• Published 5th May 2015
  • 2,131 Views, 21 Comments

Spike's having a......ruff time - DeltaXeno1138



Spike didn't mind being a dog in the human world. Now he has to deal with it in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 21
 2,131

Chapter 4

"So what's the deal with this raid again?"

Spike was running alongside Winona with Liam leading in front of them, while the rest of the pack trailed behind. Randy, surprisingly, was keeping pace with Liam, running alongside the husky. Heather ran behind Liam and Randy and in front of Spike and Winona. Rose ran close behind the two youngest members, with Rita and William at the tail, running side by side.

"[It's kind of a tradition for dog packs to occasionally crash a cat party!]" Winona said in response to Spike's question, having to yell due to the wind rushing past them as they ran. Spike would've asked earlier if the pack hadn't taken off almost immediately, forcing him to catch up. "[Trust me, it's super fun!]"

"[If you say so]" Spike said while mentally shrugging his shoulders "[How is Randy keeping up with Liam?! His legs are super short!]"

"[None of us knows! It's freaky right?!]"

"[I heard that!]" Randy exclaimed as he suddenly appeared beside the pair, startling both of them "[And to answer your question: It's just one of the things that makes Randy a baller!]" Randy picked up some speed, returning to Liam's side, not waiting to hear any response Spike had. Which was to look at Winona questioningly.

"[Just go with it]"

After five more minutes of running, Liam called out to the rest of the pack "[Coming up on the cat house!]" and slowed his run until he was just walking, the other dogs doing the same. They eventually stopped about forty feet away from an abandoned and shabby house, which had lights coming from the windows and jazzy music emanating from it.

"This...is where...Opalescence...is?" Spike asked as he panted from the long run.

"[I know right?]"

"[You can chit chat later]" Liam said with authority "[Let's get some water and plan the raid.]" Liam began walking to a nearby pond that looked nowhere near as nice as the one they had all convened at.

"Wait, there's no plan?" Spike asked as he followed with the rest of the pack.

"[Dogs don't really plan ahead for things]" Winona informed him "[At least not in great detail.]"

"[That's right]" Randy said, once again approaching the pair "[But don't think that means you can doubt Liam. No one questions Big boss Liam, new guy. Come on, you gotta be hydrated if you're going in first.]" Randy walked away, joining Liam at the pond to get a drink, leaving Spike confused.

"I'm going in first?"

"[Yeah, he-he]" Winona said nervously as they approached the pond "[I kind of forgot to mention that; Liam will explain it to you.]"

Spike cocked an eyebrow at the statement, but decided not to press further and joined the rest of the pack for a drink. As they all lapped their tongues at the water, Spike stopped when he caught Rose eyeing him very intently, causing him to stop and look at her in confusion. Rose stopped drinking and winked at him in response, which made him turn his head down and resume drinking at a nervously faster pace, much to the Rose's amusement and Winona's narrow eyed annoyance.

Once they finished, Liam explained to Spike that it was tradition for the newest pack member to burst in on the cat's get-together and begin the raid by shouting "Cat Raid." Spike felt a little unsure, but received vocal support from the rest of the pack as he approached the house.

"[You'll do fine mate!]"

"[We all do on our first time]"

"[This should be easy after fighting off an army and slaying a king]"

"Uh, I didn't actually-"

"[I believe in you cutie]" Rose said, interrupting Spike's response to the Yorkshire.

"[Rose!]" Winona growled threateningly to the fellow border collie. "[I believe in you too]" she uttered to Spike "[And stay away from her.]"

"[Thanks, and you don't have to tell me twice]" Spike assured her before shuddering slightly "[She kind of scares me. So, how do I do this? Just run through the door?]"

"[If you want]" Winona said with a shrug "[Do what your gut tells you.]"

Spike turned to face the house and began to take in it's appearance, calculating how to proceed as the jazzy music continued. He wanted to make a good impression with the rest of the pack, especially Winona. He then noticed that the ceiling had a hole in the roof and there was a discarded ladder leaned against one of the walls. It was missing the first few steps however, starting about a head above him. He looked around and found a small tree with a few cardboard boxes stacked near it.

He quickly ran to the boxes and hopped onto them before jumping to the lowest branch and grabbing hold with his front paws. He struggled lightly before pulling himself up completely and walking across it. Once he reached the end, he readied himself and jumped forward, latching onto the first of the remaining steps with his teeth. He was able to pull himself up to hold on with his paws and begin climbing up.

"[Creative]" Liam noted.

"[Athletic]" Rose noted, eliciting another threatening growl from Winona.

Spike reached the top of the ladder and was able to pull himself onto the roof and approached the hole. When he looked in, he couldn't believe what he saw. The jazz music had stopped, now replaced by a single harp, which was being played by Opal. The real shocker was that she was singing her own solo in an amazingly beautiful voice, for a cat. Perfect the dog in Spike's mind said, still sore at the cat. He then took note of some boxes directly below, which would allow him to jump down, surprise the cats, interrupt Opal's solo, and begin the raid. The universe seemed to have other plans however.

Spike stepped closer to the hole and his paw rested on a tile that was a little too loose. The tile soon slid out of place, throwing Spike off balance and causing him to fall through.

"[Where every note is ouuuuut of siiiiiiiii-]"

"Whoa!" Spike exclaimed as he fell through, interrupting Opal, and drawing the attention of the cats and the pack waiting outside. Spike landed through the loose lids of the box, the force of the impact causing it to fall off the stack, land on another box, launch a plate into the air that shattered on the floor in the middle of the feline audience, startling most of them before finally landing on the floor.

The pack readied themselves as they heard the commotion and the few startled screeches. The cats looked at the box on the floor curiously, while Opal looked on annoyingly at having been interrupted.

Seconds passed before Spike finally took the opportunity. He burst through the top of the box and shouted the words "CAT RAAAAAAIIIIIIIIID!" The rest of the pack immediately charged in through the doorway and a hole in the wall while barking. The cats screeched in surprise and scattered, running off or running throughout the house while being chased by the barking pack members.

"[ARF ARF ARF! ARF ARF!]"

"[That's right! All the pussies run away when Randy's in the house!]"

Heather was about to respond but took a moment to think, and decided not to "[Nah, too easy]." Randy's small barks didn't actually do much to scare the cats, more like annoy them away.

Spike soon joined in, barking with the rest of his pack. As he ran around, chasing and barking at the felines, he felt a form of exhilaration he had never felt before. The rush, the adrenaline, the feeling of showing that dogs were far better than cats, it was incredible. It got the addition of warm and comforting when he chased alongside Winona. She looked powerful and assertive when she barked at the cats, and beautiful from the way her fur moved about.

"[Damn it Winona we had a deal!]" Opalescence exclaimed from a shelf she had leapt up to.

"[Yeah!]" Winona confirmed "[That I would talk to the pack about no more raids. They said no.]"

"[Oh I'm going to tell The Caretaker and she will tell Mistress and she- YOU!]" Opal exclaimed when she saw Spike join Winona's side, looking up at her smugly. "[Oh you will definitely face the consequences for this.]"

"[Well this makes us even for how you talked to me!]" Spike barked at the feline. Opal would've responded if Liam didn't step in to bark at her, scaring her off comically.

"[AAAAAH!]"

Another minute later, the remaining cats finally exited the house, running off into the night and leaving behind the triumphant dogs.

"[That was the most baller thing ever!]" Randy shouted.

"[You're nuts junior! You're nuts!]" William exclaimed.

"[Simply smashing Spike]" Rita complimented.

"[Definitely not what I expected]" Heather commented.

"Aw you guys" Spike replied bashfully.

"[Arousing]"

"[Rose!]" Winona shouted angrily.

"[I must say I'm quite impressed]" Liam said, stopping the immanent struggle between the collies. "[You'll make a fine addition to our pack, young Spike.]" Spike beamed with pride at Liam's comment, incredibly glad to receive the husky's praise for some reason.

"[See Liam?]" Randy stated as he stood by the leader's side "[I told you this would be good for us. Now even more bitches will love me.]"

"[Even more?]" Rose asked "[As in there were already some who did?]"

"[Ha ha ha]" Randy said sarcastically as the others chuckled at his expense "[That was so funny I forgot how to laugh.]"

The pack all said their goodbyes and final congratulations to Spike before going their separate ways.

"[I'm gonna spread the word about this to the other packs]" Randy stated "[We're gonna be Legends!]"

Rose offered to accompany Spike to the Apple farm to "congratulate" him even more, to Winona's displeasure. Thankfully, Spike informed her that Twilight was expecting him back soon and most likely wouldn't like a strange dog in the library. Rose disappointingly rolled over, ha-ha, and departed while swishing her tail slowly.

"[Ugh]" Winona groaned in response "[Wait, I don't remember The Librarian saying that.]" Spike looked at Winona with a smirk, eliciting a gasp of surprise and happiness "[No way! You lied!]"

"[She doesn't know that]" Spike said smugly "[Come on, let's go to the pond again, I'm still a little hyped from the raid.]"

"[Sure!]" Winona replied as she caught up to Spike. During the walk, she took a moment to admire Spike in the moonlight. He was rather cute, and the way he started the raid was amazing. She quickly shifted her head forward when Spike almost caught her.


"[Here we are]" Winona said as they approached the visually stunning oasis.

"[And it's still beautiful]" Spike noted before casting a look to Winona "[Along with it's present company]." Winona's head reared slightly in surprise before she looked away, blushing lightly. Spike thought the little display was incredibly cute before noting the abundance of fireflies and getting an idea. "[Hey, watch this]" he said before running toward the insects.

Winona looked on curiously as Spike began to snap at the fireflies, catching them in his mouth. Spike turned to Winona and gave her a toothy smile, which appeared luminescent from the fireflies stuck behind his teeth. She laughed at the display before approaching him and lightly brushing his head with a paw, causing him to release the insects. "[Goofball]" she said with a chuckle.

"[So, you wanna just stare at the stars?]" Spike asked a little bashfully.

"[Love to]" Winona replied before taking a seat beside her friend. After a minute of staring at the stars, she shifted her eyes to Spike and back to the sky before scooting closer, snuggling the purple and green dog. Spike didn't even question why she did this, laying his head on top of hers with a smile, lightly snuggling the top.

After a few more minutes, Winona removed her head from Spike's shoulder, drawing his attention. The two young canines looked into each others eyes, noting how the reflected moonlight made them sparkle slightly. Ina moment of boldness, Winona leaned forward and lightly bit Spike's snout very gently, which made Spike reel back in confusion. In response, Winona looked away in embarrassment, blushing profusely. Oh gosh, why did I do that?!

Spike took a moment to recall something he learned from his mandatory studies from his earlier childhood. I know that from somewhere. Oh yeah, wolves bite each others snouts as a sign of affection. Spike then realized that Winona basically kissed him, and that it did feel quite affectionate to him.

"[Hey]" Spike said, drawing Winona's attention. Winona looked at Spike unsurely, only to receive a reassuring smile from him. She eventually smiled back, relieved that Spike wasn't mad or shocked beyond belief. Then she was surprised when in his own moment of boldness, he lightly bit her snout as she did to his. The two smiled at each other for a short time before Spike walked to the nearby tree and laid down, indicating to Winona to join him. Winona gladly complied and laid down next to Spike, snuggling in with content.

Deciding to come out on top, Winona turned to Spike and liked his cheek, making him blush like mad. The two snuggled into one another and let sleep take a hold of them.

The last thought that went through Spike's mind was: Interesting development..........Dear Celestia, that was a Twilight thought.

The last thought that went through Winona's mind was: Take that, Rose! And yay!

Author's Note:

Much shorter than I thought it would be.