• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 391 Views, 11 Comments

War of the Moon (or Thanks MA Larson for the inspiration - WildmoonNH



Story takes place after Season 3. Not everyone was happy that Twilight became an alicorn...

  • ...
4
 11
 391

Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"Princess Cadance, Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash should have left the Crystal Empire at sunrise," Luna announced to her sister. "They are now very aware of what has happened."

Celestia nodded. "I sent word to Spike to have Twilight's friends bring the Elements to Canterlot. It seems the 'dream storm' you encountered first is more than a threat."

"Nothing that a pie or two to his muzzle couldn't fix," Cepheid grumbled. "Too much ado about that brat."

"His anger triggered my anger, Cepheid. I've apologized enough for my outburst."

"Nah, you're just antsy because you got your soldiers back." This calmed the three alicorns briefly.

"I've investigated the 'voices' that Count Solaris had been hearing," Celestia continued. "He caught only traces of conversation, though sometimes he would hear a stallion's voice trying to quiet the others. Whomever is using this gift is well aware it's still not a private conversation."

"Tis not a simple spell, though once learned it is easily given."

"It was removed from the magic curriculums decades ago to discourage cheating. So either it's a spell recently re-discovered or Lapis is using it to spy."

'That would explain why he thought I was still in prison," Cepheid rolled his eyes. "I thought the picture would be enough to shut him up. He's being stubborn."

'That is one thing," Celestia admitted, "I think we all are." Celestia then magicked up two scrolls. "I've compared the information Aurora gave me with the reports from Hazard Watch and Shadow Tracker. The 'rare rose' that Aurora brought was a Midnight Rose, something that requires extensive spell proficiency and research. Strange that Lapis would repeat a trick so soon after trying it once."

"He's done this before?"

"He did so to me, Cepheid. Through a former student of mine, Morning Star."

"How DARE he!" Luna bristled. "There was no need -"

"He did," Celestia responded with a quiet smile, "because he wanted me to see you come home."

Luna froze in her next protest, the faint memory from her return as Nightmare Moon only confirming such. "Then he is not completely lost to us."

"He's not, but he's too stubborn to admit that out loud." Cepheid simply shook his head thinking about his brother before speaking again. "What will you do about Aurora? By her own admission she gave the Midnight Rose to Twilight. At best she is in contact with Lapis and participated unwittingly. At worst, she has done so knowingly."

Celestia sighed. "Aurora and Morning Star were good friends in the past, I had thought they lost touch. It seems some of what she said was correct. Perhaps I have lost touch with my other students."

"Can't dwell on it, Tia. We got a bigger storm brewing."

"Luna, please instruct the guardcaptains. I need to tend to my classes briefly."

----------------------------------

The westbound Spellbreak caravan had only traveled a few miles in the two days since the group split into two teams. Belmonte's patience wore thinner and thinner with the frequent stops, many at Silverback's behest, but soon Belmonte would only take that order from Salvino. The words from their leader weaker and weaker with each stop, Silverback's concern only growing as they once again huddled in a copse as Salvino was fed and treated with Lyrium potions.

"We could have been there by now," Belmonte groused as he tromped back to the others. "There is nothing for the rest of the journey, why do we once again have to hesitate?"

"You're an eager one, Belmonte," Salvino replied for the rest of the camp. "No, I agree, this is taking too long. But I don't wish to be taxed further until we reach Canterlot proper."

"'Taxed'? No disrespect, but any slower and we may as well walk backward."

"No disrespect taken." Salvino's tone told otherwise. "All will be much clearer once we are in Canterlot. Concern yourself more with the safe arrival of our troops. My well-being remains with the rest of you."

Silverback sat himself next to the Spellbreak leader. "'Well-being'? I don't think any of us understand this statement."

"I will see this war through, Silverback. That is all any of you need to know."

----------------------------------

It was Umbral's turn to back somepony against the wall - Hatchet's recklessness had finally crossed a very sensitive line. The image of his own horn threatening Desert Sun burned deep in his mind's eye, a sight he wanted to erase from more than one pony's memory! There would be repercussions this time, and if the pegasus refused to budge he would be thrown to the wall.

Hatchet, well aware of the danger, backed down from his boss, wings fallen open. "That's not what was s'posed t' happen, boss. Thought you'd have a hoof on - "

"SILENCE!" Lapis roared to the artisan. "You nearly cost me my bride! Did I not rattle your brain hard enough? You had to know the danger of this."

"Yeah, but -"

"NO 'buts' this time." Lapis' steady advancing pushed Hatchet against the fire forge. He grimaced at the increasing heat, but refused to show pain.

"Sorry ain't fixin this-"

"Indeed, not." Lapis magically raised one of Hatchet's wings and stomped it against the forge until feathers could be smelt smoldering. "Punishing you is a quandry, you savor your pain."

"That's why I ain't movin - do yer worst. Break a bone, rip my ears, split a hoof - let me have it."

"You'll 'have' nothing of the sort." Lapis' horn flashed again, the Fear necklace disappearing from around Hatchet's neck. "I give generously, a lesson taught to me long ago. It seems I have been too generous to you."

Hatchet flinched as the necklace vanished. He flinched again as the silver collar traced itself around Lapis' neck in slow motion. "You are gifted in your craft and know cruelty too well to be punished with the conventions of the Phalanx. You would laugh as I stomp your wings on the floor, you lean forward to a physical blow, pull feathers from your own wings just to see if you still feel pain.

"There is one pain that I know hurts anypony with a past. And that is the pain of Memory." Lapis raised a hoof to the Fear gem, watching the pegasus' expression fade from defiant confidence to panic. "Let's see what's in YOUR mind that you fear so much! What is it in your past that makes you so willing to volunteer for punishment? My curiosity will be sated to your peril."

"Boss, you don' wanna do that," Hatchet warned. "I mean, lookit all the damage you did -"

"Oh don't worry, Hatchet. This time I will help you as you 'helped' me." The black hoof slammed into the gem...

----------------------------------

Two different screams raked Twilight's ears from the dungeons. The first scream, definitely a stallion's, chilled her deeply. The second, a mare's pain-wracked cry, pulled hard at her heart. She pulled halfheartedly at her chains, expecting them to finally become bored enough to release her. Amid the angst there was no laughter, no one enjoyed the processes progressing upstairs. If it related to the screams and commands heard previously, perhaps the "war" that the black alicorn wanted may never leave Drakengard. What would that mean for her, then? She'd have to find a way to break the shackles without her magic, escape the spire without being able to fly, and somehow get back to Canterlot or Ponyville without being seen. All such possibilities becoming more and more remote as what little food and water offered her barely sustained her energies, draining her of all the hope she had carried into the morning that Aurora arrived on her doorstep. She sighed and settled herself once more to the ground tracing formulae in the dirt to pass the time.

Heavy hoofsteps startled her from her daze, and she froze as an enormous Phalanx soldier stood just outside her cage. He snorted at her once in brusque warning before settling to his post. Once his back was to her did she even dare to speak.

"What happened up there...?" her timid query. The soldier glared back at her but didn't respond. "Is everypony okay....?" she tried next, and the soldier turned back toward the bars.

"No, not all 'okay'," he snarled. "Hurts. She hurts too. Boss' hurt. An somepony gettin hurt...." a stallion's scream stalled his report. "Hurt him more, boss," he grumbled.

This puzzled Twilight - if they're a team, aren't they all friends at some level? The soldier's satisfaction shifted when the mare screamed again, and he lunged for the stairs. "SUMMER-" he started, then corrected himself. "SLURRY!!" He pawed the ground in frustration before turning back to the cage. "Don' like this at all."

"I'm not really in a position to help...."

"Don' want your help," the sour soldier replied. "Just want this done."

"'This'? as in 'this war'?"

"Don' wanna go to war," he explained. "Boss' idea. But boss said it'll fix everything."

"Well, not 'everything'," Twilight replied with exasperation. "I don't see these getting fixed any time soon." she showed him her bare wings.

"Blame Hatchet," he mumbled. The stallion's scream upstairs began again. "Yeah, boss' takin care of that right now."

"Sounds like he's torturing his own team," she winced when the mare shrieked unexpectedly.

"He won't hurt Summerstorm- I mean Slurry. Won't let him. He's hurtin Hatchet for bein stupid. Hatchet hurt me too. Boss is fixin that."

"'Hatchet'... was that one of the pegasi - "

The soldier nodded. "Him an his girl, an a couple others did that to ya. Sorry about that."

"You're not sorry. You don't talk much like a soldier if you're apologizing."

The stallion lowered his head. "Couldn't help Slurry, she thinks she's ugly.... couldn't help boss, stronger than me.... couldn't help Desert Sun, cuz Hatchet was stupid..... glad little brother's safe."

"You and your little brother would be safer anywhere else in Equestria right now."

"Nope. We'd be roamin and broke. No jobs, no money."

"Did you ever seek work in Canterlot?"

"Canterlot...? Never been."

"You would have been easily selected for the Solar Guard or the Phalanx," she appraised the soldier.

"Doubt I'd be anythin else. Boss wants me to be a guardcaptain when we're done."

"You don't think you'd become guard captain under Princess Celestia or Princess Luna?" The soldier shrugged. "You certainly look strong enough. What else are you good at?"

The soldier had to think more, making his head hurt. "Minin. Haulin. I'm strong, bout all I can do."

"Do you really think you're not smart?"

"'m not. Dusty does all the thinkin for me, I just do all the workin." Another scream from upstairs made the soldier growl.

"I'm not going anywhere, you should be helping her."

"Not with what they're doin. Tryin to get her uncursed. Can't do magic."

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't be there for her."

"She don't want me up there. Done nice stuff for her, she doesn't like it. Keeps tellin me to grow a backbone."

"A good guardcaptain needs one of those."

The big soldier wilted back to his post, each scream from upstairs making him flinch. He sighed and looked back to his prisoner.

"Standing up for something will get you a lot further than just letting others think for you," Twilight explained. "You can't just wait for something to come to you."

"You're makin my head hurt..."

"My everything hurts," Twilight rebutted.

"But Boss promised us --"

"Promised you what?"

A very anguished scream from the mare finally sent him away.

-------------------------------------

"Try .... again...."

"Slurry, it's hurting you too much," Night Ash apologized. "Haven't we had enough injuries before we even go to war?"

"Try.... AGAIN," Slurry snarled as she tried once again to stand.

"We're not getting too far with it," Desert Sun added. "Whatever they did, they've knotted it all together."

"The knot did loosen a little....." Morning Star noted. "but if it gets tightened again we might end up locking all of the curses in place."

Night Ash tapped her necklace to look at the spells again. She could trace the lines up and down Slurry's body, noting each color of magic that placed the curses on the poor pegasus. Somehow the spells were tied together in an almost Gordian knot that they dared not cut, lest the spells find other ways to stay locked in place.

"You're making progress," Slurry panted. "Try again...."

The three unicorns exchanged nervous looks. "I said try again!" Slurry repeated in her exhaustion. "I walked a lot when I broke my wing, this isn't as painful!"

"The knot is very complicated," Night Ash began, but knew that would not convince the pegasus. "We don't want to harm you any further. Please, we should all save our strength for the battle ahead."

"Still stalling...."

"Not at all. I would hope we're friends enough to-"

Sandstone burst into the room with a roar, scattering the other mares. The pegasus, too tired to move, stared defiantly at the angry earth pony. "You're interruping progress," she managed.

"He.... PROMISED!"

"I know. We all know. Glad you actually remembered."

"He... PROMISED!" Sandstone roared again, this time looking to the other three. "Where's boss?"

"Still discussing things with Hatchet," Desert Sun chimed in. "He'll be along."

"He.... PROMISED!!!" Sandstone repeated as he turned to the red and gold mare. Only then did Slurry raise a wing to him.

"HE promised," she corrected the stallion. "Don't take it out on them. And fixing me still isn't a priority, I'm used to that."

"That's not true at all!" Morning Star interrupted. "We're trying to untie somepony elses' spell knots, and he doesn't want to hear anypony scream or cry. You make it sound like -"

"He's been stalling, and I have my proof of that. That's why I keep telling you three to keep trying because HE won't. And as for screaming and crying..." Slurry's gaze turned to the white unicorn. "Your screams and cries started this war."

"I brought Twilight Sparkle here, may I remind you...."

"So since then I've done some screaming and crying and he's not listening. Desert Sun screamed and should be crying because she's lucky to be alive!"

"That's a bit low!"

"Deal with it - you're the one who's gonna be his warm blanket when he leaves the rest of us out in the cold!" Slurry scooped up her necklace with a wing and shrugged it on. "Guess I'll go suit up so I don't have to look like THIS for a while."

"But boss-"

"As for YOU," She snapped to Sandstone as she took her leave, "You abandoned your post. Go explain that to 'Boss'. In fact, I DARE you."

--------------------------------------------

Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns never had attendance or application issues. Hundreds of unicorns all over Equestria apply, with a precious few getting the privilege of such specialized training. Princess Celestia and a few of the most talented spellcasters of previous classes continue a strong tradition of producing quality spellcasters, all who have contributed to the future of Equestria. Celestia herself was proud of every one of her students, regardless of what they did once they left her care. Many still wrote her, thanking her for her gentle hoof and keen eye.

It was only today that it struck her how classes had been dropping. She said nothing as she walked the halls with Aurora, who also remained silent. The Sun Princess saw a deep sadness in the young mare's eyes, a sadness mixed with frustration and... anger? Celestia had seen this look too many times in recent years, from expelling a boisterous filly who claimed she already outshone the entire school to the near-banishment of another for breaking into a guarded section of the Royal Library. Several others had withdrawn from the classes, few explaining themselves. Morning Star, a more recent departure, had shown defiance and complained that she had been "Held back" in her studies. Similar words now came from Aurora.

"Are you sure you wish to return to class?" Celestia finally asked the pink unicorn. "I know you have been through a very troubling ordeal......"

"I have to," she replied. "I'm too close to graduation. Too much time and money are invested in my future for me to walk away now."

Those were not the reasons Celestia really wanted to hear, but it would have to do. "I'm thankful you are returning, Aurora. I would hope that you wanted to come back to classes because of your achievements so far." Aurora simply looked away.

The other unicorns were already at their desks as Celestia and Aurora entered. Aurora looked to her remaining classmates, as glances of sympathy greeted her and space made in front for her to sit. Celestia watched as Aurora took her place, exchanging whispers of gratitude to everypony else. She shifted uncomfortably, knowing that all eyes were on her.

"I am sure that all of you have questions for Aurora, but please save those for after class today, which I promise will be a very short one." This drew attention away from the pink unicorn, as each student dutifully placed a blank scroll on their desks and magicked up their quills. "Some things have been brought to my attention because of recent events, and I think that I need to speak quickly about it.

"Many of you are planning a future as a spellcaster, a teacher, a leader. You all have enormous potential that I can only guide you to realize. Perhaps some of you are aiming toward near-impossible goals, reaching so far ahead that any stumbling block can look like a mountain of failures in your way. I am not here to see anypony fail; quite the contrary.

"What I will be asking from each of you is one thousand words, to be turned in personally to my quarters, about your goals and dreams. What can I do to help you get there? What can you do to show me you can get there? And if you haven't a goal, what can I do to help you find where you truly belong?"

Several students started writing immediately. "I would like you to be prepared to read this out loud to me, and I want every word to be nothing but the truth. This is not an exercise in pleasing me; this is a chance to create a clearer vision of where all of you WANT to be. I cannot, and will not, read your minds to get this answer, since it is an answer from the heart that I request. You're welcome to stay here and complete the assignment, but that is the only lesson for today." She nodded to the class before taking her leave.

As she stepped out the door, she did hear a whisper from one of the students to another.... "How you expand 'What do I have to do to get as much attention as Twilight Sparkle did' into a thousand words?"

--------------------------------------------

"With all due respect, Princess Luna, how do we even know there is a war if he did not respond to you?"

"Do not question this, Thunder Arrow. I know my brother more than you think."

Luna sat alone with the guardcaptains as Celestia tended to her students. Flank Attack, Thunder Arrow and a slightly sleepy Gallant Lionheart had her full attention. "Tis not a matter of 'if', but 'when'. We have no information of his troop compliment. We have some information of where his base of operations could be, yet he knows us too well. This must be addressed, and quickly."

"Why should we change for him?" Flank attack grumbled. "We have nearly 200 soldiers between the Solars and the Lunars, we would have seen or heard something by now if he even had half this under his watch. You can't hide a fully-trained militia."

"Many think that an alicorn cannot hide, either," Luna replied to the room distantly.

"Since we have a guess where his base of operations are, can't we just send a team there to rescue Princess Twilight? I'm sure her friends, and a few soldiers, would be plenty to take care of whatever your brother has."

"Underestimating an alicorn is a dangerous business, Thunder Arrow. I welcome your casual approach to most things, but this could be the most important battle we have faced since the Changelings. This time we must be prepared!"

"Keeping some of the Phalanx working day hours weakens what forces we have, Princess Luna."

"They do as I order, as will you, Lionheart. I have limited these actions to specific individuals within your ranks so that the others may rest. Yes, two are awake now, but not at MY orders....."

"They're continuing an investigation that Princess Celestia needed further information," Lionheart continued with a yawn. "Hazard Watch and Shadow Tracker will need to sleep sometime. I hope Dreamcarver assisted you well."

"Dreamcarver assisted in helping gather our forces. He has been recognized for his efforts. We will have more than the Solar Guard and the Phalanx awaiting the arrival of my brother and whatever he chooses to bring."

--------------------------------------------

Malachite Braid and Golden Silver jelled quickly with their work. The two artisans understood form and function in its own harmonious way - Golden Silver knew his armor, Malachite Braid knew sizing and maneuverability when it came to such an elaborate uniform. The unicorn was so impressed with his co-designer's eye for functionality he gathered a second parchment for her use.

"More designs?" She queried. "I thought we had the Amethystine armor formula complete and a rough design to hammer out."

"Work will begin soon enough," Golden Silver assured her, "But the greens of your coat inspire me further. A second armor, with emerald to calm the mind and your signature malachite for - "

"I'll stop you right there," She stepped up to her imaginative ally. "Malachite is meant for protecting travelers and children, not soldiers. Might I recommend green Sardonyx instead? That's better known for protection and power."

"Perhaps both problems solved with Green and Purple Fluorite?" A third voice chimed into the conversation.

The pair turned to the entranceway, a bright red earth pony with a red heart-shaped jewel on her flank. "Fire Ruby!?" Malachite exclaimed. "I wasn't expecting you back for a while."

"I was originally back in the area for the railroad project, but when I heard that a revered smith had traveled up here I couldn't resist looking into it."

"You know this mare? I'm sure we've met...."

The red mare knelt to him. "Golden Silver, your work is renowned throughout Equestria. I'm merely an artisan in training, and took time to study gemstones for their properties. Would there be time to get more Fluorite in pure purples and greens to powder with the emerald and Amethyst?"

"Genius!" Golden Silver answered. "Milady Ruby, please ask the local suppliers of whatever they can spare. Tell them the Crystal Empire's future depends upon it."

"Tell them I sent you," Malachite Braid added. "And price will be negotiated when Princess Cadance returns."

Fire Ruby nodded and hurried out the door- especially before Golden Silver recognized her.

----------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash was on a train, but she still hated waiting for it. Snowcatcher had calmed the wind and snow to pick up the train's pace, but still too slow for the multicolored pegasus. Shining Armor felt almost as restless, having to merely sit and wait for the train to get him to Canterlot. When he saw Twily again, he thought, he was going to make her teach him teleportation magic!

Cadance glanced back and forth between her husband and friend, the tension burdening her. She thought to cast her signature spell but would that really calm either down? This was a deep bond between friends, a brother and a sister. She'd known Twilight longer than Dash and used their time together to formulate how she would one day marry Shining Armor. Now the couple knew they had to repay Twilight for their happiness.

Dash fretted and fumed, trying not to fly around the train car. Yeah, Twilight was an alicorn, but she didn't know anything about fighting. She was "egghead" enough to figure out traps and puzzles, but in a hoof-to-hoof confrontation, Twilight's limited flight ability would leave her at a huge disadvantage. Twilight's magic is strong but if she mis-casts, it could be a disaster for both sides.

"Are we there yet!?" Dash uselessly blurted out, startling the couple.

"We're barely out of the frozen wastes," Shining Armor's irritated response. "The train can only go so fast."

"It NEEDS to go FASTER!" Dash's wings flared for emphasis. "Your sister and my friend are in danger, we can't be sightseeing! It's a straight shot south to Canterlot from the Empire, why wasn't a railway built there, anyhow?"

"What little research I could do," Cadance replied for her husband, "The line was originally designed for stops in Vanhoover, Seaddle, and Tall Tale. Directly south there's a lot of river to build around and over. We had to accommodate for the other cities."

"But this is an emergency! We need to go faster!"

"There's only so much that Captain Steamer can do to keep the train moving," Cadance retorted. "Pestering All Aboard isn't going to make this trip any shorter."

"Yeah? Well I got two ways to get to Canterlot a LOT faster!" She went airborne and hovered next to Cadance. "You should be doing the same," Dash goaded as she poked at the Crystal Princess' wngs.

"We need to save our strength for if - and when - there's a battle. I think Princess Luna was pretty clear- "

And so was Rainbow Dash with an abrupt, multicolored exit.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight startled once again at shadows flowing around in the caverns by her cell. She expected another tirade from Umbral, more "Unworthy" this and "history" that. How could one pony hold so much hate for so long? Her transformation apparently was the one straw that broke an alicorn's back. She shivered as the shadow slid down a wall and under the bars into her cell, reforming before her in a blossom of silvery stars.

It wasn't Umbral this time.

Morning Star stood proudly over the pensive princess, he coat glittering in the faded light of the caverns. "Expecting somepony else?" she leered. "He's too busy to talk to you, but I have a few minutes...."

"Not sure I even want to hear what you have to say....."

"Oh, you'll listen, Twilight Suck-up - this is for every time Princess Celestia praised you and ignored us, for every project she gave you and nopony else in the class! This is for being so far under Princess Celestia's wing you knew how many feathers surrounded you!"

Twilight bit back the exact number, knowing she'd be interrupted anyway.

"Your teacher - certainly no longer mine- thought the world, the sun and moon of you. Aurora had the higher scores, I had Ponydectorian sewed up before YOU came along!"

"You could have said something....."

"You were blinded by your books while Celestia was blinded by YOU!" Morning Star nearly shouted in Twilight's face. "There were students in there that could outwrite, outperform and out-everything-else you did in that school short of your botched entrance exam but no, YOU were the only thing that mattered. Maybe a 'rebound' pony after Sunset Shimmer was expelled?"

"You would have been expelled too if you broke into another section of the library...."

"So I found a teacher who didn't hide such magic! Lapis has taught me more in the last three years than I learned in all my time under Celestia! So now I get to earn MY wings."

"So what makes you 'worthy' of that?" Twilight queried dryly. "Apparently the only alicorns are his so-called 'family'."

"What's left of your wings might need a new home. And I know Master Lapis will do the same for Desert Sun."

"Alicorns aren't just 'made'....."

"Then what was YOUR excuse?"

"I saved Equestria, more than once - "

"Oh, then you have your five underlings. They helped you, so why didn't THEY get the prizes?"

"Because they're not students under Princess Celestia!"

"Yes. And you're the ONLY one. So I moved on to a teacher who actually wanted to teach me." Morning Star turned away from Twilight to dive into the shadows anew. "Farewell, 'Princess'."