• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 391 Views, 11 Comments

War of the Moon (or Thanks MA Larson for the inspiration - WildmoonNH



Story takes place after Season 3. Not everyone was happy that Twilight became an alicorn...

  • ...
4
 11
 391

Chapter 21


Chapter 21

Spike huddled in the empty library, wondering about Twilight. No word from Canterlot, but encouragement from her friends- well, his friends, too. He knew the investigation would take time, but even a brief message from Princess Celestia would be welcome. Rarity and Pinkie visited regularly, the unicorn offering encouragement while Pinkie brought gem-encrusted sweets. Nice enough, but they could not stay.

He tidied up what he could and prepared to settle in for the night. Owlowlicious stoically remained at his post, unconcerned and unmoving. "You better hope she comes home," he whispered, "or I should just let you out and not let you back inside."

The owl didn't respond to his words; shifting in his perch, he looked out the window to another crisp evening. "Yeah, Princess Luna can't be too worried if she can still put together a night like this...." he yawned and crawled into his basket. "Hope I hear something in the morning...."

His rest not peaceful, Twilight still heavy on his mind......

--------------------------------------

Twilight's dreams only added to the gloom of her predicament. She knew it was a dream, even if it felt all the more real with the lead weights on her hooves and a stone brace on her wings.

The world around her no longer just a solitary dungeon but a bleak, moonless plain, only a few stars to be seen. Her labored motion could only bring her a few feet at a time in any direction. She could hear things around her, even if she couldn't see them.

Voices. Hoofsteps. Wings. Casting of magic. Not a wall around her but the sounds echoed. She looked all around to find the source of the sounds, but she could see nothing. Barely able to make out her own hooves or her restraints, she took another heavy step forward, not even sure if that gesture would help.

The oppressiveness of the sounds added weight to her restraints. Angry arguments, heaving sobs, malicious laughter, solemn commentary assaulting her senses even more so. "Where am I??" she finally pleaded. "Who is out there! Anypony.....?"

"Quiet, you feathering brat!" A stallion's voice chided, "No one wants to see what you can do!"

A filly's voice pierced from another direction. "Papa!! Papa! What happened to Papa?! Why isn't he getting up?!"

Another stallion's voice from a third direction. "This is all I can do for you. It cannot be undone."

"Why can't it be undone?!" Another mare demanded. "What will it take? You're lying to me, aren't you?"

"My eyes are not closed! Why can't I see who comes and goes?" wept a zebra mare's voice from yet another direction.

Twilight shivered. Despair and anger all around her, unfamiliar voices filled with rage or despondency. "I can help!" She cried out. "Follow my voice!"

"There is so much more that I can do...." Morning Star's voice softly added to the din.

"I can only reach out," Princess Celestia's voice mechanically added. Twilight tried to focus on that voice.

"Princess Celestia!! I'm alive! I'm here!! Please, save me from this monster!!"

The winds around her picked up suddenly, staggering her and silencing all of the voices around her. A flash of light blinded her; lightning from a single cloud that dissipated, allowing a chariot to swoop down through the darkness. Twilight thought she recognized the silhouettes - a black chariot, two bat-winged pegasi pulling it through the skies with abandon.

"Princess Luna....?" she breathed as the chariot pulled up next to her.

"Far from it," The cloaked figure replied.

Another flash of lightning, and Twilight beheld the driver - another alicorn? She saw black and red under steel barding. Blood-stained, leathery wings snapped open, the horn glimmering in the flashes of lightning. A stallion, she guessed by his build. A glimpse to the others showed a male and female Phalanx soldier pulling the chariot. They cared not about Twilight, shouldering off their yokes to stand with their master.

"Princess Luna ain't comin for ya," the cloaked figure continued. "Open yer eyes, and see what Fear REALLY is!"

Twilight screamed herself awake, instinctively casting again and only shorting herself out. Collapsing from the shock and fear, her head nearly bounced on the dank floors. The dreamscape was gone, the prison closing on her even more, and those that surrounded her in her dream standing over her. All four - two mares, two stallions- wearing familiar armor.

"Phalanx....?" she whispered. "Princess Luna sent you...? She did hear me....?"

The larger of the two stallions smirked. "Perhaps. We're here for you, Twilight."

She relaxed. Luna's Phalanx had found her! "Quickly, carefully... get these off my hooves, they have some sort of anti-magic on them....."

"Not just yet," one of the mares cackled. "We know that those shackles can hurt us, too. We'll just have to find another way."

The alicorn raised a hoof in panic. "There's no earth ponies with you? They're the only ones who can-"

The statement stopped with the flash of a wingblade just under her chin. Her gaze wobbled from the sharp edge to the eyes of the wielder...... red, glimmering, reptilian eyes hovering over a grin twisted with malice and almost perverse excitement. "They look good on ya," he growled manically.

"But... you're with -"

"So what would YOU do," he sneered, "If I was the last thing you ever saw? What do alicorns think under the blades of mere soldiers? Or am I..?" he grinned broader, terrifying Twilight. "What if a bladed thief WAS the last thing you'd remember of your life?"

She attempted to backwing from him, only toppling herself and tangling up the chains. Again the reflex to cast, and again the searing pain of the Lyrium. Hooves pressed against one wing as the red-eyed alicorn bore down on her further. "Where you goin? We gotta discuss somethin with ya."

Twilight couldn't get a word free to reply. "Silence is willing!" jeered one of the two mares.

The princess could only flail and tremble as the red-eyed leader closed in. His Phalanx armor had red highlights instead of purple, and the chestplate shouldered a second neck guard, which pulsed brilliantly, like an external heart. It barely registered to her that the "horn" he had was nothing more than a decoration on his armor, perhaps a symbol of his leadership within the Phalanx? His grin only widened, jagged teeth almost glowing in their own light. The mares laughed, the larger stallion simply allowing this monster to threaten her! All her confusion and fear couldn't be translated to words, eyes riveted to his. "Yeah," he finally growled, "I like the looks o' that! How about ya cry for me? Boss don't like it, but I don't really care!"

The other pegasi stomped the stone floor, a ritual drumbeat of hooves that only terrified Twilight even more.

"Somethin ya DON'T know," the leader slathered, "Phalanx is Phalanx is Phalanx.... except me!"

His other wingblade flashed, raking her horn. She screamed from the action, then again as her reflex to magically rebuke this monster only allowed the Lyrium to choke on her protests. She pulled desperately at her pinned wing, feeling feathers give as she tried to free it. Her other wing suddenly caught in the jaws of one of the Phalanx mares, the other mare barely containing her glee as she ripped at it. Twilight weakly flailed as they tore at her wings, scraped at her horn, stomped on her tail.

"If ya ain't scared NOW," the bladed Phalanx soldier roared, "More where THIS came from! We're done here."

Three of the Phalanx soldiers marched out, one staying behind. That would be Twilight's last memory before collapsing from exhaustion and fear.

---------------------------------------------


Gallant Lionheart awaited Dreamcarver's return, advance word to him that Aurora had been found shaken but unharmed. With Princess Twilight missing and Canterlot attempting to be discreet, he had heard much of the worries of Celestia and Luna as they tried to keep the news under wraps. He wanted to "Talk" to Lapis, but apparently enough careless use of the Voice of the Mind caught Count Solaris' attentions. He'd have to be sure that the noble was sound asleep before contacting Umbral again. He'd privately chided Hot Head about his use of it, but the pegasus continued its brazen use, sometimes just for the sake of spooking the locals. "Stupid foal," he grumbled to himself, "that magic can and will be traced soon enough."

"Talking to yourself?" another voice rumbled behind him. Lionheart wheeled, horn aglow. Snapdragon was not impressed. "Maybe the armor IS doing something to your mind. Perhaps Princess Luna would like to know more."

"This is not the time-"

"Oh, it's the perfect time," Snapdragon interrupted. "The Phalanx all know about these disappearances, yet we remain idle. Something else you want to tell the class?"

"I know nothing more than you do," Lionheart retorted. "Respect my post as YOUR captain!"

"'Respect' is a word you should never speak, you don't know it's meaning." Snapdragon's wings flared open. "You've barely lifted a hoof for a Princess and shown nothing but bored indifference to this. Other kingdoms will start inquiring, if they look to you for answers......"

"They'll get their answers, Snapdragon. Now stand down before I report you to - "

"Is there an issue, Captain?"

The two Phalanx soldiers snapped to attention as Princess Luna herself joined them. "This is a tense time, infighting is NOT what will solve the problem."

"Our captain lacks passion for his post," Snapdragon accused. Luna raised one of her wings to him.

"Lionheart is correct, this is not the time for discussion. You two will accompany me back to my quarters and guard my door. I have another guard on my balcony. I cannot be disturbed by anypony save my sister or my brother."

Gallant Lionheart saluted her. "None shall enter your chambers."

Luna nodded. "I will seek more answers through a Dreamwalk. Perhaps I can locate Princess Twilight Sparkle - or get more information to those who need to know."

"Dreamcarver is expected soon," Snapdragon informed the princess. "Will Princess Celestia be the only one to question the unicorn?"

"My sister is more qualified since Aurora is her student. I don't believe my presence, despite the time passed, will ease her condition. Now come."


---------------------------------------

The crescent moon hovered emotionlessly over the wilds of Equestria, giving just enough light for travel. Sonja carefully led the Spellbreaker teams through the woods northeast of Hollow Shades. Between the timing, amount of supplies, the Lyrium complement and Salvino's insistence to travel with the teams, her patience was already thin. Some of the others worried they had been spotted already, some wasting their anti-magic items on innocent shadows of trees and the occasional rabbit or squirrel. Her commentary thankfully backed by Salvino but the palpable restlessness did not help.

"This is taking too long," Belmonte groused as he counted up the troops for her. "We should be in Canterlot by now."

"This is necessary," she hissed back. "I'm guessing that their guards will be stepped up if that blasted alicorn is trying to stir up trouble. The last thing we need is to be snout-deep in a Royal inquiry."

"The caution will serve us in the end," Silverback added. "no matter how much of their magic is involved, things will still take a day or two to fall into place. Getting there too early will compromise Strife's side of the plan. Getting there too late...."

"Getting there too late might be beneficial," Salvino interrupted. "We will camp here and draw lots for splitting up at dawn. Sonja, you will lead one team north to the Crystal Empire. Belmonte, Silverback, you will be with me with the rest going to Canterlot."

"If we're too late-"

"Belmonte," the Spellbreak leader interrupted. "Remember the real reason we are involved. If done correctly, we will have at least three alicorns in range. The team heading north will have another alicorn they can neutralize. Demolishing Canterlot and reclaiming the Crystal Empire are all part of the plan."

"'Reclaiming'...?" Sonja queried. "How are we - "

"History that will be explained once our objectives are met."

Belmonte snorted in frustration and ordered the others to establish camp.

--------------------------------------

The doors to Luna's private chambers echoed shut, locks firmly in place and guards outside her door. Reprimanding Snapdragon and Gallant Lionheart again for their hostilities had not helped her mood or worry for the safety of Twilight Sparkle. Her faint memories of seeing her brother when she first returned (as Nightmare Moon) only added to her own frustrations. She had not slept for a few days, so at least this would be rest. She was thankful that Thunderspark volunteered to guard the balcony, as Shadow Tracker and Hazard Watch were otherwise occupied with examining the strange box taken from the Ponyville library.

She settled herself on a specific purple cushion she would rest upon when she chose to Dreamwalk. Unlike some of her other night patrolling, this would be a specific search - if she could locate Twilight Sparkle, assurances could be transmitted. If not, Luna considered other options, such as alerting Princess Cadance and especially Shining Armor of the kidnapping. Her aqua eyes slowly lost focus as they closed, her horn faintly glowing to light her path.

"Dreams are the realm of all ponies' minds," she whispered. "I shall observe their fondest hopes, deepest desires and worst fears. I walk silently, only to observe, save those I directly seek."

The simplicity of her closed eyes erupted in a flash of color, a shimmer of polished copper shattering into a wide and amorphous plane. The ground under her hooves felt more like clouds, the skies swirling above with random stars and cool colors. Purples and blues melting into each other overhead, stray thoughts of sleeping ponies all over Equestria. As she called it a "Dreamwalk", it was simply that. She would walk through open fields and boulevards, dreams to realize, dreams that have broken, dreams gone horribly wrong.

Many colts and fillies dreamed of their futures - in this realm they could try on a cutie mark to see if their destinies indeed matched. Most stallions dreamt of mares or fortunes; some faced hidden fears. The mares dreamt of stallions or stations, many dreaming of ruling as well. Some fantasized becoming alicorns, many accepting the gift in their minds from Celestia or Twilight. Rare would be her appearance, save for one slightly objectionable dream from a Phalanx soldier asleep at his post. She would speak to him later.

Her ears swiveled and her horn flickered, searching for familiar voices or sounds. Earth ponies dreamed of dancing on clouds; unicorns displaying great feats of strength; pegasi controlling more than the weather. Many citizens of Canterlot simply dreamt of relaxing with their families, pleasing the Princess of the Moon. Many of the voices she heard were happy, some concerned, some despondent. Still no voices resembling Twilight Sparkle's. She listened for Cadance next, knowing she rested comfortably with her beloved Shining Armor.

Her walk slowed as the growl of thunder caught her attentions. A glance to her left, and the "horizon" darkened with purplish-black clouds, winds spreading the storm out like a shroud. She paused in her deliberate walk, wondering whose dreams would encompass so much anger in this realm. The clouds continued to billow, blasts of lightning in multiple colors only increasing her curiosity. No voices emanated from the silent storm, no rain or snow emptying the gray-black void. "Such a bleak vision," she mused.

Finally unable to contain her curiosity, her wings pushed her away from the foggy grounds into the silent, raging storm. The clouds themselves pawed at her, spitting winds and turbulence her way. She struggled against the swirling updrafts and blocked the slashing lightning with her own magic. The storm tried to push her away, but she pushed back harder, searching for the bearer of such bad tidings.

A final push brought daylight to the center of the storm, a setting sun against a thorny garden. She landed at its entrance, startled by the jeering skeleton ponies that decorated the gateway and the iron spikes that surrounded them. A glance inside revealed barren, spiked trees that appeared to attack each other with every gust that blew through. Luna's continued curiosity did not slow the bizarre combat. Gathering herself, she entered the desolate center of the storm, deeply troubled at this dreamscape.

Only then did she hear the voices. Angry, frustrated voices locked in a perpetual argument. She could not make out the words, but it sounded like several ponies in heated, mean-spirited discussion. She followed the narrow path, hearing the voices getting louder and more agitated. "Hear me!" she finally called. "What of this grand debate? Why such anger? Why such a dreary place that only a Princess of the Night would wish on no other pony?"

The voices stopped. "Hear me!" She repeated. "What transpires here?"

"Go away," a stallion's voice distantly ordered. "Don't come back, you left already."

"I know nothing of what you speak!"

"Go away!" the voice repeated, louder. "Are you happy that you are home? Pleased to share a roof with your executioner?"

"Again, I know not which you speak!"

"Then SEE for yourself!"

The storm flooded the garden, shaping the landscape and ripping the thorny trees away. The display startled Luna; she had never encountered such a lucid dream! The clouds again swung at her, lightning searing the ground at her hooves. The winds angry roar gave away to discordant, broken music, a poorly tuned harpsichord as though played by a blind mare. The music faded as the storm finally peeled away, revealing a solid black alicorn stallion seated uncomfortably on a tattered cushion. His eyes flickered mostly green, perhaps shifting incessantly from deep blue to brilliant yellow too fast for her to follow. He stared through Luna with a gaze of a dragon, his leathery wings steeped in living shadows.

"Brother....." Luna breathed.

"One of few to Remember," he began. "You are home by my hoof. You're welcome."

Her mouth opened, but she could not speak at first. This was not the little Lapis she remembered! "Brother, why do you do this? What has happened?"

"You don't Remember," he replied simply.

"What was there to forget? What am I to 'Remember', other than you as the Shadow of the Moon?"

The alicorn's expression remained cold. "That alicorn is before you," he replied flatly. "I saw your tears. I saw Cepheid's chains. What will be my 'reward' on my return?"

"Family!" she replied without hesitation. "Celestia and Cepheid await you in Canterlot Castle."

Lapis did not react. "Living under an executioner. You broke our Promise. I brought you home. You both turned your backs to me."

"We did no such thing!" Luna protested.

"WHERE WAS SHE, THEN~?!" He demanded as he rose from his cushion. "Hiding in her glimmering spires, seeking nothing but deification at the cost of our names and reputations! She DEMONIZED you! She imprisoned Cepheid! I dare not speculate what she has done to the revered names of Aphelion of the Tides or Solaris of Nature! Do they even EXIST anymore? What will be THEIR fates upon their return? Windowless cages? New statues for the garden? Whatever shall please you and continue the demolition of what we once were!"

"You're mad!" Luna replied shakily as she backed away from him. "Twilight Sparkle has nothing to do with your issues!"

"WRONG!" Lapis conjured a tattered purple doll, the "remains" of the newest alicorn. "Tia chose to make new Family. Now that this Unworthy unicorn has been made into 'Family', she is very much a 'Family' matter." The purple doll flew down and flopped before Luna, bright red stuffing pouring out of the wings and ears. "Let her learn how 'close' and 'together' we've been for a thousand years! Take her wings away and she is yours unharmed. Surrender Canterlot to me and slowly be forgotten as has been done to me! This one's deeds may inspire generations, but let her do so as a UNICORN!"

"That is not yours to dictate!" Luna's courage quickly returned. "We have waited for you to come home. Just come home!"

"Not until my demands are met. BEGONE~!"

The roaring wind and blackened lightning slammed into her, ending her Dreamwalk and careening her into the wall of her chambers. Her eyes opened. She was not pleased.

--------------------------------------

Strife settled himself to an east-facing window, up before the sun as usual. He'd listened to Lapis in the throes of a nightmare, Desert Sun still sitting with him to calm him down. That should have pleased the earth pony; even the alicorns had something to fear. His tail flicked absently to the saddlebags, filled with Lyrium given to him by his Spellbreak brethren. Replaying the animated whip's attack on Lapis in his mind, he forced a smile to his face. That time would come, where he would see alicorns wither at his feet. Even if Salvino and the others don't come, he will find a way.

Resting his chin on the window's ledge, he let the new day wash over him. He hated this limbo; perhaps he was spoiled by the ability given to him, but at least he would know where they were. How long would it take for a messenger bird-

One eye opened as the tiny rush of wings blew past his ear. His open eye wandered to the source, a silvery bird that examined him with a stern gaze. "Salvino sent you?" he absently asked the bird. It pecked at his ear to make sure it had Strife's attention before holding up his leg with a message band attached.

Strife fumbled the scroll free to read:

"WE ARe Running Into VEry Steep Obstacles. ONE North Detatchement. All LeIgons COnsidered Ready Now. Salvino."

Strife sent the bird away. He would "translate" the note for Umbral. The real message told him he would be safe for now.

--------------------------------------

"Sorry if the noise bothered you, dear - not allowed to practice indoors, of course...."

Desert Sun, Night Ash and Slurry gathered in a rare meeting to practice with their new necklaces. Night Ash had teased Desert Sun about hers, knowing full well the damage that could be done if she tried to use the explosive properties of it within Drakengard. "It would have hurt worse had you been inside," she replied. "The echoes were quite strong. I had to 'turn off' the hearing part while you were practicing."

"You'd rather have 'sight' on anyway, wouldn't you?" Slurry queried.

The brown unicorn opened her light green eyes. "I don't know if I would have missed it if I could see before." She looked to the other two mares. "I love the designs, I think the Crystal Empire mare did a fantastic job with them."

"Money tends to do that," Slurry grumped. "And I'm hoping I don't damage your eyes."

Night Ash's smile faded slightly "There's nothing wrong with how you look," she reassured. "It's what you've done for us that matters."

"It matters to me."

"Shouldn't matter at all," Desert Sun chimed in. "Your weather skills are quite polished, and you're quite strong for a pegasus. Perhaps that's why Sandstone's taken a shine to you?"

The pegasus simply shook her head, wings tightening against her sides. "I don't know what he's looking at. Just a mudbat who happens to be good at weather and hauling."

"Those are good things, though," Sun insisted. "You've helped so much with the mining efforts, and helped transport us from the edge of the desert back to Drakengard. I can't levitate that much for that long, and neither can Night Ash."

"I guess I just need to ask more. Lapis made me a promise a while ago that he hasn't followed through."

"This about changing you back?" Sun queried. "He told me that-"

"He told YOU, of course," Slurry growled. "You're the 'sun to his moon', 'fire to his hearth'......"

"You're all that to Sandstone," Night Ash's quick reply. "Probably even more. He trips over himself when you're mentioned, and more so when he sees you."

"Still don't know what he sees....."

"He sees what I see when I don't have this necklace on. You're still talented, physically and mentally strong, and he would likely carry you from here to Manehatten if you asked."

"It's not what I want," Slurry sighed. "I just want to look like me, again. Lapis promised me if I stayed he would fix this."

"The necklace doesn't count, then?"

"It's not permanent."

"Would you be willing to show us, at least?"

The pegasus carefully stood. "Normally I wouldn't," she said mostly to Desert Sun, "but maybe if I DO show you, you can talk to him about it."

Night Ash slowly shook her head. "It's still a step in the right direction. Maybe he'll have something more permanent after -"

"After three plus years, he should have had this figured out by now. He should stop brooding over his sisters and whining about our little princess prisoner and actually finish what he supposedly started."

"I've seen the notes -"

"I've seen them too - doesn't mean he's ACTUALLY working on it!"

Night Ash motioned for calm. "Master Lapis has been juggling projects for everyone here. Perhaps he just wants to have his full attention on it when we've taken care of this other matter."

Slurry indignantly shook his head. "I've been down this road too many times - he needs to get me a solution BEFORE we do anything major, or he'll just keep pushing it back and pushing it back."

"So will you be showing us, then?"

"Right. Sorry if I'm wasting your time..."

The pegasus shook herself out thoroughly before raising a hoof to her necklace. "Maybe this will help you two understand." Neither responded with more than simple nods. Slurry looked to them again before closing her own amber eyes and tapping the gem embraced by two silver chameleons.

The murky diamond flashed to life, its shadowy magics flowing over her body in a dark gray wave. Every inch of her glimmered under the cloak of shimmering shadows, peeling away each layer of her colors and spreading out her mane. Her wings trembled as the membranes softened and the wingbones vanished, replaced by silvery-white feathers. Her mane casually cascaded down her neck, the mustard yellows glowing like a summer sun, the grays flashing white. Her coat lost all its "Mudbat" colors, changing to the color of rainclouds in a brilliant summer sky. Her clump of a cutie mark did not change much, but looked more like one storm cloud mixed into the canvas of her body coloring. When her eyes opened again, they were a deep emerald green and still smoldering with the firm determination that kept her from letting those who took this away from her win in the end. Her gaze then fell back to Desert Sun and Night Ash, both staring in bewilderment.

"Summerstorm...." Night Ash breathed. "So that's the name I'd heard...."

Desert Sun almost shushed Night Ash until Slurry herself spoke. "That name doesn't fit me, where I'm at now. All that muddy look does is bring me all the bad memories. Lapis is doing nothing but stalling, in my mind. I've waited VERY patiently! Do you have any idea what it's like to look at yourself and to know that it isn't you looking back? To know that you're not meant to look like this and that the real you is gone? Before this necklace, I wasn't sure I even remembered what I looked like. But I see myself as I used to be and I can't feel happy because I know it isn't real. It's just this necklace. And once it's turned off, so is she. All I want is to look like this again. Always."
Just for a moment, her face softened at the uttering of this last word and steeled once more as she continued speaking. "It would be my final victory, and when we take over I’ll have all of those who did this to me arrested. See how THEY like it!"

Night Ash lowered her head in apology. "I don't understand how anypony could do such things to you."

"Displays of power, a 'favor' to one in training, which of course couldn't be fixed....."

"They've lied to you," Desert Sun announced. "This can be cancelled quite easily. Not my strong suit, but I know he can do it."

"The question is then, WHEN is he going to do it? He's brushed me off too many times."

"I think we had come here to practice," Night Ash gently interrupted. "I suggest a test. Slurry, can you disguise yourself as Desert Sun? It would be a simple thing, since you two are close in height."

Desert Sun stood next to Slurry. "Right then. Given Night Ash's sight thing, we can fine-tune it?"

Slurry looked the fiery unicorn over a couple of times. "Okay...." she again raised a hoof and tapped the charm.

This time the magics flowed out slowly, glitters like microscopic eyes pulsing in Desert Sun's direction. Slurry could once again feel the magic mold at her body, carefully tucking her wings deep into her back as a horn blossomed on her forehead. Her longer mane from her Summerstorm form billowed out like its own fire, glowing red and gold to match her rapidly changing coat. Night Ash finally stood and stepped closer, appraising.

"Darken your reds, just a couple of shades.... there. Her eyes a solid silver, so it'll look like you don't have pupils.... better, much better." The brown unicorn looked back. "Turn the cloud into a four-pointed star and I think you'll be all set." Slurry closed her eyes to concentrate as Night Ash continued her comparisons. "Now just a touch on the yellows.... there, more golden. The necklace is perfect."

"I only had eight crayons," Slurry muttered, her voice slowly morphing to that of her target's. Night Ash's ears twitched expectantly.

Desert Sun looked her duplicate over. "Very nice, I'd be a bit fooled."

"Hadn't tried the voices, just forms," Slurry startled herself with her own voice. "Oh, the accent's in there too."

Night Ash listened again. "That's VERY close. Then again, I can also hear Hatchet laughing from the forges, Sandstone talking to his little brother, and Morning Star reciting from the Libram Noctem. It would take a very strong ear to tell the difference."

"So this would fool friends and family?" Slurry queried, fascinated at how well the disguise manipulated her voice. "Perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on him. But he DID promise."

"Of course he did," the real Desert Sun affirmed. "And this was just to let you have a few good tastes of your old self before he makes it permanent. You'll be fine."

A knock at the threshold ended their conversation as Violet Force stood in the hallway. "We're done with our shifts downstairs. Who wants a turn?"

"I'll go," Night Ash volunteered. "I think we're done with our practice."

Violet looked at the two Desert Suns. "Something to make Master Lapis twice as happy?"

"He could only hope," they replied in unison. The stallion smirked and winged away to go work on the weather.

"Have we been a little help at all, dear?"

Slurry sighed. "I want to test this first. Do you mind if I walk about like this for a bit?"

Desert Sun reached to hug Slurry, but the responding stare stopped her. "Please. Do try it out. If you get past Sandstone without him falling over, you'll know it works." The unicorn trotted out of the room, leaving Slurry to herself.

"Sandstone's not the one I'll be trying this on...."


-------------------------------------

Back in the Atrium, Celestia and Cepheid continued to discuss their response to the conundrum of Lapis' ransom note. While the Sun Princess insisted on writing, her brother continued to re-read and re-emphasize the language of it. "You'd think Solly wrote this," he grumbled. "You're gonna need a stronger word or two to get his attention."

"I think he'll understand, Cepheid," Celestia patiently replied as she continued to write. "I'll have someone fetch the old Seals, I want all three of ours on there to show that you've agreed to our response."

"Won't be enough. He'll want to see me out of irons, even if I have been for a while now."

"I think commenting on Twilight Sparkle's predicament is strong enough words." She put the quill aside and began to read the response out loud.

"To my youngest brother, Prince Lapis Umbral,
We DO understand your sadness and anger at what has transpired. 1,000 years IS too long to be without family, so I am inviting you, alone, to come and air your grievances so we may work out this problem. Holding a Princess of Equestria, who has earned that title and rank, for too long can---"

"HE SHALL HAVE HIS WAR, IF HE WISHES IT EVEN IN REPOSE~!!!" Luna appeared between them. "HOW DARE HE ATTEMPT TO BANISH ME FROM THE DREAM REALM! HOW DARE HE ENDANGER PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE! MY PHALANX FIGHT EACH OTHER IN ANTICIPATION OF MY BROTHER'S INVASION!"

Both were taken aback by Luna's furor. The Atrium shook with her voice, echoing her frustrations and anger. Soldiers all through the castle looked their way, only to snap back to their duties from the icy, aquamarine glare of the Princess of the Night and Dreams. Cepheid managed to loosen his tongue first. "Sister, what--"

"HE SPINS NIGHTMARES IN MY REALM! THORNS AND SILENT STORMS, SEEING TWILIGHT SPARKLE AS NOTHING MORE THAN A TOY IN A BLACK GAME OF CHESS! ONCE GALLANT LIONHEART AND SNAPDRAGON ARE CALMED FROM THEIR BICKERING, WE SHOULD STORM HIS 'CASTLE' AND SEE IF HE IS INDEED READY FOR MY WRATH!"

"There will not be a war, Luna," Celestia flatly replied.

"He is not the brother that I remember," Luna fumed. "The darkness and melancholy and rage.... He is lost to us."

"Is he?" Cepheid countered. "How lost was I before Twilight and the others re-opened my eyes? And how lost were YOU?" He then looked to Celestia. "You've actually seen him the most recently."

"You would not recognize him."

"He's just throwing another temper tantrum, right? If he's going to sit in a soiled stable and cry about it -"

"There's a lot more to this than tears. Maintaining harmony does not include battle and the involvement of hundreds of ponies who could be spared another war."

"It won't be a long one, knowing him," Cepheid snorted. "Isn't that how it usually works? Shouting righteous indignation, then he trips over his own hooves? I think that we CAN afford."

"That was 1,000 years ago," Luna warned her brother. "He is not what you remember. All of this anger and hatred has compressed into his heart like a black diamond."

Cepheid shuddered and backed away from his sisters. "This sounds... TOO familiar to me. Tia, finish the letter, I'll have an image brought to you presently." He teleported to the grand hall.

Luna glanced over the letter. "He's already declared war, sister. You have seen this yourself."

"It will not be a war unless he chooses to make it so," Celestia whispered. "Please add your Seal to this so that he will understand we all want to talk to him."

"A stuffed toy filled with red fabric was not a peace offering. Your words will be in vain."

"Hopefully our response will change his mind. If not, I ask that you return to the Dream Realm. Find Rainbow Dash and Shining Armor. They NEED to know what is happening. I will send word to Ponyville.

"I don't want to go to war against Family, and we both know Cepheid will refuse to participate. We have to try this first."

------------------------------------

Twilight's mind swam from the Phalanx soldiers attacking her. One stayed just to watch as she shuddered, wept, ached. The stallion offered no sympathy or explanation to their actions. They had plucked her wings almost completely clean; her horn scraped and scratched. Everything else on her body feared separation in a similarly barbaric manner. This fear was not lost on the soldier, whose stoic glare only leaned into a satisfied smirk as his first steps away from the cell startled her from restless sleep.

Slowly, deliberately, Twilight pushed herself to her feet, bare wings not available for balancing. The water trough hadn't been refilled, but at least water remained. She sipped slowly, just trying to calm her nerves and whirling mind as the assault ran in a blood-red loop behind her eyes. It made no sense to her; why was she such a target? Why is that alicorn stallion so upset with her if it was Celestia's doing in the first place? If he's the one who brought Luna "home", why did they not talk about him? And why does he send monsters when he knows she can't go anywhere, especially without wings or magic? She guessed Strife would be extremely pleased that she had been reduced to-

The fear in her mind fluctuated a moment, finally pushing away the four Phalanx soldiers attacking her. She was indoors, no sunlight. She "Felt" underground. The cell might have been magically carved out, but there was nothing ornate or fancy or "Magical" to it. Twilight's theory that an alicorn was all three types of pony felt more than confirmed as all three sides mentally collapsing within. She staggered away from the trough and fell to her knees, not even her earth pony side consoled with hard ground beneath. All these emotions muted the sound of approaching hoofsteps, scaring her further when the new guard spoke.

"I hope my arrival did not disturb your sleep. It will be a quiet day here in Drakengard Keep."

Twilight spooked, tripping over her hooves and shackles once more. Once she steadied, a glance to the hallway revealed her new guard; a brown and green zebra..... unicorn? The mare's curly blue mane did not hide her closed eyes and faint smile. "You've little to fear from me. Smile or frown, yours I cannot see."

Twilight's ears flicked at the rhymes. They were nowhere near as smooth as Zecora's, or Prince Zathias'. She could see the new guard's ears in perpetual motion, perhaps a distraction from the silver necklace she was wearing? Twilight decided not to respond, simply settling herself down in hopes that this new guard is more like the red and gold unicorn and not the little blue zebra.

Night Ash's ears slowed. "Have you too little to say? Did the others - "

"Your accent's off," Twilight replied softly. "I know a couple of zebras. You don't sound like them."

"I admit I'm a little out of practice," Night Ash indirectly agreed with the prisoner. "So you know other zebras? Have you been to Farasipunda yet?"

Twilight looked away. "Not yet. And judging by how your 'boss' has it out for me, it seems very unlikely I will."

"We await response from Canterlot. Apparently much needs to be discussed about your fate. Master Lapis has made his request quite clear. Canterlot for his reign, and you returning to a normal life."

"My life has been anything but 'normal'-"

"He is well aware of your accomplishments and accolades," Night Ash politely interrupted. "He is mostly impressed with your work, and what you have accomplished with your friends."

"Mostly?" Twilight rolled her eyes. "The wings again, I get it......"

"He also worries about Discord running loose. He talks in sadder tones when he speaks of his sister Luna. It's what he doesn't say that catches my sensitive ears. Much of what you've done - and what your friends have accomplished - he does not comment but that likely means he will not deride it. Were he truly as furious as he was upon first sight of you with wings, there would be no food, no water, no blanket. No company."

"So what did he mean by 'Wings taken away from Family' when he mentioned them when he spoke to me?"

It was Night Ash's turn to look away. "His brother is still in prison? And is his sister Luna indeed 'free'?"

"If he's worried about Cepheid," Twilight's indignant response, "I'm the one who helped out of prison, despite his oen protests to stay. Luna? She has never been imprisoned as far as I know."

Night Ash's ears swung forward. "I believe your words. I hear the weariness and hesitation in your voice, but that is from your time here and not from attempting to deceive me."

"Lying wouldn't save me," Twilight admitted. "What's in it for you for being with him? The other unicorn showed concern, and I know why some of the others aren't pleased with me..."

"Master Lapis is a fine teacher," the proud response. "He has found ways to help me read books and scrolls, learn other functional magics. He's helped tame my sandstorms so that I won't hurt anypony else. I didn't want to hurt anypony else."

"'Help you read'....?"

Only then did Night Ash open her eyes. Nothing to them but swirls of white and pale green, looking at nothing. "As I mentioned, I cannot see. This happened during my training, and while I saved other ponies' lives, I paid a steep price."

Something clicked in Twilight's addled mind. This was the unicorn Prince Zathias praised. This might also be the unicorn that Snowcatcher.........

"Despite having such caring ideals in some regards, he has no problem with seeing some others being hurt."

Night Ash demured at such a caustic reply. "Something has hurt him for a very, very long time. It seems teaching is therapy for him. He will spend hours with Desert Sun and I, talking magic and history. He stops talking when either of us smile. And I can 'feel' him relax when we laugh. All you see is a monster; he is not a monster in my 'eyes'."

Twilight shook her head. "Then he must be brainwashing you. Then again, he hasn't tried to torture you."

"Not at all," Night Ash's pleasant tone blurring to offense. "He cares for all of us in different ways. He teaches Desert Sun, Morning Star and I. He's channeled Hatchet's energy into his true calling as an smith. He's toughening up poor Sandstone, who despite his size would still flee from the unknown."

"Are you sure he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart, and not for his own goals?"

"He wanted help, and exchanges it for the wealth of knowledge and wisdom he has gained over the centuries. It's more than a fair trade. You were trained by an alicorn as well, so you understand the honor that such a post gives the rest of us.

"We had pulled together to march on Canterlot to utilize the legendary Star Compass. It brought Nightmare Moon - Luna - back to Canterlot. She thanked him wholeheartedly, and they shared a short reunion. This was the last time he had seen her short of dreams and memories. We are all here for him, but he still sounds alone. So we continue to help, if only to perhaps bring out the rare shadow of a smile on his face. We know he cannot laugh; Princess Celestia mocked him for it."

"Princess Celestia wouldn't mock anypony!" Twilight protested, and her reflexes once again bringing the shackles into play. "All he has to do is go to Canterlot and TALK to her!"

"With what happened to Cepheid and Luna, do you honestly believe there will be 'talk'?" Twilight tried to respond. "Tell me, before Nightmare Moon, did you even know of him? Or of his brother?"

The alicorn's mind raced. She did remember something about Lapis' rants about being "forgotten". "I..." her mind dug through its own library in a search for an answer.

"Therein lies his other issue. Princess Celestia sacrificed memories."

"Wait, wait....There were some legends here and there that I've pieced as part of them. Though one that I thought would match him doesn't fit, as he's not locked to the old castle as the Pony of Shadows. Most stories talk about shadowy beings at night, but never seen. I'm guessing that was him. Was he the 'Wandering Shadow'? Or maybe just simply tied to the Nightmare Moon stories as the 'Moon's shadow'? That's what 'Umbral' ultimately means, right?"

This inormation seemed to impress Night Ash. "Then perhaps he was not as forgotten as he feared."

As if Discord himself planned it, once the two mares were relaxed an explosion shook the walls of the compound. Night Ash quick to her feet, tapping her necklace to better "hear" what was going on.

"What's happening??" Twilight asked frantically, only partially dodging debris from the ceiling. Night Ash didn't respond to her. The unicorn dashing upstairs told Twilight that all would NOT be quiet in Drakengard.