ship the size of a barn to get it!” Applejack exclaimed not picking up on Jax’s wishes to not disclose that particular moment. Applejack was then met with a rather disapproving scowl from Jax and gave back a nervous smile.

Celestia looked over the young stallion wondering how such a feat could be possible with an injured hoof, so perplexed by the mystery she was compelled to ask. “Pardon my forwardness but, how could you perform such a feat, with a broken hoof, no less?”

Everypony waited wide eyes and ears open as Jax tried to think of a believable reason why he could kick away the ship fragment so easily, thinking of nothing and no harm in the truth he sighs. “I'm just very strong...” Simple and short, everypony looked back and forth waiting for more, Jax sees this in their eyes and decides this little encounter should come to an end. “Thank you again for all your help, but I think it's time I get going.” Jax takes another bow and turns to leave.

Jax could feel the girls walking behind him as he headed for the door, there he turns once more and says goodbye again hoping they follow him no further. With a gentle push Jax opens the door to reveal the sun ready to set on the horizon. The sight of day's end gave Twilight an idea. “Jax, you know it's getting late,” Jax looks back to hear her out. “We were all going to stay the night here in the castle, why don't you join us, would that be O.K.?” Twilight asks looking back at Celestia who gives an approving nod.

“Well...” Jax says under his breath, attempting to think, his thoughts where, however interrupted yet again by a hyper pink pony.

“Oh come on, we can make it another slumber party with cake, and balloons, and games, and scary stories!”

“Yeah, we always have fun doing stuff like this,” comments Rainbow Dash as she joins Pinkie.

Jax looks out again to the setting sun as he ponders the request, looking back at Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Jax is met with two big ear to ear smiles. “Well, I guess it beats staying in a hotel...” Jax says with a small smile becoming clear.

The two mares shout excitedly in unison, grabbing Jax before speeding off back inside. “Well, that went well.” says Rarity as she prances back inside, followed by the others closing the door.

The next few hours are spent with the girls talking about this and that, each question that was asked of Jax was met with another question about the previous part of the conversation. Jax was in no way subtle that he was avoiding questions at this point, however, he was so calm about it one would think he had a genuine curiosity about the others. Time seemed to be flying by and Jax found himself enjoying the company as he watched Pinkie Pie play out the bizarre antics of a friend of theirs, apparently one who likes chocolate milk.

A knock at the door and everypony pauses for a moment, allowing the guard to announce that dinner is about to be served. The gang all head for the dining hall as they continue their conversations. The dining hall was filled with just as much decor as the rest of the castle with the addition of gold chandeliers all with lit candles. The room's center was a classic long table with Celestia already waiting at the head awaiting her company.

Each of them take their seats by one another. Jax wanted to take a seat on the opposite end of the table away from everypony, but felt he would be called over anyway. His suspicions were confirmed as he saw Pinkie Pie eagerly waving and pointing at the seat next to her. Reluctantly and rather uncomfortably Jax sat with Pinkie, successfully keeping his calm composer. Jax, however, became more unsettled as he observed the spread of delectable looking food prepared for their dinner.

Most everything looked more like a work of art than a meal. The scent of each plate seemed to be only distinguishable by looking right at it, and each one so breath taking Jax had to fight to hold back a cough from the intoxicating aroma. Looking over his host and company Jax could only assume that they ate like this on a daily basis as none of them seemed to be eyeing the meal as anything special. Surely this could not be the case; perhaps with the Princesses and Rarity, but not all.

Each of the girls filled their plates while Jax took a humble helping of the meal. “Surely that's not all you'll be having?” Celestia questions, “You slept most of the day and have not eaten at all. Please have as much as you like, there's no need to be shy.”

“Yeah, that's Flutters’ job, it's even in her name!” Pinkie announces popping up by Fluttershy and then back in her seat smiling at Jax.

Hearing his stomach growl everypony looks at Jax awaiting his response, he timidly takes another scoop of some delicious looking casserole to appease their watchful eyes, to his relief everyone goes back to their conversations. One bite and Jax was introduced to an explosion of flavor he had never experienced, just as before Jax tried to keep his calm and cool composure, but it was still clear that he was immensely enjoying the meal. In a matter of minutes Jax was half way through clearing his plate and nervously snuck another helping hoping no one would see.

The creak of the door was enough to make Jax twitch as the food hit his plate, his eyes drifted to the others who to his relief were not looking at him but the door. Doing the same Jax witnesses a dark blue alicorn mare walk in just as graceful as Celestia but with a much stronger presence. “Luna, so nice of you to join us. What took you?” With this comment Jax thought back to the two alicorns on the flag and realized that this was the second princess depicted on the flag with Celestia.

“I was inevitably withheld by my duties, I hope this was no trouble sister.” The dark blue mare spoke with authority and held herself as the representing the definition of confidence. Her steps held the grace one would expect, but also a sense of power. The difference between the two sisters was all too clear.

As Luna went to take her seat next to Celestia her eyes wandered to Jax, “Luna, This is the pony who fought the Kraken on the beach.” Luna nodded her head in greeting him and introducing herself as she takes her seat, a moment later Celestia addresses Jax with a question. “Come to think of it, you took that ship from another country, where were you coming from?”

The air became heavy as Jax paused at his next bit thinking of how to answer the question, clearing his throat Jax speaks. “I was just coming from another country, it's nothing special.” Everyone had already become familiar with Jax's signal of avoiding questions.

“Well, what brings you to Equestria?” asked Twilight trying to keep the conversation going.

Again Jax felt the air thicken, “Just traveling around...”

“Is there anywhere in particular you planned to visit?” asked Rarity.

“No, not really...”

“So you came here with no plan on where you want to go?” Fluttershy questions with a hint or worry in her voice.

Everyone looked at Jax with concern as they waited for an answer. “Well, it's just what I do, I travel around, get work where I can, and when I've saved up enough I head to the next place...”

“Do you have any ideas on where you would like to start looking?” asked Celestia again.

Jax could feel his comfort Zone becoming smaller and smaller with each question. “I'll most likely look around for a small town, in my experience it’s easier to find odd jobs and later on steady work the smaller the town.”

A sudden gasp from pinkie almost made Jax jump out of his seat in shock as she had an idea. “Jax should come to Ponyville!” shouted the fluffy pink mare.

“Well, it's a good a town as any.” Apple Jack remarked agreeing, “And shoot, if you're looking for work, Big Mac and I could use another helping hoof for this year’s harvest season. We planted a few too many trees not too long ago and we're going to have are hooves full this time around. Seeing how easily you bucked that broken ship, I reckon you'd have no trouble bucking apples.”

“I think that's a wonderful idea, and I'm sure twilight wouldn't mind accommodating you until you can find a place to stay.” Celestia adds as she turns to Twilight suggestively.

Twilight gives an agreeing nod to the comment made a request. Again Jax had everyone looking at him waiting for a response. Jax thought hard about the offer just made, he had hoped to not get any more involved with this group of mares than was needed, however, he couldn't simply pass up such an offer of both work and housing. “Well... if it’s not too much trouble... how can I say no?” Jax forces a smile as everyone gives a light cheer to their new friend, while Jax questioned what he was getting himself into.