• Published 9th May 2015
  • 2,062 Views, 63 Comments

Street Dreams - DJDJ



The battle of the bands is over. The Dazzlings are vanquished, while they're licking their wounds, a hot shot street racer transfers to CHS from out of town.

  • ...
7
 63
 2,062

Chapter 1: Strange New School

Moving day. New town new house new school, this will be a real Tabula Rasa for me. I was able to pile most of my own stuff in my car, if only as an excuse not to have to ride with Dad. As a bonus, I can take my time and look around this new town at my own pace. It’s such a nice town, just the right size, big enough to not be boring, not too big to have too much traffic.

After I’d had enough of the tour, I revved up my turbo powered in line 4 cylinder and screeched away from a red light finally making my way “home”. When I arrived, my dad was standing on the new lawn clearly waiting for me. I rolled down my passenger window as he approached. “You took your time getting here,” I smiled and shrugged.

“Got lost,” I joked. He smiled at me.

“How convenient you found your way when we’re just finishing up…Come on, I’ll help you with your things.”

With the hard work done, there were still a few boxes laying around my new room but it was definitely time for a nap. I collapsed on my bed staring up at the ceiling and sighed. The thoughts of what could possibly happen tomorrow swirled in my head. Too tired to worry, I soon fell asleep.

The next thing I know the alarm was buzzing on my phone. I quickly silenced it and grabbed my keys off the dresser. MY dad must've be fast asleep by 1 AM. I snuck out the back door, since I didn’t have a house key yet and I didn’t want to leave the front door unlocked. When I reached my car illuminated by the nearby street light, I couldn’t help but admire. It wasn’t much, just a compact sedan, but boy howdy was it nice, with a sleeping beast under the hood. I ran my hand over the urban camo wrap meant to match my favorite shirts. When I turned the key, the engine purred to life and, quietly as I could I set off.

The tantalizingly empty freeway could only make me wonder…but before I had time to form a proper thought, something roared by me and with a grin on my face the chase was on. I dropped one gear and compressed the accelerator pedal to the undercarriage of my vehicle. It didn’t take me long but I caught up to whatever passed me, a light blue two door coupe with some kind of lightning pattern. The other driver rolled down his passenger window and I rolled down my driver window. The light blue driver with blue hair, and gold lightning bolt pin shouted between vehicles “I’m Soarin. How about a 50 roll? First one to back off loses a bill,” I grinned, my only answer was to honk my horn once. We both rolled up our windows. I honked my horn a second time and turned my attention to the road. No one for what looked like miles. On the third honk I buried the gas pedal. We were neck and neck even as we crossed 100mph neither one of us was ready to flinch. At 115 however, I only kept going faster and faster, Soarin apparently had enough and he backed down. I knew I was really going to like it here.

I woke up once again this time to the tune of my alarm clock. This time I changed out of my clothes before getting to bed. After dressing myself I headed to the kitchen for breakfast to find my dad at the table glaring at me as I came in. He was holding a yellow ticket, my ticket. “This is your third one this year…” I shrugged innocently and grabbed a glass of milk while I let him chew me out. “I am so sick of paying for these. One more and I’m having that thing cubed,” I waited to finish my drink before replying

“Whatever…” I immediately left for school in no mood to put up with his lectures. There was one student parking space open thankfully close to the school. I pulled in and shut off the ignition, I decided to pause for a minute to admire the place, and I hadn’t bothered to learn anything about it yet. Looked like I’d even like it here. My classes went by uneventfully it wasn’t until lunch time when anything interesting happened.

There was that driver from last night. In the cafeteria, he was sitting with a small group, it looked like they were all wearing the same pin he was. I seem to recall leaving him in my dust before collecting on his little wager. I’d let go of ever seeing him again when I got home, but I’m owed what I’m owed. Foregoing the lunch line I made straight for Soarin’s table. “Hey, hey Soarin right? Drive that crazy blue car?” He and all his friends looked at me suspiciously and I could only smile arrogantly. “Don’t remember me?” I hold up my t shirt trying to get him to recognize the camo pattern, which was the same on my car. “Come on man, don’t play me like a violin I know you know,” The silence persisted and my smile faded. “Alright I see I’m not making friends here, but I remember making a bet with you last night. Just want what I’m owed.”

I held out my hand hoping he wouldn’t make a big deal out of nothing. One of his friends, a girl with yellow skin and hair that looked like it was made of fire bumped his shoulder. “Soarin, did this cheesy fool mop the floor with you or what? Pay him what you owe,” Reluctantly, Soarin reached into his pocket and placed a $100 bill in my hand. I pocketed the cash and Soarin’s friend bumped my arm to get my attention. “Sorry about my boy here, he got money you know it’s a pride thing for him,” I turned to leave and mumbled to her.

“Sure no worries…” Before I could leave she grabbed my arm.

“Hey, name’s Spitfire. These…” She gestured to her friends with her free hand “…Are the Wonderbolts. Soarin was saying you got guts. Most of us would’ve backed off at a buck ten, if what he said is true, you should run with us. You look like you got what it takes.” We just stared at each other for a few moments. I wasn’t looking to get mixed up in a crew but maybe I should just run with them while I get used to the racing scene. “11 PM Luna Drive if you’re interested.” She turned and sat back down with her friends, the “Wonderbolts”.