• Published 11th May 2012
  • 2,831 Views, 87 Comments

Equestria's First... Russian? - I Brained My Damage



Who ever said somebody had to be the only human in Equestria?

  • ...
7
 87
 2,831

Chapter 1 - The Beginnings

Equestria’s First… Russian?

Chapter One

The Beginnings

The year is 2027 in Russia. Citizens from the world’s two superpowers at the time are constantly in fear. The United States’ discovery of Russian nuclear missiles in several countries world-wide has caused uproar between the two democratic nations Russia and the United States of America. The two countries practically have their nuclear missiles aimed at each other, fearing that the other turn their launch keys, press the large red buttons, and cause global thermonuclear war.

Several countries including Spain, Sweden, Germany, and Greece had all been completely destroyed by the two global superpowers’ fighting; nothing remaining but the charred rubble of ancient buildings and modern masterpieces. All countries by this point fear that they are next in line.

* * * * *

*beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*

*SMASH*

“God… Monday…” the human grumbled.

Andrei Solovyov was not a morning person, or a Monday person for that fact. He stood at a staggering six foot six inches tall, slightly muscular build, and had the stare of a cockatrice; making all change their minds on a matter with a simple glare. He was constantly given the nickname “Monster” due to his terrifying appearance. Negating his terrifying appearance, he was actually a very timid and shy person. This is why he often related to Fluttershy when he watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

My Little Pony was the only thing he could use to escape what was going on around him at the time. Solovyov was a “closet brony” only due to the fact he was from Russia: the country that was home to some of the hardest bastards in the world. He never told a single soul.

Andrei sighed, “Well, just one more day, and our efforts will finally bear fruit.” He lived alone, so he paid no mind to anyone that could hear him speak aloud. As he grumbled and mumbled to himself, he walked into his bathroom, took a shower, and shaved his face in his family’s traditional way: shaving cream and a very sharp knife handed down to him by his father.

“ONLY SON OF NICHOLAS THE SECOND!” he shouted at the top of his lungs as he cut the mid-section of his cheek on the knife. “IT’S ALWAYS THAT SPOT; WHY CAN I NEVER CUT THAT AREA?!”

He eventually finished grooming himself for his morning commute, and made his way to work. Solovyov worked as a scientist - a physicist to be precise - in a secret, underground government test laboratory.

In said lab, the Russian government had been preparing for the worst because of the extreme tensions between the United States and Russia. They had gathered Russia’s most brilliant men and women to work together and create the world’s first trans-dimensional portal, just in case global nuclear war broke out amongst the nations, and they needed a safe haven in which they could evacuate. There was only one problem with the idea: where exactly could they go that had air, water, food and shelter? Solovyov had thought about evacuating to Equestria if needed, but he kept his idea secret. The group of scientists assigned to work on the portal voted unanimously on an alternate Earth in an alternate dimension by using the now-proven Multiverse Theory.

Solovyov walked past a newsstand on the way to the abandoned building which housed the secret lab. He noticed the headlines in every newspaper present:

“Сотни убитых в международном аэропорту Волгограда! (Hundreds killed at Volgograd International Airport!)”

It may seem cruel to just walk by that newspaper, not caring about what it had to say. He walked passed that newsstand every day, and it had a new headline about something terrible happening every day, whether it is anything from government corruption to mega-corporation scandals.

He made it to the abandoned building and walked inside. It was a four-story apartment complex with all windows nailed and boarded shut, bricks crumbling off the sides and countless gang symbols tagged on the front door and walls. Everybody had yet to discover the removable floor board in the corner of room A4.

“Open sesame, door to the secret,” he scolded to the voice recognition device under the floor board. After the device had recognized his voice, the old, worn and dusty bed in the room lifted up and into the wall, allowing a section of the floor to slide open. As the floor boards spread apart from each other, an elevator that could only fit one rose from the opening in the floor. Solovyov reached for the small keyboard that had many symbols, shapes, numbers and letters inscribed onto the buttons.

“Let’s see… three, f, e, r, Quebec...” This continued for a few more moments until the doors on the elevator finally opened to the right key code. Solovyov stepped inside and began his descent into the earth; all objects in the room sliding back into place as the elevator descended.

* * * * *

The elevator stopped descending after three minutes of nonstop movement. The doors opened, and Solovyov was greeted by the head scientist of the facility, Yuri Kozlov.

“Good morning, Andrei. Are you prepared for the final day of work? Today we are going to be testing the device, seeing how long it takes for the machine to fully power, and what the results are of transportation,” Kozlov explained.

“Yes, I am just as prepared as you, sir,” Solovyov responded. They walked down the plate metal steps in front of the elevator Solovyov rode down to the lab, making a loud sole-on-metal walking sound echo off the laboratory walls. It took about two minutes of nonstop walking, but the two scientists eventually regrouped with the others working on the project at the bottom of the steps. Before everybody stood the project all people in the room had put their blood, sweat and tears in to: the worlds’ first trans-dimensional teleportation device, which was the thought-to-be-impossible perpetual motion machine.

Kozlov sighed and stood upon the stage, scientists of all fields gathered around it.

“Today, men and women, we have proved the world wrong on all levels,” he started. “We have created the one device others have thought to be impossible. And who knew that Mother Russia would be the one to get to it first?” He lowered his tone to a tone barely above a whisper. “We knew. Today marks an incredible milestone in the history of science, technology, and the universe as we know it. Sadly, if the tension between us and the United States does come to global nuclear war, our efforts will have been for naught.”

As soon as he finished his last sentence, all present began to feel the floor beneath their feet rumble.

“Did you feel that?” one scientist asked another.

“Yes. Did you feel that, Gregory?” the other responded then asked.

“I did so!” a scientist from the other side of the crowed yelled.

“Fear not, my fellow workers. It was most likely an increase in subway train movement. I feel it quite often when I’m alone here,” Kozlov explained to the slightly-panicking crowd. At his words, the group began dissipate and head to their respective stations.

“Gregory, power levels,” Kozlov demanded.

“Power levels are at a maximum, sir!” Gregory responded.

“Vladimir, calibration statistics?”

“All prepared and ready for use."

The ground shook once more, this time, with enough force to bring force to being down several pieces of heavy plate-metal roofing. One scientist wasn’t lucky enough to dodge the falling ceiling, and was crushed and killed instantly.

“EARTHQUAKE!” several people shouted.

As soon as the people who had shouted stopped, the shaking ceased immediately.

“Oh, it’s over? Well, that certainly wasn’t-“he was cut off by a piece of the ceiling crushing him, and the violent shaking continued.

“Power up the device!” A scientist shouted coming out of a long hallway. “The emergency elevator’s cable line has been cut! We are all trapped!” Without hesitation, everybody began doing their part, and the machine was soon functioning; yet, it had to spin fast enough to actually open the portal.

“Everybody, please listen!” Kozlov shouted at the top of his lungs, trying to overcome the sound of the crumbling laboratory. “I have no idea what will lie on the other side, my friends! We can only hope that in time, the government will retrieve us eventually.

Solovyov ran to the terminal that controlled where everyone would appear after walking through the portal, and set the destination to the “alternate Earth”, as everyone believed.

“Everybody!” Solovyov shouted, standing in front of the portal. “The portal is ready! We must leave at once!” Kozlov was at another end of the laboratory helping someone who had their leg trapped underneath a fallen computer module, and couldn’t lead the way into the portal himself. All present grouped themselves together near the steps that led to the portal.

“Everybody on my mark of three! One! Two-”

“LOOK OUT ABOVE YOU!” A scientist shouted, cutting off Solovyov as he spoke. At hearing this, Solovyov looked upwards, only to find that a metal panel of the ceiling was barreling right towards him.

”It’s now… or never…”

With minor hesitation, he grabbed his laptop bag from a table as he ran, and jumped in the direction of the portal, teleporting him to Equestria. The metal ceiling panel came down, crushing the portal underneath its weight.

“Oh God... No… No!!” Kozlov shouted. He started to panic, knowing that this was the end for him and his crew. Within minutes, the laboratory was buried along with all pieces of evidence that the trans-dimensional teleporter and the proven version of the Multiverse Theory ever existed.

On the streets above, the city lay in ruins. Volgograd, Russia was turned to rubble by American nuclear missles.