• Published 19th Jun 2015
  • 2,940 Views, 60 Comments

Light's Rising, Shadow's Fall - jwizard



In the distant past, an evil king threatened all of Equus with a power play that was barely thwarted. A young polychromatic-maned pegasus would come to find her own connection to this lost battle, as she would rise to defend a pony close to her heart

  • ...
7
 60
 2,940

Chapter Three: The Fall and Rise of An Unwanted Prince Part Two

Equestria, Everfree Forest, 03-11-05 A.N.M.,1:42 AM (After Nightmare Moon)


Blueblood was scared.

Never in all of his fairly young life had he ever thought he’d be involved in something like this. After the explosion took down the wall of his prison cell, Blueblood was raised from his quivering state by one of the local Guards-ponies. He had been told that he was being escorted to a holding area, and not to worry, as they had been expecting something like this.




“Expecting an explosion? What kind of one horse town is Ponyville anyway?” he had asked the Guards-stallion in a squeaky voice.

“Nothing like that, Blueblood. Just another pony who thinks they can run roughshod over the rules,” the stallion had replied gruffly.

As he was being led away, Blueblood saw the forest in the distance. He knew what it was, and had heard most of the horror stories surrounding the place. Probably just plebeians making up horseapples. I need to get out of here, and that looks like the best way to go. I’ll show my dear aunt- and that miserable excuse for a council -just what it means to mess with Prince Blueblood!

When they got close enough to the forest, Blueblood lit his horn, firing off a flash spell. It was unexpected enough to blind his erstwhile guard, being that the guard in question was a Nocturne pony. Because he wasn’t considered much of a threat, Blueblood hadn’t been hobbled. “Wait! Halt!”

As his eyes cleared, the young guard saw Blueblood running towards the forest. “Wait Blueblood! That forest is dangerous, especially at night!” Before his vision was recovered enough to where he could fly after the hapless stallion, he was hit by a entangling rope spell. The dirty trick fouled up his wings, causing him precious seconds as he activated the counter-spell runes in his armor. “I knew I should’ve triggered those,” he grumbled, before chasing after the errant former noble.

The shadows in this part of the forest were too deep for him to penetrate. Sniffing the air, he smelled unicorn mana on the winds. Realizing that Blueblood had likely used either a disguise spell or some form of invisibility, the stallion groaned.

“Horseapples! I better go find the princess. She’s not gonna like this, but the forest is too large for just one pony.” The stallion flew off towards the center of the town, in order to inform the princess and mayor- as well as his commanding officer -where Blueblood was now.

“No matter that he’s an idiot, or that he insulted my princess, it’s still my duty to protect him,” the guard said to himself as he made his way towards where Princess Twilight and the others were.



So it was that Blueblood found himself running from the law, trying to get somewhere else besides this one-horse town full of plebeian ponies. Little did Blueblood know, this was both the worse, and best decision he could have ever made. He was about to find out that this forest was every bit as dangerous as rumor had it…


The deep shadows of the forest were off-putting to both Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Neither one of them had ever been this far into the Everfree Forest, as it was far more dangerous than the part nearer the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters. Even though the Tree of Harmony had calmed the forest down somewhat, there were still some areas where dangerous creatures lived. Things like Cragodiles and Timberwolves were more prevalent in the deeper parts of the forest.

On top of that fact was some of the more disturbing reports that both Zecora and the few Guard that patrolled had been giving Twilight. It seemed that lately, creatures that had not been seen in hundreds of years had been making an appearance. While rumors of darklings and shadowlings had always existed, nopony had ever seen any since before Luna fell to her Nightmare.

Rainbow looked at the deep shadows around her; the gloom was barely penetrated by Twilight’s Light spell. Normally, the prismatic-maned pegasus would be hovering; however, both her still confused feelings and a practical understanding of combat kept her from doing so at the moment.

Another fact was this deep sense of overprotectiveness that she was feeling. Why she should be feeling a desire to find and protect a pony she heartily despised was beyond her understanding. Twilight having those desires made sense; she was an alicorn, and the instinct to protect her Little Ponies was strong, even those that she wanted little to do with.

What Rainbow Dash was feeling now was comparable to wanting to protect her friends- Twilight in particular - yet, it was different at the same time. It wasn’t personal, yet a part of her wanted to do all she could to find and keep Blueblood safe. Even guilty of being more than a big boob wouldn’t have made things any easier. Rainbow simply couldn’t understand it.

Further musing was cut short by a high-pitched male scream a little further south from their position. Twilight turned her frightened, yet determined muzzle towards Rainbow. Pointing a wingtip in the direction of the scream, Twilight drew Rainbow’s attention to a trampled bush. A piece of fiber from the cloak Blueblood had been wearing was caught in it.

“It looks like he came this way,” Twilight whispered to her friend. “We should hurry.”

Rainbow nodded, scared more for her friend now than she had ever been.

The two of them walked even further into the forest, neither one noticing the glow around Rainbow’s wings; a glow far more reminiscent of unicorn magic than that of a pegasus…

Elsewhere in Equestria...


Clever May looked dejected as she sat at the table next to the commander of the local Lunar Guard troop.

Everything that she had worked for over the last seven months was undone. A fortune in bits, as well as mine rights, was lost. This was supposed to be enough for me to be able to provide for me and my own, she thought glumly. Papa always warned me to not get too involved into a plan. I just wish I knew how Luna managed to dissolve my runes; I’ve never heard of a spell like that before.

May looked up as the princess of the hour entered. She had several things that she was levitating; a tray of tea and biscotti, as well as several folders and a projection crystal. She sat all of this down at the place across from May.

Pouring a cup of the tea, Luna levitated it over to the depressed unicorn, along with one of the treats. May sullenly took the offered foodstuffs into her own telekinetic field.

Luna cleared her throat before beginning to speak in a calm, quiet voice. “Well, Miss Marigold, it seems as if you’ve managed to dig yourself into a rather deep pit.” She smirked at the startled expression on the pony's muzzle, one that turned to brief anger before settling back to the glum expression she had previously. “Yes, I’m well aware of your full name, as I have been aware of the names of nearly every conspirator since the third month of our operation.”

Princess Luna opened the top folder, which showed a dossier with May’s- whose real name was Clever Marigold -picture on it. She slid a paper from under it, which had a list of the charges being filed against her. Blanching, she realized that there was a charge of conspiracy to commit sabotage amongst them, as well as one of gross voluntary pony-slaughter. “B-but I-I wasn’t involved in anything t-that killed anypony,” she stuttered, shivering violently.

For the first time, Luna’s expression became less neutral. “Indeed, I’m sure you weren’t; we have evidence to support that. However, unless certain steps are taken,” here, the princess slid another piece of paper towards the hapless unicorn, “there’s little you can do to mitigate these charges.”

Luna opened another of the folders, which contained something curious- an application for enrollment into the Lunar Guard branch of the Royal Equestrian Guard. Another was a confession form. The last item was a waiver of guilt document. May blanched at the last one.

“These outline what options you have,” Luna said, her voice taking on an even softer edge. “I’ve spoken at length with my sister, and she agrees that we can bypass the courts if you so wish. However, you simply cannot be left to your own devices.” She turned to the Guards-stallion standing by the door. “Please dim the lights Corporal.” The unicorn nodded, using his magic to dim all of the lights, as well as locking and sealing the door.

Luna turned the projection crystal over in her hooves, before activating it with a burst of magic. The scene that it threw up against the wall would live in Marigold’s dreams for some time afterwards…


The thrashing pony on the bed was instantly recognizable to Marigold. It was the head of Hoofington Mining Corporation, one of the conglomerate that had hired her and her gang to start mining operations under Ponyville. His hooves were tied down, and both a magic suppressor and limiter ring were on his horn. Even with these, however, he was still shockingly able to use his telekinesis to levitate the orderlies against the wall.

Other ponies advanced on the not-so-helpless pony, only to back off as deep shadows lifted from his form. A pony priest nearby surrounded everypony present with a nimbus of glowing golden light, preserving them from possession. However, this protection began to fail as the shadows deepened. Panic set in, as they all realized that the nightmare was about to get worse.

“Calm yourselves.”

The words spoken by the alicorn who had just entered had an immediate effect on all present. For the orderlies, guards-ponies, and the priest, the voice brought the calm safety of a peaceful night. For the possessed pony, they brought relief to a tormented mind.

Princess Luna walked calmly towards the unicorn; her horn glowed with a nimbus of silver light, rather than the dark azure glow that normally heralded her magic. Approaching the tormented pony, she spoke in a soft- yet powerful -voice.

“Speak your name demons, that I may know who I am banishing.”

The words that Luna spoke were as powerful as if she spoke them in the Royal Canterlot Voice. The pony on the bed writhed in pain; nonetheless, the power of command in Luna’s voice and the blessed moonlight she was channeling into the room were more than enough to compel them to obey.

We are Ire! We are Envy! We are Greed!

“Ah,” said Luna. “I take it then that you were involved in this to somehow hurt Princess Twilight.” The pony laughed mockingly.

Banish us, fallen one, and you will never learn the truth!

“We already have, from elsewhere,” Luna said softly.

Do nothing, failed one! This one is ours by right of the greed, ire, and envy in his heart! We lay claim to him, and you cannot have him back!

Luna’s eyes glowed a bright white at this, and her horn grew painfully bright. The moonlight in the room caused the shadows surrounding the pony to writhe in pain; before anypony could blink, three shapes congealed from said shadows. Taking on a twisted mockery of the pony lying on the bed, they made to escape-- dragging a chain of mingled light and shadow with them.

A solid barrier of moonlight halted them. A conjured blade of pure sunlight severed the chain linking the demons to the inert pony. Writhing in pain, they lashed out at the alicorn. Finding the wounds in her mind and soul healed with forgiveness, they were unable to find purchase.

One pointed at the priest. The others moved to take control of one whose power was greater than even Luna’s due to his faith.

“No!” A radiant shield of pure moonlight surrounded all of the ponies present; thick bands of sunlight pulsed from within the shield. Shrieking in pain, the demons turned to reclaim their victim, him being the only option they had to escape. Thick chains of moonsteel surrounded the hooves of each one, binding them to the walls and floor.

Luna’s form began to glow. Battle armor similar to what she had worn as Nightmare Moon began to surround her; the difference was its colors. Dark blue and silver highlights were on the plates covering her chest, cannon, and flanks. Her cutie mark was embossed on the plates where they hung on her flank. Silver greaves surrounded each hoof, with smaller versions of her cutie mark embossed on each one.

An elegantly crafted helm appeared on Luna’s head. A nose guard jutted down her snout, leaving the rest of her muzzle free. The helm was adorned with six jewels along the top ridge; each one was a different color- orange, pink, yellow, blue, and red, with a larger purple gem nearer the center-- these were the same as the coat colors of six of the ponies Luna kept close to her heart. The plume was a mixture of pink, white, and dark azure, signifying those she shared sisterhood with. The spike in front of her horn was white, with a purple base; its purpose was to do honor to those that were Equestria’s protectors.

Her eyes still glowing brightly, Luna advanced on the cowering demons. An elegant blade appeared in a flash of dark azure nearby. Similarly fashioned after her armor, this blade had few adornments. The only ones present were a gem embossed with the Crest of Equestria, and the pommel was fashioned into an exact representation of Luna’s cutie mark.

Luna pointed Moonstrike at the demons. An aura made up of both moonlight and darkness surrounded the blade. An intense feeling of pressure surrounded everypony present; it was as if the very Gates of Tartarus itself were pressing on them.

What happened next brought home to everypony present- and those that were watching -the sheer power that alicorns commanded. In a voice similar to her Royal Canterlot voice- though nowhere near as loud -Luna uttered a phrase that had not been heard on Equus since the last time creatures of shadow walked freely.

“By Solaris’ Light, Selene’s Purity, Serenity’s Radiance, Gaia’s Love, Dusk’s Honor, and the Heart of Harmony, I banish thee and your kin to the depths of Tartarus. Let the seals remain so long as the Power of Friendship remains in the meanest of the creatures who call Equus home!” A shimmering gateway opened near the south wall; shrieking, the demons were pulled towards it. A powerful concussive wave of force came from Luna’s horn. This caused every other demon of Ire, Envy, and Greed in Hoofington to be pulled towards the Gate. The blessings Luna called upon severed the ties that said demons had to their victims, most of whom were incarcerated at the nearby prison.

Afterwards, the pony on the bed settled down weakly, before fluttering his eyes open. His gaze settled onto the Alicorn of the Night. Softly, he said a phrase that would forever work its way into Luna’s heart.

“Thank-you, Princess. I’m sorry for what my madness has caused.”


Princess Luna turned off the projection, having shown everything she needed to. Clever Marigold shivered in real fear at what she saw. It was one thing to see something like that; however, her unique connection to the events made it so that she was actually there as it happened. Luna looked at the shivering unicorn with real sympathy. She knew that there was more than just greed fueling Marigold’s actions. “May,” she began softly, breaking into the tense silence, “if it were up to me, I’d give you a full pardon, as it’s clear that you never truly meant to harm anypony.”

She turned to one of the other reports in the third folder. “However, there is still much that needs to be addressed. Under demonic influence, some of those of your gang had laid runes that would have leveled the homes and businesses of the Bearers. Since you were the one giving them direct orders, you would have been guilty of both murder and treason had those plans come to fruition.”

The princess frowned. “Treason to such a degree is one of only three crimes Equestria still has capital punishment for. By the High Law of the Founders, you and the other lead conspirators would have been beheaded publicly in the square in Canterlot.” Before Marigold could utter an objection, Luna continued. “Yes, I know what you’re about to say. There are the courts. Attempted murder of national heroes- such as the Element Bearers and a Crown Princess -constitute treason. Such a thing is handled by representatives chosen by the essences of the Founding Six, and by myself and Princess Celestia.”

Luna took a moment to smile gently at the unicorn. “I know, however, that you yourself weren’t involved in that part of the plot.” She got up from her seat, and proceeded to hug the now sobbing pony in front of her. “The obvious love you have for your friends and family back in Las Pegasus, as well as your devotion to both Selene and Gaia kept you safe. And this in spite of the effort of those demons to infest you.” She then lifted Marigold’s head up, in order to look sternly into the unicorn’s eyes. “However, we didn’t manage to get all of those involved, and we’re missing details. Something I think you can help with.”

The Princess pointed at the application for her Lunar Guard. “I will admit to having my eye on you for quite some time,” she said. A mischievous smirk was on her muzzle as she looked at the pony nestled against her chest. “I’m only offering the other options to you because my sister begged me to. She’s trying to appease the Council, who are all in bits because of the traitors found in my sister’s Court.” Seeing the look of consideration on the mare’s face, Luna let the pony go so she could examine the perk package attached to the application.

Marigold looked over what was being offered. One passage had her blinking, before a smirk appeared on her muzzle. “You’ve already got them in protective custody, with new identities already I’d imagine.” Luna shared her smirk. “Well, I can’t say I’ve never considered being a government agent before.” She frowned. “What assurances do I have that the slate will be wiped clean once I serve whatever time you want me to serve?”

Luna frowned. “There will be some time that you will have to serve. What that will entail is largely how deep this conspiracy goes. As for your attempted actions on Ponyville, a conditional pardon will be made if you sign with me.” Her look turned stern. “If you want it to be confirmed completely, you will have to swear yourself to Princess Twilight as well.” Seeing the look of horror that appeared on the unicorn’s face, Luna chuckled. “Oh, don’t worry; you’ll find that for her, a Pinkie Promise to never hurt Ponyville or her friends again will be all that she will require.” She then giggled, a sound that was totally unlike her elegant exterior. “As a temporary resident of Ponyville, I’m sure you’re aware that nopony ever breaks a Pinkie Promise.”

A faint, but clear “Nopony!” was heard by all assembled.

Marigold looked stunned. “Well, that happened.” Shaking her head, the unicorn pulled the application towards her. Noticing that it was already filled out, she signed it with a flourish.

Luna looked at her new recruit in approval. “Good choice, My Little Pony. I know you will do all you can to repay the wrong you’ve done to help others. Let Us shoulder the burden with you.” She gathered everything up, preparing to leave. “Commander, see to it that the new recruit is taken to the barracks. I will be present in the morrow to swear her in.” She yawned loudly. “I need some rest before I have to set the moon. Good Morrow, My Little Ponies.” Giving her new recruit another hug, she teleported away.

“Fillies and Gentle-colts,” said Marigold in an awed voice, “that is the perfect example of a true Princess.” She then smiled. “I think I’m gonna love working for her.” She followed her future commanding officer to her quarters, feeling happier than she had in a long time.


Far to the north, a scream of both pain and anger was heard, as yet another plan was cut off. Yet the dark presence knew that the newest princess was still in danger, alone with only a pegasus to protect her…


Meanwhile, somewhere in the Everfree forest…


Blueblood was quickly finding out that his decision to escape into the Everfree forest was not one of the better ones he had made. Not only were the rumors of Timberwolves true- as the charred piles of wood he left behind a few moments ago would attest -there were also cockatrices present.

Coupled with all of this was the fact that the totally unfamiliar surroundings were confusing him. Blueblood’s special talent- navigation of paths wherever they were found -could only help him in situations he was familiar with.

He was dirty, hungry, and thirsty.

Even more harder to admit to even himself though, was that he was lost.

Blueblood sat down next to a gnarled tree near the path- such as it was -that he’d been following. The deepening shadows around him had become even more oppressive than they were supposed to naturally. On top of all of this, he was out of ideas.

Though Blueblood was no slouch with defensive spells- like the two he had used on the hapless Guard-stallion -he lacked the more offensive capabilities of other ponies. He was first and foremost a noble- or at least he was, once -and a business pony. That was part of the reason he had hoped to court Twilight Sparkle in his younger years, no matter what his mother had to say about her and her family.

With a unicorn as powerful as Twilight once was, he could have at last secured a much better future for him and the rest of his family. Not only that, it would have finally given him a chance to repair the damage that prior generations of inept nobles had done to Equestria. Even after learning that she was one of them wouldn’t have dissuaded him all that much. She was still powerful, and there were ways to ensure that she was properly taken care of once she had provided an heir. And then too, he could have had trained battle-unicorns to protect his interests better.

Blueblood shivered; it was getting far colder than it should have been, even with it being early spring. His breath started to steam out of his nostrils. Chills went up and down his spine, and a sharp cold pain throbbed in the base of his horn. He started to shiver out of fear now; his father’s mother had been a superstitious pony. Ordinarily, the things that were happening to him that spoke of ghosts- or worse -would be something that he would have normally scoffed at. With everything else that had happened to him so far though, he was far more inclined to believe her now.

Especially since some of the deeper shadows had both eyes, and claws. Blueblood looked again. Yes, three shadows coming closer towards him were vaguely pony-shaped, width red glowing eyes, and vicious looking spikes on their forelegs.

Blueblood realized that now was a good time to scream. So, he did so.

“AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!”


Ever since they had heard the scream, both Twilight and Rainbow Dash had been moving as swiftly as they could. The dark forest was hindering them however, even with Twilight’s horn-light spell to light the way.

Rainbow noticed that there were smoldering piles of twigs in various places along the train they came upon once they had cleared the bushes. “Twilight, are those branches what I think they are?” she asked her friend.

Twilight stopped for a moment, both to orient their location with a basic ‘find lost pony’ spell-- and to answer Rainbow’s question. “Yes, they are.” Bending closer, Twilight picked one up, and saw the residue of foreign magic along one side. “That’s odd. Why are they giving off shadow magic?” Twilight looked closer at the branch. “Yes, there’s faint traces of shadow energies all over this thing.”

Rainbow noticed a branch next to one of the piles was glowing softly. That’s weird. How am I seeing that glow? Rainbow picked it up with her left wing primaries, noticing that it was cedar-wood. “Twilight, are you seeing this?”

Another scream made them look in the direction they had been heading. Rainbow was about to follow her, when something out of a nightmare dove from the treeline right at the alicorn. “Twilight, look out!” Twilight turned, then froze in terror.

The fully-formed shadowling grinned a toothy, savage smile as it saw its target right where it wanted it. Without thinking, Rainbow swung the branch at the creature; said branch was now glowing brightly.

As it hit the side of the wraith, the monster screamed in pain, before bursting apart. Before it could coalesce again, Twilight was able to shake the shadow-induced fear by summoning moonlight into her horn. Summoning a crystal staff, Twilight sent a bolt of pure moonlight at the congealing shadows. The light burned them away.

Twilight was about to move on when she spotted four more shadowlings surrounding the two of them. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed that Rainbow Dash had a brightly glowing object hovering next to her; however, it didn’t fully register at that moment.

Once more calling moonlight into her horn, Twilight began to defend herself against the strikes of the dark creatures. One of the ones to her immediate left fired several shadow bolts at her; a shield of love energy blocked each one, before a strike to the head rendered it into motes.

Two of the creatures ran to either side of the clearing, while the third one swung a whip-based energy bolt at Twilight. Thinking quickly, she sheathed her staff in an aura of positive energy before thickening the pool of energy in its tip. The energy whip wrapped around the staff, before being absorbed into it. The wraith followed soon after, screeching its way to Tartarus as it did.

Before Twilight could catch her breath however, two more came from the treeline; they had been summoned by the others. Whips surrounded her hooves, and a band of shadow energy lashed towards her horn.

Before either of these things could fully hamper her however, a burst of moonlight-laced wind ripped the newcomers to bits. The other two made to head back into the deep shadows. Before they were able to, a whirling dervish of branch, hoof, and wing ripped them both in half.

Rainbow came up next to Twilight. Her wings were fully extended, and glowed with moonlight. Arcane Wing? Since when did she study Arcane Wing?! Twilight shook off her confusion when she realized what Rainbow intended. Nodding with a fierce grin, Twilight crossed her crystal staff with Rainbow’s cedar branch-- which on closer examination was more along the shape of a stave itself.

Holding the two weapons aloft, Twilight and Rainbow both shouted an old prayer:

“By Selene’s Grace and Gaia’s Love, let this place be purged!”

All of the shadowlings and shadow wraiths in the immediate area were blasted by the sacred energies of two ancient spirits. Screaming, they all fled, save those that had a certain pony surrounded.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash both collapsed, taking a momentary breather. The cedar stave floating next to Rainbow pointed off to the southwest. “I think it's trying to say he’s that way,” Rainbow said in slight disbelief. “Huh, Grandpa Prism always did say Moonlight Aura had a mind of its own.” She started going in that direction, Twilight following her.

Noticing something peculiar about the wooden stave, Twilight realized that Rainbow wasn’t using wind currents to hold it up. It might have been something that once belonged to a priest; it has the look of hoof-craft about it. Odd, though; how is Rainbow tapping into the magic? Twilight shrugged a little as they made their way towards where Twilight could now sense Blueblood.


Blueblood had never been more scared in his life. He would have terrors about this night for the rest of his life, which bid fair to be short.

The creatures, numbering around twelve, had surrounded him. Had he been paying closer attention, he would have realized that the gnarled tree he was leaning against was surrounded by a pair of young cedar trees. This was keeping them from attacking.

Another creature came into the clearing. Blueblood recognized this one from history in school; a shadow wraith, priest class-- the rarest, and most dangerous of all shadowlings. A spell-caster of skill, shadow wraiths had been feared in the olden days, since objects of protection didn’t work against magic unless blessed to do so.

Snarling at its underlings, the wraith gestured at the hapless pony. None of them were willing to go any closer to the line of branches. Snarling even more, the wraith made to move forward, only to hiss in pain as the area past the line caused the creature to smoke.

The wraith shifted one of its front forehooves into a claw, and conjured a ball of fire. Not wraith or shadow fire, but real flame. Grinning madly, the wraith made to throw the fire at the leftmost tree. Before it was able to do so however, a glowing stave made up of blessed cedar-wood whipped across its shoulders. Shrieking in pain, the wraith turned around, only to see another pony enter the clearing.

Rainbow Dash held aloft her makeshift weapon, scowling at the creature that was standing before her. Since she was outside the treeline, the others made to surround her and their leader. Muttering imprecations under its breath- not realizing that there were two that could understand what was being said -the wraith made a gesture towards the shadows surrounding the pegasus.

“Not happening, mis-born.” A flaring bolt of moonlight flashed out of the tree line, striking the now hapless wraith in the center of its head. Shrieking as it dissolved, the wraith waved frantically at its fellows before disappearing. The other shadowlings started to attack en mass.

Three of them were cut to ribbons by a whirring staff of crystal, while two more were rendered into motes of shadow by bolts of moonlight. Three on the leading edge of the clearing made to move into the shadows, while another summoned another fireball.

The intensity of the shadow energy was enough to weaken the base blessing that Zecora had placed on all of the cedar groves in the Everfree. Noticing this, the one with the fireball grinned savagely, launching it into the branches of the rightmost tree. It paid for that, getting a strike across the head from Rainbow’s stave.

Rushing forward, Rainbow placed her left forehoof on the tree that was burning. Her wings blazing, Rainbow struck the ground in front of the hapless stallion with the stave. Both trees began to glow as brightly as her stave.

Those weren’t the only ones to do so. Other groves of cedar-wood and sandalwood began to glow brightly. This served to purify the shadows leading into the grove, keeping more from being summoned.

Having dealt with two of the shadowlings that were heading to the shadows surrounding the glade, Twilight turned her attention to where Blueblood was cowering. The five shadowlings left were bunched together. Shadows pooling near them demonstrated that they were about to call something worse.

“Twilight, we need to go, NOW!” Rainbow yelled at her friend in frustration. Twilight used her telekinesis to grab the stave Rainbow had been fighting with. Using her horn, Twilight sent up the ‘pony found’ flare that all Guards-ponies were taught. Placing a hoof on Blueblood, and a wing around Rainbow- noticing a blush on the pegasus’ muzzle as she did so -Twilight tapped the crystal around her neck thrice while saying, “Take us home!” A bright flash heralded a three-party teleport; the version Twilight used was cast in such a way to use the blessing of moonlight.

The rest of the mis-born creatures were burst apart. The energies of the teleport reacted positively with the blessing Rainbow Dash called. This banished the rest of the shadowlings that were following the other parties.


Equestria, Ponyville, 03-11-05 A.N.M., 4:49 AM (After Nightmare Moon)


An exhausted group of ponies were gathered around the dining table in the Palace of Friendship. One of the number was a pony that would normally not be found among this group; the hapless former Prince Blueblood.

Blueblood found the present company rather more tolerable than he would have normally. Though the mares had all had varying degrees of disgust on their faces when they had all seen him sprawled at the hooves of his now favorite princess, the look of sheer relief he sported soothed their ruffled feathers.

A round of apologies, and a letter to his lawyer in Canterlot soothed the righteous indignation of Ponyville’s mayor. Blueblood promised more than just aid to help with the rebuilding of the stockade; he also promised enough bits to give every Guards-pony involved a nice bonus- Ponyville supported the local Guard with taxes, so the aid was welcomed. Whether it was a guilt gift or not.

Having saved his life- and saved him from himself -Blueblood now considered both Princess Twilight and Rainbow Dash as his personal heroines. This caused some consternation, as he was still on the fence as far as her suitability as a royal.

One dirty look that he continued to get had him worried though. The unicorn Rarity continued to give him the evil eye whenever he looked in her direction. He tried to think what he could have done to earn her ire, besides the fracas of his misguided escape. He blanched when he realized what it was; his behavior towards both her and Applejack at the last Grand Galloping Gala he attended.

Blueblood cleared his throat. “Well, I feel that there are a few things that I should apologize for,” he said in a glum voice. Turning to Applejack, he went on. “Miss Applejack, I wish to extend my apologies about the uncouth statements I made towards the merchandise you had provided the the Gala awhile back. It was unseemly of me, since I have recently found out that Sweet Apple Acres’ cider is the number one best soft seller on the market.” Reaching into his coat pocket, he pulled out a notebook. “Ah yes, here we are. Barrels of Sweet Apple Acres last sold in the Farmer’s Market in Mareago for 384 bits a barrel last quarter.” Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, Blueblood continued. “I had purchased twelve barrels, intending to determine what made it so good.”

Applejack looked at the stallion with a bit of shock on her face. “Well, ah, ya see, we don’t make enough cider during cider season on account of it only being my brother and Ah doing all the apple bucking.” She looked sheepish. “Ah’ve learned the value of asking fer help, and do so. However, mah brother has been getting on my back about hiring some help on account of out-of-town sales.”

Blueblood smiled. His talent was letting him know that here was an opportunity to pay back a lot of ponies for his earlier actions. ‘Well, Miss, I’m sure I can provide some assistance on that part.” Here he frowned. “However, it will take some time, as there are few ponies I really trust to work as liaison.” He thought for a minute, then smiled. “Of course if you will permit me Princess Twilight, I can write a letter to Auntie Celestia. I can ask her if she will appoint a liaison from your own house to oversee some of my more critical businesses.” He chucked. “I do have some assets with me however, enough to hire some workers for my new partner.”

Applejack blushed at this. Ah shoot, He done did a good thing. Ah think that we’ve been overly harsh towards him.

Blueblood turned towards Rarity, who was wearing a more neutral look on her muzzle instead of the slight sneer she had been sporting. “Miss Rarity, your designs are all the rage in Canterlot and Manehatten these days.” He then looked shamefaced. “I’d like to apologize to you for my uncouth treatment that night as well.” He looked down at his drink for a moment, then continued. “A great deal of that was an act, as it’s somewhat expected of me to act a certain way. Plus, it keeps the business sharks thinking I’m a boob, which is an advantage when I part them from their bits.” He grinned slyly at this.

“I’d like to be able to offer you assistance as well, in the form of funds to open stores in both Canterlot and Manehatten.” Blueblood’s smile grew. “I’d also like to assist in finding ponies with your unique flair that would love to train at the hooves of such a beautiful mare as you. I only wish I’d seen it all those years ago.”

All of this was unhinging Twilight, who had been suffering a great deal of backlash from this pony over the last few months. Seeing the look on Twilight’s muzzle, Blueblood made to make full apologies to her as well.

“Princess Twilight,” he said, a sad look on his muzzle, “no words save the truth, and my future actions can ever repay for what I’ve put you through.” He sighed. “I have some personal issues with rejection, and shouldn’t have held your refusals of my suit against you for so long. I should have seen it for what it really was; discomfort with a stallion trying to play politics with a mare’s love life.” He scowled. “The rest of it was just that; politics.”

Blueblood looked at Twilight with a concerned gaze. “I will admit that many of my attacks against you politically were unwarranted; however, most of them weren’t my personal beliefs. Yes, I did consider you unsuitable for your title,” he interjected to forestall a heated remark from the alicorn, “but that was because of personal issues that should have no bearing on the matter at hoof.” He smiled sadly. “Princess Twilight, I’m going to be frank with you. Many of the nobles, both young and old, are not at all pleased that there is yet another alicorn princess standing in they way of pony rule in Equestria.” He shrugged his forehooves. “Some of what I’ve stated is true; you’re young, almost too young to have the power that you have.”

Blueblood then had a sheepish, pensive expression on his muzzle. “There is one thing that didn’t occur to me for a long time.” He looked at Twilight. “You never asked for any of this, and have done all you can to insist that ponies treat you as one of them.” He sighed again. “I was pandering more my peer’s feelings on the matter more than my own, since your living in Ponyville negates most of what the other nobles can do to you anyway.”

Twilight looked at the pony that had long been a thorn in her side. Something different, a look in his eyes spoke of a change of heart. She decided to clarify something for him, something that had driven home her irritation at the noble-ponies. “Blueblood, your statement about alicorns being in the way of pony rule makes little sense.” She waved a hoof at the mayor. “Since I became an alicorn, I’ve only interfered in the running of Ponyville when there was a real threat to the town.”

Twilight looked at the stallion severely. “If you can actually see it, much of the laws in Equestria are written by ponies.” She sighed in exasperation. “Every time Princess Celestia makes a ruling that steps on the hooves of some noble, they get bent all out of shape about ‘alicorns controlling everything’, when she’s only forced to do so because of some greedy noble trying to get their hooves on bits or land that doesn’t belong to them.”

Twilight looked at the stallion sitting at her table. As irritated as she had been towards this particular pony, the attitude he had displayed since her and Rainbow had saved him made her realize that she was overly judgemental towards somepony that was no real threat to her. His comments about her orientation were nothing more than what she was already used to; while they still hurt, it wasn’t enough to continue to hold a grudge towards him. Twilight began to see the wisdom in Celestia asking her to assist Blueblood in proving himself; he was related to the princess after all.

Twilight yawned loudly before looking at the clock on the wall. “Yikes, it’s that early?! Everypony, I think we should all turn in.” She waved her horn at the table, muttering an incantation under her breath as she did so. The dishes all vanished, to be cleaned sometime later that day-- likely by Spike. “There’s a lot that we have to do to repair what the conspirators had damaged, and I need sleep before I can formulate a report to Princess Luna.”

Twilight turned towards Blueblood. “While originally I was going to send you to the halfway house prepared for you,” she began with a somewhat sheepish grin, “your apologies to myself and my friends made me see that you’re making an effort to change. You can use the guest room that Mayor Scrolls was using while her doppelganger was masquerading as her.” Blueblood nodded in thanks.

While the others- save for one -left to return to their homes, Twilight escorted the former noble-stallion to the guest quarters. Blueblood nodded his head in thanks before opening one of the doors with his magic.

“If you need to clean yourself up,” Twilight said, “there’s a bathroom attached to the suite. Sleep well.” She paused, then said more. “I’ll let you borrow Spike to send word to the princess and my parents later today. I suggest you ask my father for a liaison. Good Morrow, Bluey.”

She hasn’t called me that since we were foals, when she first became Aunt Celestia’s student. “Good Morrow, Princess Twilight. And thank-you for saving me from myself.”

Turning towards her quarters, Twilight noticed that Rainbow was following her. Raising an eyebrow, Twilight looked at the prismatic-maned pegasus.

Flushing slightly, Rainbow looked at one of the other guest rooms. “Can I crash here, Twi? It’s only gonna be a few hours before I have to get up to help move clouds.”

Twilight facehoofed. “Rainbow Dash, you don’t have to ask every time.” She pointed at one of the rooms, which had an embossed engraving of Rainbow’s cutie mark on it. Rainbow noticed that there were others that had the marks of the other Element Bearers as well. Flushing sheepishly, she walked towards what was obviously her guest bedroom.

As Twilight turned back towards her own quarters, she noticed that one of the doors to Rainbow’s room was being opened by a cerulean glow, not unlike that of a telekinetic aura. Odd. Why is Rainbow moving her door that way? Yawning loudly. Twilight made her way to her bed. I must be more tired than I thought. I’m seeing things.


Twilight couldn’t have been more right; she was seeing things. Little did she know, what she saw was exactly what it was...


Author's Note:

I can hear the groans.

This chapter sorta reflects how I view the world; most out there just need a little crisis to redefine their place in the world.

This isn't going to change Blueblood all that much; he's still a pansy. He'll just drop the act around those he trusts. And yes, he has every intention of going into business with both Rarity and Applejack. No romance there; he's doing it to make reparations, and to turn a profit for all involved.

There's likely to be more Blueblood in the next chapter; however, he'll be more in the background, as I will be finally getting to the meat of everything; why Rainbow Dash is sporting magic other than that of a pegasus.

Credit goes to Wrabbit for Twilight's nickname for Blueblood. Credit also goes to Wrabbit for giving me the idea of redeeming Blueblood.

Credit goes to Law Abiding Pony for the idea for Arcane Wing, as that's where I first saw that type of magic.

Oh, like I'm doing with PSDAL, I have a blog here that will illustrate changes to the story. Any time I make changes, fix plot holes, or things of that nature, I'll post it there. I try to limit Author's Notes as much as I can. That is, unless it's a plot hole I'm particularly keen on pointing out.

Edit July 6th, 2016: changed a minor plot hole in one of the battle scenes. Rainbow Dash did not have a horn yet at this point. I really wish I'd spot these things sooner.