• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 914 Views, 41 Comments

One Sided Crush - Arctofire



What happens when Spike's crush on Rarity goes too far?

  • ...
7
 41
 914

Chapter Seven

She was going to do it today, she had to.

After days of internal struggle and Storms speech, Rarity knew what was best. She had to tell him the truth, at whatever cost.

***

She knocked on the door of the Golden Oaks Library, hoping to take Spike out for a peaceful walk to tell him that she did not return his feelings. When he opened it, he beamed at her.

“Hello, my beautiful marefriend,” he said as he bowed.

Rarity had grown numb to his antics so she just continued, although she was still nervous about what she was going to say to him later on.

“Hello Spike, I was wondering if you would like to go for a stroll with me. Would that be okay with you?”

“Of course,” he replied. He shouted to Twilight saying he was going out, and then went to Rarity’s side as they began to walk.

***

After walking for a little while peacefully, Rarity decided on a place to sit. It was a bench facing the river, and since nobody else was around, it was remarkably peaceful. She called Spike to sit down as she did likewise, and took a deep breath. Despite the incredible calamity of where she was sitting, she still felt exceptional stress.

“Spike… we need to talk,” she finally managed to say.

“Sure, what about?” He said enthusiastically.

Rarity was about to violently shift his mood, but it was the only way.

“This needs to stop.” She said.

“What needs to stop?” Asked Spike.

“All of this!” She said, finally letting out all of her frustration and annoyances that she'd been holding back for days on end. “The flowers, the invitations to dates, the constant work around my home. It’s not that I don’t appreciate your help and affection towards me, but-but.” She paused and took in a deep breath, realizing that she'd gone overboard.

"Spike... I just don't like you in the way you like me, I'm sorry, but that's the truth," she said in a much more gentle tone.

Spike’s face suddenly went from happy to exceptionally miserable. It broke Rarity’s heart seeing him upset. What had she done!? Why had she been so direct!? This was it, he’d hate her now, they would never be friends again.

Trying desperately to undo the effects of what she had said but yet not take it back, she put her hooves around Spike, and tried to continue.

“It’s not that I don’t like you as a friend Spike, it’s not that I don’t appreciate everything that you do for me, it’s just- it’s just.” She started to cry in desperation, and put her head in her hooves, desperately trying to say something which would ease his pain. “Look, listen, is their anything I can do-”

“So all those dates we went on, all that affection towards me; it was all a lie.”

Spike pulled away from Rarity and looked up at her, anger and heartbreak clear in his eyes.

“No, no, well, sort of, just-”

Spike got up from his seat and started to run back towards the library, tearing up.

“Spike, Spike, come back.”

Suddenly, a bolt of fire came rushing at Rarity. She dodged it quickly, but it hurt just as much. The dragon looked at her, furious.

“Never. Speak. To. Me. Again.”

He ran off into the distance, still weeping. And after a couple of seconds to process it all, the beautiful white mare did the same.

Author's Note:

Written by me.

Yes, I decided I had to do this chapter, because I had an idea on how it needed to play out. JJ will be doing the rest. He's busy so he didn't proofread, I hope that there are no grammatical errors.

It was a very short chapter, but I don't think it needed to be very long. We've had all the build up, and this is the pay off. I made some changes to this chapter whilst I was writing it as well. Originally, Rarity shouted at Spike as she had been bottling up all of her frustrations and annoyances, but after re reading JJ's beautiful chapter 6, I realized this was a very bad move and not in line with Rarity's opinion of Spike, so I changed it slightly.