• Published 9th May 2015
  • 2,062 Views, 63 Comments

Street Dreams - DJDJ



The battle of the bands is over. The Dazzlings are vanquished, while they're licking their wounds, a hot shot street racer transfers to CHS from out of town.

  • ...
7
 63
 2,062

Chapter 15: The Long Road Home

Adagio wiped the tears from her eyes as her sisters ushered her into the house. As Aria and Sonata shut the door behind them, they could hear a car horn honking just outside. Aria patted Adagio on the back smiling smugly, “You’ll thank us one day.”

Adagio swatted at Aria’s hand and wiped the tears from her eyes as she clenched her teeth together. Sonata wrapped an arm around Adagio’s shoulder, smiling triumphantly. “Too bad about him. Maybe we can get the next guy to GIVE us his car.” She giggled tauntingly as she pushed Adagio with her hips, the way she had to AJ the night I first met them all.

Aria planted her balled up fists on her hips and snapped at Adagio, “I don’t know what you have to cry about anyway. Remember 400 years back, you said if you ever got any feelings for these,” Aria gagged and shuddered, “things, to snap you out of it.”

Adagio shoved Aria hard enough to knock the smug grin off her face. “I didn’t tell you to break my heart!” She shouted to Aria, causing Sonata to cover her ears and cower slightly.

Aria sighed and shook her head. She gently wrapped her arm around Adagio’s shoulder and whispered to her comfortingly. “Oh Adagio,” She then violently shoved Adagio to the ground and chimed smugly, “Sirens don’t HAVE hearts. You really are turning into one of them.”

Sonata reached out to Adagio to help her to her feet. Adagio yanked her arm away and scolded Sonata, “YOU! SHE put you up to this didn’t she?” Adagio gestured to Aria.

Sonata huffed and folded her arms at Adagio’s accusation. “NO! She just told me you’d let me break someone’s heart and rob them blind next time if I helped.” Sonata smiled proudly.

Blinded by the frustration of this appalling betrayal, Adagio screamed at the top of her lungs and raised her fist to Aria. As Adagio prepared to rearrange Aria’s face, the trio was startled by the sound of an engine coming to life outside. Adagio was snapped out of her anger and made a dash for the door. She flung open the door in time to hear her recently ex-boyfriend’s engine rev up and spit flames.

Desperately, she sprinted across the front lawn to try and stop me. She was too late, by the time she reached the curb; I had left her in a cloud of tire smoke. Adagio cupped her face in her hands and collapsed to her knees sobbing.

When Aria and Sonata pulled Adagio from my car and retreated into their house, I felt so helpless. Adagio was right, we never belonged together. That didn’t stop me from hurting. I’d been living in the past for too long, and Adagio was just anchoring me there. I wished so desperately I didn’t have to hurt Applejack to understand that. I beat on my steering wheel in frustration, sounding off the horn.

With tears in my eyes, I reached over and pulled down the passenger sun visor. For a few moments, I could only stare at AJ’s hopeful smile and deep beautiful eyes. I took a deep breath and whispered to myself, “No more games, no more lies.”

I fished my phone out of my pocket and hastily dialed AJ. My breathing started getting shallower and faster as her phone rang and rang. Predictably I was forwarded to her voice mail. At the tone, I tried to string together a series of words and hoped they would come out as a coherent thought. “H-hey, AJ, it’s me. I uhm…I wanted to say again, how, how sorry I am…for everything. Uhm…” My hand held my phone unsteadily by my ear, and I took a deep breath. “I…I love you…Applejack. So much. I always did.” I let the tears roll down my cheeks and took another deep breath. “I’m coming home.” I declared finally before hanging up and returning my phone to my pocket.

With another deep breath, I looked back to the Dazzling’s house and my expression sank into a hateful scowl. I pressed my teeth together as hard as I could as I turned the keys. When my engine rumbled to life, I pressed the accelerator revving the engine up to the red line. Tightening my grip around the wheel I let the engine bounce off the rev limiter. As I let the engine wind down, the exhaust crackled and spat a burst of fire. I noticed Adagio in the doorway, I briefly saw her run after me but by the time she reached me, I was already burning rubber, on my way back home, back to Applejack, where I belonged.

Sunset Shimmer was enjoying a midnight apple fritter as Applejack joined her in the kitchen. “Hey, someone called just now.” Sunset gestured to AJ’s phone which she had left on the counter.

Applejack poured herself a glass of apple juice and glanced at her phone, then to Sunset, “Any idea who?”

Sunset shook her head, with a mouthful of fritter she replied, “I couldn’t see it.” She swallowed the pastry filling her mouth and finished, “they left you a message though.”

Applejack picked up her phone and stared at it curiously. With a few gestures she held the phone up to her ear. As she listened to the message, her expression sank and gave way to morbid concern. When AJ hung up, Sunset hastily asked her, “Who was it?”

“Him.” Applejack replied quickly, leading Sunset outside with her.

When they approached Sunset’s SUV parked outside the house, Sunset yanked her wrist free from AJ’s grip and asked concerned, “What’s going on? What did he say?”

Applejack sighed anxiously, “He sounded all outta sorts. Said something about headin home,” AJ bit her lower lip then blurted out, “I need to go see him, now!”

Sunset unlocked the car and as they climbed in she mumbled, “Okay okay, let’s go.”

On the long road back into town, AJ could not stop fidgeting in her seat. Sunset glanced at her restlessness and suggested, “Maybe you should try calling him, see if he’s calmed down.”

“Good idea.” AJ fished out her phone and hastily dialed me, the concern on her face did not subside as the phone rang on and on until she was forwarded to my voice mail. When AJ put her phone away Sunset looked at her curiously, “Nothin.” Applejack grumbled. She sat back in her seat, folded her arms and grimaced.

Applejack was snapped out of her sulking when Sunset Shimmer broke the silence in the vehicle. “Hang on, what’s that?” She asked, as AJ followed her hand to where Sunset was pointing, the headlights on the side of the road were the first things to catch her attention. The next thing that caught Applejack’s attention was how familiar the car on the side of the road was.

I took the exit off the freeway out of town onto the road to Sweet Apple Acres. When I hit the surface street and the road straightened out, I opened the taps. My mind was racing and as I careened down this back country road, I could see ghosts of the many trips I’ve made down this road before. In my passenger’s seat, I saw the vision of the beautiful girl who made this trip with me so many times. As my thoughts were drowned out with memories of happier times with her, I didn’t notice my foot compressing the accelerator harder and harder.

Eventually, this memory asked me in her familiar country accent, “Is it really worth risking everything?” I sighed deeply as I lost myself in her ghostly green eyes. Abruptly, she disappeared in time for me to catch the orange flash of a quickly passing road sign. Another memory clicked on inside my head, but it was much too late. I was going way too fast this time, so I braced myself for the inevitable.

THUD. I wrestled with the steering wheel to get back control of my car but it was useless and I watched helplessly as I collided head on with a light post. I was only briefly aware of the impact before I passed out.

My vision was blurry, but I could see smoke billowing from the engine. I had to concentrate to draw breath. Each and every draw of oxygen was excruciating and shallow, it felt as if my chest had collapsed in on itself. My mouth filled with the taste of iron and a warm stream dribbled down my chin.

I was not aware of anything outside my car and I felt paralyzed by shock. When my door flung open, I carefully turned my head to see what was happening. I recognized two people as I felt myself lifted from my seat. One was standing over me, holding my legs; the other must’ve been behind me with their arms under my shoulders.

My vision was returning to focus as I was laid down in the backseat of someone’s car. I pressed my eyes closed to help them focus, when I opened them again, I recognized Applejack staring down at me. My head was gently rested in her lap and I could feel her coarse hands running through my hair. With every ounce of strength I could muster, I lifted my hand to caress her cheek and attempted to call her name. I managed to croak out, “App-jak.” Having only uttered her name, I gasped desperately for another shallow breath, and let my arm go limp, leaving a red streak where I had held her cheek.

As the blood started to pool in my mouth, Applejack tilted my head to the side and I spat it all out in the back of Sunset’s car. As I lay motionless, I felt Applejack take my hand in hers and grip it with the strong reassurance I had been craving. In that moment, I was satisfied, happy even, I was content enough to try and doze off, but Applejack grabbed my chin and when she shouted, “No!” she jolted me back into consciousness. “You can’t fall asleep now!”

I turned my head to look back up at Applejack and croaked, “I-“

Applejack interrupted me, “You could die if you fall asleep now!”

I reached back up to her and grasped her flowing blonde hair firmly, leaving more red streaks as stray hairs slipped through my fingers. “I’m…going, home.” I gasped.

On the long road to the hospital, I desperately wanted to give up and leave the waking world behind. To my comfort, Applejack wouldn’t let me leave her behind. As much as I wanted to fall asleep and never wake up, I wanted to be in her arms and never let go even more.

When we arrived at the hospital, the last thing I remembered was being separated from AJ as I was rushed into the emergency room. The doctors, nurses, and orderlies were scrambling to save my life, but it was clearly a futile endeavor. I clung desperately to life with memories of my time with Applejack, my dad, my mom, and my short time at Canterlot High. Eventually, I was overwhelmed by my injuries and lost consciousness.

Sunset Shimmer was sitting next to Applejack in the waiting room. Since they got there, Sunset had been letting Applejack sob into her shoulder, after a while, AJ had calmed down to the point of staring into her lap, fidgeting. Sunset carefully placed a hand on AJ’s back, “I…have to go call someone, are you going to be okay for a few minutes?” She asked sweetly. Applejack nodded slowly in response, and Sunset walked into the hall to make her phone call.

While the girls were still waiting to hear about my condition, Applejack spotted Adagio wander nervously into the waiting room. She grimaced at Adagio and swiftly stood up to confront her. Adagio hadn’t seen Applejack until AJ called out to her, “Just what do you think YOU’RE doin here?”

Sunset Shimmer quickly jumped to Adagio’s defense, “I called her here.” She declared. Applejack glared at Sunset expectantly. “Like it or not, you’re both a big part of his life, and you both deserve to be here. Just in case…” Sunset halted her speech and stared at the ground bashfully. “…you know.”

Adagio covered her face with her hands and began to sob softly as Sunset helped her find a seat. Meanwhile, Applejack folded her arms and reluctantly sat beside Sunset Shimmer.

I don’t know when I lost consciousness or how long I was out. When I woke, I recognized my dad sitting at my bedside. As I stirred, I saw him frantically reach for my hand. “Son..?”

I recognized his voice and answered the best I could. “Dad.” With the help of the apparatus around my mouth, I drew a deep breath, “I’m sorry. I let you down.” I wheezed.

My dad held my hand tighter and reassured me. “Don’t talk like that. You made your mistakes, but you’re still my son, and I love you.”

I drew another deep breath, “I’m going home…to Mom.” I could tell I was not long for this world, I wasn’t ready to go just yet, but my conscious mind was fading. Through my dreamlike haze, I could hear my dad turning the room upside down. I couldn’t move to watch him. This time, I killed someone he loved and I felt horribly ashamed of myself. Over the course of my wild times at CHS, I ended feeling all alone except for Adagio. I wish it didn’t take a fatal accident for me to understand the opposite was true.

The next time I came to, my mind and body were further gone, but I could see there were three different visitors in my room now. Sunset Shimmer, Adagio and Applejack all sat beside my bed and as I stirred, Applejack and Adagio rose to their feet. Sunset placed a hand on Applejack’s shoulder and motioned for Adagio to approach my bedside.

Adagio stepped cautiously up to my bed, biting her lower lip, tears welling up in her eyes. She let out a deep breath and started speaking to me in a shaky voice, “I’m…sorry. I feel responsible for all of this.” I shook my head meekly, as if it would relieve her conscience. It takes two to tango after all, I didn’t have to play along with her, but I did. She continued on, ruing her actions since she met me. I really wish I could have listened, but I was on my way out. As the world around me started fading, I felt Adagio gingerly grasp my wrist. When I looked up to see what she was doing, I saw she had joined my hand and Applejack’s. As my fingers tenderly wrapped around AJ’s hand, it was as if I had caught a second wind. It was like she was anchoring me to the land of the living. “I never should have come between you two.” I heard Adagio mumble.

I turned my head as much as I could to look at Applejack. Her beautiful eyes were overflowing with heartbreak. Not the same heartbreak, not angry heartbreak. This time, she stared into my eyes with tragic heartbreak, and it hurt even worse than before. Too little too late, I realized that she loved me all along, as much as I loved her. Even after I lied to her, betrayed her, she never for a minute stopped loving me. Now, what hurt the most was that my foolishness and refusal to give up a life long gone would separate us forever. “I love you.” I croaked through my breathing apparatus.

Applejack wiped the tears from her eyes with her free hands and whispered back, “I love you too.” With all my remaining strength, I tightened my grasp around her hand. After a long silence, Applejack whispered to me, “I forgive you.” I looked up at her in disbelief and she added, “I forgive all the lies, the racing, Adagio, every…stupid way you’ve ever hurt me…I forgive you.”

I slowly drew a breath as deep as I could and squeezed it out to form the sentiment, “Thank you.”

“I know how bad you been hurt Sugarcube. I know how it feels.” She gently placed her free hand on my head and carefully ran it through my hair. “You’re not alone.”

There was a warm sensation in my heart. I wish I could have said something to Applejack, but my strength was failing me again. Even a young woman as strong as her, couldn’t keep me tethered to the world forever. I had said my last, all I could do now was watch and listen. All I had wanted since I came to CHS, was to hold onto Applejack as long as I could. Now, it looked like I would die doing just that. It almost made my passing bearable, except in the front of my mind, I couldn’t ignore how Applejack would feel being left behind. When I was about ready to go however, I realized that she would not be alone. She had her family, her friends. She would have the strength to carry on like I never could. Her unwavering strength was one of the qualities of hers that I had fallen in love with. It was comforting to witness especially now. The thought put me completely at ease, it even put a smile on my face.

I decided to use the very last of my energy to tell her, “I love you.” Having said that, I closed my eyes and released her hand from my grip, although she defiantly kept mine in her grasp. My breaths were now shallow and far between, I could only hear the beep of my heart monitor, each beep further away than the last. The instant I heard the monitor flat line, I felt a rough pair of lips tenderly pressed against my forehead, and then, nothing.