• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 660 Views, 66 Comments

Identity - Hyper44



A young pony wakes up outside ponyville, injured and with her memory gone. A strange unicorn, a group trying to spread equality and ponies with evil intent eventualy all links back to her.

  • ...
3
 66
 660

Lunas' plan

Princess Celestia was almost late in raising the sun that morning. She had risen early but only because she was awakened by Luna who told her of the second near miss. She like Luna, Shining Armor and many of the royal guards wereboth furious and alarmed that someponies had infiltrated their way into the castle. Not since Queen Chrysalis had anypony ever accomplished that in the past five hundred years. She and Luna had slipped away to discuss the plan that the Princess of the night had formed.

In the meantime the nine ponies and one dragon had been sequestered away inside of Luna's own room which was now heavily guarded. They waited there anxiously, Lightning Jolt in particular, for the Princesses to return. She lay on the floor next to the bed lost in thought. Twilight was pacing as she was unable to keep still. Ever faithful Spike chased her up and down the room trying to make her relax. Valentine and Rainbow Dash weren't down. They were chatting excitedly over the fight and were soon exchanging battle stories. Fluttershy was hiding under the bed and Pinkie Pie was being Pinkie Pie. She had made Rarity faint with her wild speculations of what the fiends were going to try next. Apple Jack and Ember Light stood next to each other with their fore hoofs up on the window sill as they stared out at the horizon.

Lightning Jolt poked at the floor with a hoof then looked over at the door. Even though she knew that she would never make it out of the castle before her friends or the guards caught her she considered running. That way her friends would not be in danger any longer. She hadn’t been staring long when she felt herself being picked up off the carpet and hugged by Valentine so tightly that the wind was crushed out of her lungs. That little pony was strong!

"You have no need to ever feel guilty for just as you would put your life on the line for us we will do the same." She said. "And their hardly on the line with all of us against those goons anyway."

"Could she know what I was thinking?" Lightning Jolt mentally questioned herself. "Yes, she probably did."

"You’re not going anywhere." Ember Light said joining the embrace.

"Group hug!" Pinkie Pie yelled leaping across the room.

"You have all of us to count on." Twilight said walking over with the rest of their friends. Except for Fluttershy who just stuck her head out from under the bed and Rarity who was still passed out. Or maybe pretending to be passed out. Lightning Jolt could never tell.

"So what's up with this room, Twi?" Rainbow asked changing the subject. "I would expect Princess Luna to have a more archaic look. You know, since she's been on the moon for so long."

"How should I know?" Twilight said with a shrug.

"It's because I do not live in the past." a voice interjected. Princess Luna was standing in the doorway. "We have finished the details of our plan. Come with us." She didn't turn around and lead them away as one would expect. Instead her horn lit up and their vision flashed white for a second. In the next second they all were standing in a hallway with Princess Celestia and Luna.

"Wa-what? Where are we?" Rarity asked as she got up.

"Can't explain now." Princess Celestia replied. "Quickly come with me." She started off in a brisk trot. The ponies and dragon followed with Luna taking up the rear and keeping an eye over her shoulder. As they passed through more rooms and hallways certain guards that were standing along the walls fell into step. A few others, guards and servants just stepped out of the way and watched. They soon came to the end of a hall with two large ornate doors. Celestia's horn lit up and the heavy wooden doors swung open. They walked inside a decorated room with red carpet while the guards waited just outside. There was a large painting on the wall across from the door. It was of alicorns that none of the recognized and hung over a huge hearth that had amazing delicate designs. To the right and left were two more halls leading off to what looked like two more well decorated rooms.

When the last pony walked in Luna grabbed the heavy doors and shut them tightly behind them. The moment they were close Celestia lit up her horn and focused on the painting. Her magic glowed over one small spot on the picture where a dark purple, almost black alicorn was rearing on his hind hoofs. He wore a gold breastplate with many gems studded in it. It was on a small blue jewel that was a little off center that the glow of her magic rested.

"In this room is something that was a great secret for many generations. This was once the room of more minor royalty," She said. "And the secret is a special feature in case of emergency." With her last words there was a subtle clicking sound like a lock being opened. It was quickly followed by a loud grinding sound as the wall began to move. It groaned as one side of the wall swung outward and the other inwards. When it stopped there was a large gap revealing a room beyond.

"Let's go in." Celestia said so nonchalantly as if she had just opened another normal door.

The group stared a moment longer before following after her. They could sense that the room was large before Celestia used her magic to light all the torches. Once there was light they saw that they were in a large room that looked almost identical to the one they had just left. It however, was larger and a huge table stood in the center of the room as well as over the fireplace this time was a large decorated and detailed ancient map of Equestria and far beyond.

"This is a once a top secret chamber that the minor princesses and princes would hide in during invasions." Celestia explained as she used her magic to shut the hidden door.

Lightning Jolt winched at the sound as it ground shut. "So we're going to stay locked away in here until you figure what is going on?" She asked.

"No, my dear," Celestia replied.

"What?" Twilight cocked her head to the side in confusion. "Then why are we here?"

"To fulfill the first part of the plan." Luna replied walking up next to her sister. "As thou hast heard my sister say, this room ‘used to be top secret.' While this was for many years a complete secret for the safety of those who lived in the rooms just beyond this door it is not so much anymore. Ponies talk, even those whose life might one day depend on this hidden place. In past centuries the fact that there is a hidden room back here is known but it how to get in is not. Only my sister and I along with very few guards knows the combination and where the lock is. There is only one way in and one way out and it is through that door. The walls, floor and roofs are lined with a magical barrier that nothing can penetrate or teleport though. Even though it is known this room exists, still the most secure place in the castle."

"So they are staying here?" Twilight asked.

"No." Celestia replied. "But we want ponies to think that they are here. Luna has come up with a rather good plan."

"We shalt make it appear that thou is hidden away in this room. We will have guards outside the second door at all times." Luna took over. "Our intruders seem quite adept at finding out information and because of that we can conclude are very intelligent. If we make a measure too light they will suspect a trap but of course we don't want it too hard so that we can be sure they will try. We shalt even have servants bring meals to this room which the guards will take inside and eat themselves and bring back out the empty plates. They will even tell servants that you have requested items of comfort from time to time all to keep up the ruse that you are in here."

"The walk through the castle halls was also part of the show." Celestia said. "We want their eyes on here while we hide you elsewhere. We can be certain that they will try again. They went through an elaborate ruse the first time and attempted another on only the second night you were here. If they fall for the trap we can capture them and finally find out what is going on. One thing is for sure, if we can't find out who you are then they can tell us."

"Do you think I'm from another country?" Lightning Jolt asked looking up at the huge, elaborate map remembering that they had said that it was likely that she had come from outside this kingdom. On the ancient map Equestria was right at the center and she could recognize some of the places that Twilight had taught her about, though most of them had different names now. Some existing nations were not there and there were others that had not been on the modern maps. Some countries were smaller and some larger though Equestria looked pretty much the same borderwise.

"It's quite likely." Celestia said walking over to the map. "We've already sent some pegasus to the Frozen North." She pointed to the map with a hoof. "They haven't reported back yet and we sent a few delegates to Cinder's Islands.” She pointed it islands that were far out in the west sea. “They replied that there was no mare of your description and cutie mark that was missing."

"Twilight never told me about the Cinder's Islands.” Lightning Jolt said jumping up on the table and looking at the map. The islands, there were five of them and all together might be big enough to make up a small content. Since they were colored the same hue as Equestria it showed that they were once part of the sister's kingdom.

"We don't have much to do with them anymore. About three hundred years ago Princess Celestia sent some ponies who were causing problems there because-"

"I did not send them, I offered it to them." Celestia interrupted gently. "No offence, Twilight but I can tell it with a little more accuracy."

"Oh, right. You were there." Twilight replied with an embarrassed grin.

Celestia just laughed good naturedly and continued. "There were ponies who became discontent with me and my laws. It's a long story but when I would not change things they became bitter. Those islands were once part of Equestria as shown on the map but were very remote and closer to the other content than Equestria. It's a nice place, last I was there three hundred years ago anyway, but not of much use because of the distance. So I offered it to them along with plenty of funding to start so that they would have a place to do things their way. It seemed the easiest way to make them happy and they kept making a disruptive fuss from time to time. I really didn't think they would take it but they did. Aside from trade they won’t have much to do with us. They probably still think of us like their ancestors did."

Lighting Jolt looked at the islands for a couple more seconds. Then she turned her eyes to the rest of the map since Celestia had said that they had already checked there. Though they were not as strong now she felt the same pangs at the idea that she could be looking at her home or someplace she knew and not know it. Somewhere out there were ponies who knew when she had some from and somypony knew why she had a target on her forehead. All of this ran though her head as she scanned the side of the map opposite of the Cinder's islands.

* * *

Many miles away to the north of the castle was the shores of the westward sea that bordered the land. Just out over the water a storm was being pushed out to sea by the local pegasi. Across that vast watery expanse, over the great depths where massive and amazing creatures swam were Cinder's Islands. The only thing that the ponies on them knew about Cinder was that he was the pony who discovered the islands a great many years ago. It didn't matter though, they were their islands now. There were cities and villages on all five islands and they were all connected by at least one bridge. Little ferry boats ran between them and there was boat moored at just about every house that lined the edges of the islands. There were ports for trade though most had ships that looked as if they had sat there for a long time.

In the center of one city that was on the largest island stood a tall stone building. The entire city seemed to spiral out from there. The center of the building was topped with a large dome that held a grand office. Behind his desk sat a well-dressed and somewhat plump stallion. His coat was green and his mane and tail black. With a critical eye he sorted papers. Some he set into different stacks and others he threw into a waste bin. When he pulled a flattened scroll from the stack he snorted. "Those Equestrians! They think we can't take care of our own citizens! Can't take care of their own more like it. The sisters don't even care about them." He crumpled up the paper and then looked up as a tan mare with a feather cutie mark walked in. "Quill, did Fleet send those Equestrians our reply?"

"Yes, sir." She replied and dropped more papers on his desk.

"Good. They probably just wanted a chance to get intel on us. They never liked us." He went on even though the mare didn't seem to be listening. "They should have come up with something better. Seriously, one of our citizens made their way over there and lost her memory? Ridiculous! I knew how to deal with them!" He stated puffing up his chest.

"Want me to empty the trash bin?" She asked in a monotone voice.

"Huh? Sure. Anyway I just told them that we keep good track of all or citizens and no pony was missing. That probably burst their sneaky bubble."

He rambled on as she picked up the trash bin and headed out. "Take this with you." He called tossing the wadded up paper in her direction. She paused and it landed neatly in the bin.

* * *

On the adjacent island a couple walked along the shore. One was orange earth pony mare with yellow hair and a seedling cutie mark. Next to her walked a yellow unicorn stallion whose mane and tail was red. His cutie marks was a ships sail with a hole being patched up. They trotted slowly along the beach together while looking out at the waves.

"Just think of it like this," The stallion said. "Our little Baby Bird who flew into our lives has simply flown away. All baby birds do you know."

The mare nodded and solemnly while still looking across the waves. "At least she can fly now." She said. "She won’t have to worry about her lungs and heart condition holding her back. She can fly across the oceans to her heart's desire."

The stallion cleared his throat. "I know that it hurts but don't hold on to wishful thinking. There are no spirits. When a pony dies-"

"Shut up!" The mare snapped at him. "You don't know that! You really do not know that! This is not a time to be Mr. Reason."

He cleared his throat again. "Fine. We should have watched her more closely." He said trying to change the subject. "We knew that she couldn't take care of herself. When...oh whatever their names were, the pegasus and unicorn stallions showed up I thought they had a job for me. I never would have guessed that they had come to tell us that she had drowned on a ship at sea."

"Who would have guessed that she would board a ship that was headed to Equestria?" She yelled. "Why would she go visit there of all places!?" She turned her eyes that were full of fire to a distant house down the beach. It was on a hill overlooking the sea. Below was a dock with a hodgepodge but apparently functioning motor boat tethered to it. "I know who convinced her! I know would have filled her head with his stupid ideas and-"

Honey!" The stallion interrupted stepping in front of her as she prepared to run. "You’re going to get a restraining order put on you, again. Besides, she's knows better than to listen to that idiot."

"They should do something about that stallion!" The mare snarled. "He's always caused trouble and he's always against good things! He should have been born in Equestria!"

Inside that house on the seaside the rooms were a mess. The least cluttered areas were table tops and counters. These were covered with stacks of notes, vials and beakers. In the hall next to the door a white and recently washed coat hung over a coat rack. Back and forth across the living room a unicorn stallion raced. A black mane and tail that was full of split ends flew out behind him every time he took off in a gallop. He was packing things in a box by the door while at the same time checking on an experiment that was on the dining room table. It was hectic but he got things done. He raced past one of the windows only to skid to a stop and walk back. He put his forehoofs up on the sill and squinted at the two figures walking along the beach in the distance. Without even looking back he used his magic to grab a pair of binoculars off a table and levitated them over to him. Raising them up to his eyes with his magic he adjusted them and studied the figures walking along the beach. After a couple seconds he sneered and lowered the binoculars .

"It's just you two." He said dropping the binoculars back on the table. "Oh, our poor little sweet Baby Bird." He mocked making an exaggerated sad face. An eyelid twitched and his face scrunched up in anger at whatever was going on in his mind. Then he shook his head and focused back on the table where he had been rearranging vials. He walked up and down the table examining everything and every so often making adjustments. Even as he did though an eye kept twitching from time to time and his lips kept turning from a straight line to agitated sneer with teeth showing. A forehoof jerked up as if he had just touched something hot but he slammed it back to the floor. He set his jaw in a determined line and tried harder to focus.

"Ahhh, Searot!" He finally yelled throwing the vile that he was levitating to the table. "I'll just have to see how you are when I get back!" He snapped at it and then trotted for the door. He levitated his white coat off the rack without looking as he passed it. As he threw it over his back he picked up the box in his magic. He opened the door and hurried down a winding staircase in the hillside that led to the dock. Throwing the box unceremoniously on board he leapt onto the boat. He didn't bother to untie the rope but just cut it with his magic as he headed to the wheel. A quick flick of his magic over the controls and the engine started. Though it seemed to be a hodgepodge of parts from different ships it ran well and was quickly out away from the dock. Instead of using his magic to steer he used his forehoofs. He breathed in the sea air then stared across the horizon and he finally seemed to calm down from his agitated state.

There was a folded up map on the panel above the controls but the unicorn didn't bother to open it. He knew the way from traveling it many times. He pointed it's prow towards Equestria and gunned the engine.

Author's Note:

I know it seems a little off for there to be boats with engines in the world of MLP, at least for me but there was one episode with a helicopter albeit a peddle powered one and then there was twilight's equipment in Feeling Pinkie Keen. So it didn't seem that farfetched.
And yes, Searot. I want to keep my stories completely rated as E so no hard language.