• ...
6
 63
 2,276

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was no sooner than the group of troublemakers stepped off the boat that they had found themselves, and by themselves, meant Fluttershy, causing another incident.

Fluttershy had been caught up in the wonder of Trotterdam and had not been paying attention to where she was going; rather she was looking up and around her at her surroundings. Being from a small town with a small population, this was rarely ever an issue, however Trotterdam was not a small town.

Fluttershy had accidentally walked into someone else on the docks. “Oh I’m so sorry, I... eek!” Fluttershy looked up and squeaked quietly, cowering in fear. She had just walked into a Schäferhund. Fluttershy had never seen one before, but they had been described to her as being like dogs. Fluttershy had assumed that they would look something like Applejack’s dog, Winona. This was not the case entirely.

This Schäferhund was a huge creature, at least three times her size with short, shaggy fur covering his entire body. His ears rose up and were twitching slightly, his eyes were small and beady, and they did not move away from the meek Pegasus that had run into their owner. He was snarling at her, exposing big, sharp, dangerous looking teeth. He was wearing a storm harness with two submachine guns attached to them.

Fluttershy wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball and stop existing. “Please don’t hurt me!” she squeaked.

“So! What do we have here? That’s some pretty impressive hardware you got there buddy!” Vinyl Scratch said as she stepped into view, examining the Schäferhund’s submachine guns, the Schäferhund took one eye off of Fluttershy and began to look at Vinyl. “Maschinenpistole 9?” Vinyl asked.

The Schäferhund did not answer, however he continued to watch her as she circled him.

“Not bad... I suppose, I’ve found that 9mm calibre is a... well, a little on the weak side for me, if you know what I mean. Go big or go home, I always say!” Vinyl said. “If I’m going to use a submachine gun, I need 10mm calibre, minimum. I get it though, 9mm is easier to control, but if you’re using a submachine gun, you need a bit of power behind you, don’t you agree?” Vinyl asked with a grin.

The Schäferhund didn’t answer; he merely continued to watch her.

“Though, personally, I don’t like submachine guns that much at all. I’m more of a revolver kind of girl,” Vinyl said. “11mm magnum all the way, Emerald Ordinance knows how to make a good cartridge... best cartridge in the world. No?”

Once again, the Schäferhund didn’t answer.

“Well. Not exactly the biggest I’ve used. Got my hooves on a nephite 12.7mm pistol once. Now, you want impressive? That’s a good pistol cartridge... too bad they don’t let anybody else have it, am I right?”

The Schäferhund only gave a chuckle, nodding his head and turning towards her.

“You know what you are talking about, pony. I am impressed.” The Schäferhund said, he continued to chuckle and turned and walked away.

Vinyl looked over to Fluttershy and grinned widely at her.

“How did you do that?” Fluttershy asked getting up from the ground.

“He’s a Schäferhund, you just need to know how to speak their language... I’m a little surprised that Trotterdam lets him walk around with his submachine guns though,” Vinyl said.

“Probably because it would be a worse idea trying to take them away from him,” Willoughby said, as he hopped over to them. “Schäferhund see their guns as sort of a status symbol. They get violent when somebody tries to take them away from them... they have no problems with somebody asking them to hand over their ammunition though.”

They group walked out of the harbour and into the city proper, Rainbow Dash told them of the arrangements that Princess Luna had set up for them, they would be meeting up at the hotel for dinner at 1800.

“Oh I cannot believe we are here!” Rarity called out. “Come on Fluttershy! It’s time to go shopping!” Rarity grabbed Fluttershy and enthusiastically dragged the meek Pegasus off towards the city’s fashion district. Likewise, Vinyl Scratch, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Fusilier Willoughby went off in another direction in order to catch up with each other.

Pinkie Pie glanced around, she had been left behind, and she let out a small sigh, and then discovered that she had not been left alone after all. Surprise was sitting a few metres behind her, staring off blankly into space. Pinkie Pie turned around and walked up to her.

Pinkie Pie had not had much of the opportunity to get to know Surprise very well... but there was something about her that bothered Pinkie Pie, it wasn’t anything that she had done to her personally. It was just a sort of feeling that she had.

“Hi!” Pinkie Pie said cheerfully. “Looks like it’s just you and me! What do you want to do!?”

Surprise looked up at Pinkie Pie and studied her silently for a few moments, Pinkie Pie felt slightly uncomfortable having those huge, blood red eyes, trained on her, analysing every square centimetre of her.

“Why are you so sad?” Surprise asked.

Pinkie Pie was alarmed at the question. “Wha...at? I’m not sad! Silly filly! I’m Pinkie Pie, I’m always happy!” Pinkie managed an unconvincing smile. Surprise continued to watch with a neutral expression on her face.

“Okay!” Surprise said with a smile. “If you say so! Want to go explore the town!?”

“Sure!” Pinkie Pie said, sighing with relief on the inside, and the two of them began to skip merrily down the street.

...

Fluttershy and Rarity trotted down the road of the fashion district in Trotterdam. Rarity had become absorbed in her surroundings and was barely paying attention. Fluttershy looked around to discover that the street was filled with ponies, boer goats, and even a few kangaroos. Big, scruffy schäferhund were nowhere to be seen, helping to put Fluttershy at ease. Her heart rate had finally settled back down from the incident. Oh those teeth! How big they were!

Fluttershy was however, blushing profusely, because she noticed that many of the ponies on the street were smiling at her.

“Dat is het mooiste pony die ik ooit heb gezien!” one of the street ponies said, pointing Fluttershy out to his boer goat friend.

“Ja ja! Zij is niet slecht!” the boer goat said in response.

Fluttershy had no idea what they were saying, but the tone of their voices seemed to indicate that they were saying nice things about her, Fluttershy’s face was bright red.

Rarity stopped right in her tracks, causing Fluttershy to run right into the back of her. Rarity had found a shop that she wanted to go into and promptly dragged Fluttershy in with her.

One of the shop’s saleponies walked right up to them, smiling brightly at them.

“Hallo, mijn naam is Katrijn. Welkom in De Winkel. Hoe kan ik u helpen?” the salepony asked.

Rarity opened her mouth to speak, but then she realised that she hadn’t understood a word that the salepony said. She glanced to Fluttershy, who promptly shook her head, she hadn’t understood either.

“Uh... speak... Equestrian?” Rarity asked.

“Vy govorite po- kazak?” the salepony asked again, this language was clearly different than the one that she had spoken in before.

Rarity looked confused, again. She glanced to Fluttershy for help, but once again, the meek Pegasus could offer none.

“How about Wallish?” the salepony asked. “How about now? Do you understand?”

“Oh! Yes yes yes!” Rarity cried out. “I do apologise! I can only imagine what you think of us.”

“No no no... It is quite all right, we have many tourists from all over the world. My name is Katrijn. I would be very happy to assist you... I have a feeling you will be needing much help, no?” Katrijn said with a smile.

Rarity returned the salespony’s kindness with a smile of her own. “Well, if our previous attempts at communication were of any indication, we most certainly will.”

...

Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Vinyl Scratch, and Fusilier Willoughby had found a nice, quiet place in the park where they could catch up. Vinyl had brought Willoughby back up to speed on events that had caused Twilight and Rainbow Dash to regain their old world memories.

Willoughby was quite concerned when Legion had been brought up. “Well hell Shelia. I thought this new world was supposed to make everything better!?”

“Some things are,” Vinyl said, her thoughts trailing to Scootaloo, who in this world had a loving family. She did her best to stifle back tears, she missed that filly.

“Still, a lot of it seems like it’s been all for nothing... except for you Rainbow Dash! I’m certainly glad you’re not dead.”

“You better be!” Rainbow Dash said with a grin.

The group sat quietly for a moment, then they looked out across the street to see that Pinkie Pie and Surprise were skipping merrily down the street, in perfect synch with each other.

“Okay... now that’s just more than a little creepy,” Vinyl proclaimed.

All of them agreed.