• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 391 Views, 11 Comments

War of the Moon (or Thanks MA Larson for the inspiration - WildmoonNH



Story takes place after Season 3. Not everyone was happy that Twilight became an alicorn...

  • ...
4
 11
 391

Chapter 3

Gallant Lionheart strode through the halls of Canterlot Castle, brimming with confidence. He had been summoned by Princess Luna herself regarding the Phalanx, the guards specific to Luna as the Solar Guard were to Celestia. He had heard some stories, sure, but his query was deliberate. While it was known that there were a few ponies who had been added to her contingent, the Phalanx roster was incomplete compared to the Solar Guard. Perhaps the interview could gauge how Luna felt about having so few to defend her honor. This would be a chance to gather more information about the troop complement and perhaps a glimpse at who would be replacing Shining Armor.

The moon was still fairly low in the sky, suggesting that Luna had only just completed her task. She'd likely be still watching from a parapet, or looking through a telescope at particular stars. He trotted up the stairs with purpose, forming the questions in his mind. He wished he could "talk" to Umbral about this but he was under orders to not contact his master until the interview was over and he was elsewhere in Canterlot, alone. Cover must be maintained.

He slowed when he saw two Phalanx guards eying his approach. Their visage would be horrifying to a commoner - gray-brown stallions in dark purple, spined armor, glowering with yellow eyes that seemed to glow in the dim halls. Their ears completely forward, shaggy and tufted more like a wild animals. Their wings were folded neatly over the jagged barding, blending in with the color and patterns. At first glance, some would think Luna had earth pony(monster) guards instead of pegasi. Lionheart refused to be intimidated, even if the "eye" on the chestplate stared along with its bearer. If all this display wasn't enough, the rumbling growl from them as he neared would be his sole warning.

He stopped several feet from them and saluted. "First Officer Gallant Lionheart reporting - I have an audience with Princess Luna."

The two guards each opened a wing, hooking a looped handle to open the doors to her office with the outermost bone of their membraned appendages.

"Enter at your peril," one snarled in a deep, feral voice.

"Survive only on her blessing!" the other threatened, baritone similarly low.

Lionheart did not submit to the intimidation. He nodded to both guards as he entered the chamber.

The Princess of the Night did have a spacious office for her regular activities - thick plush couches and cushions to relax as she would write, read, or study the designs of her night skies. Her furniture otherwise had been hammered out of wrought iron, shaped like winter trees, weathered boulders or enormous spiders. The walls were mostly bare, save an art piece covered with a deep purple curtain. The walls themselves painted midnight blue, with silver spatterings to re-create "stars" in the night sky of her room.

She had more duties now, slowly easing into doing the work her sister did for the last thousand or so years. She was studying tides that evening, ensuring that the moon would be properly positioned for safe travels for ponies at sea. Moon cycles were routine to her now, and the timetables were easily shared between her and her sister. Lionheart felt a touch of pride that the Moon princess was back to her duties despite the disagreements in her family.

Luna herself had gained much of her original, regal visage since her return. Her aquamarine eyes glimmered in the moonlight, and her mane carried the night winds by itself, reflecting like a mirror pointed to the night sky. Her wings neatly folded at her sides, her horn glowing over a couple of scrolls. She had not acknowledged her guest yet. The First Officer thought about announcing himself, stopping because he knew his current rank did not allow such.

The scroll snapped itself shut and drifted back to a desk with a thought from the Moon Princess. She then slowly rose, her mane still waving like a midnight flag. She stretched her wings a few beats before facing her guest.

"ANNOUNCE THY NAME, THY RANK AND THY BUSINESS!" Luna proclaimed in the Royal Canterlot voice. That, indeed, intimidated.

He cleared his throat. "FIRST OFFICER GALLANT LIONHEART, UNICORN BATTALION! I AM HERE AT YOUR BEHEST!" He hastily saluted.

Princess Luna nodded, satisfied. "Speak."

"Princess Luna, my inquiry is into the history of the Phalanx and your requirements for transferral."

"THOU REQUESTS JOINING MY LEIGON OF THE NIGHT!?" She thundered.

"Your guards outside are truly frightening," Lionheart admitted.

Luna managed a smile. "Hard for thou to believe that their names are Snapdragon and Emerald Charm."

Gallant Lionheart blinked, shocked. "A common gardener and a jewelcrafter? In the Phalanx?"

"That which qualifies one for the Phalanx is not what they did in the day," her explanation began. "Just as the day consists of both light and darkness, so too do the hearts of ponies. While others use the night to hide themselves, it is in the darkness that The Phalanx reveal who they truly are. One qualifies when they understand that what they do is in a place few ponies tread, and those that do..... rarely have good intention."

"War can take place day OR night, Princess Luna."

"But in the Night, WE are at an advantage! That is why The Phalanx' eyes glow like a manticore's! 'Tis why their wings are leathered like a bat! Tis why their armor's spines are sharp as a dragon's! They see you, they hear you, they will stop you before you're even aware they are present."

"What is your current complement? Princess Celestia boasts a Solar Guard of over a hundred."

"Her guard is ornamental," she snorted playfully. "The Phalanx has slowly grown since its re-inception. Mostly Earth ponies and pegasi, mind."

"Not an even distribution?"

"The Phalanx relies on speed and strength. Magic is rarely called upon, and the rigors of initiation to the Phalanx may be.... taxing to a unicorn. A unicorn applies for the Phalanx at his own peril."

"Then the boasts of your guards-"

"Is a true warning," she finished for the First Officer. "Are you volunteering to the Phalanx? Or sating curiosity of its ways?"

"Princess Luna, I felt you would be the sole resource. There are few texts in the Canterlot Library-"

"Because the secrets of the Phalanx are guarded by the Lunar side of the Family. These methods are seen by the Solar side as dark, sometimes cruel. They do not understand the toll the Lunars require for admission into their ranks. Unless you commit, under Oath of the Moon, then I can tell you very little more."

Lionheart knelt before her. "My curiosity thus sated, Princess Luna. I trouble you no further."

"Thou did not answer my question. Are you volunteering?"

Lionheart snapped to attention. "I would be grateful of the opportunity if it is formally requested."

Luna took a moment to look the veteran over. Despite being a unicorn, Gallant Lionheart had a solid build, a thick mane, and a well-trimmed beard. His current armor looked out of place on the body of what would pass for nobility. He held his breath briefly as she circled him twice, appraising every line, every hair, every twitch or motion. She finished her inspection and faced Lionheart.

"Officer Gallant Lionheart, you will make your oath here tonight."

"My....oath?"

"THOU SHALT SWEAR ON THE VERY MOON IN THE SKY THAT THOU SHALT HOLD THE HONOR AS ONE OF THE PHALANX OVER EVERYTHING ELSE IN YOUR LIFE!"

A glance out the window gave him his answer - the moon was not full, but waxing, and a trace of the moon's shadow could be seen. He cleared his throat authoritatively.

"I SWEAR UPON THE VERY MOON IN THE SKY THAT I WILL HONOR THE PHALANX NO MATTER MY PLACE WITHIN IT!"

"Thou shalt report in six days' time with the other recruits. Then you will know the next step."

-------------------------------------------

Metal ringing against metal, the hiss of steam from the cooling baths. The roar of the fire furnace, the silence of the frost furnace. The rumble of the hammering rig. This was all music to Hatchet's sharp ears.

o/` Dark of War, dark of night
through the battle and blight!
Warriors armed to strike!!

Dreams of War
Dreams of Blood
Dreams of Dragon's fire
and of blades that will bite!

No one sleeps in battle
keep your weapons sharp!

Exit light,
War in the Night!
Battles begin,
Send them to Oblivion! o/`

"I wonder if you ever sleep, Hatchet."

The smithy slowed his rig, spotting Umbral just outside the forges. "Can't be the best armorer and weaponsmith without the practice."

"Your enthusiasm to the cause flatter me regardless." The dark alicorn entered, looking at the scattered mess of armor parts. "Experimenting, or just boredom?"

"I ain't bored," Hatchet grinned. "Just trying stuff. Yer gettin new people in here every day, gonna make sure everyone can suit up."

"Your variety and creativity know no bounds, and you've learned much since crafting my and your associates' armors. But this request will be a bit of a challenge for you."

"Bring it, boss!"

"I will need identical sets of armor, its only variations for sex."

"heheh, you said 'sex'....."

"They will also need proper variations by breed."

"heheh, you said 'breed'....."

Umbral cleared his throat, the armorer still grinning. "Tell me Hatchet, you're good at original design, but have you taken commissions? This would be a very thorough challenge for you."

"Whatcha got?"

"Phalanx armor."

"Heheh, you said phal- PHALANX ARMOR??!?!" The shock snapped Hatchet's wings open. Umbral smirked. "Phalanx armor like the old Lunar guard wore?" Hatchet continued animatedly, "I've seen some drawings of it, That barding's the stuff o' nightmares! Spikes and evil eyes and dragon crests! Lacquered moon metals and no buckles! Shoes that look like they was carved outta quartz!"

"You sound.... intimidated?"

"Intimidated??" Hatchet repeated. "I'd have given my left wing for the metal forging recipie! That's the featherin' GRAIL in the armor biz."

Two scrolls dangled playfully around the pegasus. "Your grail runneth over, armorer."

Hatchet knelt before his "boss", head low and wings opened on the ground. He tensed when Umbral's hoof deliberately scraped from the ground, hovering menacingly over one wing. "What have I told you about groveling?" the impatient query from the alicorn.

Hatchet dared a peek upward. "Boss?"

"What have I told you about groveling?"

Hatchet snapped to all four hooves and saluted. "Better." The scrolls landed on a table and rolled open. "Now, there's a lot to these armors, not just their look......."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Citizens of Meadowson, hear my words! Canterlot calls you! Hear my words!"

The villa of Meadowson had welcomed the blue earth pony to their town, and had gathered with the mayor's blessing to hear her "story". She had been traveling to cities and townships at the princess' request, as part of the new recruiting initiative. It was more for Luna's team than Celestia's, but currently the Solar Guard was assisting in the Crystal Empire.

"I am Crescent Dawn, she who faces the night without fear! I do this for the beauty of the stars! I do this for the call of the Sunrise! Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are seeking able-bodied ponies to fortify their respective ranks! In a few days' time, a transport will bring all who qualify to Canterlot, travel expense to and from will be paid by Canterlot proper! Openings for the Solar Guard and the Lunar Phalanx are limited, but please step forward those who wish to defend Equestria!"

Several stallions and a couple of mares came forward as volunteers. Mostly Earth ponies, but a couple of pegasi and one unicorn. Crescent Dawn nodded. "Before you ask questions, I will give you the general qualifications:

"Regardless of stallion or mare, you are required to relocate to Canterlot if chosen. You will be given all the time you need and a stipend for transport of family and posessions.

"As a Royal guard, this will be your occupation. You will have to leave behind any duties, as mandated by your relocation.

"You must be fit and at least of independent age to try out.

"You will have a physical evaluation to your fitness, including your strength and endurance. Some medical conditions would be counterproductive to the duty, but this will be evaluated case-by-case.

"You will be given a reading and writing test, as many guard duties are not combat-related.

"Regardless of your cutie mark, everyone will be considered if they meet these minimum guidelines."

That satisfied a lot of the questions. With a nod Crescent Dawn continued.

"Many are aware of the qualifications for the Solar Guard, but for the Lunar Phalanx there are some exceptions:

"A second physical exam as the duty is especially demanding due to limited complement; this may change in the future.

"Unmated recruits only, as the schedule is a permanent night schedule. If you are fortunate enough to have a family working to your schedule, we will evaluate case-by-case;

"You will be required to fill out some extra forms before your tryouts as this is a much harsher duty." She looked up from her notes. "Any stories you have ever heard about the dangers of the Phalanx are NOT exaggerated."

A collective GASP! from the crowd inwardly pleased Crescent Dawn. "Forms will be available at your Town hall. You have til the end of the week to apply. Good Luck to those who step forward." She bowed to the crowd and trotted off.


-------------------------------------------------

Sandstone was back in the mines again, bucking at the walls for gems and metal. He'd almost missed the work, as his master had spent so much time studying, researching, and repairing the Librem Noctem. Dustmite was on an errand for Lapis and would be gone for a few days. The big earth zebra kicked at each wall, but less and less was coming from its riches.

~~Boss, the mine's pretty cleared out,~~ Sandstone reported.

~~Get what you can, I know there are other places to get the metals and gems we need~~

Sandstone tossed what little had had found in the carts and pushed them outside. His timing was pretty good- the steady flap of Slurry's wings caught his ears, and he watched her glide past him before landing next to the carts.

"You're by yourself," Slurry noted. "Where's Night Ash? or even that brat Morning Star?"

"Studyin, probly," Sandstone panted. "It's ok, just gettin some of the loose stuff into the carts takes a bit."

The bat-winged pegasus positioned her saddlebag next to the cart. "So what is he having you dig out?"

"More iron, and lookin for moonstones. Blue ones he said."

Slurry peeked into the mine, unable to see how far down it went. "Any luck with the moonstones?"

"Not yet. Dustmite's on the road to get some so they all match. Found this, though...."

Sandstone rummaged through the second cart and scooped out another gem. "Boss can't use it, can you?"

Slurry gave Sandstone a strange look before she saw the gem. A sapphire, a dark blue one, the same color as-

"Made me think of ya," Sandstone explained.

"...you saw it, didn't you?"

"Saw what?"

Slurry flew off in a huff. Sandstone looked at the sapphire. "but that's your color, isn't it...?" he asked too quietly for her to hear.

-------------------------------------------------

Lapis had returned to the Librem Noctem to finish cleaning up the mess that he made. He'd put the Phalanx book to the side, wishing to peruse it further. His ears twitched curiously as Hatchet's raucous laughter echoed from the forges downstairs. He stacked the scrolls that buried him earlier and started re-shelving the books.

"Safe to come in?" a cheery voice called from the entranceway.

"Desert Sun, you are always safe in my presence."

The red and gold unicorn trotted in, her silver eyes beaming from under her unruly mane. "So now that you're done wrecking Drakengard, have you thought about what's to be done about it?"

"About...?"

"Shy one, aren't ya?" She gathered a book with her magic and "accidentally" swatted Lapis with it before it found a shelf. "Morning Star told me everything. This 'alicorn' business - worried that someone is stepping in your place?"

Lapis took a very deep breath before speaking. "Commoners were not meant to be alicorns. There is a lot they don't know or understand. They will learn some of the harsher lessons that in time will crush them."

Desert Sun grew slightly nervous as she asked the next question. "It's about what Celestia said, isn't it? About the Elements?"

"I've not told the story because of what Celestia said. I am no longer capable of laughter. Even the grandest of schemes rarely bring a smile. It's troubling."

"So all this is some sort of gambit so you can laugh again?"

"That's oversimplifying it," Lapis snapped. "I - my brothers - we were all erased from history. Our parents are erased from history. Remembered in the hearts of the Family, but none outside the Family knew of Father and Mother."

"So where do the Elements fit in?" She asked.

"The alicorns have lost these Elements to commoners... Celestia nor Luna see this as a slight."

"So can you make new ones?"

"The Elements themselves are spirits, they too were not 'made' in the traditional sense."

Desert Sun playfully poked Lapis with her horn. "There's a thing to do - see if you can make some."

"A welcome challenge."

The red and gold unicorn stepped closer. "I want to hear this 'laugh' you had before all this happened."

"I promise you, Desert Sun, when we rule Equestria, I will laugh for you - every Summer Sun, every Winter Moon, and every day in between, I will laugh for you."

The two crossed horns for a moment before beginning to research.

-------------------------------------------------

Pinkie Pie bounced through the throng just outside of the library, ready to deliver some snacks made especially for Twilight by the Cakes. Even the twins helped out messily, so there was extra frosting everywhere in the saddlebag. It didn't matter to the pink earth pony. The treats were made as a gift to be given!

She paused in mid-hop when the crowd glared in her direction. "What?? I'm here to see Twilight."

"Get in line," one stallion ordered.

"Silly, there's no line - I'm her friend and I can see her whenever I want."

"We've got appointments!" One mare called from the crowd.

"And I've got CAKE!" Pinkie proclaimed as she finished her hop to the door and knocked with her forehead.

The crowd wasn't dispersing. In fact, it closed on her as the 'click' of the door signaled Spike answering to ANOTHER gawking pony.

"Yeah, what d'ya want?" Spike asked tiredly.

The response came from the charging townsponies as they flooded the library, eagerly looking for their new celebrity. Pinkie crowd-surfed into the library, holding her package over her head squealing happily. The horde slid to a stop and looked every which way, seeking out the famous occupant, noisily asking for her.

Spike needed a moment to peel himself off the floor, rubbing his head and straightening his spikes. "Pinkie, what th-"

"SPIKE!!!"

The little dragon cringed as a furious voice echoed down the stairs. Twilight had been studying in bed before the invasion, and she'd heard the thunder of two dozen ponies stampeding in her library, the din enough to interrupt her concentration. She marched down two or three steps until the collective gasp of the audience stopped her, followed by them kneeling. Pinkie looked around at the group, confused. "Uhm...." Pinkie offered a weak grin. "Hi, Twilight?"

"What are all these ponies doing in here??" Twilight demanded. "Pinkie, did you let them in?"

"No, they kinda let themselves in...." she quickly held up her package. "I brought cake!"

A pony next to her grabbed a bit of her curly mane and tried to pull her to a kneel. She didn't budge. She could see that her offering wasn't calming Twilight down. The slowly darkening expression on her friend's face did get the gears spinning in a different direction. Just as Twilight's new wings snapped open, Pinkie shrieked:

"AAAAAA!!!!! SHE'S GONNA TURN US ALL INTO TURNIPS!"

The audience, as one, fled the building, leaving Pinkie to land face-first into the cake. Twilight boggled at the sudden exodus, then realized that Pinkie's "Scare tactic" cleaned out the library faster than her spells could have. She nodded to Spike, and the little dragon closed and locked the door.

Twilight closed her wings, a little embarrassed at the flare-up to begin with. She walked downstairs as Pinkie popped up from her sudden confectionary facial. "Hi, Twilight!" Pinkie said as if nothing had just happened.

"Pinkie," Twilight began, "You brought half the town in here just to give me a squashed cake?"

"Well, it wasn't squashed when I got here! I wanted to give you a cake because you're still one of my bestest friends in Equestria and even if the rest of the town wants to treat you like a 'Princess' and not treat you like you doesn't mean I'm gonna treat you like a 'Princess'...." the spiking of sarcasm at the title as Pinkie rambled on felt like a poke at Twilight, who lowered her head in resignation. Pinkie didn't notice as she continued to explain herself.

"So I know that it's a big job and all but it's just a word - 'Princess'! I mean, it's pretty and it's important so I know it HAS to be pretty important!"

"Pinkie.....?"

"And for someone that's pretty important, I know it's pretty important to be nice to them but not too too nice because then you think we're doing it because 'oh! she's a princess now, we HAVE to be nice to her'!"

"Pinkie...."

"So I thought that since you wanted someone to be nice to you but not talk about the 'princess' thing because everyone in Ponyville is talking about it and wants to see a Princess in person just like when Celestia or Luna comes to Ponyville-"

"PINKIE~!!!!"

The pink earth pony snapped out of her monologue. "I just wanted to come see you, Twilight."

Twilight softened at the sincerity. "Well, as long as it's just you this time."

Pinkie hopped up. "But it's not a party without-"

"It's a visit, Pinkie. If you want to throw a party, let me know."

Pinkie blinked. "Okay...." the worry disappeared with a thought. "CAKE!" She declared, holding up the sloppy mess that was her gift.