• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 1,408 Views, 77 Comments

Secrets of a Wanderer - Nero_Nova



A world travailing pony has come to live in Equestria and must keep his true self hidden from his new friends lest they learn who he really is.

  • ...
6
 77
 1,408

A Trip to Filly Part 1 (Re-Uploaded)

Author's Note:

The final edit of chapter 18 with more to come in chapter 19 ad 20.

Also, be sure to check out this link to see a glimpse of the new cover art before its finished.

New Cover "Trip to Filly"

Stay crazy my friends!!!

Chapter 18, A Trip to Filly

“I’m telling you, her next book just has to be in Trottingham,” Twilight said pointing out a small circle spot on her fold-up map. “She got the sword, in the temple in Shanghai, had the metal tested by her friend in Europe, there’s nothing left to do but bring the sword to the Trottingham museum for safe keeping.”

“You actually carry this around with you?” Jax asked looking at the large world map his alicorn friend was levitating, which showed, in detail, the route Daring Do was taking during her latest adventure to find an ancient sword. “None the less, I think you’re wrong Twilight. If I know Daring Do, Trottingham is the last place she will go.” He said lying back in his seat and turning toward the window, watching the scenery flash by.

“What?!” Twilight questioned annoyed, “Ever since we boarded the train, we’ve been going back and forth about this and that regarding my favorite book series! You’ve told me I’m wrong on more than half my theories and now you’re telling me I’m wrong again when all the evidence points to my suspected conclusion!?” Twilight's eye began to twitch a little as she caught her breath from her short rant.

“….Yes” the stallion said hesitantly fearing the chance of seeing his purple friend catch fire.

“How!!!” She shouted dropping the map from her magic and throwing her arms in the air.

“Not by shouting I’ll tell you that much,” Twilight glared at him unamused, “let’s just say I might know a thing or two about Daring Do, and traveling. Trust me, her next stop is Japan.”

“Why would she go to Japan?!”

“I could tell you but… then it would ruin the next book for you.” Jax said laughing on the inside as Twilight’s eye twitched more as if she were going to blow a fuse, just before she face hoofed.

“Well, we will just have to wait and see,” Twilight said levitating her map, folding it up and tucking it back into her settle bag. “But I’ve got a good feeling about my theory, and don’t forget I’m the one who showed you Daring Do in the first place.”

Jax shrugged his shoulders and looked back out the window for a few seconds before the train car door flew open and a pink pony was pushed through by a very angry shelf pony, who slammed the door behind him. Jax and Twilight looked at their pink friend who swallowed hard what could only be a mouth full food that was once covered in frosting, most of which was now covering her lips. “What? So I have one to many cupcakes and the chef got mad.” The two raised an eyebrow, “Or, you know, twelve too many.” she added, “But can you blame me? I’m so excited I can’t stand still!” Pinkie emphasized as she hopped around in a circle before taking her seat with Twilight.

“So you eat sugar based pastries to keep calm?” Jax asked.

“You bet ya!”

“Good thing I learned to stop asking questions.” He said as Pinkie Pie licked her lips clean.

“Thanks again for inviting us to go visit Maud with you Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said as the train entered the city limits. “I can’t wait for a tour she promised us. Fillydelphia University has the second most high-end educational facilities in all of Equestria, Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns being the first.”

“I’m sure it will be everything you hope it to be Twilight,” Jax said as the three ponies disembarked the train after it had come to a full halt at the station. “Meanwhile, I’ll just be wandering around the art streets, from what Rarity says, this is the place for all kinds of artists.”

“Wonderful, then I’m sure you won’t mind if I tag along,” Said an odd but familiar voice from just overhead. Discord floated just above the three eating what looked to be a large hot dog and finished an equally large drink.

“Discord?” The three questioned in unison.

“Surprised are we?” he said flashing away and then appearing to hug Twilight and Pinkie Pie. “I was just at the Apple’s when I heard about the three of you all heading to Fillydelphia for a day with Maud.”

“O.K.… but then why are you here,” Twilight asked. “You still don’t like Maud for that joke she made at the last Galloping Gala.”

“Water under the bridge,” Discord stated dropping the two mares, “But since you asked, I was just thinking the other day, that the anniversary of my incredible reformation is coming up, and I thought, what better way to thank Flutter Shy for showing me what it’s like to have friends, then to get her a gift. So while the two of you are spending quality time with Maud,” He said pointing at the two mares before vanishing and appearing over Jax, placing his claws on his head, “The two of us can wonder around and see what we can find.”

Twilight and Pinkie looking at each other questionably, wondering what to think of the situation. Jax brushed Discords Claws away and stepped to the side, “Oh please, you just want to interrogate me about where I’m from.”

“What? Me, I would never,” discord stated sarcastically before vanishing and appearing on the opposite side of Jax in a small chair with popcorn. “But if you’re willing to share a story or two then please go on.” He said before digging into his treat, after which Jax face hoofs.

Twilight cringed at the thought of leaving Jax with discord, knowing that it really would be nothing but a day of interrogation. However, she was even more fearful of what a reality warping creature like Discord would do to the second greatest university in Equestria. “Oh look, there’s Maud over on the other side of the station,” Twilight said as she wrapped a hoof around Pinkie.

“Where?!” The pink mare was able to question just before Twilight rushed away pulling Pinkie Pie along.

“Did she really just do that?” Jax questioned as Discord floated closer smiling, “Oh don’t you give me that look.” He said to the smiling draconequus.

“I believe the art district is this way,” Discord said as he floated away before vanishing again, “at least that’s what this travel brochure says.” He added appearing on the other side of Jax hoping to spook him, only to find Jax was already facing the same direction. “How did you?”

“There’s a split second delay in your magic and you’re more predictable than you think.” He said just before walking off.

“Well, this should be an interesting day.” The trouble maker said seemingly to no one.


“MAUD! I MISSED YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!” Pinkie shouted as she held her sister in a hug so tight twilight was sure is would have broken any other ponies back.

“It’s nice to see you to Pinkie,” Maud said in her monotone voice, seemingly void of any enthusiasm. “You to Twilight, how have you been?”

“Oh you know, this and that,” Twilight responded waving a hoof, “I actually just got done with a lot of studying Princess Celestia gave me, so today will be a nice break. What about you?”

“More or less the same,” The Gray mare said rubbing her eyes, “I’ve been up a few nights in a row here and there studying. My professors suggested I take a day or two off before the semester finals, that’s when I got the idea to spend the day with Pinkie.”

“And then she offered to give me a tour of the school she goes to” Pinkie added, “and I thought; who would love a tour of a school with my amazing sister more than me, Twilight!”

“And I can’t thank you two enough; this is going to be great!” The three started to head for the exit when Maud stopped in her tracks and started looking around. “….umm, Maud, everything OK?”

“Pinkie said you were going to have another friend with you, did he get lost?” She asked

“Oh umm, no he’s just…” Twilight stuttered

“Heading to the artsy part of town with Discord to find a present for Flutter Shy,” Pinkie stated cutting Twilight off.

“Discord?” Maud questioned, “You mean that guy who tried to do stand-up comedy at the Galloping Gala?”

“Yeaaaaah,” Twilight said, suddenly feeling guilty, “We thought it would be best not to bring the reality warping spirit of chaos to the second most advanced university in Equestria.”

“Good call,” Maud said, earning a slight surprise from pinkie and a sigh of relief from Twilight. “I was looking forward to meeting your friend after reading what Pinkie has told me about him, but we have some very important research material at the university right now, and it would be best if we didn’t have some pony there that can defy the laws of physics just for his own amusement. Too bad we won’t get to hear any of Discord’s jokes, though; his show was going pretty good until he did that thing with the watermelon.”

“Riiiiight…” Twilight said wondering how anyone could have enjoyed such a poor attempt at comedy.

“So what would you like to do first?” Maud asked

“Well, I know you must not be eager to head back to the university but…” Twilight eyes beamed like that of a fillies smiling from ear to ear.

“She wants to see the library,” Pinkie said finishing for Twilight smiling with her eyes half closed. Maud responded with a small hint of a smile.


“I was thinking of getting her a new rug, maybe something Persian, that old one in her living room is really starting to wear and tear.” Discord said listing another idea on what to get for Flutter Shy. “Or maybe a new wind chime, she always loves the sound of those things.”

“I’m sure she’d love one,” Jax responded as he thought to himself, “What in ancients name could I have done to be stuck with Discord all day. Really hope I’m wrong about him.”

Jax spirits were quickly lifted as he spotted a string of ponies working at canvases’ of every size lined up on the sidewalk. From the classical style of acrylic paint to modern day spray painters; it was clear that all styles were welcome. Jax coughed at the thick smell of chemicals that filled the air but marveled at the skill and diversity of the artists, each creating their work without a single care as to what was going on around them. The rumble of carriages, the loud and obnoxious sound of the city, all faded away as they worked their craft. Walking along, with Discord floating close behind, Jax takes in the view of each artist he passes. Some gestor him over to buy their wears, others stop and look around or fiddle with their hooves’ and manes before popping into an excited expression as if struck with inspiration. The majority made a show of their craft, using bizarre and visually entertaining ways to create their art, captivating the small crowds of ponies, while only a few simply sat hard at work, uninterested, or even unaware of their surroundings.

One such artist caught Jax eye in a way that he could not ignore, a small green unicorn with a yellow mane that hung flat to her shoulders. In a glow of green magic, she gently waved a brush, carefully applying paint to her canvas, creating an open green field with two mountains overlapping each other in the distance. The lighting of the painting was dark and murky with a thick overcast of cloud, dark, depressing, and dull.

“So…?” Jax heard a young foal voice ask in the back of his mind, “What do you think is out there? You know, past the two mountains there.” The child added as the stallion fell back into his memories.

“I don’t know…” Jax answered in a whisper, “But someday, we’ll find out...” For a moment, Jax saw himself standing at the top of a tall tower, looking out a broken wall at two overlapping mountains overlooking a valley. The smell of the sea was thick in the air and was carried by the cold winds across a dull gray sky. The thick overcast of clouds let through such little light, not even a shadow could be cast. But Jax looked on, toward those two mountains, as if waiting for a sunrise that would never come. “If only we did…” he sighed ready to turn away. Just then, a glimmer of light began to peek over the mountains, glowing with bright, vibrant colors, warm and inviting, looking just like….. Discord?!

Suddenly Jax is snapped back to reality by the sight of Discord at another one of his random antics. This time, he had invaded the two-dimensional space of the canvas and took the form of a sun, leaving only his face in the bright circle to establish his handy work. “Discord! What are you doing?!” The stallion asked in a stern voice, clenching his teeth so not to raise his voice.

“What? Me?” The mischievous creator asked innocently stretching his paw out of the circle to point at himself, “I’m just trying to give this pony a little inspiration.” He answered bating his eye’s.

“Get out of there,”Jax demanded with a sinister scowl.

“Oh fine,” Discord said with a huff as he vanished from the artwork and appeared next to the stallion with his arms crossed.

The stallion gave the draconequus one last glare before turning to the artist, “I’m sorry about him, he’s not good with boundaries.”

“Oh, don’t be dear,” The unicorn said, “your friend is right, this piece would look much better with a bright vibrant sunrise.”

“Yeah…. It would…” Jax thought to himself as he walked away, his head a little lower than before.

Discord noticed the slight change and scratched at his chin, but his thoughts quickly went astray as he spotted a store filled with odds and ends, the perfect place to start looking for a gift for his dear friend Flutter Shy. Discord wasted no time and appeared at Jax side only to vanish once more with him and into the store


Twilight beamed as she walked into the Fillydelphia University Library, a three-story building with wall to wall books in the center of the college campus. As if by reflex, Twilight took hold of a directory of the library with her magic looking over it like a young filly on her first field trip to a museum in the big city. “Oh my Celestia…” she said quietly with a gasp as she looked over the listed sections of the library. “I’ve never seen so many different kinds of science in one place, Geography, anthropology, biology, cartography…” Twilight continued listing off names of scientific fields, each with their own section in the library, all the while heading for the first section that caught her interest.

Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie and Maud stood at the door watching her walk away, “I’m hungry,” Pinkie Pie told her sister.

“There’s an indoor café over there,” Maud replied in her monotone voice pointing to the left of the building.

Some time passes as Twilight walked among the book shelves, marveling at the many kinds of books she had never seen at her own school, often running up to Maud asking about a field of science she had not heard of yet. All the while Pinkie Pie enjoyed lengthy conversations with her sister, reminiscing about their foul hood, swapping stories that they had of their friends, enjoying a few treats they bought from the café.

“Maud, what about this one?” Twilight asked popping up out of nowhere with another book.

“That’s synthetic science,” Maud stated recognizing the book from a friend's class, “mending living tissue with magic is tricky and the few unicorn doctors that can do it right only use it as a last resort. So, earth ponies started their own kind of medical field that would allow them the artificially make living tissue that can regrow or even replace damaged tissue.”

“That is incredible,” Twilight said, once again in a hushed squeal of excitement, keeping in mind that they were in a library. “I have got to write this one down.” She added levitating what seemed to be a growing list of book titles of a long piece of parchment.

“Wow Twilight, I didn’t think there was a book in all of Equestria that you haven’t read,” Pinkie stated throwing her hooves up in emphases.

Twilight gave a bashful chuckle at her friend’s words, “Well…” She said nervously “Celestia taught me a lot about magic, but I had to research science on my own. She would often ask me what I was looking into and ask for a report on it just so I had a reason to talk to her about all my interests, other than magic that is.” Pinkie Pie gave a slight awe to the story before Twilight went back to the bookshelves.

“I’m really glad you found such good friends pinkie,” Maud told her little sister, “I have to admit, I was always a little worried you would cling to the rock farm like Lime Stone. I love our home, but I always knew it wasn’t for you, even before your first party.”

“I love home to,” Pinkie said a little too loud, instantly reserving a hush from a nearby student studying. “The rock farm will always be home, but I also love my home in ponyvill, and all my friends, not to mention the friends I made all over equestria. You wouldn’t believe how much we have to travel, and all the ponies, and even griffons we meet. All, though…” Pinkie said, pausing for a moment, her ears drooping so slightly that only her sister would notice the change. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the farm. I remember when Dad explained why we farm rock in the first place, how moving them around makes gems and crystals form faster, and how important they are to some ponies.”

Maud smiled at how fondly Pinkie spoke about the farm, watching her make little hoof gestures with each memory she brought up. “You know Pinkie, the farm is still your home, I’m sure mom and dad would love it if you wanted to visit for a few days.”

“Yeah I thought of that…” Pinkie replied, her ears drooping just a tad more, “But they always write about how proud of me they are, that I left the farm and went out on my own, not to mention everything I’ve done with Twilight and the girls. I feel like if I went back like that, they would think I wasn’t doing so well.”

No pony else but Pinkie could tell, but what looked like a slight twitch, was actually Maud’s eyebrows rising in shock to her little sister's word. “What are you talking about Pinkie; we all know how hard you work in ponyvill on your parties, it’s what you love and what your good at. We’re all proud of you and everything you’ve done, but that doesn’t mean we don’t miss you. Marble still tears up whenever she hears about how you saved Equestria, or just helped some pony because she wants you to come home to celebrate.” Maud watched her little sisters ears fall with every word as she slowly took the one expression she never liked seeing on Pinkie, sadness. “We all agreed to never tell you how much we missed you because we didn’t want you to come home on our account. The pie family has run that farm for generations and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon, so whenever you want to visit, or even move back, no pony would ever think less of you, if anything, I bet mom and dad would throw a party.” The gray mare gave a smile to her sister who was now tearing up as a smile crept its way across her face.

Pinkie was a blur as she rushed over to Maud, wrapping her arms around her in another back breaking hug. “I’ve got a few days off coming up…” the pink mare sniffled, “I think I’ll pay the farm a visit,” she said as Maud hugged back running a hoof through her sister's mane.

The two sisters held each other for a moment, until Twilight passed by again, muttering to herself about the books she found the most fascinating. “She really doses love books doesn’t she?” Maud asked as they watched were wonder off again, Pinkie merely nodded her head in response. “How long do you think she’ll be at this?”

“If we let her? All day,” Pinkie said releasing Maud and bouncing back into her seat feeling better than ever after her moment with her big sister.

“That’s too bad,” Maud said taking a sip of some coffee she had almost forgotten was there. “There’s some new research material in the labs that I thought she would like.”

“Research material?!” Twilight asked enthusiastically with a big grin on her face after she popped seemingly out of nowhere.

To be continued