• Published 15th May 2012
  • 4,733 Views, 92 Comments

Assignment: Equestria - Naxanz



A starship named the U.S.S Atropos finds a small planet with strange energy readings coming from it. Curious they investigate...

  • ...
25
 92
 4,733

Replacing with an Imposter

“Who’s there?” barked a familiar voice from inside the living quarters.

It was too dim to make out who was speaking to them. All Nick could see was a dark silhouette looming in the doorway.

Whoever was speaking must have noticed the phony captain first because the voice suddenly sighed and said, “Oh, captain, it’s only you sir… but why are you up so late? Did something happen?”

Fear suddenly struck Nick; Bellator better not screw this up!

“Well… uh… We’ve finally been able to capture that twofaced bastard Nick,” replied Bellator gruffly.

Bellator suddenly stepped aside revealing Nick who was standing behind him.

Wow, way to go Bellator!” thought Nick excitedly, “He sounded just like the captain! But did he really have to call me a twofaced bastard?

The dark figure stepped out from the shadows of his living quarters and into the dim light of the hallway revealing his identity. Nick gasped as he realized who it was.

“Nick, long time no see,” greeted Trent without almost any emotion.

“Hey Trent,” replied Nick dourly as a sudden rush of anger washed over him.

“What’s the matter Nick? I’ve never seen you this unfriendly towards me before,” asked Trent as he looked Nick over.

“What’s the matter? What’s the matter!? You turned me in! I thought… I thought I could trust you! I mean, I knew that your loyalty to the captain is above friendship for you but… After you realized that I had taken that F-56 starplane and was flying down to the planet you could have just as easily said nothing! Nobody would have known the difference, but now, thanks to you, I’m going to be sentenced to death!” exclaimed Nick furiously.

Trent was taken aback by Nick’s sudden outburst.

“L-listen Nick… I’m sorry. I really am. I never wanted you dead. You see, when I found that you didn’t report to the dissection lab I decided to ask the captain if what you said to me was true,” sighed Trent sleepily yet sincerely, “I had no idea that you had hijacked an F-56 starplane and was flying down to the planet.”

“Are you implying that you would have rather had Nick fly down to the planet!?” exclaimed Bellator; his personality was almost indistinguishable from the captain’s.

“No…” replied the Trent turning to face Bellator, “I’m just saying that I don’t want Nick to die.”

Bellator huffed, as if annoyed by Trent, “Well he has to die! He’s committed treason and that’s the only possible sentence.”

“No! They’re two possible punishments for treason!” exclaimed Trent, “One is death and the other is…”

“I know what it is!” butted Bellator heatedly, “I’ll have to think about it… Now if you’ll excuse us, I’m kind of busy!”

“Yes sir,” replied Trent stepping back into his room, “I’m sorry if I doubted your authority.”

“Wait, Trent, before you leave. I just wanted to tell you that the ponies aren’t that bad. The captain is completely wrong about them, they’re actually…”

Before Nick could finish Trent shut the door to his living quarters leaving Nick and the changeling standing outside in the hallway.

After a few moments of silence Nick quietly whispered, “You did a really good job of impersonating the captain Bellator.”

“Yeah, well, I spent about three hours studying him on your Nicole thing before we left,” replied Bellator.

“Trent said there was a second sentence for treason,” wondered Nick thoughtfully, “Do you really know what it is?”

“No… I just acted like I did to make a convincing performance,” answered Bellator.

“Oh well, I won’t have to worry about it anyway as long as we don’t get caught. Let’s move,” motioned Nick beginning to walk down the hallway again.

The changelings followed him through many twists and turns until they finally stopped in front of a door labeled, “Captain’s Quarters”.

“Ok, this is it,” sighed Nick nervously, “The captain should be sleeping in here. All we have to do is replace him with you, Bellator, and then take him back to my quarters were we’ll be teleported back down to the castle.”

“Alright, let’s do thisss,” hissed one of the changeling guards.

“The door is locked with an eye scanner. Bellator, if I’m correct, you should have copied everything about the captain, hopefully even his eyes. All you have to do is stare into this screen and try not to blink,” instructed Nick while pointing towards the eye scanner right next to the door.

“Okay,” replied Bellator gruffly.

Bellator walked up to the door and peered into the dark scanner.

“Analyzing…” informed a feminine robotic voice, “Scan complete, access granted.”

“Yes,” huffed Bellator under his breath, “Although we changelings copy an individual’s irises exactly our eye color still stays the same… I didn’t know if that would affect it or not.”

“Apparently not,” replied Nick, “Now let’s go.”

The door that led into the captain’s quarters slid open and Nick and the other changelings slipped inside. The room was dark and it was hard to make out were the captain’s bed was.

“I-I can’t see anything,” whispered Nick as he stumbled around in the dark.

“Don’t worry, usss changelings have special eyesss that can see in the dark,” hissed one of the changelings somewhat creepily.

Nick listened as he heard one of the changelings that he thought was Bellator make his way across the room.

Suddenly he heard the captain jump awake and exclaim, “Who’s there!?”

“You,” replied Bellator with a small chuckle.

There was suddenly a loud thumping sound as Bellator slammed the captain’s head against one of the metal bed posts.

“Mission accomplished,” he sighed cantankerously, “Now get him back down to castle before somebody realizes there’s two of us.”

Two of the changeling guards walked over to the real captain and picked him up before lugged him out the door. Nick followed them and then they quickly made their way back to his living quarters unnoticed. Once they were all back in Nick’s room he flipped open his communicator and sent the signal down to Nicole that they wanted to be teleported back down to the Canterlot Castle. They only had to wait a couple of minutes before suddenly there was a flash of light and they were all magically back inside the castle.