• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 2,611 Views, 23 Comments

The Baker and The Mailmare - Eggtaro



Opening a bakery shop in Ponyville is tough. Especially when Sugar Cube Corner is right next door. You'd think that ponies be lining up my door, eagerly waiting to buy every single pastry, bread and cake I have to offer. Nope. No pony comes. Just her

  • ...
5
 23
 2,611

A Muffin For Your Belly?

Author's Note:

First of all, to docontra, if you're reading this, I want to say thanks for helping me out with the last two chapters. (Hope I didn't do badly with this one though!)

Well, here it is folks! The next chapter. I hope you guys will enjoy and continue to enjoy this story. Please, leave me a comment or feedback, as I would really like to know what you think. :yay:

Have you guys watched the third episode of season 5? Pretty nice episode.

Oh yeah, was listening to this while typing. It really helps get the brain thinking. :raritystarry:

Anyway, thank you for the support, and stay tuned for the next update!

Just like yesterday (and all the other days before yesterday), work has just been the same. Nothing has changed.

Business was, of course, horrible as usual. Not that I was expecting anything life-changing to suddenly happen. Life here in Ponyville isn't really like some video game where the hero of the story (which is me) suddenly goes on an epic adventure and finds himself face to face with exciting dangers: accepting ridiculous quests to go slay monstrous monsters, gathering herbs for some lazy old man, or maybe entering some dark dungeon to save some damsel who, for whatever reason, got lost in an abandoned castle.

Yup, Ponyville has none of that. Just simple living here. Don't worry about getting bored. You'd get used to it after a while. The peacefulness, the calmness, and all those other 'ness' words.

Okay, I might be exaggerating a little here. There was that one time when Ponyville suddenly had that downpour of chocolate rain (long story, trust me). But anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that life in Ponyville is pretty much the same for me everyday. I seriously hope it will change soon, though. I really need those bits.

So here I am now, closing my shop and getting ready to head home. I'm so glad I didn't bake a lot today; I hate having to deal with too much leftovers. But I do have some leftover little lemon tarts with me.

And before you ask, no. This is not my dinner. I love baking, but that doesn't mean I'm going to eat them for every meal. That's just crazy.

No, the lemon tarts are actually for somepony else. Surprising, I know. I, too thought no pony would dare to eat my goods. But she really loves them, and it makes me a little happy knowing that she enjoys them.

Better get going then, don't wanna be late.

* * * * * *

Ever since the crash landing in my shop, I haven't seen much of Derpy. I did manage to spot her several times during my morning walks, but she was far too busy to notice me. She's incredibly hard-working, that mare.

But that still doesn't explain why she only eats one meal a day. She can't be that busy right? Wouldn't she be working herself to death? I mean what if she gets really tired one day and suddenly falls from the sk---

CRASH!

"OW!" What in the fluffy fluff of fluffiness just happened? Somepony has just crashed into me! Crashed on my head! I'm very lucky my neck didn't break from that impact. Just who---

Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

"Derpy?" The two of us were on the ground by the way, with her sprawled on my stomach.

The lemon tarts are safe, don't worry folks.

"Derpy?" I repeated, shaking her body with my hand. Her eyes blinked, and she slowly pushed herself up from my body, massaging her forehead with a free hoof.

"S-swasea?" she said incomprehensibly, after taking a look at me.

"Saucy."

"That's what I said."

"No, you said sweeswee." That's what it sounded like to me. What did you hear?

"Did I...did I fall?"

I think she did. FROM THE SKY.

"Are you alright, Derpy?" I asked. I know I'm not.

"I'm f-fine!" she said. "I just...dozed off for a minute."

"While you were in the air? Have you gone mad?"

"I do it all the time. Especially when I'm feeling a little tired."

"No, Derpy. No. If you are tired, you sleep in bed!" That's like the bed's job description for crying out loud! To provide comfort and to wash away tiredness!

"I can't go to bed right now." Derpy said, yawning. "I still have work to be done."

"But it's evening already! Doesn't everypony finishes work at this hour?"

"Not this pony!" she said weakly, but with pride. She even bumped her hoof on her chest. "Sleep is the last thing that's on my mind. Besides, I'm full of energy! Can't you tell?"

Nope. There were bags under her eyes, and she can barely keep her eyes open. She looks exhausted. Very exhausted.

"Derpy, I don't think you're okay." I said. "I think you need rest."

Derpy winced at the word 'rest'. "I can't." she said softly, spreading her wings open, preparing to fly. "I need to finish my work."

This is getting out of hoo--- hand. Derpy's clearly working herself to death. Why is she working so hard? Is her job really that important to her? I mean, I know jobs are important and all, but that doesn't mean you can't rest for even a minute.

"Derpy, why don't you take a short break?"

She shook her head. "I already told you. I can't" She began flapping her wings, lifting herself several inches from the ground. "I've got to finish this."

Man, this mare is almost as stubborn as the Apples. But so am I. This mare needs rest, and I'm going to ensure she gets it! If you were in my shoes, you'd do the same.

Fortunately, I have just the trick to get her to rest. My trump card. My Ace. My ultimate finisher. My c-c-c-combo breaker.

Muffins.

"What about a muffin break?" I suggested.

Derpy's eyes shone so brightly, it blinded me for a few seconds. She zoomed straight up to my face, bringing her muzzle close to my face.

"Muffins? Where?" she asked with fiery enthusiasm.

I grinned. Of course I grinned, she fell right into my trap. The predator has caught its prey.

"It's over at a friend's house." I pointed in the direction I was headed to. "You wanna join us?"

Derpy nodded quickly, licking her lips. "I never say no to muffins!" she chirped happily.

Bingo.

"Well then, shall we go?"

* * * * * *

"No."

Well that wasn't what I wanted to hear.

"Oh come on, Melody! Just let me use your kitchen for like, an hour or so."

"Don't you have a functioning kitchen at home? And stop calling me Melody!"

I stared at the earth pony in front of me with disbelief. "If you haven't noticed, my house is like all the way back yonder." I jabbed a thumb behind me. "Besides, your kitchen is almost as good as mine, and you have all the ingredients I need to make my muffins!"

"Why didn't you bring any muffins from your shop then?"

"I didn't make a lot." Not since then. "I was lucky that I even managed to sell any of them today."

"And why is Derpy here? What does she has to do with your sudden need of baking muffins?"

"It's a rather long story, Melody."

"Stop calling me that!"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Fine. Octavia. Just, help me out, okay?" I gave her what I hoped was my best puppy-eyes look. "Just... talk to her, and make sure she doesn't leave. I'll explain everything to you later."

Octavia glared at me. But her glare dropped and she let out a sigh, shaking her head with a hoof covering her face.

"If it wasn't for those lemon tarts..." her voice trailed off. "You know where the kitchen is. And please don't blow the oven up like you did last time."

"That was all Vinyl's fault." I told her, giving her a wink. "It's not my fault she couldn't handle the baker's bass."

"Urgh...just go, Sauce." Octavia said, shooing me away with a wave of her hoof.

"Thanks, Melody. Love you."

"S-stop c-calling me M-M-Melody!" Octavia stuttered, her face turning bright red. "I...I'll be in the living room with Derpy."

I love teasing Octavia. Anyway, I gotta get baking. I managed to trick Derpy into thinking that I have some muffin over at Melo--- Octavia's house. But I might have failed to mention to her that it wasn't made yet. It won't take me long to make it though. I just hope Octavia is a good entertainer.

I'll be back.