• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 664 Views, 66 Comments

Identity - Hyper44



A young pony wakes up outside ponyville, injured and with her memory gone. A strange unicorn, a group trying to spread equality and ponies with evil intent eventualy all links back to her.

  • ...
3
 66
 664

Lightning practice


Over time as the first month passed and the second one was ending Twilight slowly gave up on finding a way to restore Jane Pony's memory or her cutie mark. She now sat in a field outside of Ponyville with her friends Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Rarity at a safe distance as they watched Rainbow Dash teach Jane Pony how to strike clouds andcreate lightning. Twilight couldn’t help but vent her frustrations despite the show Rainbow Dash was putting on.

"I just can't understand it. I ruled out all explanations left by injuries because the doctor couldn't find even a single injury on her that could account for total memory loss. It looks even less like an injury with the fact that she doesn’t have any of the other problems ponies who experience amnesia do. Also there's no injury that removes a cutie mark. That leaves the magic as the only explanation left but I can't find any magic that accounts for it." She flung her hooves up in the air. “Not in the books, not in detection spells, not anywhere!”

Most of the others had given up replying and let her drone on but Applejack finally replied without looking away from the two pegasus flying in the sky. "Sometimes Twli, the only explanation left, or the one we think is the only one left an't it."

"What?!" Twilight’s face scrunched up as she considered the concept. "What's that's supposed to mean?"

"Just what I said sugar cube, if it's not injury or magic then it has to be something else." Applejack responded still looking at the skies.

"But what else could it be?!" Twilight asked somewhere between demanding and complaining.

"I don't know, Twi but if it can't be either of those reasons than it has to be something else, now hush and let's see if Jane Pony can get the hang of it."

Across the field at cloud level Jane Pony was watching Rainbow Dash cause dark clouds to give up their lightning. She herself held back with apprehension. It was cool to watch but the idea of being so close when the lightning flashed out was a little scary. She had tried once and had gotten shocked, thankfully only a small jolt but once bitten, twice shy. At the moment she hovered in the air and just watched Rainbow Dash strike clouds producing lighting over and over.

"Come on now, you have to try again." Rainbow Dash called to her. "Are you really going to give up so easy?" She flew over to another cloud. "You just have to do it with confidence 'cause if you don't your likely to get shocked again." With that Rainbow Dash kicked another cloud sending out another bolt. It made such a loud thunderclap that it made Jane Pony's ears ring. She hovered there still watching for a moment then looked over to where the rest of her friends were. She saw that even more ponies from the town had been drawn out by the noise and were coming to watch. This made her stomach tighten up even more. Just what she needed, a bigger audience.

"Come on," Rainbow Dash called starting to sound exasperated. "You have to be bold or you'll miss out on a lot of things."

For some reason something stirred inside Jane Pony. A resolution began to bubble up within her. She focused on a large dark cloud a fair distance away so she could be sure to gain momentum. She hovered a moment longer letting her gumption rise as she focused on it and nothing else. She no longer paid attention to the ponies below or even Rainbow Dash as she called out to her again. Then as sudden as a ball from a cannon she pounded her oversized wings at the air and shot straight for the cloud. The wind whistled in her ears and through her mane as she soured. She heard Rainbow Dash's shout of encouragement and excitement as well as the excited yells from the ponies below. She paid no heed to it and kept her eyes on the cloud. The massive bulk of storm cloud grew huge as she closed in. At the last second she spun around in midair and bucked determined to make the biggest lightning bolt possible. Her world went white as a massive explosion filled her ears and it left everything else sounding distant and garbled.

Jane Pony shook her head to clear her vision only to realize that she was still flying hard and straight for another cloud. She knew better than to try to slow or otherwise she would crash into it to be shocked. She aimed her forehooves for it shutting her eyes and turning her head. Explosions rocketed through her body making her gasp. Opening her eyes she spotted another in front of her. Why stop now? She flew straight for it this time keeping her eyes open to see just what was happening. She struck the cloud and it exploded releasing all of its energy at once. Lightening shot in all directions and covered the landscape in bouts of rolling thunder.

Smelling singed mane, feeling the sting of electric shock and being half deaf Jane Pony finally decided to land. She arched her flight to the ground in the center of the field. Her hoofs hit hard and she felt a pop of electricity shoot up through her legs as sparks and shot out from her hooves. Jane Pony stood staring down at her hoofs in confusion. Then she became aware of the prickly, tingling feeling all over her body. Looking at herself she saw that her entire coat was spiked up. Her mane and tail was fluffed and sticking up worse than Rarity's cat when you made her angry. All of her hair from coat to mane and tail was popping and crackling every time she moved.

"Maybe that's not the way to do it." She said to herself though her ears barley picked up the sound of her own voice over the ringing in them. She looked across the field at the crowd to see them staring at her mouths agape. She ducked her head slightly not sure if this was good or bad. Then they started yelling which to her at the moment sounded like it was from the far end of a tunnel. At first she thought they were angry but then she saw that no, were they cheering. Maybe she did get it right.

A muffled and garbled voice yelling something excitedly came flying up behind her. It could only be Rainbow Dash. The rainbow mare flew down and skidded to a stop in front of her rambling away all the while. Jane pony strained her ears and tried reading her lips. She was sure that she heard/saw her say things like, "Amazing," "Awesome" and "I knew you could do it!" Jane Pony smiled when Rainbow Dash's chest swelled up and she was sure she was commenting on how her training had paid off.

Jane Pony just nodded back pretending she could understand what she was saying then turned to face the crowd. Jane Pony heard Rainbow Dash pause a moment then she flew around back in front of her and started babbling away excitedly again. Jane Pony tried reading her lips again understanding not the words but from her manner that Rainbow Dash was trying to tell her something important. Jane Pony tipped her head then shook it trying to make her state clear up faster. Finally she just pointed to her ears and said probably louder than she had to, "I can't hear you! My ears are ringing badly!"

Rainbow Dash slapped a hoof to her face. Then she reached out to turn Jane Pony's head around. Rainbow Dash jerked back and they both yelped as they were shocked by the static. Rainbow Dash shook it off, flew around to Jane Pony's side and pointed. Jane Pony turned her head, blinked then sat down without looking away. On her flank was an exploding cloud sending lightning bolts scattering in all directions. Yet in all her elation the only thing in her head was, "How could a pegasus like me who was so weak at flying have that kind of cutie mark?"

Rainbow Dash started yelling at their five friends what could only be an announcement of the cutie mark's appearance. A cheer went up from the crowd and the five came running. They tackled Jane Pony with a hug only to shriek and jump back as they were shocked. Rainbow Dash burst out laughing and quickly the others followed suit, falling on the ground with peals of laughter. To Jane Pony it sounded as if they were gargling water but she laughed right along with them.