• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 391 Views, 11 Comments

War of the Moon (or Thanks MA Larson for the inspiration - WildmoonNH



Story takes place after Season 3. Not everyone was happy that Twilight became an alicorn...

  • ...
4
 11
 391

Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Morning Star sat herself across from Lapis in a small windowless room that had been shut off to everyone else in Drakengard. The Shadow of the Moon explained that this was where he would meditate or prepare spells that required the utmost concentration, focus and accuracy. Desert Sun might not have even seen this room yet! She tried not to bow to Lapis as his midnight-blue eyes focused on her.

"What I am about to show you is a spell that I have taught no other pony," he began. "My signature spell of Absolute night, and what can be done with it."

"You never cast that around anypony," Morning Star said with bewilderment. "You said it was dangerous."

"It can be and it WILL be, once you truly understand it. You see, ponies fear darkness and shadows because of all the tales of creatures that can see in the dark. Stories spread by so many after what had been done because of Nightmare Moon, so ponies still miss the spectacle that is the Night.

"I created this spell as means to show ponies the difference of what night can be - quiet, peaceful, serene. Most run into their home and lock their doors, fearing what is out there. Night has its dangers, but so does the day! If a pony needs something to truly fear, it is a Night without a moon or stars. Do you trust me in this demonstration?"

"Of course."

"Then follow my words.... close your eyes."

Morning Star did so, awaiting more instructions. "Do not peek, leave your eyes closed as though the sun was blinding you. Sit as still as you can. Breathe slowly. Breathe deeply. Even. Simple. Breaths. A rising and falling wave of air...."

She continued the slow breaths, the silence allowing her to focus her magic. "Now," he whispered, "the incantation to bring forth this darkness...... are you prepared?"

"I am prepared," she responded.

"HAASSKEEKAH~~!!!"

Morning Star shrieked, instinctively firing energy from her horn at the sound. Her screams and the mysterious jabbering of the new voice echoed hard across the bare stone walls. Lapis' orders only added to the confusion as the new voice laughed over the panicked pony, mocking her in a foreign and evil tongue. This new creature apparently the only one amused as the Shadow of Moon verbally struck back.

"T'SHEAHY SHOHKA~!" Lapis thundered, silencing the creature's laugher. Once the racket stopped rebounding off the walls, the alicorn felt comfortable to speak again. "Morning Star, compose yourself before you open your eyes. We have.... unexpected company."

Uneasy laughter met her ears, but opening her eyes beheld a horrific creature, larger than her, looking every bit like a shambling corpse of a vulture. What little skin remained on its bones stretched tight where sinew should be, and a haphazard covering of scales and feathers the more unsettling. Its wings looked more like bony arms, ending in sharp talons that pointed at her with malicious intent.

"Ehvista dii," Lapis barked at the monstrosity, who withered at the words.

The white unicorn continued to back away from it, flank touching the wall and spooking her anew. "What...what IS that thing?"

"Apparently someone let him out of Tarterus for a reason. Speak common, Nightwake, she does not understand your native tongue."

"Goz, Mez send," the creature cawed, pointing to itself. "bring message! bring help! Thank you for their talking toy!"

"They were very pleased with my giving Sombra the means to speak, I see."

"Learn many words, curses, insults! Things better than 'Targh' and 'ghalaran'...."

"Your language curbed in my presence, Nightwake. Ponies do not need to know these words. Now why are you REALLY here?"

"Found help, Goz, Mez! Sense it near? Somepony woke them, maybe after you move bad magic?"

"You're speaking of the Spellbreak whip."

"Hunters' whips, they tear and maim. Told of scars on many kin from them. Some die for good." The creature lowered its ugly head, sad or ashamed of such things.

"The whip is not here, but with somepony who can wield it-"

"Mah'trai raghaa tiyi!" Nightwake hissed.

"Mind your tongue! The original wielder is dead and the weapon shown to the owners. If they choose to assist, they will assist. If they do not, nothing of value is lost."

"Strife apparently needs a hug or something- what's he got against unicorns, anyway?"

"It's.....complicated. Nightwake, can you show me where this other potential ally might be?"

"Show! Tell! Reward for help yes?"

"You have told me already. Now you will show me. Your reward will depend on what transpires."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle awoke to the shuffling sound of Spike's feet in her bedroom. The little dragon was balancing a huge framed picture on his head, trying to leave the gift on one of her dressers for when she chose to fall out of bed. The past few days had been restful, the crowds still bustling (but well-fed), and the respects doled to the young alicorn becoming less and less formal. She sighed happily; Zecora was right, all that was needed was time. She peeked to the little dragon as he precariously settled the picture in place, frowning as he had placed it upside-down. Before he could reach for it, the purplish magic from Twilight's horn righted the gift into place.

"Aww, you were already awake..."

"You don't tiptoe very well, Spike, but thank you for bringing that up here. I didn't want to hang it in the library proper." Her magic gathered the image gently and replaced another picture on her wall. While she loved the older pic of her family the day Shining Armor left for Academy, she needed something to demonstrate how much her "family" had grown in the intervening years. Pinkie Pie's camera captured a rare image of Twilight with her family and her closest friends all in one place, genuine smiles and love flowing from it like rays from the very sun. Everyone in this picture had their own copy; Pinkie turned it into a game with the alicorns, each trying to duplicate the image with their magic. Cadance struggled with the task but admitted that magic outside her forte needed more work. Luna's copy unsurprisingly came out too dark, but she corrected the coloring with a second cast. Celestia's added details to the image more out of appreciation of the picture than for a mere show of power. Twilight made five duplicates all at once, matching exactly to the original. Everyone left that party with a loving memory of being together and holding that memory in place.

"That's how a party SHOULD work!" Spike remarked as the picture found its place.

"Putting Pinkie in charge of it helped it out the most," Twilight's sleepy response. "But it was wonderful to have everyone together for a few hours so that we could catch up."

"So what's the plan for today? Book reorganizing? A letter to Princess Celestia? Researching more spells?"

Twilight slid herself from under the covers, stretching her wings. "Actually, yes, take a letter."

Spike gathered his quill and scroll. "Dear Princess Celestia..." she began.

"Do you even have to use 'Princess' for her anymore?"

"It's her title," Twilight replied. "I have to."

"Okay...." Spike quickly added the honorific.

"Dear Princess Celestia, I have not received an answer from Aurora regarding her interest in the Magic Council. I would like to formally invite her to the Ponyville Library to discuss any issues she might have with the post and any questions she would have regarding her responsibilities and schedules. Please speak with her as time allows and notify me if she is coming to visit. She is welcome regardless of her answer." Twilight paused, realizing she was unsure of how to sign the letter. "I can't say 'your faithful student' anymore, can I?"

"You can just put 'sincerely', and yes I know how to spell it."

"It just doesn't sound as personal. It's fine. Send it as soon as it's ready."

Spike did so. "So now what?"

The little dragon realized he didn't even have to ask. Twilight had already gathered a familiar black book and settled back on her bed to read.


----------------------------------------------------


The final leg of Strife's journey would be a rare time for him to rest - he had made it as far as Appaloosa, but the delays and detours made a long walk much longer. He offered a few bits to a prospecting couple who were surveying the railroad tracks that dead-ended south of the small town.

"Tumbleweed and I know almost ev'ry inch of the area south of here, all th' way to the mountain range," the light brown mare explained to their passenger. "Railroad's been built if they ever decide on a minin town that way, ain't that right hun?" She nodded to her husband, who was pulling the cart for this leg of the trip.

"That's right, Sandspur," the shaggy brown stallion replied over his shoulder. "The wife and I are hopin to have all that mapped out so when they're ready to get to buildin we can show em where t' start. Appaloosa and Dodge City could use the jobs."

Strife nodded, wishing that they wouldn't talk to him at the moment. His head still stung and his hooves were sore from the travel, but at least they were Earth ponies that weren't asking him questions. "So Tell me," he began as cordially as he could, "you've seen some unique characters around in your travels, haven't you?"

"Oh, we do!" Sandspur happily replied, "we get all kinds out this way. Buffalo are explorin this way, there's been mules in town of late. We've had visitors from all over thanks to the Apple Family."

"Any.... odd visitors?"

"Ah bet he's talkin bout them weird mares that meet out here ev'ry now & agin," Tumbleweed shouted back. "They meet southwest o' here. don't talk to nopony, usually."

"What about that multicolored mare? The one in the poncho? She ain't friendly at all!"

"So is she connected to these other 'weird mares' you mentioned?"

Tumbleweed glanced back again. "I seen em from time t' time. Don't talk too much to no pony, just do their business an leave. Sometimes we see em out by the west edge of the Macintosh hills. Guess somepony's got a place set up there. That where you wanna go? We don't know much past the valley entrance there."

"If it's not too much trouble. You know this leg of it well."

Tumbleweed slowed the cart to a halt, shrugging off the harness. "Don't you worry none, we'll get you out there. Sandy, you pull from here so I can keep lookout." The puzzled look on Strife's face caught his eye. "We're just Takin turns, we cover a lot more ground this way."

Strife nodded in approval. "Seems like a good business practice to me."

Sandspur easily shouldered the cart yoke and continued the journey. "Now these mares," Tumbleweed started as the cart picked up speed, "h'ain't seen em too often in recent months, but apparently there's gotta be some zebras with a camp out here....seen a unicorn zebra, usually just wearin a cloak when she gets here. Pays for full price fare. 'parently there's a colt they let travel alone, too."

"Zebras?" Strife feigned surprise. "This is a warm enough area for them, given the Farasipundans."

"The Funsy-who-ins?"

"Where most zebras are from, but that's not important right now. When was the last time you saw any of these mares? Or even the colt?"

"Just a day or two ago. Unicorn zebra, darndest sight I'd ever seen. She came in with two big saddlebags, didn't ask no questions and galloped on her merry way. I had some boys from Dodge Junction in town wantin a tour cause they're thinkin about startin a cactus farm out their way. I told em prob'ly so, but who buys cactus anymore? He tells me 'Son, you carry a cactus with you, you got water, you got a weapon, and sometimes you'll get a cactus blossom for your pretty wife'."

Strife nodded, wearied further by the stallion straying off the subject.

"So we're out this way prospectin cactus and we see that zebra headin out toward the pass. I tell them cactus farmers 'ain't nothin out that way - where she goin?' He tells me that there gotta be zebras out this way cause he gets a couple o' normal zebras in town once a month for their cherry crop. I ask em if they know any names, he says 'Can barely talk to em, they don't speak our language right'. All that rhymin - Can't they speak normal to other ponies? They get the words right, just all that rhymin... ain't nat'ral."

Strife shook his head, willing to cover for his tenuous allies. "That would be like asking a pegasus not to fly. Or a unicorn not to use her magic. Or an Earth Pony not to be strong. Or Celestia not to raise the sun."

"Mercy, you'd think I was some sort of ponyphobe!" Tumbleweed verbally backpedaled. "Anyhoo, I ask him if he knows any of their names and he says 'I just call em bits because they got a lot of em'. Some kinda rich, never hagglin prices, just get what they want, full fare."

"Interesting," was all Strife could muster.

"I got no manners, so pardon my askin.... what's so big about them zebras anyway?"

"It's a favor from another zebra friend of mine. He'd asked me to find out more about their settlement, and deliver a few messages."

"Ask him about the pegasus!" Sandspur called back to her husband.

"Pegasus?" Stife masked his disdain.

"There's this other mare, she'll come into Appleoosa now an again and buy oats and apples and other supplies. She ain't no zebra! Tallest mare I ever met, color of the desert... clays an dark yellows, wears a poncho cause she got such big wings bet she could flood out a town on her own."

Strife already guessed the characters in question. Night Ash, Sandstone, Dustmite and Slurry. Perhaps they're a little TOO conspicuous despite the remote location. "They've done nothing hostile, correct?"

"Yeah, but they gotta be t'gether - that zebra come out here where they don' thank anypony goes and meets up with that pegasus.. I think that pegasus must be doin weather for that zebra camp yer lookin for."

The cart slowed once more, just outside a gaping valley. Tumbleweed pointed ahead. "River runs right through it, so they got water. Figured they'd want more sun than shade, hope they c'n grow anythin we ain't got. This's far as we go, we gotta be back in Appaloosa by sundown."

Strife leapt from the cart as Tumbleweed dragged his saddlebags into reach. "You've been most informative." He nosed open his saddlebag and tossed a bag of bits up to the driver.

Tumbleweed heard the *thunk* of the bag, doing some math in his head from the weight of the bag. "You sure 'bout that? Aincha gonna need train fare goin home?"

"I have friends in.... 'high places'," Strife responded as he shouldered the saddlebags back on. "Keep this journey our secret. This was rest I certainly needed."

Sandspur beamed at their now former passenger. "That's mighty kind of ya."

"I won't keep you any longer, I think I can find them from here." He galloped west, not a single glance back.

"Ain't he a piece o' work!" Sandspur told her husband as they traded places.

"Prob'ly works for the gov'ment, they all are."

----------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash perched on a cloud drifting north, following the trail of the railroad tracks. This trip was to be her biggest weather job to date - clearing the snowy areas around the Crystal Empire so that a hundred or so ponies could double the tracks! She grinned at the sight of pouring bright sun down on the workers so that the snows wouldn't slow their work. A month or two out of Ponyville sounded like forever when she got the details, but Fluttershy promised to care for Tank and check on Rainbow's cloud-house at least once a week. It would be worth every minute if the report goes back to Spitfire! Dash dove off the cloud at the thought, swooping at the wandering northwest tracks.

From the west side of the Unicorn range, Dash could see a junction of the tracks, splitting north and west. She knew that the west track led to Vanhoover, and the north track turned back east and into the bitter cold that surrounded the Empire. She purposely declined a train ticket to test her own endurance. Recalling Spitfire's words, she accelerated along the track line, hoping to reach the Crystal Mountain range before nightfall. Sailing over the treeline between the tracks and Galloping Gorge, she fell back to her daydreaming about the Wonderbolts.....

A shrill whistle caught her ear, snapping her out of the reverie. A train, loaded with ponies heading the empire, likely spotted the mare and tried to catch her attention. Dash banked hard, a rainbow contrail following her to the roof of one of the passenger cars. A red female earth pony poked her head out the window.

"You overshot the academy!" the earth pony joked.

"I'm following you guys- you need a good weather crew!"

The earth pony slipped back into the train car, and within moments a "Rainbow Dash~!" chant broke out from the inside. The multicolored mare dramatically swooped through an open window, where cheers followed as several other Ponyville pegasi pounced her.

"We'd heard you weren't coming," Thunderlane groused as he untangled from the pony pile.

"And miss this??" Dash retorted. "I was trying to fly there myself, so there'd be an extra seat on the train!"

"Which means you'll probably be wiped out when we get there," he taunted.

The red earth pony mare stepped between them. "And you'll both be tired from blustering."

"So why'd you flag me down?" Dash recognized the mare.

"Star Hunter spotted you first. He wanted to make sure you did get plenty of rest since there'll be day and night shifts for the railroad work."

"....have we met?"

The red pony offered a hoof. "Red Embers. I'm going to be one of the cooks for the field teams. I've never been to the Crystal Empire, and really nopony else has had a chance...."

Dash grinned. "Well, let me tell you about some of the sights you're gonna see there!"

Thunderlane and Star Hunter exchanged knowing looks. Their female rival won't stay quiet until they get to the Empire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~I thought you were training with Master Lapis,~~ Aurora puzzled as her friend poked into her mind.

~~Well, I WAS, but then this weird little imp appeared... looked like a shaved vulture carcass, it was really gross!~~

Aurora changed the subject abruptly. ~~Princess Celestia approached me again about the Magic Council. I'm going to have to give them an answer soon.~~

~~You told her you wanted to tell Twilight Suck-up in person, right?~~

~~Yes, but-~~

~~Leave that to Master Lapis and I. You might not have to give an answer at all!~~

Aurora puzzled that answer. ~~I don't understand what you mean.~~

~~When he's done with this, he's going to show me his Absolute Night incantations! I'm gonna make you something to give to the "Princess" as a "Gift"!~~

----------------------------------------------------------

"Show! Show you! Yes, I show!"

Lapis glided down from the spire with Nightwake on his back. The imp continued to jabber as the alicorn closed on the new mine. "Show you! Not hear?? Little laugh, angry moan! Hide here, yes?"

"There was nothing in this mine when Sandstone and Dustmite came to explore it," Lapis insisted. "Though if it was the whip that kept them in place, perhaps now they are exploring their new surroundings. Why have they not been 'gathered'?"

"One STRONG! Not leave, made sure before he die! Other with him, he STRONG! Not want to be alone! go see! Go see!"

"You will accompany me, Nightwake. No reason to split up now."

The little demon hesitated before settling on Lapis' back. "Magic trace, still there! Feel it? Targh...."

"Quiet," Lapis hissed. "Whatever's down here might not be as forthcoming when they hear your blathering."

The two peered into the mine, where most of the entranceway had been blocked by the giant rockslide the zebra brothers accidentally started. The debris didn't block passage, but the alicorn knew he would not fit. Sending Nightwake ahead would only stir the imp's urges to cause his own chaos. "Move the smaller stones," the whispered order. "I will clear what I can with magic. Make as little sound as possible."

"WHAT~!!?" the imp screeched, causing another rumble through the entranceway.

"QUIET~!!" Lapis growled back.

"Quiet as you!" Nightwake laughed. The alicorn swatted the creature into the wall.

"I said be silent," the dark alicorn demanded in as loud a whisper as he dared, "or we'll both be taking a much shorter route back to Tarterus. Are you that stupid or lazy?"

Nightwake clambered back on Umbral's shoulder. "Stories and rumors," it buzzed, "the Sister -one thought you dead. Many ask, we show. Goz, Mez, ask when-"

"I'm not in any hurry to BE dead," the irritated reply as Lapis continued to clear a path. "how does such nonsense get to your nonexistant ears?"

"Many work for sister. Some ask we tell them. Sister hide you from Equestria, yes? She want you forgotten, yes?" Umbral's demeanor could not become much darker. Nightwake finally shushed, peering into the darkness ahead.

The alicorn's ears turned slowly, listening for the rattling of dust and the occasional bouncing stone. A glimmer of magic from his horn reflected off many surfaces ahead, revealing gemstones and metal ore. Had he come for those, he would have been inwardly satisfied at his choice. Instead, he stepped warily forward, eyes soaking in the darkness and making sense of the hallway ahead. He had come to see what an emaciated bird-demon yammered about in the middle of an important and private lesson.

He magically scanned the walls - iron, copper, osmium? He'd have to have a word with Hatchet on their return. That idea quickly forgotten as a strange howling sound - an echo of ages, certainly not the wind - whisked past the odd duo, the howl being chased by a crackling squeal. Umbral turned to rebuke Nightwake, who already had both bony hands over his beak, he had not laughed at this sound! The Shadow of the Moon turned back down the hallway, where the chorus repeated, drawn out to make sure the message was understood.

"Not alone," Nightwake stammered quietly.

"Hush..... who's there?"

The mournful sound repeated once again, followed by a trebled tumble of a child's voice. Umbral attempted to brighten the area, only for a second cloak of shadows to sweep over him. "Darkness may be your shield, but I wield the night as my weapon," he warned, "I am the Shadow of the moon itself, your darkness means little to one who carries it within."

The shadows swirled away and settled before them as a ghostly creature, a unicorn with blackened eyes and smoky mane. Its body a horror of swampy greens and dark grays, standing at the edge of the living and the dead. The scent of death hovered with its mane, and its infernal speech garbled as it attempted to address its guests. The creature's head lowered, nosing at what looked to be a filly with vacant eyes and unsettling smile.

"LICH!" Nightwake vanished in a puff of brimstone. Umbral ignored the shriek.

"I see that you are not alone in here. Your story, lich, and tell me of the rotten leaf that follows you in the shadow's wind." With a nod to the little one the alicorn cast, giving the creature a voice. "Speak! How did you come to this place? Was it my shadows that called you?"

The lich opened its mouth once more, voice distant as its own past. "Your magic does this... you choose not to destroy me? Or my daughter?"

"'Daughter'....?" Umbral looked to the filly, who shambled up to him to get a closer look. Cowed by the empty but innocent gaze, Lapis peeled some shadows from the walls and shaped them into a black apple, which he lowered within the little one's reach. She babbled and clumsily reached for it. "So young, and doomed to wander in this state."

"She is safe with me," the undead warned. "You'll not harm her."

"No, I will not," the alicorn reassured as the apple floated carefully to the floor, where it sprung legs and scuttled toward the filly.

o/`"blackened spider apple
crawling through the black!
Gnaw on its legs, stopping its attack!
Poison your nectar, savoring the taste,
Never let a spider apple ever go to waste." o/`

The little one giggled and moaned, falling on the apple. "Uooohhahaannkuhah~!"

"We were locked here by that evil whip. Little Sweet Pea said she could touch it, but I could not let her, no matter what. Its magic grips the heart and the brain, and she would forget me."

"Ahnoooanoghna~!!" the little creature stumbled back to her father and slumped at his leg.

"You have freed us," he continued. "But the living world has no interest in our kind. You are not one of those."

"I have walked Tarterus alone," Lapis admitted, "and I have stood on either side of the Gates. Cerberus knows me by scent and lets me walk past without another glance. I am the very Shadow of the Moon, Lapis Umbral, ruler of Absolute Night and future KING of Equestria. My sisters would hunt your kind to extinction if they knew you were here."

"I will speak the only language they know against me," the lich growled, stomping a hoof in the dirt. A deep portal swirled open, not shaking the walls or moving dust from the ceiling. The crack widened, and a torrent of bones poured out, scattered at their feet like defeated foes. "Against me, they only know battle," he stomped again, and the bones formed four standing pony skeletons. "And they will join my side, soon enough."

"Have you a name?"

"It is long forgotten."

"I dub you 'Ichor' for the green of your remaining coat. You have safe haven in this valley, but you would be much safer in the abandoned mine near here. I give you amnesty, you give me your army. Such is the way of things in Tarterus?"

Ichor knelt before Umbral. "My army is your army, these creatures follow your order." Sweet Pea babbled up at her father. Ichor’s face moved slightly, a shadow of a shadow of a smile."And she already calls you 'uncle'."

"Before you leave here, or perhaps just 'on your way out', have the troops strip out the iron and osmium. The abandoned mine is not far from here."

-----------------------------------------------------

Princess Celestia had caught up with much of her mundane tasks since the Ceremonies and the party, eagerly awaiting the arrival of her generals and her two best smiths. Word had already arrived from Princess Cadance that with so many ponies going to the Empire that there might be call for supplies and actual militia backup. The Sun Princess worried that the gesture would once again set Equestria grumbling about it, so perhaps a compromise could be struck.

Her smile proud as Flank Attack and Thunder Arrow arrived first, shortly followed by Golden Silver and Iron Forge. Gallant Lionheart strode in a couple of minutes late, but the meeting itself was not pressing. Luna had left this duty to her sister and was likely already asleep. Gallant Lionheart looked like he wished he was doing the same.

"Now that the railroad crew is on its way to the Crystal Empire, I have received roster estimates from Shining Armor and Princess Cadance. The team has nearly two hundred volunteers, not just those who had tried out for the militias. There are questions and concerns when it comes to such a large 'civilian' group, so I chose to speak to you five directly."

"Even if the washouts aren't formal soldiers, I don't recall too many that couldn't be trusted completely," Flank Attack began. "Then again, there are some still in the militia....." he reined that thought in quickly. "Issues should be minimal."

Thunder Arrow quickly changed the subject, understanding his contemporary's issue. "I heard you had Rainbow Dash sent out there along with some Academy stallions. I thought your weather expert up there would be enough."

"Her weather skills are very polished and she will take the lead for the weather team with Snowcatcher. They might not get along, but they can get the job done."

"How do we figure into this equation?" Golden Silver queried. "We're not military ponies, we just outfit them."

Celestia levitated several scrolls to the two smithys. "We've had many artisans donate their time to design armors for the Crystal Empire militia. The bardings will be easy enough to manufacture, but I have a very specific request."

"Anything for the good of Equestria," Golden Silver beamed.

"There's a craftspony there named Malachite Braid who does amazing work, and I'd like the Empire's soldiers to have some of the inherent magic of the locale incorporated. Her insights would be useful in the designs and enchantments, which I know you can duplicate in your sleep." She glanced to Iron Forge, who scrutinized some of the designs. "Are you interested?"

The black earth pony pulled his hooves from the scrolls and nodded to his partner. "Golden Silver will be adequate for the needs of the Crystal Empire. I have no desire to travel there at this time." This surprised Golden Silver as much as it did Celestia.

"You don't want to go?"

"Apologies if this is not your plan, Princess Celestia. I will go if ordered."

Golden Silver nervously smiled. "But.... Forge, we'll need your strength in the fashioning of armors..."

"This is all 'finesse' work," he snorted. "Forgive my bluntness, Princess, but I need to remain here to continue working with the apprentices."

"I understand," she replied with a hint of disappointment. "If you change your mind, I can make the necessary arrangements."

"And the night guards?" Gallant Lionheart yawned.

"A lot of the Phalanx dropouts are still on night schedules. I know your team is small, but perhaps a couple of them would like to go there and help survey and protect?"

"I'm afraid," he said tiredly, "that because of our small numbers it would be best to remain in Canterlot. Princess Luna might agree were she awake." This darkened the mood. "We still are sorting out who works where in the castle, I cannot respectfully commit troops to this endeavor until we have our own consistency and continuity."

"I... see," Celestia finally responded with resignation. "Though this will minimize questions from outside Canterlot and the Empire. We're still getting too much attention about 'escalating'...."

"Couldn't we just use the word 'expansion'?" Thunder Arrow queried.

"No, it's still too confrontational. But perhaps there's wisdom in not sending troops. Maybe now things will quiet down again."

----------------------------------------------------

Slurry met Strife at the base of Drakengard. "Took your sweet time getting back."

"I had to take alternate routes if Canterlot is looking for me."

Despite the lack of humor in her voice, the muddy colored pegasus relaxed. "I'm half-joking. I'm just sick and tired of listening to Morning Star whine that Lapis is taking too long to teach her anything. Guess 'patience' wasn't on the list, either."

"So you're not a fan of her either."

"I get it that YOU don't like her," Slurry snapped, "but I've heard some of your 'talk' - what do you have against pegasi controlling the weather? It's not 'magic', it's an ability we have."

"It's still the imposing of will on nature itself," he protested, "and a pegasus ego needs routine deflating."

"Ego? I don't flaunt what I can do, I know what I can do. I certainly don't flaunt the looks-" she uneasily opened a wing - "but I'll give it to you for every feathering unicorn who was bored or arrogant enough to use me as a magical practice dummy."

"I had known that wasn't your natural look. Why did you let them do this?"

"I didn't 'let' anyone do this to me. Just arrogant unicorns showing off their abilities and scaring the townsponies by zapping the stranger as a 'warning' if they get out of line."

"Every town?"

"Well, no...." Slurry looked away. "but it was either 'let's make her look weirder' or 'I can't fix that'."

"So unicorns thought you nothing but a plaything." Slurry rolled her eyes.

"They were too busy ga-gaaing over me to realize that I'm actually very good at my job. You know that old saying, 'hate the weather? give it five minutes and it'll change!'? That's what I could do, drop a storm anywhere, any time, as needed, and make it disappear just as fast. Unfortunately, the only 'talent' a male unicorn looks at....."

"They were too busy looking at you."

The pegasus sighed. "Same story over and over.... once I graduated from Academy with honors, I went to various larger villages to get more experience before I walked into a City weather job. The unicorns would warmly welcome me, thinking with their OTHER horn at first..... some did it as humiliation, some did it as demonstration, the last one can still hear the town square's bell ringing in his ears when he was done. Once Lapis takes over Equestria I'm going to find every last one of those villages and throw a tornado or two through them, see how THEY liked ruining a life."

"But you said nothing, and did nothing at the time?"

"Oh, I reported it," she snarked, "I'd never hear back, because by the time it got to anyone important it was 'she's blowing all this out of proportion' and 'let the village deal with their idiot leader....'"

Strife nodded curtly. "Nothing more than the unicorns' one true talent, bureaucracy."

"So you're not keen about what I can do for a living.... what would you suggest? Most ponies aren't keen on drought and flooding if we can stop it."

"There's the issue - you don't have to! Look no further than the Everfree Forest. The whole of Equestria sees it as a creepy and terrible place. But I - as well as Spellbreak in general - see it as a holy ground, a perfect example of what this earth is capable of without interference. That's what unicorns and pegasi are so blissfully ignorant of because they are not close to the earth as my race and I are! You make your own clouds for Equestria but the Everfree makes its own! The unicorns and alicorns shape the land as they see fit but the Everfree can do it by itself! I'm even convinced the Sun and Moon have a mind of their own without being thrown around by those... Princesses," the last word spat out of his mouth. "The whole of Equestria cries out because of this manipulation, yet neither the pegasi or the unicorns can hear it!"

"Blah blah blah, you didn't answer my question. Besides, if the planet is so upset wouldn't it rebel a little harder?"

"I should ask YOU the same question. Why didn’t you rebel harder against the unicorns who did this to you? Or were you not upset enough?" Slurry looked away. "But the planet keeps trying to speak! Volcanoes, earthquakes, disease - these are signs that the planet wants equal voice!"

"Okay, so the pegasi stop controlling the weather. Now you have thousands of unemployed pegasi."

"You could all sign up for militia duty, courier service, and explorers."

Slurry blinked in surprise at the answer. "So you don't want to string up the pegasi and cut all their wings off."

"No... and yet...." he trembled, mostly in anger. "Wings that now adorn Twilight Sparkle's back, only showing once again that unicorns wish to take over by making each other more powerful. No one with Spellbreak was pleased at this news."

"Now you're sounding like Lapis. Hopefully whatever magic-cancelling stuff you brought works on her, because if she can teleport out, this would all be for nothing."

"What I have brought is more than adequate. And Lapis Umbral wishes he hated her as much as I do."

"How do you figure?"

Strife continued to tremble with unkepmt rage. "It's .. personal. We have clashed in the past. I'll say no more. We both have our horror stories of our pasts, but yet you are still here with this alicorn?"

"Lapis promised me that he would undo all these curses, but he's so wrapped up in his takeover it's likely on the back burner. At least I have work out here - fog, storms, snow and ice for the frostforges. I don't pay for food or a roof over my head, but it's a living."

"Yet he baits you with this potential cure. You've been down his road before."

"He's gotten me a temporary solution, but at some point I just want to be 'me' again." Slurry sighed and shook her head. "Come on, I'm sure Lapis is ready to speak to you about your trip."

As Strife rode up to the entranceway to Drakengard, he surveyed the open valley, and glared up at the artificial storms. A second glance through the valley locked on activity in one of the mines. He couldn't see clearly, but he saw several gaunt ponies hauling ore out of a freshly dug mine. He chose not to ask Slurry, but this would give him more reason to get word back to Spellbreak....


---------------------------------------------------

"Bwooosh! Splat!! Take that, you ruffians! No, no, not the Lemon Meringue..."

Tiny pony toys battled to and fro before the amused Discord, as he provided his own commentary and sound effects. "'We shall never surrender! What say you?' 'Our bakers will double the sugar to see your kingdom fall!'" he argued with himself as more tiny pies launched back and forth. The tiny soldiers held the draconequus' attention since he had nothing better to do, since "causing chaos" wasn't permitted. Pestering the princesses also verboten, and his toys were indeed nothing but toys. It was a lovely game, better than solitaire, but less fun than what makes a Discord tick.

"And still you play," a mare's voice interrupted the battle as a dark blue hoof split the battlefield. The toy soldiers took several steps back, watching in horror as their pies splashed across the giant's foreleg. Discord himself, however, remained unfazed at Princess Luna's arrival. Aqua eyes glanced only a moment at the splattering of meringue, simply magicking it all off for an afternoon snack. "Still toying with ponies for your amusement," she remarked.

"Incorrect! These are toys that I am permitted to play with, something about the rules....." a scroll materialized, unrolling over the soldiers and down the hall, nearly tripping a guard. "I forget what rule it was.... #42? #86? #1,004?" He made a show of it, donning bifocals to read the list over.

"Somewhere in those rules mentions you reporting regularly to myself or to Princess Celestia," Luna commanded. "You have missed two check-ins in the last five days. Should I be concerned?"

Discord peered over the bifocals and the list of rules. "Was I? Oh dear, one loses track of time in their boredom......" he raised the unfurled scroll and the soldiers galloped to the end of it to roll the list back together for him. "You know, all this 'behave yourself' business doesn't pass the time nearly as well as the many things I could be doing to - I mean, FOR - Canterlot...."

"You are lucky that Princess Celestia is so compassionate. Were it my decision alone you would already be back in the Royal Gardens. I would have also chosen your pose...."

"You've taken away much of what I like to do to pass the time. No pranks, no games, no magic tricks.... why, if your youngest brother was here, he'd be quite cross with you over all these rules!"

Luna looked away. "Lapis is not here....."

"I miss the little troublemaker," he goaded. "He was so impressed with what I could do for mere amusement... making flowers sing, turning frogs into key lime pie... oh and the cotton candy clouds full of chocolate rain!"

"Enough. You have not answered the question. Where hast thou been hiding in the days since the Ceremonies?"

"I kept an eye on Fluttershy through the ceremonies as you ordered!" his left eye popped free and hovered in her face. Again she looked away. "I did join her for a lovely casual picnic a day or two ago, but other than that....." his body floated up to her face and he placed the wandering eye in its socket. "I've just been hanging around the castle." His serpentine body elongated through the room, hastening the toy soldiers to finish their errand. "Surely you would have something better for a creature of chaos to do than just 'oh, beHAVE....' "

"I have yet to understand my sister's interest in having you around. Perhaps tis your countenance that reminds her of Starswirl from ages past. You act nothing like him."

"StarSwirl WISHES he was this powerful!!" Discord's body snapped back before Luna, bulging with muscles. "Were that silly rumor true, I would likely be following Twilight Sparkle all over Equestria as her bodyguard!" he conjured up a black suit and sunglasses and stood officially before Luna. The Moon Princess remained unmoved by his antics. She ended his display by conjuring a deep puddle under the creature, amused by his unceremonious landing.

"You are a master of Chaos, tis well known," Luna warned. "But until that chaos is truly tamed, you are still not to be completely trusted."

The sopping wet draconequus surfaced, coughing. "Control, control, control...." he rolled his eyes. "BORING! And you wonder why I'd make the castle statues dance, I'm not allowed to touch anything else in the castle!"

"Perhaps you need a proper distraction to understand what considered 'fun' and what is considered 'serious' in Canterlot."

He leapt out of the puddle, zipping it closed on the floor. "Indeed. Perhaps I could LEARN something in your library!" A snap of his fingers and he teleported away.

"THOU SHALL NOT EAT THE ARCHIVES, DISCORD~!!" The Night Alicorn hurried in that direction to make sure.

---------------------------------------------------

"Boss'll be out in a minute."

Sandstone stood outside of the Libram Noctem, doors closed for the moment. Strife shrugged off his saddlebags to wait. "Hopefully he's not angry that it took longer than expected. I was not permitted to keep the gift given me."

"So you don't have the voice in your head no more?"

"No, I do not. Among other things. Small sacrifice since I feared they would disown me for using any sort of magic." Strife nosed open one saddlebag and dragged the shackles out. "These will keep the Princess safe and sound in your dungeons. They're coated with a magic-cancelling agent that affects any magic-using pony."

"So it'd hurt unicorns an alicorns, but not a pegasus or an earth pony?"

"They are not designed to hurt those who crafted it. The shackles respect those who respect the ground beneath their feet."

"You make it sound like Boss don't..."

"I work for him much as you do," Strife explained evenly. "But he is well above the common struggle. What work do you do for him, exactly? Are you a leader under him?"

"He wants me to be guardcaptain when we get Canterlot, does that count?"

"No, because you're not a guardcaptain now. Why is that?"

"Violet Force and Silver Shimmer's got tenure....."

"Because they're pegasi?"

"No, because they - "

"Because you LET them. Then again, you also allow your strength to be augmented with that dark armor and...." only now did Strife notice the collar - "that. What exactly does 'that' do for you?"

"It makes sure I don't get scared when I'm fightin," Sandstone replied with a touch of shame. "I'm strong, but fightin isn't what I like doin. I liked workin in the mines for boss, findin stuff that he needs...."

"No more than a slave, then," Strife interrupted. "Wearing a fancy jewelled collar as your chain."

"No, I WANT to work in the mines. Beats takin random work from town to town."

"You have no aspirations to lead?"

"Not til Boss gets Canterlot. Never lead nothin before, so I gotta learn."

The doors to the Libram Noctem opened, stifling Strife's next complaint. Lapis emerged first, Morning Star trailing behind. Strife didn't miss the exasperated expression of the white unicorn as Umbral addressed Strife directly. "What did Spellbreak say to my offer? I could not contact you for several days."

"A condition to even discuss the matter," Strife explained once more. "The Voice of the Mind has been removed. Communications must be done more conventionally, with messenger birds."

Lapis tried not to show frustration. "So again, what did they say?"

"They are considering your offer, and allowed me to keep the weapon. They identified it to a hunter from over a century ago. There might have been a Spellbreak outpost in this area at one time, but Hollow Shades appears to be the only remaining fortification."

The Shadow of the Moon looked suspiciously at the shackles. "And these will tame even an alicorn's magic?"

"It has the same magic as the whip, so yes. I would suggest that you not touch the leg irons with hoof or magic."

"Can they be handled by a non-earth pony?" Lapis refused to touch them after his encounter with the enchanted whip.

"With minimal damage, a pegasus can also manipulate them. It's unicorns and alicorns that cannot handle these."

Umbral nodded. "Very well. You and Sandstone take these down to the dungeons, I have a place especially carved out for our soon to arrive 'guest'. Strife, you may wish to find yourself a messenger bird to ask that they begin their assembly if they are assisting us."

Morning Star followed Umbral as they stepped away from the library. "Or is it too long a walk?" she verbally jabbed as she passed the dark green earth pony.

Strife refused to grace that with a rebuttal. He gathered the shackles and made sure to brush against her as he brusquely hurried to the dungeons. Her shuddering cries of pain enough for his ears.

-------------------------------------------------

Hot Head circled Canterlot one last time on his afternoon shift. He'd had more than enough desk duty to last him a while, no matter how much it helps Lapis' cause! Looping around the spires, he could peek into the windows where he saw Princess Celestia talking to her sister, guard shifts changing out, and the locals going about their business. He couldn't wait for the day Lapis would return to take his rightful place! The thought of battle sped his flight, scenarios continuing to conjure through his imagination. Maybe he'd finally get a hoof on Thunder Arrow? Better yet, two hooves on Flank Attack's stone face! "And even then," the little pegasus grumbled, "he couldn't even crack a smile."

His perch had two Phalanx soldiers awaiting him as he swept past. He recognized Gallant Lionheart immediately, but the pegasus with him wasn't Emerald Charm this time. This one was leaner, a little younger. They all otherwise looked alike, except for male to female. A signal from the captain summoned Hot Head back to his roost, saluting the pair.

"Dreamcarver will be your relief tonight, Hot Head," Gallant Lionheart announced. "You'll walk with me once he is on his way."

The two pegasi locked stares briefly before the Phalanx soldier winged into the rapidly approaching night, The captain appraised the departure before facing the small guard.

"So whatcha want?" Hot head blustered. "Gonna get Thunder Arrow or Flank Attack to reprimand me for something stupid?"

"Have you done something to make me do so?"

"Not yet," he sneered.

"I am not your actual superior, so no. But you'll be seeing more of me as the days grow shorter."

~~So what's the word?~~

Gallant Lionheart startled at Hot Head's voice in his mind. ~~Soon enough, is all I can tell you. Rest.~~

~~Can't wait for the fireworks~~ The little pegasus winged off to quarters.

~~Dare I repeat caution to you in using this gift?~~ Umbral chided them both. ~~Somepony may yet hear you.~~

The connection closed abruptly. Lionheart shook his head and began his evening patrol.

-----------------------------------------------

Umbral's frustration only mounted with the haphazard use of his gifts and Strife - well, being Strife. Morning Star's flank wound could only be soothed with a physical balm, as magic healing only made the burn sear and glow brighter. It would interfere with her concentration and shortened his patience. He was thankful that her injury was not serious and that she could still walk. Night Ash assisted Morning Star in preparing the balm for it while he dealt with his over-reacting pegasi.

Cloud Slayer and Hatchet ordered around the "skeleton crew" Ichor was providing, demanding them to keep bringing things from the mine. Cloud Slayer rummaged through everything while Hatchet inspected the ores. He recognized the iron immediately, but flew into his own mad histrionics when he smelled the traces of osmium within. Tackling the alicorn when he entered the forge, the force of the impact sent the pair into the line of boneponies, knocking several apart.

"BOSS!! THERE'S OSMIUM IN THAT ORE!! THAT STUFF IS RARER THAN RARE! WHERE'D YA FIND IT! MORE!! GONNA NEED ALL YA GOT-" The red and gray pegasus silenced as he was magically thrown back into the forges.

"Yes I KNOW there's osmium in the ore," Lapis' impatient response. "That's why I'm having it delivered directly. Do you have the facilities to safely work it? I need new armor."

"What's so dangerous about it - besides that it smells like dead timberwolf...." Cloud Slayer backwinged, looking to the smithy.

"Ya can't just forge it," Hatchet explained as he shook himself out. "I gotta work with it like a powder, like I did with the moonstones."

"Precisely, Hatchet. The iron and osmium will work well together when powdered, sponged, and probably flash-forged for proper melding."

"Flash-forging?" The dark pegasus looked back to the forges. "Gonna need a couple of days just to make the iron 'sponge'. Might need to make a custom hammer for the powder... and a split-bath for part of the flash-forging.... and a little lightning for the sintering..." the pegasus lost himself in a cloud of preparations.

"Get what you need, use what you have, including-" Lapis leaned in very close - "Your imagination."

Hatchet's ponderings melted into a sinister, twisted grin that Umbral only dreamed of emulating. "Three days, boss, and it's yours, starting - now!" He leapt out the window to purchase supplies. Cloud Slayer wasn't far behind.

"He wasn't spooked by the skeleton ponies?" Morning Star queried.

"He would accept gifts from a hungry dragon. Now come, we have some work of our own to do."