• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 2,001 Views, 9 Comments

An Elder Power - Twogunkid



An exploration of the history of Equestria and its non-pony races

  • ...
 9
 2,001

Chapter Three: The Midnight Train

Mayor Mulberry sighed, and looked out his window. He missed his old job. He missed being called Captain Cameo. He disliked how he came to power. He was more angry at himself for not noticing something amiss with the mayor. He had failed his city. He stared out the window lost in thought.
“Will you be needing anything else today sir?” Mayor Mulberry turned to look to his secretary.
“No Melanie take off early tonight.”
“Thank you sir.” She turned and trotted out of the office leaving the Earth Pony alone with his thoughts. He stared out at the moon. The town was quiet, this time at night he would usually be playing cards with the boys at the station. “Well why can’t I?” Mayor Mulberry grabbed his key ring and wrapped a scarf around his neck and began to make his way to the police station. He walked down the empty streets, when he stopped to listen. A loud thud came out of the town treasury. Mayor Mulberry still had all his old Police Pony instincts. He took the key and opened the door, and set off to the vault at a full gallop. He arrived only to see a group of ten or so ponies trying to break through the metal door.
“Ah Captain Cameo, so nice of you to join us.” Mayor Mulberry turned to see the former Mayor Bristle
“You can’t get away with this!”
“Oh can’t I Captain?” The hooded ponies produced wooden clubs and charged the new Mayor. He could not defend himself from so many. Bristle took the key ring and let out a triumphant laugh.
“You see Captain we always knew who had the real power in this town.”
----------------------
Murphy awoke, jostled awake by a bump in the tracks. He wasn’t used to traveling this way. He looked up from his bed. Spike lay asleep with a mild snore in a basket nearby on the floor. Bluebell was in the next room, but Murphy noticed Legion was not in the bunk above him. He got up quietly so as not to disturb Spike. He looked around the room, he decided to head to the dining car. He trotted out shutting the door behind him. He walked into the dining car. It was bare save a unicorn with a dishcloth cutie mark lifting chairs onto tables.
“Ah I was just closing up. What may I get you?” He began wiping a damp dishrag across the table.
“Just some carrots.” Murphy replied. The pony levitated several carrots from behind the counter.
“Two bits.” Murphy tossed the coins onto the counter lifted his carrots and left the unicorn to his work. He moved on to the observation car. He quietly ascended the stairs and on the upper deck spotted a familiar bat winged pony staring at the night sky.
“Hey Legion can’t sleep?” Murphy jauntily trotted over and set his carrots down on a table.
“We cannot sleep.” Legion replied maintaining his gaze upon the sky
“We’re not with the Princess anymore you can drop the “we” stuff. Carrot?” Murphy asked chomping into one himself.
“We do not need sustenance.” Legion maintained a lock on the horizon. Murphy looked and saw nothing out of the ordanairy.
“What are you looking at?”
“Stars.”
“You know you make this small talk stuff difficult, but I’m a cop. I can get information out of anyone.” Murphy walked around Legion who remained disinterested .
“So what’s with the bat wings.”
“That information is superfluous to our mission. It matters not. We will strengthen the seals on the Elder Dragons and we will go our separate ways.”
“You seem confidant. I doubt it will be that simple.” Murphy said eyeing the pony.
“We concur there will be trials and tribulations, but success is guaranteed.” The Pegasus seemed to be talking to Murphy almost as an afterthought.
“Why? Why is success guaranteed?” Murphy was growing impatient, he usually had Captain Cameo with him and the interrogation had already broken by this point.
“The reason why is irrelevant. Go. You need your sleep.” Legion continued staring off into space. Infuriated Murphy took another carrot to eat. He needed to change his approach.
“So… how did you make it into Luna’s guard.” Murphy asked
“My past is irrelevant” Murphy sighed as he got the answer he unfortunately expected. Murphy chomped on another carrot.
“Fine. Good night Legion.” Legion grunted in response and continued his watch with no clear purpose. Murphy was sneakier than he let on, he rushed back through the dining car, and towards his room in the sleeper car. Upon entering he locked the door behind him.
“If I can’t find out about Legion’s past from him. Let’s see what his bag tells me.” Murphy nosed open the saddle bag.
“What in the hay?” The bag was empty except for vial after vial of a strange red potion, and several rolled up scrolls. Murphy quickly grabbed the scrolls and opened the first.
“To the most honorable Sgt. Willow of the 21st Ash,
Due to your valor at the battle of 3rd Pines” Muprhy scratched his head.
“Who was this Willow? And 3rd Pines? That was almost two hundred years ago.” Murphy wrote it off as a typo, they must have meant the far more recent 5th Pines. He continued reading.
“You are hereby offered a position in the royal guard.
Specifically assigned to the Cardinal North with opportunity for advancement.
The prestige and honor of such a position cannot be stressed enough.
Guarding the cardinals of direction ranks second only to the guard of the royal prince and our beloved monarch Celestia.” Again Murphy stopped, but thought to himself “It must have been before Luna’s return.” Murphy returned to the scroll.
“To accept the position please inform military command in Canterlot by the end of the month.
-General Boulder” Murphy rolled the scroll up and set it aside.
“That didn’t answer anything. Maybe the next one will clear things up” Murphy picked up the next scroll.
“Dearest Willow,
It is fantastic news to hear you have joined the royal guard. Now you will be in Canterlot near me all the time. It is wonderful to spend time together love. When I get my hooves on you---” Murphy decided to skip to the end rather than read too much of this love letter.
“Love,
-Tabby” The letter had a lipstick mark on it.
“Why does he have these love letters?” Murphy said as he moved through several of the next scrolls. One appeared to have several water stains.
“Dear Colonel Willow,
We regret to inform your wife has passed away.
She died at 3:27 AM on the 4th of November during foal-birth.
The filly was stillborn. We feel greatly sorry for your loss.
-Dr. Charmer”
Several more letters were there offering condolences. From friends, one from General Boulder, and one from the Cardinal North. Murphy came across a newspaper clipping, an obituary from The Equestria Daily with a picture of an yellow unicorn with puffy brown hair. “Wife to Colonel Willow, the famed war hero.” Murphy thought some more “I’ve never heard of this war hero. What does Legion have to do with these ponies?” He put the clippings and condolences back. He then took a look at the last scroll.
“Dear Colonel Willow,
You are hearby invited to fill the ceremonial role of Guard Captain of Princess Luna’s Guard
Please report to the Royal Palace to accept or decline the position.
More details will be offered upon you arrival.
-Princess Celestia”
Murphy put all the scrolls back and took one of the vials of potion. “Now I have more questions than answers.” Murphy said to himself. He looked at the vial, the red liquid flowed very slowly. He put it back and closed the saddle bags. He yawned to himself. “I’ll ask him about it in the morning.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
“Wake up Bluebell! I made pancakes!” Bluebell groggily opened her eyes to a bubbly purple dragon who had set a table with pancakes, berries, syrup, honey, and biscuits.
“Spike… what time is it?” Bluebell got up and began making her bed.
“Its 7:30 Bluebell. Here let me get that for you.” Spike began making the bed.
“This is when Twilight usually gets up, and since you were Celestia’s student also I just assumed it was the same.” The dragon rushed around eager to talk to his new companion.
“Spike… You should know I’m not a morning pony.” Bluebell shuffled her way to the table. Spike poured her a cup of tea, and put it down next to her. Spike then moved onto his stack of pancakes and began liberally pouring syrup and honey onto his. Bluebell levitated a few pancakes, a handful of berries, and a biscuit onto her plate. She began cutting them and drizzling a little syrup.
“So… Spike why are you so eager to please?” Bluebell asked as she took a bite of pancakes.
“I aim to be the number one assistant. Just like I am back in Ponyville.” Spike said between mouthfuls.
“So you take pride in your job?” Bluebell said slowly munching on her biscut.
“Of course. The Princess sent a letter asking specifically for me. She knows I’m the best, and I’m gonna prove it.”
“How did the Princess send you a letter and then how did you make it to Canterlot so quickly?” Bluebell raised an eyebrow as Spike looked up from his breakfast.
“Watch this…” Spike picked up a blank scroll and concentrated hard on the pillow in the corner of the bed. He took a deep breath, and exhaled a faint green fire. The scroll disappeared only to be sitting unharmed on the pillow.
“Pretty neat huh?” Spike said grinning at himself.
“So that’s why you replaced Chenoa. You’re a walking mailbox.” Bluebell said tapping her head with her hoof.
“Hey. I’m a dragon on a mission involving dragons. Don’t think that was part of it?” Bluebell had resumed eating her breakfast. Spike sighed and put the parchment back. He mumbled a little under his breath
“Twilight would have at least been tactful about it.”
Bluebell finished gave Spike a brief thank you and left for her studies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a bonus chapter I thought about not including because it was so short. Enjoy an unscheduled update. As always constructive critisim is welcome.