• Published 14th May 2015
  • 2,019 Views, 90 Comments

What the Heart Craves - ocalhoun



The tumultuous romance and drama of a young mare's greatest crisis.

  • ...
17
 90
 2,019

Chapter 10: Need

Chapter 10 – Need

Bella ran for the schoolyard as fast as she could while taking care to avoid the icy patches. The inexplicable little sick spell she'd had this morning had made her late, and she was anxious to make up the lost time.

Running didn't feel good with her stomach still unsettled, but her dad had been right. She'd missed enough school lately. She didn't need to add being late on top of it all.

When she rounded the last corner, though, it didn't look good. The schoolyard was empty. Everypony had already gone inside.

She rushed across the yard and up to the door. Through the little window in the door, she could see ponies filing into classrooms.

Good, I'm not too late! Bella put a hoof on the door, ready to push it open.

The sound of hooves pounding came from behind her. Somepony was running.

Bella stopped and turned to look. Her jaw dropped.

It was Silver Spoon. Ragged strands of her mane fell all over her face, and she was running to school in a desperate hurry. The black eye she'd had earlier was almost healed, but behind it, her eyes were red and puffy. She stopped near the entrance, standing just out of reach and staring at Bella. She was frozen there, panting from her run.

Bella stared back, only gradually realizing that she was still holding the door and in Silver's way. I should say something. She caught her own breath, tired from her own running. “Um... I...” Wincing, she glanced away. Stupid. Why can't I say anything?

The school's bell rang, signaling that they were officially late for class.

Still, neither of them moved.

Bella shook herself. Come on, say it! It took a couple long, deep breaths, but she finally found her voice.

“Silver?” She took another deep breath. “I need to say it. I'm sorry. Really sorry, not like last time ... and I'm sorry for that, too.” She could feel her own pride trying to hold her back, like trying to walk forward with a rubber band tied to her tail. It didn't want to let go. But I want Spoony more. “I was wrong. Wrong to cheat on you, wrong to make excuses—” she gulped “—and especially wrong to say such awful things about you.”

Silver stared hard at Bella, her lips in a thin, hard line. She was trembling a little and blinking more than normal.

Looking down at the ground, Bella resigned herself to wait. If she doesn't want to answer ... that's her business.

“You just don't get it, do you?”

The words hit Bella like ice water. That was not something she wanted to hear. But I apologized like Vinyl said. What did I do wrong? She looked up at Silver. The hint of a sneer Silver gave her shut her down, clamping her throat shut, keeping her from saying anything. It tore through her, crushing every part of her. That's it. Spoony's never coming back. My life is over.

“You were the only pony in my life I could”— Silver's voice cracked —“I could really trust.” She was crying now, her face twisted in an awful grimace. “But then you showed me the truth – that deep down inside, everypony is hiding some kind of monster.”

“I... Some ponies aren't—”

Bella, I can't trust you! How could I ever be with a pony I can't trust?” Silver turned away. “I can't!”

Bella's eyes felt too dry, her throat more choked than ever. But I have to say something! He held out her hoof. “Spoony...”

Silver didn't turn. “I'm not—” she sniffled “—going to sit around and be your plaything in between parties!” She began stomping off, snapping her hooves down and sending bits of wet frost splattering away.

Silver tore Bella's heart out as she left – the pain was unbearable. Bella would do anything if only things could be okay again. But what could she do? Silver was gone, gone for good, all for one stupid mistake. It was all the drug's fault, and the party's. The party...

“Okay,” Bella said, “I'll never go to another party. Ever.” She blinked. Did I really just say that?

Whirling to face her, Silver stared. Her eyes were wide, darting back and forth all over Bella as the tears dried from them. “But... You love parties!”

“I love you more. More than parties, more than anything.” The words came out faster than Bella could control, but once they were out, she knew they were true.

Silver's tears returned, but now they were squeezed out by a huge grin. “I love you, Bella!”

Rushing into her, Bella wrapped Silver in a tight hug, pressing the two of them together. “I love you too, Spoony. Forever.”

It seemed like ages they clung together, holding each other as close as they could, each one's tears soaking into the other's shoulder. Eventually, though, Bella pulled back so she could look silver in her pretty violet eyes. “I guess we'd better get to class. We're going to be really late now.”

Silver's eyes didn't waver at all. There was a fire in them. Without warning, she darted forward and kissed Bella, diving deep into her and holding her. Though both of them were breathing heavily, Silver brought her hoof up behind Bella's head and held her tight, savoring the fiery kiss.

Everything that had been torn out of Bella, everything she had lost, came flooding back, erupting from the power of Silver's smooth, soft lips.

When they finally parted, Silver smiled coyly. “I've missed you, Bella.”

Bella's eyes opened wider. There was no mistaking the slight huskiness in Silver's voice.

“And my father will be at work by now.” Silver leaned in close, whispering into Bella's ear, tickling the fine hairs there. “Let's go to my house instead.”


Stop! Do not use Fimfiction links to the next chapter: use these instead.
The next chapter is an optional clop chapter. Do you want to read it?
Yes. Take me to the optional clop chapter. (Chapter 10b: Bliss) (A link to chapter 11 will be provided at the end.)
No. Skip the optional clop chapter. (Go directly to Chapter 11: Satisfaction)