• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 303 Views, 3 Comments

Sympathy And Falsehood - Theponycipher



What would you do if you had unlimited power at your fingertips? What would you do if obtaining it meant the end of the world? What would you do if the world didn't like you much anyways?

  • ...
 3
 303

Hive

S Y M P A T H Y
A N D
F A L S E H O O D


1 - Hive


Impact

Words pounded against the Changelings with all other hive messages. Flashes and bangs pierced the air. Maddening noise was abound. As the carnage of the battlefield raged, a wave of pink energy rushed towards the insects, killing some by impact, and throwing the rest aside like forgotten toys. Words droned against their heads, but the signal was meaningless in the face of death. A few of them braced themselves for the imminent impact. Bodies shattered on the floor. The lucky ones were impaled by spikes. Scattered throughout the land were a precious few living changelings.

Severance

The words were weaker, as many changelings were dead. No sooner had the message struck against their heads, then an agonizing pain had ripped through the changelings. The tumor that was the queen was violently broken away, rending the mind in the process. Shredded pieces floating in the void were all that remained of the hive, but it was still enough for one last, hopeless signal.

The Queen is dead.


What is he?

Misguided faith

Is that his power?

No. His power is sympathy.


Stranded pieces of nowhere floated in an inky infinity. The emptiness had no form, and that was the form that it did not have. Paradoxical musings flitted about. The world was in statis for an immeasurable forever.

And then: thought.

If that empty void was nothing, than thought was everything. He woke. He stretched his mental projection. The hive had recovered. No. He had recovered. He was the hive in all it's entirety. His influence would spread beyond his changelings.

This time, there would be no mistakes.


Rebuild

The sound of blood echoed past marginally maddening neurons. Noise clicked mechanically into place, a system growing from the chaos. The void was burned aside by the light of knowledge. A steady wail throbbed. The hive had a voice. The hive disspeared into the mind of a foal, as he opened his eyes. The foal had a pastel blue coat, with a forest green mane. All the world stretched out before the nameless child.


Far off in Canterlot, a changeling by the name of Pandora stood in the Morphus Rehabilitation Center. Or rather, she limped excitedly in a circle, a lopsided grin plastered across her false face. Her reason for excitement was simple. She was going to be the first changeling integrated into high society, and she was honored. The doctor smiled proudly. For her new life, she had made herself a new body, original from the tip of her tail to the top of her mane. She had a deep violet coat, groomed until glistening, magenta hair that sparkled in the sun, and a brace with which to support her leg.

"Be sure to visit if you are ever too hungry!" The doctor reminded her, nuzzling Pandora's ear, before opening the door for her.

A few had gathered to watch, but the streets were mostly very full of vendors. Noises of bargain and art and beauty punctured the air like a bird's call. Her saddlebags may have been loaded, but most of the objects sparked her curiosity. Auctions in the streets seemed quite tempting, but she passed by them, heading straight for the tailor.

As she entered the surprisingly small shop, a bell dinged politely. A pastel blue unicorn stallion in a deep blue suit teleported behind the desk with an inquisitive glance at the leg brace.

"Greetings." He spoke, the words rolling off his tongue. "I imagine you are here for attire?"

Pandora gulped. She had been in training for this sort of situation before, but that was training. She picked a book from her saddlebags, quickly skimming a lesson in proper manners, before putting it back. Alas, she replaced it too late.

"Why in Equestria would you need a book on pony behaviors?" Light dawned in his eyes "Unless you aren't actually a pony..."

Pandora swallowed her doubt. "You got me. I am in fact, Pandora Rakth, and I am Changeling.".

"Your fear is matched only by the length of your name. Let us fix both those with a simple nickname. Does 'Pandy' Work?"

Pandora burst out laughing, despite her fears. "Fine with me, as long as we actually get something done."

The shopkeeper nodded, taking her measurement. "My name is Suitable Demeanor." He pulled back, teleporting away. Pandora took the opportunity to view the portraits of royal guards adorning the walls. Engraved on the paintings were names such as "Stern Demeanor". A few moments later, Suitable returned with a violet dress. Pandora paid him, and walked out oblivious to the watching foal on the roof.


Sympathy for what?

The devil.

How is that possible?

Because he is just as bad.


Influence

The foal closed his eyes, feeling the minds of others buzzing around him like bees. He reached out with the hive, and grabbed at the strings. He could smell through their noses, see through their eyes. He pulled the minds closer, willing them to him. He could feel the din of resitsance as he subtly brought them ever closer to the demise of their free will.


Pandora wandered through the library, somewhat lost. All around her, ponies spoke with each other, their voices bleeding together in a song of kin. She desperately wished she coud join, but she was just not the same. Pandora stood, shifting her weight from hoof to hoof. As she waited on the edge of the room, a pony turned to look at her.

Her mint coat and blue mane were well groomed, beyond what Pandora would be willing to do. She seemed to have put excessive care into her mane. However, under the beautiful mane, an ugly scar lay slightly visible. Nonetheless, her face was kind as she turned, giving the impression of someone likeable.

Before either of them could speak however, a web of darkness ensnared the room. A somewhat spidery net of shadows drew ever-closer. Pandora limped hurriedly closer to the ponies, smelling fear on them. As they waited, a black presence strolled into the room. He was small, young, and his eyes burned with bloodshed.

The hive had arrived.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Be sure to let me know what you liked or disliked, and I shall improve it.