• Published 23rd May 2015
  • 618 Views, 15 Comments

Folded Twilight: It's Time To Duel! - toxiconym



Twilight and her friend discover the heart of the cards.

  • ...
9
 15
 618

Chapter 1 - First Problem

Author's Note:

Why are you reading this
Turn back now, please. Read something else that I've written.

Cold air hung in the room from the newly-invented air-conditioning. Twilight sat on a hard, blue chair made out of plastic that connected to a wooden table. She was in a science lab, and having finished early was participating in a game of cards with her fellow friend Paper Face. The other students roamed around the lab, collecting ingredients, mixing chemicals, and writing down information as they worked to solve their problem. The teacher sat in his chair as he watched the group work.

Paper face was a gray unicorn colt with a dark gray mane and tail. His eyes shone a bright orange, and his cutie mark displayed a light bulb. He never wore clothes, except for the standard lab equipment, which was of course normal given the situation he was in. The only thing that stood out about him was his mane, which he never combed, but managed not to become a complete disaster every morning.

Twilight was a gifted student. She always finished early, got perfect scores, and had a decent conduct grade. She'd never gotten along with other ponies, who seemed to be more interested in viral videos and memes than they were in their school work. Silly them. Paper Face, however, was slowly trying to help her get out of her hard shell. He may have an unfortunate name, but he showed Twilight there was more to the world than just books. There were scrolls! No, but he really did show Twilight how to live a little. What's even better is he invented a simple game Twilight has never played before that didn't require team work.

Earlier that period, he and Twilight were bored as they sat idly and watched the other students worked. Paper Face looked at his desk, and at the index cards on its surface in particular. Having nothing else to do, he took a card from the pile, drew a square on it, and sketched Twilight's face on it without her noticing. He smiled at the picture. Maybe he could have a little fun with this. He wasn't sure how, though. They were just index cards.

Suddenly, he had an idea. He decided they could play a game with these index cards, like playing cards but different. They weren't loud, so they wouldn't disrupt the team-mates, and they weren't bulky, so he could carry them everywhere he went. He looked at the Twilight he had drawn and grinned, forming an idea in his mind. He wrote down the number 1850, underlined it, and wrote down the number 2300 under it. Paper giggled with glee, and he wrote down above the picture "Twilight Sparkle".

Twilight herself turned her head towards his way and scooted closer to see what he was making.

Paper Face tapped his chin lightly with his pencil, then rounded his eyes and grinned. He wrote down below the numbers, "MONSTER CARD. REAL-LIFE TYPE. IF A CARD ON HER FIELD IS WEAKER THAN HER, SHE LECTURES THEM, BOTH GAINING 250 ATK POINTS. IF A CARD ON THE ENEMY FIELD IS STRONGER THAN HER, SHE STUDIES HERSELF AND GAINS AN EXTRA 250 ATK POINTS". He resumed adding more detail to the card, and pulled it up so Twilight could see it better.

"What do you think, Twilight,"? He asked, hovering the card half a foot away from her face.

"I think I have no idea what you're up to," She giggled, and moved closer to him. "What exactly is it that you are doing? It doesn't look like anything I've seen before,"

Paper Face looked at the card for a few moments. He put the card back on the table. "I figured I could provide some entertainment while we wait for our classmates to finish every day," he replied, and pulled another card from the pile. "We never have anything to do, and card games aren't loud and are compact. However I don't have a pack myself, and you're a statistic genius, so I thought I'd invent a new game," he idly told her as he drew himself on the new card he had drawn. He gave himself 2000 ATK points and 1650 DEF points, and he quickly sketched a drawing of himself on the square he had drawn. "It's a silly idea, but it'll help our creative juices flow,".

A student, Inequality, walked by them as they spoke with a chemical tray in his hooves and looked down at what they were doing with half of his attention. Raising his eyebrows, he leaned down to pay more attention to the simple drawing. "Whoa, what is this? Looks nerdy. Cool. Hey Paper, do me! Do me!," he took the card with Paper's face on it and examined it. As he passed it back to Paper, he took the chair from a nearby desk and sat himself down.

"Not until I'm finished with mine," Paper stated as he added "MONSTER CARD. REAL-LIFE TYPE." to the bottom of the card.

'Your card doesn't have an interesting effect like mine does," Twilight furrowed her eye brows and looked at Paper as he drew yet another card. He ignored her as he quickly sketched and drew a third card, which turned out to be Inequality. It had 100 ATK points and 250 DEF points, which drew Inequality to complain as he took the card away.

As Paper drew yet another card, Twilight looked at him work as he made this card different from the rest. Instead of writing down "Monster Card" he wrote down "Spell Card" and it had no ATK or DEF points. He named it Mask of Paper, and added to the bottom "IF PAIRED WITH ANY REAL-LIFE CARDS, YOUR DEF IS RAISED BY 450 AND THE OPPONENT CANNOT ATTACK THE PAIRED CARD FOR THREE TURNS". Adding it to the pile, he drew two cards from his pile and slid one over to Twilight, and started working on the other one himself. "Inequality, don't you have a lab to do?" He stated as Inequality gasped and power-walked away, calling over to his class-mates. "Twilight, you should make some. It'll help speed things up," He stated as he calmly worked on his own.

"How many?" She asked, and nodded as he told her "as many as you can".

"This is the beginning of something viral, I can just feel it," Paper pondered as he continues etching and sketching on his cards, and then looking up as his ears swiveled to the noise of the school bell sounded, packed his things, and left the science classroom to continue working on the cards in his next class.