• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 662 Views, 66 Comments

Identity - Hyper44



A young pony wakes up outside ponyville, injured and with her memory gone. A strange unicorn, a group trying to spread equality and ponies with evil intent eventualy all links back to her.

  • ...
3
 66
 662

The next moring


The next morning the newly and temporally named Jane Pony awoke well after sunlight. She sat up with her heart feeling like it was throbbing a little too hard in her chest. She wondered if it always did that or if it was from her ordeal. “Probably the ordeal,” she decided as she looked out the window. The doctor did say such things could stop a heart. “I probably came close.” She shuttered at the thought.

As Jane Pony trotted downstairs she found Twilight sitting at a table in the center of the room and with her head bent over a book. Stacks of books lay on the floor to her right and another stack was piled up to her left. She was staring into the book with such focus that she didn't even notice Jane Pony until she trotted up next to her and cleared her throat.

"AAAAHHH!" The Alicorn yelped falling backwards into one of the piles of books. Jane Pony couldn’t help but laugh but quickly apologized.

"No, no it's alright." Twilight said getting up with one of the books on her head. She put it on the table. "Now I spent a lot of time examining every book I have on memory loss." She stated.

"A lot of time I'll say." Spike grumbled heading up the stairs with yawn. "She studied all night with no break." Halfway up he collapsed on the stairs and started to snore.

Twilight ignored him and looked at Jane Pony. "Now tell me everything you remember when you woke up, even the smallest detail because it just might be important. Jane Pony took a deep breath and started from the very beginning when she had woken up so rattled that she didn't even know if her eyes were closed or not. She went over everything until the point where she had walked into Ponyville. The thing that seemed to trouble Twilight the most was her missing cutie mark.

"It makes this even more complicated." She stated darting over to the bookshelves and grabbing more books off with her magic as her guest told her tale. By the time Jane had finished Twilight had even more books out, lying open and scattered about the floor. She ran from one to the other reading pages and talking to herself. Jane Pony watched her awhile before a knock sounded at the front door.

"I'll get it." Spike called from the stairs but then fell back to snoring. Twilight finally looked up from the books to open the door. Her five friends came trotting in with Applejack leading the way. "Hi Twilight and hi....Miss." She announced. "We came to see how our guest is doing and thought it would be mighty neighborly to show her around town... If she's feeling up to it that is." She finished looking straight at Jane Pony.

Jane Pony shrugged, "Sure." She would like to stretch her muscles rather than stay cooped up and let them get even more sore and stiff.

"Well, go on and have fun." Twilight said. "I'll have some spells to try when you get back." With that she turned back to the books. The other ponies walked out with the sound of Spike snoring in their wake. "Does she ever sleep?" Jane Pony asked as they walked away.

"With her head in a book." Applejack replied.

"She's a real egghead like you've never seen." Said Rainbow Dash who was flying above them. "I've never seen anypony get so excited over books."

"Unlike somepony we know when a Daring Do books comes out." Rarity commented.

"Those are different." Rainbow Dash stated crossing her forelegs and not explaining why.

Jane Pony listened knowing that there were inside jokes here but she couldn’t understand them. These ponies were certainly friendly and treated her like one of them though she still felt a bit like an outsider with the obvious closeness and how well they knew each other. Still she appreciated it.

As they walked the town they tried to tactfully ask questions worried about upsetting Jane pony. For the most part she didn't really care now that she was over the shock of it. It was unfortunate and she certainly was not happy about it but it just was what it was now. She told them what she told Twilight just a shorter version rather than going over all the details. Rarity gaged and gasped "How dreadful!" more than once while the others made faces when she told them of the unicorn. Rainbow Dash made a promise to fly around beyond Ponyville to see if she could find him then, "Drag him back kicking and screaming to explain himself."

They explored the majority of the town stopping by Sugar Cube Corner where Pinkie Pie started asking her all kinds of questions about what kind of party she wanted. Did she want lots of balloons or less balloons? Did she want mostly cakes or cupcakes? Did she want it to be a Welcome to Ponyville party or a I don't know who I am party, or new name party or a Twlilight make me rember party...."

Applejack finally started shoving cupcakes in her mouth every time she opened it to shut her up. Despite her circumstances Jane Pony was laughing again. One just couldn’t help it being around these ponies. Afterwards they went to Rarity's boutique where she tried fitting more dresses and hats on her. This time Jane Pony didn't mind. Most of them had places to be later on and left one by one with Rainbow Dash promising to fly with her and show her Cloudsdale when she felt up to it. That left her alone with Applejack who took her back to her farm for that wholesome, home cooked meal. As they walked in through the gate Applejack called, "I'm back ya'll and I brought the pony I told ya'll about."

Quite promptly a large red stallion and a little filly came trotting out of the orchard that the pair was passing. The stallion wore a heavy yoke around his neck but carried himself as it weighed as much as a straw necklace. The little filly trotted along with the innocent smile of a young pony. She was yellow coated with red hair and bow bobbing in her mane.

She had her eyes half closed as she approached but when she neared she opened them fully and looked at the pegasus guest. She stopped in midprance, frozen with two hooves in the air and two on the ground. Then she plopped down on her rear and started wailing with a volume that would have made a timber wolf jealous. Applejack and the stallion just stared at her bewildered. So did Jane Pony feeling quite uncomfortable wondering what in the word she had done to make the little filly cry.

Applejack quickly noticed. "Apple Bloom! What in tarnation is all that fussing about? Can't you see your making out guest uncomfortable? Stop it right now!"

"B-but it's true." Apple Bloom wailed.

"What is true?" Applejack demanded.

"Di-Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon told m-me that I can be grown up wi-with n-no cutie mark 'ca-'cause they saw an almost grown pony with no cu-cutie mark!" Apple Bloom wailed in the same earsplitting volume. "I didn't believe them but now I see that it's true!" With that she threw her head on the ground and covered her face with her hooves mumbling, "I ain’t never goanna' get my cutie mark!" into the dirt.

"Apple Bloom this pony hasn’t gotten this old with no cutie mark. She had it stolen from her." Applejack tried to explain.

"I feel like mine's been stolen from me! Why is it taking so long to get one! It's not fair!" Apple Bloom muttered underneath her forelegs. Applejack looked at Jane Pony with an embarrassed expression. "I'm sorry about this, you know how youngins are." She said scratching the back of her head behind her hat.

“Eeyup.” The stallion agreed.

Jane Pony shrugged. "It's alright." She had long since figured out that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were the bratty fillies from yesterday. She more felt bad for Apple Bloom having to deal with them than she felt was embarrassed now. She felt that she just had to do something and knelt beside Apple Bloom. "If I were you I wouldn’t listen to anything they said about cutie marks."

"Why's that?" Apple Bloom asked looking up with a sniffle.

'Why was that?' Jane Pony pondered having spoken sooner than she had thought it out. "Well let me see how to put it." She said swishing her tail as she thought. "You know what their cutie marks are right?"

"Of course I do. I see them all the time." Apple Bloom answered, "Just as I see my own blank flank all the time too!"

"The thing is that their cutie marks are something very sad. They'd be better off without one."

"What?! How could anypony be better off without a cutie mark? A cutie mark shows that you’re special!" Apple Bloom demanded jerking her head up.

"Well their cutie marks shows that their not very special at all. Let see how to put this." Jane Pony replied flicking her wings as she thought. "If I interpreted their cutie marks right their only talent is being able to do nothing for themselves. Their talent is being entitled to their parents money and never making their own way. That, Apple Bloom is not special at all. I would rather be a blank flank all my life rather than have their cutie marks. At least with a blank flank you can make your own way."

Apple Bloom sniffled and thought it over a moment. Then a smile broke over her face. "Hey I never thought of that." She said wiping her eyes.

"All better now?" Applejack asked. Apple Bloom nodded then jump up. "Oh my gosh! I have to go tell Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo that! See ya' later!' She declared bolted off out the gate.

"Well that's our little sister." Applejack said as Apple Bloom streaked off into the distance.

"Eeeyup." The stallion agreed again with a nod.

* * *

After a pleasant and rather delicious meal with the Apple family Applejack led her back to the tree house. When they reached it they found Twilight sleeping with her head lying on an open book and Spike still snoring on the staircase. Jane Pony decided not to disturb them but walked over to one of the open books and sat down to flip through the pages. It was hard to sit still though for she wanted to know so bad if this alicorn had something that would reverse her memory loss. She stayed patient though for the fact that this alicorn had taken her into her home and stayed up all night to help her when it benefited her nothing. Jane Pony would wait and let her sleep.