• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 2,001 Views, 9 Comments

An Elder Power - Twogunkid



An exploration of the history of Equestria and its non-pony races

  • ...
 9
 2,001

Chapter Two: Forgotten Histories

The sun set in the West as the Chariot finally landed in Canterlot Castle Before Murphy or Bluebell could ask the Princess any questions, she had moved over to one of her attendants.
“Dusty, see to it they are given excellent accommodations for the night. I must talk with my sister alone.”
“Yes Princess.” The brown Earth Pony replied. Bluebell and Murphy watched as the doors shut behind the Princess, and they were ushered down the hall.

Princess Celestia had kept her heavy armor on the entire flight, she now magically levitated her helmet off , as she nearly collapsed from exhaustion. Luna entered the room, in an agitated state.
“Tia what’s the big idea having me raise the moon in the middle of the day? I don’t wake you in the middle of the night to get the sun? What was so important that you needed your full power?”
“Atherion was freed Luna.”
The younger sister stopped cold.
“But how is that possible? We trapped him like all the others. Did the elements fail?”
“No sister. We failed. You see, we lost our Connection with the Elements of Harmony. Their magic, remains strong enough to imprison them, but as we saw with Discord, and now with Atherion, the magic can be broken.” Celestia continued removing parts of the armor, setting aside her greaves and flank plates.
“Then what do you propose we do Celestia?” Luna had regained her composure “The other beings might simply be freed by the strong magic we radiate.”
“I know Luna.” Celestia removed her fore armor, and for the first time, her wound was revealed. It had mostly stopped bleeding, but it remained a large gash.
“Tia you’re hurt!”
“I’ll be fine Luna you needn’t”
“Oh you are always so self-reliant Tia. DUSTY!!!” Luna’s magically amplified voice rang through the halls and the Pony from earlier arrived. Luna stood in front of Celestia, almost obscuring her from view.
“Our sister is planning on attending a formal event see to it her finest evening gown is laid out. Bring her a bath robe for now.”
“Yes Princess.” The Earth Pony trotted out.
“Luna why?”
“Oh Tia you don’t think things through enough. You can stay cooped up in your castle. Or you can use royal functions as an excuse to dress fancily and hide your wounds.”
“…Luna that’s brilliant.”
“I try sister. Now what are we to do about anyone we ever imprisoned through the elements of harmony breaking free?”
“They can’t simply break free. They may be freed. Discord was freed by nearby disharmony. Atherion was freed by Dragon Cultists. All it takes is reinforcement of the wards and runes, to help seal them away. We cannot go near them though our powers are simply too great, to not disturb the perilous magical balance.”
“Is that why you brought the Unicorn and that Earth Pony I noticed earlier?”
“Yes Luna. Bluebell is my ideal student for this mission. She always excelled at runes and wards.”
“and the Earth Pony?”
“A Police Pony by the name of James Murphy. I have a feeling he will be useful to my student.”
“I think you overlooked one thing Tia. We two are the only ones left who battled the Elder Dragons. Discord is sealed away.”
“Ah but we were not the only immortal creatures, who battled them.”
“The other Gods are dead or missing Tia you know that.”
“I do not refer to them. Philomena!” Celestia’s voice echoed through the palace and the fiery red bird quickly approached at her master’s call. The bird perched itself on Celestia’s shoulder. Celestia let out a shriek of pain, startling Philomena. The bird fluttered to the ground and cocked its head quizzically at its master.
“Tia. You are too hurt to be up. I am more than capable of telling ponies where to start.”
Celestia opened her mouth to protest.
“Sister I will not allow you to run yourself ragged. If I am to be a monarch again I must start taking a more active role in the fate of Equestria. Phalanx!” Luna’s cry caused an immediate entry of a guard pony in golden armor.
“Phalanx, see to it our sister is not disturbed she must have her rest. Go Celestia.” The older sister hated admitting her sister was right, but she was more hurt than she let on. Celestia trotted out of the room, and Phalanx prepared to follow.
“A moment Phalanx.” The guard pony stopped to listen to the Princess. “No one but you or Dusty is to enter or leave that room. We trust you can maintain secrecy, but Princess Celestia will need some time alone. Understood?”
“Yes your majesty.” The guard pony turned and followed Celestia down the hall.

Bluebell sat and thought to herself. “Why was there a dragon who claimed be guardian of flame? Why was it ice? And why was it freed by a handful of mad earth ponies? Why can’t that police pony stop admiring the stained glass and sit still?” Bluebell stopped for a second to look over Murphy, she had been reasonably distracted when they first met. He was a decently built pony, perhaps a little small for his chosen occupation, He had a brown spikey mane, only slightly darker than his body. His cutie mark though intrigued Bluebell. It seemed an odd cutie mark for a police pony. It was a small circular mirror, no lens, no handle, just the glass.
Murphy noticed he was being stared at, he took his attention away from the stained glass window depicting the battle of Trottinghiem and turned his neck to look at Bluebell. “See anything you like sugar cube?” Murphy said with a laugh. Bluebell blushed she had not meant to stare.
“I’m s-s-sorry. I didn’t mean to stare. Its just I was looking at your cutiemark”
“And noticed I had a nice plot?” Bluebell wasn’t used to this kind of teasing, she was never one who drove the colts wild. She blushed even more. Murphy just kept laughing. The doors opened and the pony Dusty entered the room.
“The Princess will see you now.” Murphy stopped laughing straightened his police cap, and followed Dusty down the hall.
“That was certainly akward.” Bluebell thought to herself. “Thank Cele-” Bluebell’s thought was interrupted as she realized it was not Princess Celestia who was seeing them, but her younger sister, Princess’ Luna. “Thank Luna- I guess.”
This throne room was different than Celestia’s for starters the throne was grey iron with several menacing spikes as versus soft and cushioned. The room had many drapes covering the various windows on the sides, but the ceiling was one enormous window giving the illusion of the open sky. It seemed as if a pony could see all the skies of Equestria from this one room. It was beautiful but the room seemed bare to Bluebell, it lacked the welcoming air of Celestia’s throne. Bluebell almost lost herself in the sky before she noticed the guard standing next the Princess’ throne. The stallion was lean, the vague outlines of his bone structure could be seen. He was grey and as far as Bluebell could tell he had no mane or tail. Unlike Celestia’s guard the armor was simple steel, with some blue dye adorning the helm and the saddle areas, and even more unlike Celestia’s guard sheathed on the side of the armor was a sword, ready to be drawn at a moment’s notice, and though Bluebell could not be sure, she thought the guard had fangs.
“We greet thee. Bluebell and James!” Luna’s voice snapped Bluebell out of her contemplation. “We are to understand that you encountered the Elder Dragon Atherion. We find the freeing of another god problematic. As you now doubt know during the Dragon Wars-”
“The dragon what now?” Murphy clapped a hoof over his mouth as the words left his mouth. He blushed and hoped the Princess would not be angry.
Princess Luna sighed “One thousand years and it seems that nopony studies history anymore. Legion.”
“Yes my liege?” The guard pony asked taking a knee.
“The lights if thou would.”
“At once your majesty.” The guard pony grabbed a rope in the corner of the room and the glass roof seemed to seal and become stone. Luna began her horn faintly glowing as shapes lazily began to form out of thin air.
“Long before Equestria as you know it, there were many more civilizations. There was the land of Provata ruled by Pescus the sheep god of the weather” An impressive ram appeared and led great herds charging across the room “the buffalo tribes were lead by Bubalus the buffalo god of the wild” the sheep herds disappeared to make way for a buffalo easily half the size of the room, adorned with a headdress with majestic and exotic feathers he had a proud bearing to him “the Zebras had a thriving civilization called Pundamilla, lead by the wise Wanjanja, goddess of the stars.” A striking zebra replaced the mighty buffalo many stars twinkled around her and mighty stone building bustling with Zebras were behind her. “There was the might bull god Adair, god of the sea.” A strong proud bull appeared, but this the Princess dispelled the illusion quickly barely letting Bluebell and Murphy see it. “Finally there were the two spirit brothers, Discord, the spirit of disharmony, and his older brother Camaraderie, spirit of unity and creator of the elements of harmony.” Two Draconequis appeared, each a mirror image of the other.
Before Bluebell could ask why she had never once seen any mention of Camaraderie creating the elements or this impressive Zebra civilization Luna continued her account “There was peace in the world, until the Elder Dragons, vain dragon gods grew jealous of the happiness we enjoyed. The sought to take it from us attacking suddenly and without warning they slew Pescus, and mortally wounded Camaraderie. Using the last of his power Camaraderie forged the elements of harmony for us to fight back against the far more powerful dragon gods. One by one we subdued the dragons. Armies of ponies, zebras, cows, and buffalo clashed with dragonspawn.” The illusions swirled to bloodstained meadows filled with all sorts of creatures clashing. “The first battle of the Everfree, was a disaster for us. Long had the rams of the sheep clans been a formidable ally. We expected them to even the odds as they always had; however, without Pescus they were spineless, the remained as sentient as ever, but were so prone to suggestion that they could not have any initiative. They had to be herded away from the battle as they were being slaughtered.” The illusion showed dragons raging all over the meadows as the coalition army fled working to protect the cowardly and divided sheep. “Without Pescus all weather ceased. The clouds remained, but no rain, no wind, no snow, no seasons. One brave Pegasus pony by the name Eastern Drive, and her husband Starswirl the bearded devised a plan to deal with the weather. Pegasi would do the grunt work of the weather, while directed by the four cardinals of direction under the direction of the royal prince. With the power of the weather once again harnessed the tide began to turn on the dragon armies. Eventually only two were left. Atherion the Flame Guardian, and Scion the Keeper of the Mind.”
The familiar orange dragon formed and next to him a long jet black dragon, the two separated and Celestia, Luna , and Discord gave chase to Atherion, while Wanjanja, Bubalus, and Adair followed Scion. We defeated Atherion, but we could not find any sign of the other battle. The waves of the ocean had stopped. The stars did not set in the sky, they were merely overshadowed by Celestia’s sun. The wild continued to grow rampant. The zebras and buffalo though remained independent. Unlike the sheep and cows, they continued life, though their civilizations decayed without a leader uniting them all. Which lead us to conclude that Wanjanja and Bubalus were not slain. The cows like the sheep, were now cared for by ponies. We assumed the duties of Adair. The waves follow the moon, as I try and keep the natural order.” The illusions dispersed.
“Now the seals placed on the Elder Dragons weaken and they are more likely to be freed. We have decided you must strengthen the wards sealing the beasts away before, they are freed. Philomena and Legion will accompany you.”
“My liege with all due respect my place is protecting you.”
“Legion we are more than capable of protecting our selves. Ms. Bluebell and Mr. James will be going into some of the most dangerous parts of all Equestria, they will need someone with your skills. Now bring forward their supplies and the maps.” Luna’s voice was firm but she did not raise it. It was evident she knew how to command all her subordinates.
The bat-winged pony grimaced. “Yes my liege.” The guard left and returned carrying large saddle bags as though they were nothing. He tossed one at Murphy, the earth pony was staggered by the weight. Bluebell caught hers and levitated it onto her back, she too buckled under its weight.”
“The first train, leaving Canterlot station tonight will take you to the first battle site. Your communication with us is absolutely critical, so we must ask you Bluebell to loan Chenoa to another of Princess Celestia’s students, whilst you borrow her familiar.”
“But who could fly faster than Chenoa? She must be the most magnificent bird in all of Equestria.” Chenoa puffed her feathers out, but shrank once Philomena shot her an angry glance.
“He does not fly. Meet Spike.” Princess Luna introduced the short purple dragon.
“But why can’t I keep Chenoa?” Bluebell pleaded.
“BLUEBELL!!! WE COMMAND THEE TO MAKE A TEMPORARY CHANGE OF FAMILIAR!” The room shook with Luna’s voice, and all save Legion backed off in fear.
“Y-y-yes Princess.” Bluebell hung her head as the purple dragon rushed around.
“Hiya Bluebell we’ll have a great time. I’m Spike.” Legion growled he already did not like this dragon.
“Good luck My Little Ponies.” The group set off for the station, their mission clear.
Author’s Note: Enjoy Chapter Two. This was quite difficult to write as I have roped myself into creating a history and mythology for many races. I will try and update this story about once a week. Constructive Criticism is always welcome.