• Published 19th Jun 2015
  • 2,946 Views, 60 Comments

Light's Rising, Shadow's Fall - jwizard



In the distant past, an evil king threatened all of Equus with a power play that was barely thwarted. A young polychromatic-maned pegasus would come to find her own connection to this lost battle, as she would rise to defend a pony close to her heart

  • ...
7
 60
 2,946

Chapter Two: The Fall and Rise of An Unwanted Prince Part One

Equestria, Ponyville, 3-10-05 A.N.M., 3:27 PM, (After Nightmare Moon)


Her wings aching more than usual, Rainbow Dash took a brief nap on a puffy, low flying cumulus cloud overlooking Sweet Apple Acres. Normally, she wouldn’t be this tuckered out on a non-storm day; however, today turned out to be anything but normal.

This was one of those days where the freakish weather patterns out of the Everfree Forest disrupted the weather schedule in Ponyville. As spare cloud wrangling was Rainbow’s chief job as a weather pegasus, she’d spent most of the morning busting up the storm front. It would have been better for her to call in the other weather pegasi to help this time. Between those clouds, and not getting enough good sleep, it had been a trying day for Rainbow.

More like it’s been a trying week. My wing muscles have been complaining a lot recently; well more than they should, Rainbow thought sheepishly. She was aware that she’d been training a little too hard lately, preparing for her trial as a Wonderbolt Reserves Captain. I wish I was being picked as a Wonderbolts Captain, but I can’t leave Ponyville hanging. I am the best flyer in Ponyville, after all.

Rainbow cringed, remembering the last time a pegasus noble from Cloudsdale accused her of arrogance. The fact that she was the fastest flyer in Equestria wasn’t just something she bragged about; it was the truth. She was the first in many years that had successfully pulled off a Sonic Rainboom, and was the ONLY pegasus in history that was able to do so at will. That kind of skill didn’t come without effort, and if she was a little cocky about it (okay, more than a little), then she shouldn’t be criticized for it. She wasn’t saying that there weren’t any better flyers out there. For instance, she didn’t have the raw power that Spitfire had, nor was she able to accelerate as fast as either Cloudkicker or Flitter could. Heck, even Bulk Biceps had skill she didn’t possess. She lacked the mass to be a good endurance flyer. Rainbow was all about speed. As long as I brag about being the best, no pony can put me down.

For a long time, Rainbow had difficulty dealing with the teasing she endured at Flight Camp. Being unable to stop naturally was part of it, though that wasn’t the whole story. Ever since ponies found out about Papa Prism, Rainbow had dealt with more than her fair share of bullying. As if I had any say in what family I was born into, Rainbow grumbled darkly, pressing deeper into the soft cloud.I’m not even like most of my cousins; none of my family is. We’ve always been more into speed, or being Wonderbolts than anything; not forgetting that we’re almost all of us military pegasi in one way or another.

She sighed. No matter how she tried avoiding it, there were some pegasi that looked down on her bragging as somehow being par for the course, from a family that rode the tails of their ancestry. No matter that most had proven themselves worthy, time and again. Her being the Bearer of Loyalty, and a member of the Council of Friendship didn’t help matters. If anything, it made matters worse. Not that she cared what they thought; it just made things harder for her than they already were.

As she gazed down on the apple orchard below her, Rainbow’s dark thoughts were brought up short by a winged, purple form just below her. Unaccountably, Rainbow blushed. Her feelings for that adorkable mare had recently become confusing, especially when she first ascended. Before, she had just been another cute unicorn, though there was something more.

From the moment they first met, Rainbow had often felt that there was something, some strange connection between herself and Twilight. This went beyond the link she shared with all of her friends; that same link that made them the Elements of Harmony. Even with the physical manifestation of their role now linked to the Tree in which it came from, the bond they all shared was as strong as ever.

For Rainbow though, something even deeper told her that whatever connection her and Twilight shared was special, something that was rare. With her featuring in Rainbow’s dreams as of late (even though she couldn’t recall the fact), this connection was becoming harder and harder to refute. Especially since Rainbow wasn’t even certain what it was.


Ever since she ascended, Twilight’s senses had been enhanced. Some of it made sense. She was better able to sense growing things, though she lacked the experience with earth pony magic that Applejack had. She knew when an unscheduled storm was going to appear, something that was more than a bit distracting.

Perhaps the most perplexing of her new senses wasn’t one that could be explained. Lately, she’d been getting twitches whenever something was going to happen that would disrupt her schedule. It sometimes came across as a feeling of being watched. And she was getting it right at this moment, even though there wasn’t anypony around.

Suddenly suspicious, Twilight looked up, and saw a low flying cumulus cloud that looked like it was growing a rainbow tail. Snorting in amusement, Twilight flew up to it, knowing who was once again napping. At least it’s on a cloud this time, and not AJ’s trees. I think she’s learning. Twilight snorted again. Or maybe she was just too lazy to find a tree this time.

Twilight landed onto the cloud next to her cyan friend. The way that Rainbow was stretched out was momentarily distracting for the purple mare, and forced a slight blush onto her cheeks. Flapping her wings to keep herself steady, Twilight sat next to Rainbow.

“What’s up Twi?” Rainbow asked.

Twilight looked at her accusingly. “So you were watching me. I wasn’t imagining it.”

Rainbow looked up at her friend from her prone position. “Nothing freaky Twi; I just happened to glance down and see you come from visiting the Apples again. Not my fault that your freaky alicorn magic went off.” Rainbow stretched before sitting up, bringing another unnoticed blush to Twilight’s cheeks. “So, like I said, what’s up? Were you helping AJ with something?” She then grinned slyly. “Or were you finally there to ask Big Mac out?”

Twilight started at that. “For your information, Rainbow, I was checking to see if Apple Bloom was done with school. Her and her friends have graduated the little classes I was helping them with, and I wanted to give her the certificate I made.” A little pop heralded the summoning of a glass encased certificate, floating next to Twilight in her signature magic field. Rainbow’s gaze at that helped Twilight hide yet another blush. I wish she wasn’t so damn sexy, and I wish she’d stop teasing me about Big Mac. Even if I were into colts, I’d never date the brother of a friend.

“Nice, but don’t you think that’s going a little overboard?” Rainbow asked. “I mean, the squirts were only having you teach them so’s they could find their cutie marks.” Rainbow smirked. “Turns out everything they did matched their special talents in some way.”

Twilight snickered along with her. “All but Sweetie’s anyway,” she said, sending the certificate back to her palace. “I’m just glad that the certificates were at Sofas and Quills, and not at the… library…,” she broke off, with a little sob.

“Hey,” Rainbow put her right foreleg around her friend, noticing the shudder as she did so. Even so many months after Tirek’s attack, Twilight still hadn’t fully recovered from losing the Golden Oaks Library. Rainbow didn’t blame her; that had been her home ever since she came to Ponyville, and wasn’t a constant reminder of her rank like the palace was.

“Thanks Rainbow,” Twilight said, with a weak smile.

Further musings were cut short by the appearance of Derpy the mail pony. “Princess Twilight? Rainbow Dash? The mayor is looking for you two, as well as the other Elements.”

Twilight and Rainbow looked at each other, before looking at the mail-mare. “Did she say why?” Twilight asked.

Derpy looked confused for a moment, before rapidly shaking her head. “No, only that it was Equestrian Council business.” She then flew off, clumsily as usual. Rainbow and Twilight looked at each other before taking off for Town Hall.


When they arrived at Town Hall a couple of minutes later, it was to be greeted by their other friends. Every single one of them looked confused as to why they had been summoned in this manner.

Twilight and Rainbow landed next to Fluttershy, who was the furthest from the door. The shy pegasus wasn’t alone, however. Strangely, Angel Bunny was on her back. “Oh, I was taking him to the vet when Derpy found me,” she said quietly. A close look at the rabbit showed that he was more than a little grumpy, and had a bandage around his right front paw. Shrugging, Twilight and Rainbow looked at the rest of their friends.

“Today is market day, and Ah get called away fer Council business?” Applejack asked, confused. “I mean, I know we six are important, but we all have lives. What’s so important that the mayor needed us without telling us?”

Rarity looked at the farmpony sternly. “Applejack, darling, I’m sure that Mayor Scrolls had a very good reason for not telling us what this was all about.” Rarity fanned herself with her sun hat. “After all, it’s Council business. I’m sure she will tell us soon.”

Further conversation was cut short by the appearance of the Mayor and her assistants. “Oh, good, Derpy was able to find all of you.” Turning to Amethyst Star, she took the scroll the unicorn was levitating and handed it to Twilight. “Princess Twilight, I was informed when I received this letter from a Royal Courier that I was to hand it over to you. I’m only aware of part of the details, and have sent our local Guards-ponies to escort the detainee here.”

“Oh, well, okay Mayor.” Looking confused, Twilight unrolled the scroll, noticing that the seal on it bore the arms of the Council of Eight. Her expression darkening, Twilight read the scroll. Once she was done, she snorted angrily. “And just why do they even THINK I’m going to do anything to help?! He made his own hay bed on this.” Snorting, she turned to Scrolls. “Mayor, I’d like you to send word to the Council. Inform them that I’m going to help under duress, and that if I have any say in the matter, he’s not going to get any further assistance from me beyond finding some menial task suitable for him.” Turning on her back hooves, Twilight walked off.

Rarity picked up the scroll that Twilight had dropped. Reading, her expression went from shock to anger. “Imbeciles!” she said in a huff. Seeing the confused looks on her friends faces, she read the contents of the scroll out loud.

Princess Twilight Sparkle,

This is an official scroll outlining certain actions that have recently been taken, both by this Council, and by the Diarchs of Equestria. As you may or may not be aware, this Council has left approval of your ascension as a matter for the Princesses to handle. Regrettably, we were no longer able to do so, as a petition placed before Princess Celestia by the former Prince Blueblood of House Lemyre forced our hoof.

As of 11:42 this morning, the Diarchs of Equestria have declared a full accounting of all titled nobles that have yet to prove themselves in the meritocracy system. This illustrious Council had already ratified the system to be permanent, something that no prior Council has done. You need not worry, as your own position both as Princess of Friendship, and Element of Magic is unaffected by this decision.

As you are likely aware, the former Prince Blueblood had been lobbying to have you removed as Princess, and would have gone even further. His actions caused his aunts to force further requirements on what seat he does have. Regrettably, this means that he will have to petition House Sparkle in thirty (30) days if he wishes to retain his seat. Amusingly, this is the lesser seat of House Lemyre, and not the seat he has always laid claim to. I regret this, but I must request that you will do all in your power to help the former Prince in this transition period, as the Council has banished him from Canterlot for the next year.

I know that your personal difficulties with said stallion might make you severely reluctant to offer any sort of assistance. I’d like to point out, however, that even though he has no real political power, he still has considerable influence. Embargoes placed on goods being shipped to and from Ponyville may make things more difficult for those in your demesne. Please, do not do anything that will further exacerbate the situation.


Yours Truly,

Clover the Wise, Archmage &
First Councilor

Seeing the expressions on the mare’s faces, Mayor Scrolls made to reply, before the situation could get further out of hoof. “While I know that you all, and particularly you, Miss Belle, may be reluctant to provide any kind of assistance to the unfortunate stallion, I must ask that you help Princess Twilight in this manner.” Seeing that they still looked obstinate, her expression turned stern. “Listen, I know this may be hard for you to accept, but keep in mind that this is a Council request, one that I intend to be enforced.”

Applejack looked up at that, scowling. “Now see here, MAYOR,” she sneered, “Ah don’t recall a time where this town ever bent over to follow decisions made by a council outside of mah families’. A council that,” and here, she jabbed her right front forehoof in the now scowling mayor’s muzzle, coming close to smacking her, “has done all it could to keep you in your place, considering your ineptitude. Ah’m only gonna help Twilight because she’s mah friend, and not because the Council says so.”

Rarity took the pause that followed to put in her two bits. “Indeed. As I’m a blood member of House Belle, I have more authority than you do.” Before the mayor could interject on this statement, Rarity continued. “The only reason I haven’t done so is because this town was founded by earth ponies, even though my family has lived here for two generations now.” She smiled coldly. “My cousin Time Turner is, frankly, more suitable as a leader than yourself, but is far too interested in tinkering with science related things to be at all interested in politics.” Her expression softened. “Mayor, threatening us when there is no need to do so isn’t going to help. I know that it may look like we’re not willing to help, but it’s simply that we know how much of a bother this stallion has been to Twilight.”

Scrolls blinked at that. “I regret that I said what I did,” she said. “I truly didn’t think it was necessary, but I was informed in the missive that was a companion to that one that I needed to do all I personally could to ensure the transition went smoothly. I apologize, Miss Applejack.” She turned to the farm pony. “I’ve completely forgotten that I should have requested you and your brother’s presence after reading the first missive.” She sighed. “This is coming on the heels of an intended sales tax that Manehattan and Hoofington has been placing on all products those cities import to Ponyville. A tax that I’ve not been enforcing, as it would bankrupt many of the businesses around here.” Turning, the mayor made to leave. “Please, girls, talk her down. Even though he has no real political power, I do know that he’s the source of those taxes. If the issue is placed before the Assembly, there will be no real way to prevent me from enforcing them without Ponyville ceeding from Equestria.” She then walked back into Town Hall, her assistants following her.

Fluttershy, who was as shocked as the others, made to follow Twilight. “Girls,” she said softly, “let’s go help and support our friend. She needs us right now.” The other mares looked at their shy friend, and nodded, realizing they were right. They all went after Twilight, to help her do something that wasn’t fair to her at all. Rarity was the last, as she had to make sure that the scroll that had caused this was secure. She really wanted to incinerate the damn thing, but knew that was something that Twilight had the right to.


The slamming open of the castle doors startled Spike as he was on his way to find Twilight, having received not one, but FOUR scrolls from the Princess. Looking up at his mom/sister/guardian, Spike began to shiver. Something had her steamed, and he had a feeling he knew what that something was.

“Um, Twilight? The Princess sent letters,” he said hesitatingly. Scowling, Twilight looked at her assistant. Her expression softening somewhat, Twilight nodded before accepting the pile of scrolls he was carrying. Reading through them, Twilight’s muzzle went through several expressions, before settling on disbelief.

“After all he’s put me through, she seriously thinks I should be willing to help him?” she asked in disbelief. “Ever since he became convinced that I’m gay, he’s been nothing but a thorn in my side. Forgive and forget? Yeah, not happening.” She then snorted. “My parents and brother would disown me if I did. I’d do the same as well.”

A noise from the still opened doors made her turn. Her friends were arrayed there, with shocked expressions on their faces. They had heard the last bit, and were frankly shocked. “Darling,” Rarity said hesitatingly, “is that why Blueblood gives you so much grief?” She turned to their friends, who were wondering just what the Princess had said that made Twilight say something so out of character for her.

Twilight looked at her friends darkly. “Partially. It’s mostly an excuse, since I refused his advances during my adolescence.” Snorting in brief anger, she continued. “That was part of the reason why I put off trying to make friends. I didn’t want others thinking that they could get ahead by being friends with ‘Celestia’s Prized Student’.” Her friends nodded at that.

Twilight sighed. “You don’t need to worry girls, that was just the anger talking. Much as I’d like to refuse, I have an obligation as a princess to do the right thing here.” She then smiled at her friends; her smile was a bit sad. “Can I count on your help?”

Nods all around answered her. Twilight’s smile became more happier at that. Spike sighed in relief; both in that a Twilight Explosion had been averted, and that Twilight’s friends hadn’t dug too close into why Twilight got so defensive at being called gay. At least one friend, however, had noticed the fact, along with so many others over the years. And this one promised to do something drastic if the so-called Prince said anything.


Equestria, Ponyville, 03-10-05 A.N.M., 4:22 PM (After Nightmare Moon)


Have you ever wondered what it was like to be a fish out of water? Being in a situation that you could never imagine in your worst nightmares to be? Prince Blueblood of House Lemyre (oh, how he hated that he was Heir to that low-class, do-nothing House) had never allowed that particular thought to cross his mind. Now he wish he had.

All of his plans hinged on being in Canterlot. Every connection he had formed required him to be at or near his manor. His very talent, finding paths and navigation, required the carefully tailored charts in his office. An office that he was no longer able to go to. An office in a manor that was no longer his by birth, belonging to the true Heirs of House Blueblood.

He shuddered. Here he was, doing all that he could to protect Equestria, and he gets tossed away like yesterday’s trash. How could anypony misinterpret his intentions? Could they not see the danger in allowing a pony like her have any kind of power? He really did want the best for Equestria, and now was unable to do anything at all to help the nation he loved so much.

Further musings were cut short by the arrival of the six ponies he despised the most. In the middle was the one that continually stood in his way, the most unworthy pony he had ever met; the so-called Princess of Friendship, Princess Twilight Sparkle. “Princess Twilight,” he drawled derisively, “I see that you and your friends are my welcoming committee.” He walked over to the assembled mares. “I see that you’ve managed to convince the mayor of this podunk town that you’re actually worth something.”

Twilight colored at that. Her anger getting the better of her, Twilight spoke. “I’ll have you know that I have full authority here outside of being a Princess of Equestria,” she said heatedly. “I’m here under duress, since I consider you to be a lost cause. If it weren’t for my grandfather being on the Council, I’d have left you here to fend for yourself.”

Blueblood scoffed. “Oh please, the Council thinks they’ve one-upped me? They really think that their waning power is going to make me work with a jumped-up, gay wanna-be pegacorn?” He had the satisfaction of seeing the tears start to form in her eyes.

His satisfaction was short-lived.

His view was abruptly filled with the muzzle of a butter-yellow pegasus, glaring at him. “How. Dare. You!” she snarled in anger. “How dare you put down my friend?! How dare you put down my FAMILY?! My great-grandmother Buttercup Posey sits on that Council!” Fluttershy took a deep breath, then spoke in a more neutral tone. “Girls, I know we promised the mayor we’d help Twilight, and we should.” She then smiled, looking more like a shark than the kindest pony on Equus. “We’d help best by cutting this miserable excuse for a stallion loose.” Turning, she looked at the Guards-ponies that were there to escort Blueblood to the halfway house prepared for him. “Could you sirs escort this pony,” her tone made it an epithet, “to the stockades? I think that’s a far more suitable place for him, and kinder to those nice ponies that run the halfway house.” She then walked off, the rest of the Elements following her.

Blueblood looked at the Guards-ponies, gulped, then meekly followed them as they made their way into Ponyville. At least, on the outside he was acting meek. On the inside, he was only biding his time until a moment to escape presented itself.


“And I don’t CARE what you think, Mayor Scrolls!”

The loud shout that came from the meek pegasus was a shock. The Mayor of Ponyville looked at the one pony who she would have never guessed would be willing to break a law in anger. “No matter what you may or may not think, this was a COUNCIL decision. And one I was hoping you six would be able to uphold. I cannot have ponies in this town unwilling to obey the laws, especially when given a directive from my office.”

“Since when are we obligated to follow the Council’s directives, Mayor?” Applejack asked in disbelief. “Not only are we six representatives of Harmony itself, but we’re also nobles.” She smiled nastily at the blank look on the mayor’s face. “Oh, that’s right, ya’ll forgot that fact, huh?”

Scrolls snorted angrily. “Whether or not you have noble rank here does not give you the right or authority to run roughshod over a directive from MY office Miss Applejack.” Further words on her part were cut short by another angry voice.

“Ahem.”

The mayor turned to see an angry red muzzle mere inches from her own. “Did Ah jest hear ya say mah sister had less authority than you?” Big Macintosh asked the mayor. “Did ya’ll ferget the family that done BUILT Ponyville?! Or are ya just plumb stupid to think we didn’t recognize yer plans, plans that Ponyville's Council were at least considering in a limited form?” Big Mac snorted. “Yeah, we know. It’s on the Ponyville Council charter that ‘all mining permits and plans must be approved by the eldest of the Apple, Rich, and Turner clans.” He pointed his hoof at himself. “Mah granny may make most of the decisions on the farm, but that’s ‘cause it’s one of the few things that still gives her a reason to get up in the morning.”

Big Mac turned his still angry expression to where the other prominent members of the Ponyville Town Council were gathered. Every single one of the stallions present had a look of disgust bordering on contempt on their faces. Big Mac turned back to the current focus of his ire. “Ah done got full rights to Sweet Apple Acres when I turned eighteen, but I held up on taking full control on account that Ah’m still learning.” He snorted. “As fer being on the Council, that’s something none of us Apples really wanted.”

If it was at all possible to look angrier than he already did, Big Mac would have. “Ah just sent a letter to both Princess Celestia, and the Equestrian Eight, letting them know that we’re all considering to put this matter before the Assembly.” He then smirked. “Ye’all didn’t think we’d be willing to go that route, when Manehattan and Hoofington both want rights to the gems under Ponyville? It was the MAYOR of Manehattan that done alerted us; he’s a member of the Orange clan by marriage.” Mayor Scrolls blanched; she’d forgotten that the Oranges, who lived in cities outside Ponyville, were cousins to the Apple clan.

Big Macintosh cleared his throat, before speaking WITHOUT his colloquial accent. “Mayor Melody Scrolls, on hearing your disrespect towards a member of Ponyville’s First Prime Family, and because of your backroom deals in the planning of leveling said town for personal profit, I, Big Macintosh, part owner of Sweet Apple Acres, and current Head of Ponyville Town Council, hereby make a motion that you be temporarily removed from the office of Mayor.” He turned to the other members.

Filthy Rich moved up at this. “I second the motion. All in favor?” A chorus of ‘ayes’ was heard from the full council, which had been summoned during Big Mac’s harangue. The former mayor blanched, realizing that she had to work fast if she wanted to destroy the evidence implicating her. Further thoughts on that were halted at the clamp that went around her neck, one that was being levitated in place by the resident Princess.

“Scrolls, I’ve just received a note detailing the plans found in the hidden alcove in your manor. I’m placing you under arrest for treason against Equestria.” The others looked shocked at this. “She was negotiating with the Diamond Dogs in building a tunnel that would lead right under my palace. Surveys show that’s where the largest deposit of gems is located.” Her face took on a regally intense expression. “In doing so, she was attempting to invade the demesne of a CROWN PRINCESS of Equestria. Said action is one of treason. Even Blueblood isn’t that stupid.” She turned to the Guards-ponies present. “Please escort the former mayor to the holding cell next to Blueblood.” She then walked away as regally as she could, hiding the hurt she was still feeling at Blueblood’s comment towards her.

For their part, the other girls were still reeling from Fluttershy’s actions, and the anger that Big Mac had displayed. Even Applejack. While she was aware that her brother had a temper, she hadn’t seen him lose it this bad since their pa had run off all those years ago.

As everypony involved made their way outside Town Hall and towards the barracks just outside Ponyville, they all took stock at everything that had just happened. Not only were they now playing host to a unicorn that was heartily despised, but they just learned that their mayor was involved in shady deals that could have destroyed the entire town. Or at least, what looked like it on a cursory examination


About an hour later, with her lawyer pony present, the former mayor of Ponyville was attempting to justify her actions. “Princess Twilight, I do not deny that those plans existed; however, I do not understand how it could be construed as treason.” She pointed towards the survey maps, which showed the fault line passing right underneath the Palace of Friendship. “This area was surveyed months before Tirek’s attack. I do admit to making plans that others might consider illegal; however, I was trying to ensure Ponyville’s future.” She looked up with a scowl. “Proper tunneling would have allowed those gems to be excavated without threatening the homes or businesses of Ponyville’s citizens.”

Twilight looked at Scrolls with contempt. “I’m starting to wonder how an idiot like you could have ever been elected as mayor.” She then turned to the book of Equestrian law that she had next to her, opening it to a specific passage. “You obviously have little understanding as to how Equestrian law works.” She looked at the lawyer pony sitting next to her client, who was visibly sweating. She smirked at that. “Around twenty-seven years ago, it was a ruling of the General Equestrian Assembly that ratified the demesne laws concerning alicorns. Suffice it to say, you needed both my approval AND the approval of the Town Council to begin any mining operation.” She moved the book over to where Scrolls was sitting.

The mare under questioning scoffed at what she read. “I possess a better understanding of the law than you do, princess.” Twilight frowned at her tone, but said nothing as she continued. “As that was a General Assembly, Ponyville did not send any representatives there. So it’s not something that’s covered.”

Twilight sighed. “You really are a doofus. Three days later, both Princess Celestia AND the Equestrian Eight ratified all of the rulings made by the General Assembly.” She smirked at the expression on Scrolls’ muzzle at that. “Oh, weren’t you aware? You should have read further, as that fact is covered in this book of law as well.” Scrolls began to blanch as she realized that she was in deeper trouble than she thought. Twilight went on. “Unfortunately, since no digging had been started, or would have been possible since my palace protects itself, I’m unable to persecute you for treason at this time.” She held up a hoof to forestall any comment from the other ponies present. “However, this is a planned B&E on property I personally own, as these survey scrolls were dated to six weeks ago.” She smirked. “Didn’t think I’d be able to detect that fact? I’m a scholar of many different magic schools, and the surveyor you hired is nothing special.” She pointed at a point on the scroll. “For instance, he missed the largest vein, which actually goes right under the Mayor’s Residence.” She frowned. “It’s truly fortunate that we did find out in time, as many of these veins are a great deal closer to the surface than you were told.” She pointed towards one that led towards Sweet Apple Acres. “For instance, you would have caused a sinkhole RIGHT UNDER Applejack’s house if you had dug that vein up.”

Twilight scowled at the former mayor. “This is why the plans had been tabled when surveyors FIRST found out about these veins. You could have had the potential death of one of the Elements of Harmony on your hooves if you had continued with your plans.”

Scowling, Twilight continued to rip the inept politician a new one. “But no, you had to prove how much brighter than the Council you were. You saw bit signs, and realized that you could make yourself richer in ways that your family has never been.” Twilight leaned forward until her muzzle was inches away from the now sweating earth pony. “You potentially risked the lives of many ponies in this town, and for what? There are ways, safer ways to get gems. Methods that have been used in Equestria for thousands of years.”

Twilight turned towards Scrolls’ lawyer. “I know that you’re likely wondering what kind of offer I’m giving your client here.” Twilight sighed. Having to be autocratic like this wasn’t something that she’d been looking forward to; however, she had little choice. “Since this manner involves me directly, it won’t be going before the D.A. Instead, I’m being forced to decide whether or not I should exile your client from just Ponyville, or from Equestria proper.” Twilight leaned towards the former mayor again. “Neither of which gives me any kind of pleasure, I assure you.” She turned towards the Guards-pony present in the room. “Officer, please escort the prisoner to her cell. I have a great deal to deal with, and the discussion here is over.”

The Guards-pony nodded. Let’s see if she’s as much of an idiot as Time Turner thinks. I really don’t know how this double agent could have gotten away with this as long as she has. I promise Mayor, we’ll have this all cleaned up soon. Twilight watched out of the corner of her eyes as the lawyer pony handed something to the ‘former mayor’. She smirked inwardly. What an idiot.


Equestria, Ponyville, 03-10-05 A.N.M., 11:57 PM (After Nightmare Moon)


Over the many years since Luna first became Nightmare Moon, having been driven to that point by bad rumors and even worse laws, there had been many attempts to undermine the meritocracy system that Equestria operated in. From the very serious to the completely ridiculous, these efforts had all failed. The reason was simple; the Lunar Guard.

Officially, both Luna’s Court and her Guard had been dissolved after she was imprisoned on Lune’s surface. That the truth was that they remained intact in secret was something that few ponies were aware of. Though they no longer had a Princess to serve, they still faithfully protected those that Luna herself protected; the weak, the unfortunate, the lost, and the young.

Perhaps the best skill they possessed was clandestine operations. The first recorded instance of this was the botched attempt on the life of Blueblood the XVIII. Of course, the public record was that the ones involved were actually members of the Royal Guard, and not the Lunar Guard. However, working in the shadows, the ponies who swore themselves to Luna were instrumental in helping the Solar Princess in preserving the peace in Equestria.

Their efforts to preserve the peace had often managed to undermine efforts by the greedy to take a slice of the pie that didn’t belong to them. The plan by traitors to Equestria’s ponies to level Ponyville for its rich gem deposits was one such plan. That it was also a plan by an ancient evil to destroy that which stood in his way was unknown to even its participants.

In a secluded room deep within the Palace of Friendship, a pony that many thought was inept was lying on a four-poster bed, reading. Melody Scrolls looked up at the clock and sighed. She knew that things were about to come to a head.

The former (and current) REAL Mayor of Ponyville wondered just what those idiots were thinking when they foalnapped her. When she first came to Princess Twilight about her suspicions, the princess had conferred with the commander of the local Guard. Little did anypony know, these Guards-ponies were sworn to two different princesses, and not the ones that their armor showed. They were, in fact, members of the Lunar Guard, and Princess Twilight’s unofficial Dusk Guard (the idea of calling them the ‘Friendship Brigade’ was shot down by Twilight; as she said, that was ‘The most ridiculous name for a company of Guards-ponies I’ve ever heard. Princess of Friendship makes sense; the Friendship Brigade just sounds silly.’).

Working with these skilled ponies, Twilight and the Mayor was able to lay a trap for the ones responsible. The foppish Blueblood being sent here was a wrinkle in a plan that had been months in the making. Getting foalnapped, then later freed, took a lot of work, especially if they were going to keep the conspirators out of the loop. Scrolls sighed. If I only knew becoming mayor would involve this sort of thing, I would have prepared myself sooner. Never thought Grandpappy’s instruction in elemental runes would help me in my political career.

Contrary to popular belief, one didn’t HAVE to be a unicorn to be able to cast spells. In fact, many of the most powerful spells were something that unicorns couldn’t cast, simply because they lacked the proper vectors. Though unicorns and earth ponies both possessed ways to manipulate the weather, they didn’t have the power to manipulate wind currents and evaporation directly. Pegasi were born with that ability.

Of all the types of magic available, elemental runic magic was a kind that very few creatures lacked the capacity for. One only needed an internal magical source for it, and an understanding of how runes worked. Of course, it manifested differently in every pony. Scrolls’ grandfather had been a master of the elemental form, and had passed on all of his knowledge to his grandchildren. Golden Harvest had a better use for it, given that she was a farm pony like their mother’s family (they weren’t any relation to the Apples, being that they specialized in rare or exotic fruits). Her niece hardly used them at all in her profession, though Scrolls knew that there were strong earth runes around Cheerilee’s schoolhouse. That was the major reason why the building had survived when the Ursa Minor rampaged a few years back.

When the mining companies based in Manehattan and Hoofington first contacted her office, Scrolls had been amenable to finding a workable solution to getting to those gems. They would have been a great boon to the local economy, so long as Ponyville’s residents weren’t in any danger. Unfortunately, it became clear from the Crown Surveyor that the Guard brought in that any sort of mining was a danger, due to the fact that the veins were too close to the water table. Shoring up the tunnels using earth pony magic was feasible, but prohibitively expensive due to the relatively low cost of some of the crystal present. Only one of the nineteen veins was solid enough for mining. That vein was hooves off for anyone, due to it running right underneath the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters.

Unfortunately for Scrolls, she wasn’t made aware just why the land underneath the palace was so important. It wasn’t until after the Element Bearers returned the Elements to the Tree of Harmony that she realized what was really going on. She had been aware for quite some time that certain ponies were darkly influenced. Most thought such beliefs were superstitious; ask any Master of Earth Elemental Runic, and they’d tell you that there were all sorts of bad mojo out there, just waiting to latch onto the unsuspecting, weak-willed pony. Hard to believe that few really believed in Dark creatures any more, despite Discord’s return.

Scrolls had done everything she could to block further efforts. Soon, however, the threats against her and her family were made. And that was a mistake for the conspirators. Scrolls had long done what she could to keep her family safe, and any threat made against them was one she took seriously. Despite their warning that they’d act if she told anyone, she went right to Princess Twilight.

Many considered the youngest princess to be something of a bore, and ineffectual considering her role in Equestria. They couldn’t be more wrong; she was a danger to anypony that threatened her Little Ponies, just like any of the other Princesses. First of all, she had been the personal student for Princess Celestia since she was eight, and had been counted as the most powerful young unicorn before her ascension. Her role as the Princess of Friendship made her a threat to anypony that wanted to hurt her friends, and she’d become even craftier ever since Tirek attacked.

Right from the start, Twilight had gotten in touch with the local Guard commander, who turned out to be a hidden member of the now more-visible Lunar Guard. Though she tried at first to get the Princesses involved, early investigations made her and Scrolls realize that wasn’t wise. The only way she could tell them was by dragonfire message, and spells around Ponyville would copy anything in those types of letters. It took the better part of three months of work for the princess and Scrolls to work around that. Once they had Princess Luna on board, she and Twilight hatched the plan that was right now nearing completion.

Initially, neither princess was at all willing for Scrolls to put herself in any danger. Once they were convinced that the conspirators needed the mayor alive, they realized that using her as bait was the best that they could do. Using Scrolls’ extensive knowledge of earth runic magic, Twilight was able to create an earth pony magic-based ‘hearthstone’ teleport spell. Dealing with Twilight during that time was both amusing and a chore, as it was hard to keep her from going ‘all egghead’, as Rainbow Dash was wont to say. Scrolls chuckled, remembering the gleeful hoof dance the princess did when she found out she was going to get a chance to put her theoretical studies into runic magic to practical use.

As the water clock on the stand next to her bed chimed past midnight, Scrolls tensed. Here it comes. I hope they don’t do too much damage. Further musings were cut short by an explosion that rocked the palace. “Those idiots! They enhanced the blasting powder with earth runes!” Scrolls exclaimed. “I sure hope the shoring myself and Twilight did on what shafts they did dig holds up.”

Elsewhere in Ponyville…

As the Guards-ponies at the stockades made their rounds, none were paying much attention to the two prisoners being held in jail cells that seldom saw any use. The one was just an insulting idiot, and was only there until the next day, when he would be escorted to the train bound to Dodge Junction. The other one was the ‘former’ mayor of Ponyville. Or at least, she looked like her.

Clever May always thought she was smarter than all those around her. Her skills in disguise magic made her chosen profession as spy one she enjoyed, never mind the near-scrapes she had had with the Lunar Guard over the years. She really hadn’t wanted to take this job, as being involved in foal-napping, even indirectly, was grounds for petrification if caught. The money, and rights to three of the veins, was barely enough to convince her. Added to that fact was that one of the few ponies she considered a threat called Ponyville home. Not likely that an academic like Princess Twilight Sparkle would ever figure it out anyway, she thought snidely. Even if she was taught personally by Princess Celestia, she’s still just a bookworm.

Once she was assured that the Guards-ponies weren’t watching, May spread the powder that her fellow agent gave her earlier in the day on the walls of her cell. Secret work by other agents had allowed them to place explosive runes on the outside of every jail cell, and internal runes would ensure that the explosions were directed outside. Watching the powder move along the cell walls in satisfaction, May waited for a three count before triggering the runes. Backing up hastily, May counted down under her breath, covering her ears in preparation.

The explosion rattled her teeth. May shook it off, then ran in the direction of the mayor’s residence. I need to get rid of the evidence before letting the boys know that the pigeon needs to be cooked. Moving swiftly and silently, May made her way to the place she’d called home for the last seven months.

Climbing into the window that she undid using her telekinesis, May went for the hidden alcove where the more sensitive information was kept. Using her special rune key, May disengaged the locking spell hiding the evidence. Before she could trigger the burn spell, however, the deadening feeling of a magic-dampening field surrounded her.

“Illumenous Radiance!”

As these words died down, lights flared on around her. Suddenly, Clever May realized that she was no longer disguised as the mayor. “Well, I guess I underestimated you,” she said, smirking at the purple alicorn standing next to the office door.

“I guess you did,” Twilight responded with a smirk of her own. “Care to explain yourself?”

May pondered that for about thirty seconds. “Nah, not really worth it.” She then stomped her left hind-hoof, where a hearthstone rune had been embedded in the frog. With a flash, she teleported away, taking the evidence with her. Or so she thought.

Twilight shook her head. Why do they always run?


As the flash heralding her arrival at the cavern her associates cleared, May made her way towards where they were keeping the real mayor, carrying the evidence of her boss’ actions with her. Gotta dump this stuff fast, then clear up the rest of the loose ends. Memory wipe spells aren’t as much of a no-no as murder. I’m not getting stoned for anypony, no matter how many bits I get offered.

Further musings on her part were cut short by her arrival into the living cavern her ‘partners’ were using. Instead of the small gang of mercenaries she was working with on this gig, she found a detachment of Lunar Guards-ponies. Before she could even use her second emergency escape rune however, a voice that sent chills up and down her spine spoke.

“By the Moon above and the Earth below, let that which is made to hurt be dissolved!”

With a sinking heart, May felt all of the runes she had painstakingly forged dissolve, and the magic she had invested into them slip away. A clamp appeared around her horn, further cutting off her ability to cast any more spells. Looking as far as she was able, she watched as the one pony she DID NOT want to involve herself with walk forward. There in all her dark glory, was none other than the Princess of the Night herself.

Princess Luna smirked to herself as she regarded the freelance spy in front of her. “Well,” she said softly. “You and your bosses have given us quite the runaround.” Her gaze falling on the evidence that had fallen out of the unicorn’s telekinetic grip, Luna walked over to the pile. May smirked, knowing what was about to happen. Her humor was short-lived however.

“Unbind.”

The spells of incineration woven into the very parchment dissolved at that word. Luna smirked at the now shivering unicorn. “What, did you think we didn’t have a counter for such a trick?” She snorted at that. “Faust help me if I wasn’t able to alter or dissolve a spell that I had invented.” She smiled nastily at the now even more frightened look on the mare’s face. “Yes, indeed. Such spells didn’t exist in this form before. I invented them, then let others use them.”

Turning to the lieutenant of her troops, she went on. “Please escort Miss May to where we’re holding the rest of them. I’ll be along presently to discuss her future employment options.” The Guards-stallion nodded, him and the other Guards-ponies leading the thoroughly cowed unicorn away. Gathering up the evidence, which looked at cursory examination to merely affirm what she had already learned, the Princess of the Night snorted. This only serves to further confirm what both the mayor and Twilight has told me. Now I have the pleasant joy of telling Sister ‘I told you so!’ Snorting in amusement, Princess Luna teleported the scrolls back to Canterlot, before following them.


Within several minutes of the explosion, Twilight and her friends were on-hoof to assess the damage. Twilight was beside herself with anger. She didn’t think they’d be that gautchè in putting runes on every jail cell. Noticing that there was somepony missing, Twilight’s stomach fell. “Um, where’s Blueblood?”

The others looked around in confusion, then concern. Their concern turned to horror when one of the local Guards-ponies flew down. “Princess Twilight! I tried to stop him, I really did! Blueblood ran off into the Everfree!”

The look of horror on her face was replaced by one of intense determination. “Which way did he go corporal?” she asked the Nocturne pony. The Guards-stallion pointed to the end that was south-west from Ponyville, a part that led deeper than where the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters was located. Her feelings of dread intensifying, Twilight looked towards her friends. “Girls, I have to organize a search party for him. Can I count on you all to help?”

The others all looked at their friend. The expression on her muzzle wasn’t one she’d ever worn before; however, it was one that was intimately familiar to them. It was the face of a princess worried about one of her Little Ponies. The girls all nodded, one of the number feeling the same thing in spite of herself.

Twilight teleported an ornate chest that all the girls recognized. “I know what you’re thinking girls.” She opened it, and showed them the torcs and crown that used to hold the Elements of Harmony. “I’ve enchanted each of these with a locator spell, and a ‘hearthstone’ teleport spell. They’re designed to respond to the magic of us, and the Tree of Harmony itself.” She then pointed to the forest. “They’ll only work here though, as the spells require proximity to both my palace, and the Tree.” The girls nodded as they all took the one that matched their cutie mark.

Twilight called one of the other Guards-stallions to her. “Corporal, get who you can to make a sweep of the parts surrounding the Castle.” Pointing her head up, Twilight sent a flare towards the sky. It burst into a spiral-shaped mark. “Zecora will see that, so get in touch with her as well. Nopony knows the forest better than her.’ Turning to the other corporal, Twilight continued with her orders. “Corporal Bright Feathers, I want you to go with Fluttershy. You and her are going to explore the part of the forest closer to town.” She smiled at Fluttershy, who sighed in relief.

“Pinkie, I want you to go with the sergeant here,” she pointed at one of the other Guards-ponies present, “and explore towards the west where Blueblood went. Rarity, you and AJ should take the south end. Rainbow Dash and I will take the eastern part. If you find him, either tap the crystal on your necklace, or send a flare.” The last was directed towards Rarity, and the unicorn corporal. “If you get in danger, grab your partner if incapacitated, and double tap the crystal while saying ‘take me home.’ That will trigger the hearth charm.”

The girls were shocked to see Scrolls walking towards them, with her assistant Amethyst Star nearby. “Ah, Mayor. I need you to go get Spike and have him send this letter,”-here she levitated a scroll towards the mayor, who took it in her hoof- “to Princess Luna.” Getting ready to send everypony off, she heard the mayor’s assistant mutter to herself. “I don’t see why we have to waste resources to go after a good-for-nothing stallion like that.” Twilight turned, and got in the young unicorn’s muzzle.

“And just where do you get the idea that he’s not worth saving?” She snarled in anger. “No matter how inept, or what he has done to me personally, or to anypony else, the fact is that there are things in that forest I wouldn’t let ponies like Sombra, or even Chrysalis face.” Turning to the mayor, who was shaking her head in disbelief, she continued. “Scrolls, I think you need to better educate your assistants on what is right and wrong.” She looked at the cowed unicorn meaningfully. “Let’s go girls; we’ve got a pony to save.”

So the girls all took off, placing themselves in danger in order to save a pony from himself. Little did they know, things were about to get more complicated in their little town than they had ever been....


Author's Note:

Ugh, this chapter was a BEAST to write.

Sorry about all the exposition folks, but it was kind of unavoidable. I really needed to establish some of the magic used in my little AU, as it will help explain things for other fics I plan on writing.

Also, a few things to point out. 'Bit signs' is the same as 'dollar signs' as an expression.
In addition, I took some of the ideas for magic from other fics I've read. I just tweaked it a little. I did this because I've never liked the idea of spells being limited to just unicorns. If that were the case, how do pegasi throw lightning bolts around?

For more information on this chapter in particular, read my blog post. I go into more detail there.