• Published 24th May 2015
  • 1,493 Views, 56 Comments

My History, Rise, Fall and Return: Starlight's Story - StormLuna



I am Starlight Glimmer and this is the story of my beginnings, my education, my rise, my fall and my return to Equestria.

  • ...
11
 56
 1,493

My Arrival in Manehattan

Hard Times

The train ride from Canterlot to Manehattan seemed to take forever as I and the guards were stuffed in the car with the least comfortable seats and no system of controlling the temperature. While the temperatures outside weren't horribly cold, the seals on the windows of this car were not very good so there was a cold wind blowing in. This did not affect the guards as they were bundled up but I had no coat, scarf or anything else to keep me warm. I know Celestia was pissed off but she could have at least put me in a decent car, not the cheapest one on the train. This was even more proof that she is part of this nation's problem.

The train trip took ten hours although it seemed more like it took ten days but finally the train ground to a halt in Manehattan. One of the guards threw a saddlebag on my back and handed me fifty bits. He shoved me off the train and sternly ordered, "Do not return to Canterlot or Celestia will do much worse to you than this."

I sneered, "Oh and what is that, do to me what she did to her poor sister?"

He shoved me with so much force that I fell. While I was thankful that I was at least given a saddlebag and a bit of money, I was still unsure as to how I was going to make it. I knew that the cost of everything in the big city was astronomical and given that I had no home, I knew that for the time being, I would have to see if I could live in the homeless shelter.

It wasn't even five minutes after I got off the train that some of the citizens began to hurl insults at me. In Manehattan almost everypony wears clothes, even more so than in Canterlot. The only ponies that didn't were the very low class ponies. I remember my first interaction with a Manehattanite. I asked him how to get to the homeless shelter and he sneered, "Oh, you're one of those types huh? Go do society a favor and drown yourself."

I yelled back, "Go to Tartarus you elitist asshole!"

He grunted and we headed off in separate directions. After five hours and several more nasty interactions I finally found the place I was looking for. I went inside and was greeted by an earth pony, "May I help you."

I will admit, being a unicorn with a cutie mark that symbolized powerful magic I was kind of nervous but I replied, "We-Well, I was kicked out of my old town and I have nowhere to go. I am wondering if I could stay here for a while?"

She looked at me and noticed that I looked like I live in a good home. After all, it hadn't even been one day ago that I had a nice home. She asked, "Oh, and where did you used to live?"

I replied, "Canterlot. I was in Celestia's school but I did something that violated the rules and she not only expelled me from her school but she banished me from Canterlot."

This pony was the type that could spot a liar from a great distance and she could tell I was not lying, so she let me in. Given that the shelter's funding came through donations, there were no separate rooms for ponies to sleep in. All there was were bare spots on the floor for us to lay on and each pony was given a blanket. While it was not what I was used to, I was thankful to have a roof over my head. They also had newspapers as they encouraged us to look at the classified section of the newspaper and try to find work.

I knew that I had powerful magic but because of my past I could not simply go marching into a school and apply for a job involving teaching magic. I grabbed the paper and looked in the want ads. I noticed that a diner not too far away was looking for waitresses so the following day I went and applied for a job. I was surprised that they hired me on the spot. When I let the director of the shelter know that I had found a job, she told me that once I had the funds to afford a place of my own, that I would have to move out.

An Unexpected Offer

Roughly a month had passed since I started working at the diner and while I was saving up money, I still did not have enough to get a place of my own. At the rate things were going, it would likely be a couple more months before I could even afford the most run down apartment in town, much less a decent place. I remember one day a gentlestallion with a white coat and red star cutie mark came in to grab a bite to eat. I noticed he kept on staring at my flank and I wanted to know why but I had to be careful how I asked, "Sir, is there anything else you need?"

He asked, "No, there is nothing I need. I am just curious as to why a mare with a cutie mark such as yours would be working as a waitress in a diner?"

I replied, "Why do you ask about my cutie mark and why I am working here?"

He said, "You have a special kind of cutie mark. I have a feeling that you probably have a great amount of talent." He looked out towards a cab that was waiting for him and continued, "Could you meet me after you get off your shift? I have a feeling that you might be able to work in a job that would become a career for you."

Of course this made me suspicious yet curious at the same time. I asked, "Who are you?"

He replied, "I am Professor Red Star, I am the head professor of the advanced magic studies department at the University of Manehattan."

Before I could reply the manager yelled, "Starlight Glimmer, get back to work or you're fired."

I replied, "Sorry boss."

He whispered, "Tell you what, I'll just wait around until your shift gets over."

I nodded and got back to work. Three hours later my shift was over and we caught a cab to the University of Manehattan. He led me up to his office in the magic studies department. We sat down and he said, "I can tell by your cutie mark that you have a talent involving powerful magic."

I replied, "Well professor, I do have strong magic." I realized that perhaps if I mention my past, maybe I could get a job. I continued, "Well, I used to be a protege of Princess Celestia in her school for gifted unicorns."

He asked, "Used to be? What caused you to leave?"

I replied, "Well I along with Celestia's other protege saw how she was basically fast tracking a new protege of her's, one who was a very young filly who still talked like a baby, to becoming so advanced in magic that she would make her an Alicorn princess. Both me and this other protege made a plan to stop this filly from being able to simply be fast tracked."

Red Star asked, "What caused you and this other protege to think that she would fast track her to make her a princess that quickly?"

I replied, "It was just the way she interacted with her. She basically treated her as though she were her biological daughter. I found this as unfair that she would put so much focus on a filly that could barely control her own magic while suddenly ignoring the two of us." I stopped for a minute and continued, "When I was young I even wrapped up winter in Canterlot but once this new little filly came along, suddenly I was just chopped liver to her."

Red Star was stunned. He asked, "You wrapped up winter? How hard was it for you?"

I replied, "It was easy. I had done plenty of studying and unlike the other protege, I was calm and collected."

Red Star asked, "Back to the original topic. What did you and this other protege do to try and stop this filly from being fast tracked?"

I replied, "Well you see when I was a filly, I learned that I had a very special and rare talent. I learned that I have the ability to remove cutie marks. I can store the marks in jars and in their place a black equals sign appears in it's place."

I remember how his jaw dropped open. He gasped, "You can do what?" He calmed down a bit and continued, "Did you wind up taking her cutie mark away from her?"

I replied, "Yes, I did. The other protege that felt Celestia was putting this filly on a fast track, Sunset Shimmer, wound up taking that mark through a mirror that leads to a parallel world. I shoved Celestia through it hoping that she could not return through it but she did."

Red Star asked, "What happened with the filly?"

I replied, "Well she eventually got her mark back. That was when Celestia threw me out of her school and out of Canterlot."

Red Star asked, "Did you ever teach any magic yourself?"

I replied, "Yes, when Celestia had to be out of town I was the one who was responsible for educating the filly. She did blossom quite a bit while I was educating her but I had no desire to see the unequal treatment she was being given leading to her being given a role as a princess."

He gave me a smile and I could tell that he had plans. He asked, "Starlight Glimmer, it is obvious that you are extremely talented and given that you have a very rare gift, I am wondering if you would be interested in an open position we have for a professor?"

I was shocked and happy at the same time. I replied, "Yes, I would be interested in that." One thing I wondered was if there were any other applicants. I asked, "I don't mean to sound like I am being nosy but how many other applicants are there for this position?"

He replied, "We have had many other applicants but none of them have near the magical knowledge or background that you do. Since you are interested, I am willing to hire you right here on the spot."

I was shocked that I was on the verge of getting more than just a job, but a position that would wind up becoming a career. I said, "With that being the case, I accept your offer."

He smiled and replied, "Well then, you're hired!"

I asked, "So when will I start?"

He replied, "In four weeks." He paused for a second and continued, "Given that you work at the diner right now, where do you live?"

While I did not want to admit it, I knew I could not lie to the pony who just gave me a position as a professor. I replied, "I live at the homeless shelter right now."

He said, "Well, not anymore. There is an open apartment in the housing complex we have for new professors. I want you to get moved in as soon as possible."

I replied, "Well I just need to go and get my saddlebag from the shelter and then I will be ready to move in."

He told me to meet me in his office the following morning so he can take me to my apartment, so I only had one more night to spend in the shelter. I headed back to the shelter with a beaming smile on my face. I said to myself, "Wow! I can't believe it! Professor Starlight Glimmer!"

When I got back to the shelter I resumed my normal behavior. After all, I couldn't just suddenly show up with a huge smile on my face because if they knew I just got hired as a university professor, they would kick me out right then and there. I had no desire to spend the night out on the streets, especially given how cold it was.

That final night at the shelter seemed to last forever as I was so excited to get moved into my new place. When the following morning arrived I spoke to the pony in charge and let her know that I had earned enough at the diner that I was able to get a place of my own. There was no way in Tartarus that I would tell her I had been hired by the university. As I grabbed my saddlebag and left the shelter, I felt a great sense of relief. Now I had a great job that would start in a few weeks and I would have a good place to live, probably something that would rival if not surpass my dwellings in Celestia's castle.

When I arrived at the university I was greeted by Professor Red Star. He smiled and said, "Hi Professor Starlight, are you ready to see your new place."

I replied, "You bet I am."

It still felt odd being called Professor Starlight but it was a good type of odd. When Red Star led me inside it had all the amenities that a pony could want, a decent sized bedroom, my own bathroom, a living room and a washer and dryer for the instances when I do have to wear clothes. It was also already furnished so the only thing I would have to worry about getting would be a television and optional things such as a stand to put the TV on. Unfortunately, the television would have to wait until I got my first paycheck from the university because working at the diner doesn't exactly pay well.

What made me the happiest though was that it had a kitchen already equipped with a dishwasher, a stove and a fridge/freezer combo. When I saw this the very first thing that came to mind was that I would finally, after so many years, be able to eat meat on a regular basis again! I began to lick my chops dreaming of fixing myself some eggs and bacon the following morning.

Red Star could see that I was in awe of the apartment. He asked, "I take it you like it?"

I replied, "Like it? Like it? No I do not like it, I LOVE IT!"

He asked, "So Professor, what are you going to do regarding your job at the diner. Are you going to give your two weeks notice or are you just going to up and quit now?"

While I secretly just wanted to quit right away, I decided I would give them my two weeks notice. After all, it would be unfair to them to just up and leave. I replied, "Well I will give them my two weeks notice and then I will have two weeks to get ready to start my new career."

Red Star nodded and said, "That is what I was hoping to hear. It shows that you are loyal to those you work for and that you won't just quit on something not caring about how it would affect others."

I looked at the clock and said, "Well I probably better get to work and then I will need to do some shopping. After all, I am so ready to start cooking my own meals again."

Red Star and I headed out and went our separate directions. While my boss at the diner was a bit upset about me giving my two weeks notice, she did understand that I had been hired by the university and wished me well. The final two weeks at the diner felt like two months but when my final shift was over, I felt a sense of relief. In two weeks I would be starting a new job, a job where I can utilize my advanced knowledge of magic and hopefully help new students achieve their goals.

At this moment I wished so badly that I could go and tell mom and dad that I am now a Professor at The University of Manehattan but given that I have been banished from Canterlot, writing them would have to do. I wrote them the following letter:

"Dear Mom and Dad,

I am sorry that you haven't heard from me in a while but I am sure you know that Celestia kicked me out of her school for trying to keep things fair for myself and the other proteges. I am not sure if she gave you the details as to why I was kicked out but I have had some rather interesting things happen. I was sent to Manehattan. All I had when I got off the train was fifty bits and a saddlebag, which the guard ponies gave me. For a while I had to live in a homeless shelter and work at a diner.

One day the head professor from the local university came in to the diner during my shift and noticed my cutie mark. He asked me why I was working in a diner when I had such a cutie mark. I told him about my past. I told him about my being in Celestia's school, I told him about my talent and I told him how I did teach the filly that Celestia loved so much from time to time. Upon hearing this, he offered me a job as a professor of magic at The University of Manehattan which I gladly accepted. I just finished my final shift at the diner and in two weeks I will begin my new career. I really wish I could have told you this over a meal or at least in a tight embrace but for now this letter will do. I hope that we can get together sometime.

Love your Daughter,

Professor Starlight Glimmer"

During my time in the shelter and working at the diner, I did a lot of soul searching and I realized that I could have behaved in a less confrontational way in Celestia's school. While I still want to eradicate the inequalities of this nation that hold the working class and the impoverished down, I realized that I took the wrong approach. Rather than simply forcing my will upon others, persuasion will be a much better method but I am still going to go out and buy some glass jars, just in case!