• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 1,410 Views, 77 Comments

Secrets of a Wanderer - Nero_Nova



A world travailing pony has come to live in Equestria and must keep his true self hidden from his new friends lest they learn who he really is.

  • ...
6
 77
 1,410

The Royal Visit

Author's Note:

so both the chapter and cover art is finished, hope you guys like it.

http://neronova00.deviantart.com/art/Chapter-13-The-Royal-Visit-569754434?ga_submit_new=10%253A1446431938

I would actually like to hear your thoughts on this and the last chapter guys, what do you think of holding the conclusion and the development so far? any guesses as to Jax past, or the meaning of his cutie mark?

let me know what you guys think, and don't forget to check out chapter 12 if you have not read the ending

Chapter 13 the royal visit

“Come on Twilight do we really have to do the rest, we're almost done anyway, let's take a break and head to Sugar Cube Corner.”

“No Spike, you have to clean your room,” The purple mare told the little dragon more like a mother than a friend. “Honestly, there's not a spot in the kitchen after you make your special cookies, but you can't even put away your comic books when you're done reading them.” Spike grunts as he goes's to address said problem while Twilight arranges his toys on the shelves. Just as the last piece took its place, a loud knocking sound filled the halls just outside the door. Even after so long of living in her new home, Twilight still had trouble believe that a knock at the door could be heard throughout the whole castle. Rapping her little assistant in magic, she teleported him and herself to the front door to greet their visitors.

Twilight's heart soared as she saw her brother and sister in law standing at her front door, without even a proper hello Cadence and Twilight start their ladybug dance just like they always do just before sharing a big hug filling the air with the sound of laughter. With a clear view over the pink alicorns shoulder, Twilight see's her mentor with her younger sister. Now overwhelmed with joy, the purple mare looked between her friends and family not knowing who to hug next. “What are you all doing her?” She asked completely unaware of the ear to ear smile she had clear across her face.

Celestia steps forward and embraces her faithful student, “It has been a while since we spent time together and Luna and I were wondering how our green friend was doing.”

“Then Princess Celestia was kind enough to invite us, and how could we say no to seeing our favorite sister.” Shining Armor mentioned taking the next hug from Twilight.

“So, where is Jax?” Celestia asked

“Oh, he's not here actually...” Twilight say walking over to hug Princess Luna who awkwardly hugs back, “He had a day off from working with Apple Jack and decided to take a trip to Appaloosa, something about getting leather and other supplies for when he go's travailing again.”

“What does he need leather for?” Shining Armor asks to which Spike shrugs his shoulders.

“Well, we may not get to meet this Jax character, but at least we get to spend some time together.” Marked Cadence rapping a forehoof around her sister in law again.

“Well... he may not be here now, but he will be back later tonight...” All of a sudden an idea came to Twilight that got her even more excited if such a thing were possible at this moment. “We could have a sleepover, you can all stay the night!”

For a moment everypony just looks at one another surprised by the sudden offer, royal duty's began to come to mind, some that required attention as early as that same night. One by one each prepared to give a reason why they could only stay for the afternoon until they saw Twilight with the eyes of a filly and her hooves clasped together awaiting their replies. Each of them had seen this look many times over the years, and each time, the mere thought of denying those eyes of even one request, just did not excise. “Well... I suppose we can all use a full day off from royal duty's.” Celestia said after seeing the everyponys reluctance to decline the offer.

Twilight squealed in joy, a rare sight to see even for her brother, the excited purple mare began listing off all the things they could do as she motioned everypony inside. Memory's of her as a filly kept playing back in the minds of her family and mentor, All of a sudden Twilight found herself being smothered in hugs from Celestia, Cadence, and Shining Armor. “Ummm, guys?” was all she could utter as she saw Luna holding back her laughter.

The day passes by and Twilight decides to head to Sugar Cube Corner to get some sweets for the night. “Hey, Twilight!” One hoof in the door and Pinkie Pie pops right out of nowhere and go's right up to Twilight, “Whatcha you doing?”

“Hey pinkie,” after years of Pinkie surprising her like this, Twilight was numb to the shock most others would feel. “I was just getting so cupcakes. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna came over to see how Jax was doing, and they brought Cadence and my brother along with them. With everypony here and Jax out of town until tonight, we decided to have a sleepover.” With each word more and more of Twilight's excitement slipped out.

Pinkie gasped as she runs behind the counter of the bakery and waited for Twilight to choose some sweets. “That's great, it's like one big party!” The pink mare says as she prepares a box.

“Actually, it kind of isn't it?” The thought was even better than that of a sleepover, “we could bring everypony, Princess Luna hasn't gotten to see the girls new cutie marks, I'm sure she would love that.”

“Oh and it's been a while since Cadence got to see Fluffle Puff and Chrysalis!”

“Then it's decided, I'll tell the princesses and my brother know, you go and let everypony know to come by when they're ready.” With that said Twilight picked out her cupcakes and was off, just as she expected, the idea of a party was more than exciting to everypony and in no time Pinkie had arrived with all their best friends, as well as the Changeling Queen and her fluffy little roommate.

“So you and Shining actually did it huh? How far along are you” The green eyed Queen asked dryly as if asking just to for something to do.

“Three month's, but Shining Armor and I are already getting everything ready,” Cadence replied, “Miss. Cake says the eleven months fly's by if you're not too careful.” Chrysalis took a sip of punch clearly bored with the conversation, “So, it's been a while since I last paid you a visit, how have you and Fluffle Puff been?”

Chrysalis looked into the pink princesses eye's with the most deadpan emotionless look one could ever see, something she was very well known for. “That little bundle of pink fluff you stuck me with for rehabilitation is still the biggest nuisance I have ever seen.” She looks off to the other side of the room to see the fluffy pink mare in question with Scootaloo on her back portending to fly as Fluffle Puff ran around making a buzzing sound. “But..... I guess it's been.... nice...” She forces herself to say trying to hide the tinge of red that was coming into her cheeks. She soon realized how unsuccessful she was with the sight of Cadence smiling and bobbing her eyebrows suggestively. “oh, you can just go straight to Tartarus.”

Not to far from them Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell were showing Princess Lune their new cutie marks describing in detail everything that happen, from Pip Squeak, asking from help to the end of their party. Luna Watch the little fillies and hung on each word as if they were telling a magnificent tale of adventure and discovery. After watching and guiding the three fillies in their dreams, it brought a tear to Luna's eye to see them finally get their cutie marks and how they were forever bound to each other with them.

Celestia and Twilight were busy going over the book's she had read talking in detail the best parts of each. Celestia again enjoyed the filly like look her faithful student had in her eyes with each book that came up. On the other side of the room, Rarity was struggling to keep Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack still as she put them through some beauty treatments. Apple Jack reluctantly kept her cool while the rainbow mare was held down with the fashionista sitting on her tail.

The day passed and night fell with Luna's charge coming over the horizon. Hours have passed and it was getting late, Jax would be back soon and Shining Armor thought it time to learn a little about his sisters house guest. “So Twilight, what's this Jax guy like?”

“well...” Twilight said bringing her hoof to her chin thinking, “he's a good guy, quiet and keeps to himself, but he has his moments where you can see he cares more than he likes to show anypony.”

“not to mention he's one hard worker,” Apple Jack added as Rarity added bobby pins to her hair completing a classy style for her mane. “fearless to I reckon, the way he got to us in Manehatten not too long ago.”

“Fearless huh? What did he do before coming to Ponyvill?” The girl's were silent after Shining Armor's question. “How about where he's from?” Again nothing, “do you know anything about him, from before he came to Ponyvill?”

“well...” Twilight paused for a moment knowing her brother would not approve of her answer. “He really doesn't like talking about himself, and it's not like he's done anything wrong, so we decided to just let him tell us something about himself when he's ready.” All she could do is nervously grin at Shining Armors disapproving look.

“Twilight, you're telling me that my little sister is letting a stranger live in her home with not so much as a last name from him?” the fact was always clear but had never been stated as such until just now bringing a sudden realization on the situation. For another moment, all were silent with nothing to be heard but a deflating balloon. Looking to the side of the room everypony found Pinkie Pie had done so purposefully for dramatic effect. The many disapproving looks made the party mare grin nervously and put away her balloon.

“Surly he must have said something about himself,” Cadence insisted looking for the smallest detail.

“Not really...” Flutter Shy replied, “it's not that we haven't asked, he just doesn't seem to want to talk about it, sometimes, it even looks like he's afraid to.”

“Darling what are you talking about?” Rarity questioned confused by the statement.

“haven't you seen it? The look in his eyes?”

“I think I have, once in the library...” Twilight brought up, “It was as if he wanted to talk, but something was holding him back.”

“alright now that's enough,” Apple Jack proclaim, “I said it once and I'll say it again, we don't now much about Jax, but think about what we do know about him. He's a hard worker and a loyal friend, why, he went from Ponyvill to Manehatten just to help us with those crazy sphinxes. And it's not like he's trying to take advantage of us, we have had to convince him to stay here and work with me on the far, and he's never asked for anything. We all have our secrets, and if the price of his friendship is not knowing where he came from, well I for one am just fine with that. For Celestia's sake, it's not like he's some kind of criminal.”

For a moment, silence fell again as everyone thought about the farm mares words until Rainbow broke the silence. “Well you never know, maybe he robbed a bank or something.”

“Well that doesn't make any sense,” marked Apple Bloom, “If that was the case he would be rich, but he came here with hardly a bit to his name.”

“Well, of course, he was broke, he spent it all on cider, that's what I would do.” It took a moment, but soon everypony was laughing at the ridiculous statements.

“Or perhaps he worked in fashion, that would explain his cloak,” Rarity added to the joke making everyone think of Jax as a fashion designer.

“Maybe he was a baker, those pancakes he's made for us were good.” Spike added bringing the thought of Jax in an apron making cake.

Fluffle Puff added her own idea with a series of sounds describing something that brought a shade of red to everyones face. “Get your mind out of the gutter you ball of fluff!” Chrysalis said snapping at her roommate making the fuzz ball put on a sad face for a moment. Just as the changeling queen started to feel a little bad the fluffy pink mare licked Chrysalis's face and went back to her normal smile. “I hate you,” she lied to her roommate hoping no one would notice the blush in her cheeks this time.

Suddenly the mood changed in the room as Shining Armor stood to speak, “regardless of what he use to do, it's still strange. If he really has nothing to hide he should have not reason to keep his past from us.” Each of them looked back and forth finding no flaw it this statement, if Jax had nothing to hide, then why not tell them.

“Maybe he's from some distant land he saved from monsters and left to get away from all the fighting!” Pinkie stated, bringing back the laughter as the image of Jax standing on a mountain of dizzy beaten monster came to mind.

“Gone for one day and you're already celebrating huh?” Everypony turns to see Jax walk in with a large bag on his back.

“Jax, welcome back, did you get what you were looking for?” Twilight asked greeting him home.

“Yeah I did, Brayburn was a big help in finding everything I needed.”

“Cupcake?” Pinkie asked holding a plate out for Jax.

“Not just yet, I'm going to put this all away first, be right back.” The green stallion turned into the hall to place his things in his guest room, doing his best to keep his composer as casual as possible. He had bee standing outside the door when Shining Armor asked about him, and Jax knew there was more to come. A full month had passed since he had come to the Equestria, anytime he visited a new land, there were always a few steps he had learned over to follow when travailing, but all that was thrown out the window when he woke up in a castle on the first day. At first Jax wanted to leave as soon as possible having felt he would become too close to these new ponies if he had stayed, however, it was becoming clear that the calm and good company maybe the reason he had stayed this long. But if experience has taught this stallion anything, that feeling he got back in the room was never good for him, and it may just be time to go.

This did little to worry him as he opens the door to his guest room to placing his things on the table inside. He had saved enough money and got some supplies he would need, there was no real reason to stay, and yet he found himself wanting to. Jax looked around him, the dim light of the moon through the open curtains illuminating his surroundings. A soft bed, sturdy walls, warm and safe, a place to work, a place to rest, a place this pony had only been blessed with once for a short time in his life, may years ago. In the end one thing was clear, Jax enjoyed his time with the girls and the pony he had met in Ponyvill though he would never admit it without being asked. If it was time to go, then he would leave with a smile and a laugh, it's the least he could do for his new friends, and no matter how much he tried to deny it, that's what they were, friends.

Meanwhile, Shining Armor was still standing quickly compiling a mental list of all the things he would ask. Just from hello Jax did not seem to bad, but as the captain of the guard, Shining knew all manners of deception and was not about to trust somepony to stay in his sister's home without some idea as to who he really is. The air was thick and all waited quietly for Jax return, there was no changing Shining Armors mind, the only question on everyponies mind was... what will they learn about Jax.

All eyes were on the green stallion as he returned and took a seat close but apart from the group. He was pleased to see Princess Luna and Celestia again, he would have the chance to thank them for their kindness in person if it were really his time to go. Fluffle Puff waved vigorously from the back sitting by her changeling roommate. Jax turned his eyes to the two new faces, to his surprise, one was an alicorn princess, wearing the same curious look every other pony was. Sitting right next to her was he only pony in the room that was not nerves, a white stallion with a shield on his flank. Jax was ready for whatever was to come and smiled.

Shining Armor had fixed his eyes on Jax from the moment he walked in and knew it was time. Somehow it felt as those this stranger was mocking him as if knowing ahead of time what was on his mind. How could he, though, the smile on his muzzle showed nothing but a relaxed pony joining a few friends for a party. Yet, he could see it in his crimson eyes, somehow, Jax already knew Shining was looking for answers.

Eyes darted back and forth between the two stallions waiting for either to speak as if waiting for somepony to make the first move to a game of cheese. Weeks of dodging questions, time after time of refusing to answer a single one about his past, now Jax was faced with a pony who had every reason to pry the answers out of him, or even force him to leave.

“You must be Jax...” Shining said breaking the silence like a stone to a mirror leaving a pause after stating Jax name, expecting him to finish with his last name.

“Yes, I am... I don't believe we've met...” no last name, just a smile and a stretched out hoof.

“Shining Armor, I'm Twilight's older brother.” taking the greeting and shaking hooves

“Oh yeah, the caption of the guard right, she's told me a little about you, some wedding you had...” The green stallion quipped looking over at Chrysalis.

“Yes well, the honeymoon was better...” The white stallion said looking over to his wife who had a light blush only he could spot in her pink coat. “I'm afraid I haven't heard much about you, though, other than how you work on the Apple farm and-and traveled from place to place...” Shining paused expecting Jax to continue the conversation, but looking back to him from Cadence he found Jax eating a cupcake Pinkie Pie had handed him. “So where have you traveled to?”

“All over really, I don't really plan it, just hop from place to place.”

“I see, so where were you before coming to Equestria?”

“Nowhere special really...”

Shining could tell he was avoiding the real answers and looked at his little sister with a raised eyebrow, to which she just smiled nervously and shrugged her shoulders. “So why all the travailing?”

“Just wanted to see the world...”

“What about the country you were born in, what one was it?” It was slight, but Shining saw it, a reaction, the smallest twitch under the green stallions eye. Thus far Jax had been calm and still as some of his best soldiers, but that one flinch was all he needed to know that this pony was hiding something, maybe more than a secret or two. The question know, what would he say?

“Somewhere far away, I left years ago...”

A simple enough answer, to simple for the caption of the guard, “Whats it called, maybe I've heard of it.”

“Unlikely, it's not a well-known place, doesn't matter, though, it's like they say, the past is the past.”

All eye's were on Shining Armor, a statement true as any other and not one that could be tip-toed around without hinting to his true intention. What would he say? What would he do?....

“Fair enough, after all we just met, can't expect you to tell me everything about you right off the bat.” Everypony let out a breath they didn't know they were holding, it was like watching an interrogation or some climactic battle, luckily the end was peaceful. Until, “But you see, you living with my sister and have yet to tell anypony so much as your last name, as the captain of the guard, I can't help be feel a little worried about this. Just earlier we were all speculating on what you use to do before coming to Equestria because so little is known about you.”

“Dash thought you were a bank robber that spent all your money on cider,” Apple Bloom stated.

“And Rarity thought you were some fashion designer because of your cloak,” Sweetie Bell added.

“And Spike thought you were a baker,” Scootaloo added and went on, “Ho. And Fluffle Puff thought you were...”

“Let's not talk about that one,” Apple Bloom said stopping Scootaloo with a hoof in her mouth.

“See, don't you think.... huh.” upon looking back at Jax after hearing the little fillies tell hit their ideas, Shining was offended to find the green stallion on the verge of laughter, and about to cross it.

He brakes out in a small burst of laughter just before speaking, “I'm sorry.... I really am, but that was just funny, and I kind of want to know, what did Fluffle Puff say.

“Oh no you don't, the kids are still here,” Chrysalis states covering her roommates mouth.

“Jax this isn't funny,” Shining said becoming increasingly annoyed.

“Oh come on, it's a little funny, me as a baker, that's just weird.”

“Well, why don't you share your profession with use then.”

“I'm a traveler, I don't really have one.”

“Well, what about your cutie mark?”

“My what now?”

“you know you're....” Shining Armor looked into Jax eye's expecting to see a sarcastic joke to come, but there was no sign of such a thing, this stallion had no idea what was on his flank. “The mark on your flank...”

“Oh, is that what ponies call it here, I've always just called it a mark.”

“you... don't know what a cutie mark is,” suddenly Shining felt as if he was talking to a foul just learning about life.

“Well I know what it is and how it works, I just never knew what ponies called it here. You miss a thing here and there while traveling as much as I have.” Jax could see it in his eyes, Shining Armor was not going to take just anything as an answer, he wanted the truth, the truth Jax just couldn't bring himself to share. “I understand you want to know more, but...”

“NO, no but's, your living with my sister, working with her friend, you came out of nowhere and the only reason you're still here is because of the kindness of everypony in this room, and you're telling me you won't tell us anything about yourself?!” A rare sight to see the caption of the guard lose his temper, but not unjust. Silence fell for the last time as all eyes were on Jax, his smile gone and he had put down what was left of the cupcake. The next words spoken would have to be chosen carefully, or it would mean the end of Jax in Ponyvill.

“I see... well I'm sorry I'm not so quick to share my nightmare's with you all...” Again the shattering of glass was all the could describe the feeling in the room. No words came to anyponys lips as Jax's voice replayed in their heads. “You must have heard it from time to time Twilight, sound travels oddly well in this castle.”

For a moment, Twilight looked at him clueless until she remembered a new sound that would come up every so often at night.... for the past month. “That... That screaming... at night...... That was you?” Ears dropped on everyponies head as they turn back slowly to Jax dreading his response.

“I didn't have the best upbringing, the reason I stay up so late reading is because I hate sleeping. You would too if all you see is the ghost's of your past...” Not a word was spoken, all of at once, everypony started to feel their heart sink at the recollection of the smallest time they asked Jax about his past. “I;m not surprised you have questions, I would question your sanity if you didn't.”

“But then why not just tell us...” Shining asked

“Sorry to say, but that's like asking me to relive it... We all have scars from our past, but I'd rather forget about mine.” Jax hung his head and hugged himself with one arm as if trying to push himself back. All of a sudden, a pony all have come to know as strong and fearless looked as helpless and depressing as a frightened foul. “If you'd like me to leave, I will...” those words cut deep into their hearts, “I don't expect you to understand... or except how hard it is for me to talk about my past, but of the things I've been through... and the thing's I had to do... just to... and.......... I'm sorry.... but even with all you have done for me, the reasons to stay silent, outweigh the reasons to speak.” He turns away as if ashamed, his mane hiding his eyes as his grip on himself tightens. All at once, everypony felt compelled to dig deeper, what happen to this stallion, what made him so distant, and what kind of scares is he hiding. So many questions, and yet..... not one of them could find the voice to ask a single question. “I meant what I said, your right to feel uncomfortable with knowing so little about me, and if even one of you thinks it best, I will take my things and leave right now.”

Jax forced himself to look Shining Armor in the eye, and the sight was more striking than before. Eyes once full of sorrow and fear, now full of bravery and resolve. One thing was clear, he was telling the truth, he was ready to leave if asked. Before anypony could utter a word the green stallion turned to leave, his head hung low again as his mind played back memories he wishes he had forgotten, memories no one would ever hear.

“Wait...” Shining spoke, forcing the word from his mouth, Jax turned back. “Please understand, this is my sisters home we are talking about, she means the world to me and I would do anything to protect her. So please, just tell me this...” Jax turned fully to face the white stallion ready for what may come.“Do you plan to, or would you ever harm my sister or her friends in any way, physical or otherwise?”

Jax took a seat by the door and closed his eyes for a moment to take a breath, when they opened again, it was more than the red that gave the look of fire in his eye's. “My words could not possibly hold as much weight as my actions, but this I can promise. I am the last pony you have to worry about laying a hoof on anypony in this town, I would sooner die protecting them.”

All he wanted was a yes or no, instead Shining Armor got a statement bold enough to get this stallion in the royal guard. The look in his eyes, power, pain, fear, all in one, a look only seen in the eyes of ponies coming... or going to war. “Then stay, for as long as you need...” he told Jax as he took a few steps forward, “But remember, I'm going to hold you to your word.”

Jax expected a lot of things, to be thrown out, to be rejected, to be given some guilt trip, all things that would have been completely understandable. Yet here was the Princes of the Crystal Empire extending his hoof in friendship, excepting him for who he is. Jax did the only thing he could, he shook hooves with Shining Armor. He smiled as the tension faded away like water flowing out of a stream until there was not a drop left. Everypony finally relaxed for the last time of the night and took a breath of fresh air that tasted sweet as candy. In the stillness, all that could be heard was Pinkie purposefully deflating another balloon.

This time Pinkie smiled ear to ear, Celestia started to giggle followed by Jax and soon Apple Jack, in no time everypony was laughing together as if nothing had ever happened. The party commenced once more and not another word was brought up about Jax past. Instead everypony played their games and talked, and for some reason watch Cadence beat Chrysalis at a staring contest while Jax and Shining shared a drink. It was a good night, and not over just yet.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Well... that went... OK... I guess....” A cool breeze fell over that green stallion as he stood looking out into the horizon from one of the many balconies of the castle. “Still feels like my hooves are shaking...” he thought to himself, “Haven't opened up that much in years... thank the ancients that crazy mares not here, I could see it now... her flying just above me saying, (see, I told you it wouldn't be a bad thing to open up, a little more and you might start acting like you have a personality.) Haha, I swear if we weren't trapped in that cavern I would have never told my story too...” Jax thought were interrupted by the sound of the balcony door opening. Turning fast as if ready to pounce he found himself looking into Princess Luna's amber eyes. “You're majesty?”

“Jax? My apologies, I was under the impression everypony had gone to bed... why are you still up?” Luna questions

“Just enjoying the night...” Jax notices the princess stand on edge for a moment, her eyes a little wider as if eager for him to finish, “I thought some fresh air would do me some good.” She suddenly relaxes as if disappointed.

“Oh... yes... I suppose that was a rather... difficult... moment for you... with Shining Armor.”

“Yeah.... been a while since I told that much to anypony... so... why are you still up?”

Luna raises an eyebrow confused, “I am the Princess of the Night, it is my royal duty to watch over my subjects as they slumber as well as offer them counsel and guidance in their dreams.”

“I see, makes sense”

“If you'd like, I can enter your dream tonight...” Luna offered, thinking back to when Jax disclosed his trouble sleeping, “Perhaps I could...” she began to say as she took a seat.

“Trust me, your majesty...” Jax says cutting luna mid-sentence, “My dreams are the last place you want to be...”

“Everyone has nightmares, Jax, I see them all the time, and have even been the cause of a few myself... even I have my nightmares from time to time.”

“About your banishment?” Luna looks at him shocked, “sorry, I ready about it and assumed, you don't have to tell me.”

“No, it's just...” Luna looked away for a moment, the strength and confidence she carried seemed less all of a sudden as she spoke in a slightly softer tone. “No one has asked me about that since my return,” now Jax was the one wearing the confused look with the raised eyebrow, “It's not as though I don't want to talk about it... but the few times the topic of my banishment has been brought up... ponies suddenly fall silent... as if it has been declared taboo.”

“If you'd like to talk about it, I'd be happy to listen.”

“No, I would not want to burden you.” Jax chuckled a little, “Is something funny to you?”

Jax looked back at the princess with a gentle smile he held as he spoke, “It's not like I'm asking you to give me your grief or something, I'm just offering an ear to listen if you want to talk.” Luna looked at her hooves as if contemplating the offer, Jax saw this and could feel she wanted to talk but was reluctant, so he thought of a bribe. “Tell you what Princess, you say what you want about it, and I'll tell you a secret of mine.”

More surprised than before Luna looked into Jax crimson eyes as questions filled her head, wondering if the secret would have anything to do with this strange ponies past. “But why? You've gone to such lengths to keep your past secret, why would you tell me something just to hear me talk about my banishment.”

“It's easy to tell when someone has something to say but won't...” She looked at the green stallion as if he were crazy, “Hey I'm basically offering you something for nothing right, so what do you say.”

From Luna's perspective, he was right, a clue to a mystery for little more than getting a few thoughts off her chest, what did she have to lose. She closed her eyes and took a breath, “I use to force myself to dream about it with a magical creature I created... but even after its destruction, I still have those dreams from time to time. Sometimes I can't really think what would be worse, going back to the moon, or seeing that look in my sister's eyes... disappointment... sadness... I can only imagine how betrayed she must have felt.” Jax could see the resemblances between the two sisters as tears welled in Luna's eyes. “When she offered me her love and friendship again, even after all I had done... there are no words for how that made me feel,” she tried to hide it by turning her head away, but Jax could see a smile across her face as the memory played back in her head.

“What about your time in the moon? What was it like?”

Luna's ear's twitched at the question, “To be honest, I'm not quite sure how to answer that. I know I was gone for one thousand years, but to me, it was only a few days.” Jax tilted his head again confused, “It was as if I was floating in a sea of stares for a few days, it was only after I came back that I realized I how long was I was gone.”

“Well, I suppose that's one thing t be grateful for.” Luna's look of confusion returned with the addition of shock and disbelief, “well think about it, your sister had to be without you, regretting everything that had happened, for one thousand years. But you got lucky, you know how long you were really gone, but to you it was only a few days of solitude.”

“I... I never thought of that...” Luna looked out into the sky, “I often fear it... going back and missing more time... away from my subjects... away from my sister...”

“I doubt you every have to fear going back.”

“But what if I lose control again? envy my sister and rebel again? What if I can't contain the nightmare?” Jax looked again into Luna's eyes, so much fear, so much sadness, so... familiar.

“Well, if that did happen, you're sister would be heart broken...” Luna had been holding back her tears the best she could, but hearing those words was enough to let one escape and slide down her check. “I asked her about it once, on my first night in Equestria... I have a feeling if she had to banish you again... her heart could not bare it.” Luna kept her eyes on Jax as if hearing the secrets of magic, it was clear she needed to hear this. “I know the feeling you're having Princess, I've seen it many times in my travels. The fear that you could go too far to relapse on old habits or mistakes, but in my experience, it is the lack of such fears that lead to repeating one's past.”

Luna's eyes shot wide at this idea, “I... but that's... I...” She looked away again her eyes darting back in forth in deep thought, all her actions since her return were to prevent her from ever turning into nightmare moon every again. Not once did she even consider that her will to remain as she is could be enough.

“Have a good night your majesty,” Jax said as he stood and walked off inside, feeling as if there was nothing left to say.

“wait!” Luna called, “ What about your secret, that was the agreement...” He stopped in at the door and looked back to the Princess who looked like a filly who was almost cheated out of a treat.

“Right, that was the deal...” Jax paused for a moment as if trying to think, “first tell me, when you were in the moon, did you ever hear anything?”

Again Luna looked confused, this look was becoming a constant at this point. “No, there was no sound when I was in the moon, all I could hear was my own voice.”

“I see, well then, here's my secret...” Luna walked over and leaned in, “Celestia would sing a lullaby for you every night when you were in the moon, to try and make the banishment easier for you. She told me when we were talking before, she hasn't talked to you abut it because she thinks you might be mad at her for it.” Jax smiled and walked away before Luna could say anything if she could.

Luna stood there dumbstruck by what she had heard, she wanted to be mad that Jax didn't tell her anything personal, she wanted to demand something else, or at least she would have. She stared into space as the words echoed in her head, Celestia would sing to her when they were small, but she never thought her dear sister would go so far as to sing to her every night for one thousand moons, just to ease her loneliness. The princess of the night wanted to ask more, she wanted to know everything about what Jax talked about with his sister, but the poor mare was frozen as the tears she held back all night finally found their way out. Quiet and soft as a mouse she whispered, “thank you,” just before Jax was out of ear shot.