• Published 23rd Jun 2015
  • 3,757 Views, 59 Comments

Nightmare Family - Smrrt



They thought I was gone, but they should know that the elements don't kill. They gave me a real chance in life and a family. Life was good. Until Celly and Lulu tried out a new teleportation spell.

  • ...
8
 59
 3,757

Two moons

Author's Note:

I am finally back. I also have the feeling I'll never be able to hold my 3000 word count promise.

If anyone would have told Nora a week ago that she would be drinking tea and eating cake with the princess of the moon, she would have believed them. After all, her daughter was the "evil twin" of said princess and as a result, neither her nor her husband were freaked out anymore by being in another world. It didn't happen the first time after all. Only last time it was one they thought was actually real, namely the Venus.

Yes, living with a goddess as a daughter had you practically prepared for almost any kind of situation. Preventing your own daughter from eating her younger brother didn't even fall under the top ten. How did this situation occur? Nora wasn't sure. She and her husband had been having a nice talk with Princess Luna, when suddenly a mouse came running into the room. It was followed by a cat with blue glowing eyes. The two "animals" had been running around in circles, until the man grabbed the cat, causing it to meow in protest. The mouse used the opportunity to climb up the woman's leg and hide inside her protective hands.

"Sarah? Would you please turn your brother back to normal?" Jack asked his transformed daughter.

Princess Luna looked dumbfounded as the cat rolled her slit eyes and then all of the sudden her entire body began to glow in a blue light. The body of the mouse soon followed and in a matter of seconds, Luna witnessed the "cat" performing a very complex transformation spell from mouse back to human. It ended with John sitting with his knees on his mother's lap. She simply shoved him to the ground. The cat in the meantime meowed and jumped off her father's lap.

Luna watched the cat walking over to her gracefully, not even once breaking eye contact with the princess. The cat stopped in front of Luna and eyed the pony for three more seconds, before bowing towards the princess. Before the alicorn could comprehend what was happening, the cat glowed again and soon turned into the human, who was still unconscious only an hour ago.

"Pff, show off."

Sarah gave her brother a quick glare before resuming to look towards Luna's hooves. "Princess Luna, I apologize for the behavior the two of us just displayed."

"Tis..alright, Miss Daniels." Luna assured. "We art rather impressed at though magic display and control of said magic. It takes decades for the greatest of our unicorns to learn what though displayed with ease."

Sarah looked away. "Under the circumstances I grew up, I had to either learn it myself or ignore my talents. As much as my parents would have liked it to be the latter, I simply was too tempted."

"You blew up uncle Joe's barn, when you were eight. Best firework I have ever seen." John gave Princess Luna a thumps up. His father however quickly grabbed the arm and pulled it down. Both older humans glared at their son, but he just shrugged them off and yanked his arm out of his father's grab.

"Ahem, well" Luna tried to find back her composure "We apologize everyhuman, but we wish to talk with Sarah. Art though alright with this?"

"Of course your highness." Nora replied.

"It's no problem at all." was Jack's reply.

John however gave Sarah a quick look, who gave a quick nod in return. You wouldn't have noticed if you had not been paying attention.


Sarah was more than a little twitchy being next to the one that acted as her host for a good thousand years. If Luna noticed the nervous hand shaking or the glances, she wasn't showing it. The alicorn led her guest to the royal gardens.

"Wow." Sarah commented at the wide range of flowers.

"My sister chose the wide range of flowers. She loves to spend time with us here a lot."

"Mhm. The last time I tried any gardening, I ended up creating a human eating plant." Sarah scratched her head while saying this. "My best friend got almost eaten. And well, I had no choice but to tell her about everything going on. She took it well...after she recovered from her shock that is."

Luna snorted.

"Is it difficult? Being the only one of thy kind who can use magic?"

"You're switching between thou/thy/us and you/me/she a lot." Sarah commented.

"Forgive me...us. We have difficulties adjusting to modern speech."

Sarah smiled. "It's no problem at all. And to answer your question, well sometimes it's hard. It especially gets hard when your "friends" " she made the air quotes with her fingers "start demanding stuff from you or even try blackmailing." Sarah kicked a stone. "Yeah, right. As if anyone would belief them. I have at least a few friends who support me."

"We...I see." Luna nodded.

"By the way, did my parents tell you about...the specialty of this world?"

"Specialty? Ah yes, indeed." Luna nodded, her face showing mixed emotions. "Truth to be told, we are rather...disturbed about the premise of aliens watching our every movement."

"Only 22 minutes, normally." Sarah replied. "Besides, last time I checked you're about three times as popular as Celestia and Cadance together." and at least double as popular as I am. Hey, not my fault I didn't get enough screen time.

"W-what?" Luna asked.

"I mean it. Probably because there are more episodes about you than Celestia. And seriously, stop the crap with the Tantabus before it gets out of hand. I know I promised Celestia not to intervene with the timeline, but really, stop it. It wasn't your fault, it was Nightmare's and the fault of the ponies from the past."

Sarah didn't notice Luna stopping in her tracks, until she was a few feet ahead of her. Turning around, the girl found the princess staring at the ground.

"Thou do not understand." she said in a depressed tone.

"I...don't understand?" Sarah repeated.

"It is...easy for us, for my sister to blame our subjects for what transpired on this fateful night. Celestia blames herself for not noticing the signs earlier. But ultimately, it was us who accepted the Nightmare into our soul, it was us who let her corrupt our very being, it was us who wished to bring eternal night upon Equestria, knowing full well everypony would die in a matter of years." Luna's voice was calm, but shaky.

Sarah bit her lip, desperately trying to hold back her own emotions. She tried to lift up the spirit of the night princess, but her method, namely being casual about everything and blaming someone else for what happened, backfired immediately.

Great job, Nightmare. You always know how to make things worse. she growled to herself, while walking up to Luna determined. The alicorn of the night looked up just in time, as the human wrapped her arms around her.

"I'm sorry Luna." Sarah whispered. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"Tis...alright." Luna tried to find her composure back and wrapped her wings around the back of the girl. "We know thou simply wanted to ease our pain...art thou crying?" she asked, as she felt something wet dripping on her fur.

"Sorry. I...got something in my eye."

Luna had already forgotten her own sadness, as she was simply confused why the girl all of the sudden was reacting the way she was. Sarah for her part, pulled back from the hug and wiped her eyes with her arm. "I am sorry princess. That was...I...a spurt of emotion..." she stuttered. The girl shook her head clear.

"A-anyway, there was something you wanted to talk about with me, right?"

Luna didn't pry into the business of the girl anymore. She filed the little mood swing away in her head for later and decided instead to get to business. "Yes, indeed. For you see, somepony...forgive me...for somehuman or someone in general, it is highly unusual to have this fine control of such vast amounts of magic, without proper training."

"I see..." I don't like where this is going.

"Truth to be told, we're rather unsettled by this revelation and ask thee to perform some tests in order to see how fine thy control really is and if necessary provide thee with a tutor in order to not risk any accidents in the future."

"...Makes sense." Only that my control of magic is as good as yours and I am not afraid to use dark magic to my advantage. "So, are you and Celestia going to supervise me or is it going to be one of your unicorn guards?"

"Nay." Luna waved off. "We thought of somepony of expertise in the field of magic. And while my sister and me are certainly experts, we do not have the time to properly test you. So instead, we have thought of giving you chance of meeting the Elements of Harmony."

Sarah's eyes went wide at this revelation.

"Y-you want T-Twilight Sparkle to test me?"

Luna nodded. "And teach you about the various theories and thesis' of magic. Understanding the basics will prevent future accidents, as we already stated, as well as provide you with understanding your gifts a little more."

...Is this a dream coming true or a nightmare?


Luna excused herself afterwards. One of her guards approached them and had whispered something into her ear. Sarah could see that the Night Princess suppressed a groan.

As of now, Sarah was left alone in the royal gardens with the animals, which avoided her on sight. The idea of causing a second animal stampede came into her mind, but that was something she would only do if she was drunk. Which she was not. She was scared.

The good news was, Twilight most likely didn't know her magical signature and once Sarah got away, she won't have to conceal it anymore. The bad news was, she was almost paranoid of the Elements of Harmony. You certainly don't forget getting your mind forcefully shoved out of the body you have been inhabiting. It had been painful.

Afterwards she didn't remember much. For a long time she didn't even know that she was Nightmare Moon, until the first time she used magic. It had not been a very pleasant experience to say the least and wanted to forget the day she-

"Hey sis." the voice brought her out of her own thoughts. Turning around, she saw her brother approaching her.

"How'd it go?" asked.

Sarah let out a sigh and crossed her arms. "Could have been worse. Luna wants Twilight to test my magic abilities. She's afraid I might cause some freak accidents, because I never got some proper training."

"Twilight? Wasn't that someone important? Eh, doesn't matter." her brother shrugged. "I've been at the barracks and the guards got some nice toys over there. Wanna spare?" he asked.

Sparring was something they did occasionally. Sarah was very skilled with her blade and battle ax. One day her brother had been watching as she was training with her summoned weapons and immediately wanted to join in. She tried to convince him otherwise, not wanting to be a bad influence on him, but he had been a little kid. At this age almost all little boys wanted to be a hero. Eventually he used his cute little brother charms (something he was lacking these days) and managed to convince her to teach him how to wield a couple of different weapons. Her parents never let her hear the end of it. At least until they both participated in their first tournament.

"Sure, I could use a stress reliever anyway."