• Published 11th May 2012
  • 2,831 Views, 87 Comments

Equestria's First... Russian? - I Brained My Damage



Who ever said somebody had to be the only human in Equestria?

  • ...
7
 87
 2,831

Chapter 7 - The Search Continues

A/N: Sorry about not getting this out earlier, but I’ve been distracted with Lord of the Flies (now finished) and several stories in my now-shrinking read later list, one of which was Yours Truly (very, very good read for 18k words). Bittersweetness. ‘Nuff said. Tell me if I accidentally made any mistakes; I wrote most of this after 11 p.m. to midnight on some days.

Equestria’s First… Russian?

Chapter Seven

The Search Continues

Late 2027, Moscow, Russia

The panic of the war had already set in among the citizens of every nation. Everywhere, houses were being boarded by their owners, and said owners stockpiled non-perishable goods, medical supplies, and various other items. Others were even building their own fallout shelters. There was only one man who still had faith in winning this war, even though over one-fourth of the country’s population had been exterminated.

The Russian President was in the presidential fallout shelter under the Kremlin Senate building in Moscow, Russia planning battle tactics along with his employees.

In the distance everybody could hear foot steps pounding against the tile floor, indicating that somebody was running very fast.

Eventually, the person who was running arrived where the President had been; sweat protruding from his armpits and on his legs, making his military officer uniform stick very uncomfortably to his skin.

He huffed and puffed until he caught his breath and was able to speak properly, which took about one whole minute.

“Sir!” he said though his uneven breaths.

“Yes, what is it?” the president asked.

“I have… some very good… and bad news…”

The President’s heart sank. “What. Is it?” he said more sternly.

“Bad news: the Americans are planning one final assault that will most likely end the war for us, and they will end up victorious.”

The President sighed at this new. “And the good news?”

“You remember the assault on Volgograd, correct?”

“Yes; it wasn’t one of our best moments. Not to mention our laboratory was destroyed along with the trans-dimensional teleporter inside.”

“Yesterday, we finished clearing out the entire place of debris and bodies, but we… came up one body short, and a government computer went missing.”

“Where are you going with this?”

“We recently discovered that the trans-dimensional teleportation device had been activated before it was crushed by debris. Somebody used it before it was crushed, Mr. President.”

“Could you please get to the point? I don’t have all day.”

“Fine. We picked up a connection from the missing laptop… In another dimension. We don’t know exactly how this is possible, but we believe the missing person from the wreckage of the lab was able to save himself before everybody was killed. That laptop that he took with him had very valuable information on it about the teleportation device; information that we need in order to rebuild a device that actually works.

“What are you suggesting we do?” the President asked.

“We had a second lab with another trans-dimensional teleportation device in the making, and by this time it should be finished. I’m requesting that we send a unit to the dimension in which the laptop is.

The President leaned over his desk and held his face is his hands. “Are you sure we need back that laptop?”

“Yes, we need it back in order to build a device that will function properly by sending us to the coordinates we want the first time, instead of sending us to some random place.”

The President sighed, “Fine, I’ll commission you two tanks and a squadron of twenty men. I’m not sure where this missing person is, and I highly doubt you do, so this is just for safety precautions.”

“Thank you, Mr. President. We’ll try our best to bring him back alive.”

“Who is the missing person, anyway?” the President asked.

“Andrei Solovyov,” the military officer responded.

”Solovyov?” the President asked in disbelief. “His father was the General Mayor of the President… three elections ago?”

“Huh, I can’t believe I didn’t realize that sooner,” the officer responded. “But do not worry; we will have him back soon enough.”

“Good, now please leave me to my work.” With that, the military officer walked out of the room leaving the President to plan out how he could make a comeback in this war.

* * * * *

Alexander and Solovyov were both deep in a peaceful slumber as they both leaned against the tree on top of the small hill on which they sat. A light layer of morning dew covered each individual layer of grass. The sun started to slowly rise in the east, and rays of sunlight glistened as they reached the dew. The gentle breeze had stopped blowing. Alexander had woken up when the day’s first light had reached his eyes.

He gently nudged and shook Solovyov to attempt to wake him from his slumber.

“Andrei? Andrei; wake up.”

Solovyov mumbled under his breath, “Urghm… I don’t wanna go to school… Five more minutes…”

“Andrei, Come on!” Alexander said raising his voice slightly.

“Huh, what?” Solovyov said as he tried to remember where he was.

“You fell asleep last night. We should probably be getting back to Twilight’s home, don’t you think?”

Solovyov smacked his lips in need of a drink. “Yes, I suppose it is time we head back. I suppose I should probably apologize to Twilight for keeping her waiting for us all night.”

“Pfft! That’s what she said!” Alexander snickered in glee.

“Suppose I walked right into that one!” Solovyov replied trying to hold in a chuckle. He and Alexander both got up. Solovyov cleared the highly uncomfortable eye crust that infested his eyes as they began their trek home.

Solovyov remembered that he still had some questions for Twilight, but abruptly left before he could ask.

“Alexander, could you answer a few more questions for me before we arrive at Twilight’s home?”

“Sure; what would you like to know?”

“It’s just that… I find it a little weird that I am walking around ponies in the streets. We’re all at least two and a half times their height. How are they not fazed by seeing us?”

“That’s most likely due to the fact that there have been other human’s here, even before me.”

“Exactly how many?”

“Including you, me and the other human, there have been exactly twenty-seven humans to have arrived in Equestria.”

Solovyov nearly fainted at the answer. “Twenty-seven?” he asked as if he was hearing that a wooden chair made from oak was priced at seven hundred and fifty dollars. “I do not even feel like asking, but I will anyway. What happened to them?”

“I’m not even entirely sure myself. All twenty-seven known humans have appeared at some place in this world, whether it is Canterlot, Ponyville, Manehattan, or any other settlement, they’ve been spotted.

Nobody and nopony really knows how they got here. Some of the humans that arrived here said they died in some way, shape or form, while some others that appeared to be mentally psychotic said they built this world out of their own imagination,” Alexander explained in detail.

“So where are they?”

“This may or not sound fortunate to you, but they were all either executed, or were thrown into dungeons for how they acted. A few of them even attempted murder because they were cold and hungry, wanting to use their meat for food and hide for warmth.

Princess Celestia and Luna tried everything in their power to prevent humans from being a known species in Equestria, but all attempts have failed to do so.”

“So is it because you, I and the other human have a good enough character the reason why we’re not locked in holding cells?”

“That reason is true, and because we’re from a more modern, civilized form of the world.”

“What do you mean?” Solovyov asked quizzically.

“Let me think for a moment,” Alexander said, ”Okay, Andrei was human twenty-seven, I was human twenty-six, Coal was human twenty-five, and from what time period did human twenty-four come? Oh, right!

The twenty-fourth human appeared to be from the early fourteenth century. Every human including him, before then, were people who hunted for their food. You, Coal and I were from a civilized world, about seven hundred years later, where we bought food from supermarkets and surf the internet on a daily basis.

Ponies around the world tried teaching them to be more civilized, but they all caved after the first week; and not to mention we didn’t have any translation spells to use, so we couldn’t understand what they were saying.”

“I understand,” Solovyov replied while massaging his temples with his index and middle fingers, “I’m staring to get a headache from all this information.”

“And right on time, too,” Alexander said as they walked up to Twilight’s front door.

“Wow. We’re here already? I didn’t even remember walking into town! Anyway, I have two more questions that are still bothering me.”

“Ask away,” Alexander said in a carefree tone.

“Why exactly was there a seven hundred year gap between human arrivals?”

“The alicorn sisters did try to stop them from arriving and succeeded for a while, but after seven hundred years of a magical redirection, they started showing up again for no apparent reason.”

“Have you tried sending any back?”

“Been there; done that. Doesn’t work. Trust me, we’ve tried before, and no matter how hard we try, we can’t succeed,” Alexander stated blandly.

Alexander opened the door to possibly the cutest d’aww moment he had ever seen. Before him were five sleeping ponies sprawled out around the library’s main foyer; Pinkie Pie’s head resting against Rarity’s side as a pillow, and Fluttershy making the most adorable snoring sound to ever reach a human ear. The only pony not asleep was Twilight, whose main was slightly frayed at some ends, and had bags under her eyes from staring at the bright screen of Solovyov’s laptop all night.

Twilight was so focused on whatever she was doing she didn’t hear Alexander speak, “Twilight?”

“Twilight...!”

No response.

”Twilight!”

“Wait, what?” Twilight asked becoming aware of Alexander and Solovyov returning. “When did you two get back?”

“We walked in not even one minute ago,” Alexander replied melancholy.

“Have I been using this thing all night?” Twilight asked herself in disbelief.

Solovyov interrupted Twilight’s train of thought with a deep sigh, “Twilight, I’m sorry I stormed out like that, and for making the rest of your friends stay here if you all waited for me.”

“Oh don’t worry about it,” Twilight replied, “digging into that kind of subject is difficult for anypony; no matter how rock solid their emotions are.”

“Thanks for understanding. So… for what exactly have you been using my laptop?”

“I’ve just been doing typical research on your race and world: famous people, geography, society and whatnot. No offense, but your race is one messed up group.”

“None taken,” Solovyov replied.

“Twilight, I would hate to be a bother to you, but do you… have a shower I may use?” Solovyov asked, his face turning a light shade of red.

“Go ahead. It’s up the stairs, second door on the right,” Twilight explained.

Solovyov replied, “Thanks” as he proceeded to follow Twilight’s directions to her bathroom. Much to his own surprise, the room was not very far off from resembling a typical bathroom on Earth. Other than the size difference, the room had a toilet, sink, towel rack, a bathtub with a shower curtain, and a very small window used for ventilation.

Solovyov left his clothes in a pile on the floor and proceeded to take a shower. Once finished, he stepped out, dried off, and got dressed in what he’s been wearing for the past few days since his arrival. He walked back downstairs into the library’s main foyer, where Twilight and her friends were now fully awake; them being gathered around Twilight for a small pep talk.

“This is the last time we’re going out on a search. If we don’t find Mr. Snapple this time through, we’re done. I can’t think of any other place he would be.”

After Twilight paused, Solovyov asked, “Who are you looking for again?”

“The father of a family: Mr. Snapple. He’s been missing for at least a week now, and we’ve searched the Everfree Forest every day since he went missing.”

“Do you need any help?”

“Well, if you want to I guess you could come along and help,” Twilight said. “Be warned, if you’re really sure you want to help us, we’re searching the Everfree Forest. Since you ‘watched’ us on your world, you should know of its dangers?”

“It didn’t seem too scary from what I’ve viewed,” Solovyov replied cockily. “How bad could it be?”

* * * * *

Solovyov, Alexander, and the Main Six gawked upon the Everfree Forest as it stood before them. Solovyov could only stare forward into the ever-expanding blackness that resided among the trees. His expression very closely resembled the poker face on the internet as he remembered reading several creepy pasta stories.

”Why would somebody decide it to be a good idea to go for a picnic in this forest?” Solovyov asked himself mentally.

“Good question,” Pinkie said out of nowhere. Solovyov stared at Pinkie with a “what the buck?” expression.

“Listen,” Twilight said after Pinkie’s random outburst, “we’re going to split into two teams and search in the one area we haven’t searched yet: the ponies will take the west section, Alexander and Andrei will take the east section. Understood?” All ponies and humans present muttered an agreement.

Solovyov looked towards Alexander with a slight look of worry. “Don’t worry, Andrei. I’ve read a few books on the species in this forest; we’ll be fine as long as we have our light source,” he explained as he took out his oil lantern.

“We’ll travel along the main path for about one and a half miles, then we’ll split up then,” Twilight said.

Everybody and pony proceeded to travel along the main path while Twilight and Rarity led the pack with light emitting from their horns. They eventually reached the desired point at which they would split up, and did so. Solovyov felt even more fearful of the unknown as he and Alexander were left alone in the dark forest.

“What does this ‘Mr. Snapple’ look like, Alexander?” Solovyov asked as his voice trembled slightly.

“He has a black mane and a mud-brown coat. His cutie mark a hammer and chisel crossed together.”

“Sure, finding that will be easy to find in a pitch black forest,” Solovyov said sarcastically.

As they continued walking, Solovyov stopped in his tracks as he heard a very faint snapping in the blackness beside this. Instinctively, he clutched Alexander’s shoulder for minimal comfort.

“Did you hear that?” Solovyov whispered.

“No. Whatever you heard, it’s probably your fears getting the better of you.”

“I swear I heard something.” Just then, there was a faint, long creaking sound, as if a sneaking child was trying to avoid a squeaky wooden floorboard in the night.

“Now that I heard,” Alexander said turning to Solovyov with a face of concern.

The two continued to tip-toe their way forward for their own safety. They both stopped out of curiosity as the noises they began to hear earlier were directly above them. Alexander and Solovyov dived out of the way as a body entangled in vines fell from the branches of the tree.

They covered their heads with their hands after their dive was completed as they thought a dangerous creature of the Everfree was going to attack them. Alexander recovered from the shock first, and had the courage to look over his shoulders. He did so hastily, in case if it was a way to a quick death.

“Andrei, get up,” he commanded his friend as he saw what fell from the trees. Alexander shined his lantern onto what was before him; it was indeed Mr. Snapple. At first sight, Alexander and Solovyov assumed that he was dead from the look of his wounds: his face had been torn by claws, both forelegs bent in the entirely wrong direction, and a cut had been made along his abdominal area, under his ribs that allowed some of his intestine to slip through.

Solovyov held his hand over his mouth as he continued to gawk at the scene before him. He vomited whatever was left of his breakfast into the undergrowth of the forest.

Alexander sighed, “There is no way he’s alive from the looks of it.”

“Help… me…” Mr. Snapple said with blood gurgling in his throat.

“Sweet Jesus, he’s still alive!” Alexander shouted. “Quick, Solovyov! Help me get him down! I’ll stay down here; you climb the tree and get his limbs untangled.” With that being said, Solovyov quickly recovered and climbed the trees to remove the vines entangling the nearly dead stallion. With every inch he climbed, he tried his best not to breathe the air filled with the scent of blood and look at the body that looks like it should be dead.

Solovyov gagged as he accidently let a breath slip through his nostrils. He made haste and untangle Mr. Snapple as quickly as he could.

“Alexander,” Solovyov said, “be ready to stop his fall, he’ll most likely die if you drop him.”

“I will, just hurry and untangle him.”

Solovyov untangled the last vine around Mr. Snapple’s back right leg, and he fell about eight to ten inches into Alexander’s arms.

“Oof!” Mr. Snapple grunted in extreme pain. Solovyov jumped out of the tree, still trying to hold his breathe.

“We’ve got to get him back, and now; it doesn’t look like he’ll make it if we just sit here,” Alexander explained.

“Right, let’s just get out of here. I can hardly stand the smell of him much longer,” Solovyov replied with watering eyes.

The two proceeded to walk towards the area where the humans split from the ponies to go searching.

When they arrived, Alexander and Solovyov bellowed at the top of their lungs, “TWILIGHT!”

* * * * *

Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity were all searching the plants that lined the thin trail that slithered its way through the Everfree, until they heard two distinct voices call in the distance.

“Twilight…!”

“Ya hear that?” Applejack questioned in worry.

“Yeah, I heard it,” Twilight replied. “They may need our help. Come on, let’s go!”

They all ran as fast as they could towards the two humans’ shouting.

* * * * *

Mr. Snapple coughed up some blood while still being held by Alexander.

“Don’t worry. Twilight and her friends will be here soon enough.” Realization struck Alexander like a rock to the head. “Andrei, If Twilight and her friends don’t show up in about a minute, Snapple here isn’t going to make it. Can I get you to be brave for me?”

“Wait, what?” Solovyov asked quizzically.

“I need to rush Mr. Snapple to the hospital. Can you stay here and wait until Twilight shows up?”

Solovyov was speechless. He wouldn’t have even come here with them in the first place if he knew he was going to be alone. “You want me to be here… alone?”

“Yes. I know it may be asking a lot, but you need to stay here and tell Twilight where I’ve gone.”

Solovyov sighed heavily. “You owe me for this.”

“Look, I’ll make it up to you later, all right? I need to get him to the hospital. Be brave for me, okay?” Those were the words he left for Solovyov to ponder as he took off into the blackness that shrouded the forest.

With Alexander gone, Solovyov could finally breathe without gagging on the smell of Mr. Snapple. Now, he smelled the fresh oxygen that the plants emitted. It was able to calm him slightly, but not by very much as he was still anxious about what lied in the unseen forest.

Solovyov heard the soft rustle of bushes to his left and immediately looked in that direction, shining his lantern that way as well.

“Who’s there?” he called timidly. His body tensed as he physically and mentally prepared himself for an ambush.

“Who’s there?!” he called louder. The rusting continued to grow closer and closer. “Okay… there’s nothing to worry about. Keep calm. From the sounds of the rustling, the creature or whatever it is doesn’t seem to be very large. I think I could take it with my size.

The rustling was now a mere eight yards from his position. Solovyov prepared for the worst.

“There you are!” Twilight called as she and her friends emerged from the bushes.

“Sweet Jesus,” Solovyov sighed in relief, “you gave quite a scare, Twilight. I thought you were an aggressive creature in this forest.” Twilight’s face soon turned into a look of panic as she looked around Solovyov.

“Andrei… don’t. Turn. Around,” she said with a shaky voice. Solovyov felt as if holes were being burned into the back of his head as his arms shivered with immense fear.

“I- Wh-what’s b-behind me?” Solovyov asked.

“It’s a… cockatrice. Don’t turn around,” Twilight commanded.

Solovyov thought of how he and the Main Six could escape this predicament. “Well, people did say I have a stare that could kill if stares did happen to kill… it’s worth a shot…”

“Twilight,” Solovyov started, “I’m about to do something very, very stupid. I’m sorry if this doesn’t work.” Solovyov turned around with his eyes shut, mentally preparing himself for the challenge he was about to take on.

He inhaled and exhaled quietly, increasing the intensity of his breathing as he continued to repeat this process. He opened his eyes, and glared directly into the cockatrice’s eyes, the cockatrice returning the menacing glare. Solovyov wasn’t paying very much attention at all to what was going on behind him, but through the fog of sounds that reached his ears he heard all the girls gasp in shock behind him.

“How is he… not turning to stone yet?” Fluttershy questioned.

“I don’t know,” Twilight responded, “but this is incredible! Fluttershy, I think you might have to have a staring contest soon.” Fluttershy squeed in reply.

The ponies could see the how the staring contest between the cockatrice and the human was going. Somehow – probably through reversed magic – the cockatrice was starting to turn to stone from the feet upwards, but slowly. Solovyov’s feet were just now starting to turn to stone from the soles of his shoes.

Solovyov felt panic starting to rise inside him as he continued to stare, and he feared he may not be able to take on this challenge.

“Shouldn’t we help him?” Rainbow deadpanned.

“We probably should, but I believe he can finish this if he’s actually turning a cockatrice to stone,” Twilight responded.

“Ah’m ready to buck that thing if need be,” Applejack said.

The fight of stares between Solovyov and the cockatrice raged on for what felt like hours, but in reality it had only been about half an hour. Solovyov’s legs, both of his forearms, and the lower half of his torso had been turned to stone, whilst the cockatrice’s entire body was turned to stone, only leaving his chicken head untouched. That was slowly changing as the cockatrice intensified his glare and sped up the process of Solovyov’s transformation drastically.

Solovyov still kept his glare in place, and intensifies his as well.

“That’s it!” Applejack shouted, “ah’m not standin’ by anymore!” She ran beside the cockatrice and bucked it in its side along its wing. She reeled back in pain as the cockatrice simply fell over in the opposite direction; lifeless and made of stone.

“The hay?” she questioned.

“It’s… stone,” Rainbow said.

“Wait, if it’s stone, then that mean…” Twilight said as she trailed off looking at Solovyov. He hadn’t made any move even after the cockatrice fell over.

“Andrei…?” Twilight said with worry.

“Still… here…” he replied weakly. Twilight increased the amount of light she emitted from her horn to see the full extent of the damage dealt to Solovyov. What she saw was a relief to her; Solovyov’s entire body was made of stone, everything except the area around his mouth and right ear.

“Nose… itches…”

“Well horse apples,” Twilight said, “how are we supposed to get him out of here?”

“We have six backs,” Applejack said dryly.

“Oh, well we’ll just carry him on our backs then. Forewarning; this is probably going to hurt. Everypony get in a straight line, and Rainbow, push the statue over onto our backs and get on the far end to stop him from crushing us.”

“Got it,” Rainbow replied as she proceeded to follow her commands. The almost-entire statue of Solovyov fell over, and Rainbow caught him in time to break his fall and gently lay him across the girls’ backs.

“WAIT!” Applejack exclaimed. “Where’s Alex?”

“Explain… later… not hurt…” Solovyov grunted. The girls breathed a simultaneous sigh of relief as they continued their trek to get Solovyov out of the Everfree unharmed. Well, without dealing any more damage than already done.

* * * * *

Alexander was sprinting as fast as he could, wind blowing back his hair and the buzzing of insect zipping past his ears. He ran towards the daylight at the entrance of the Everfree as if it were a shelter during a sever storm. He relaxed a bit as he reached the entrance, but soon realized he was in a hurry as he looked down at the near-dead stallion in his arms.

He sprinted through the streets of Ponyville to get to the hospital on the other side of town. His nose would have greatly accepted the scent of freshly baked goods as he sped past Sugarcube Corner, but instead was granted the scent of metallic blood that leaked from the stallion’s body.

“We… almost there…?” the stallion grunted through clenched teeth.

Between pants of breathe, Alexander replied, “Almost.” The houses were starting to thin out after a few minutes of nonstop sprinting, signaling that the hospital was getting closer.

“There it is!” Alexander shouted in one quick breathe. He finally made it to the hospital, quickly turned his back to the door, and charged it open before him. A nurse and a doctor were roaming the hallways of the hospital, making their usual patrols as always but stopped to take a glance at the human.

“Get this pony some help!” Alexander shouted. Immediately the nurse ran and got a bed for the stallion within fifteen seconds, and he gently laid the stallion upon it.

“Thank you,” the doctor replied.

Alexander breathed a heavy sigh of relief as they pushed the bed into an operating room, and collapsed on his back onto the floor, relishing the cool feel of the shiny, flat tiles against his skin.

“Almost… there…!” Twilight grunted as they approached the forest entrance slowly. Even with the help of her and Rarity’s levitation spells, they were all still struggling to move Solovyov.

“Gah! Finally!” Twilight grunted as she used her last reserves of energy and thrust Solovyov a few feet in front of the group.

“I think… we can… roll him… from here…” Twilight said between breathes.

“Agreed…” Rainbow panted.

“But first… a five… minute breather…” As she said this, she collapsed onto her stomach, stretching all four legs in a different direction. “When we get close enough… to Ponyville… we get every citizen we can on him… to help…” All ponies nodded their heads in agreement.

The “five-minute breather” turned into a “thirty-minute breather”. Eventually, the girls mustered the strength to push him, and pushed him to the outskirts of Ponyville. It was late evening by then, but still decided to knock on a few doors to gather the strength of a few stallions.

A few did decide it was a good idea to help, even if it meant rolling a probably-one-thousand-pound-almost statue of Solovyov through Ponyville, even in the dead of night.

After four hours - with the help of the few volunteering stallions – they were able to roll Solovyov to Twilight’s library. By this time, the Main Six wanted nothing more than to just collapse from exhaustion.

“Finally…” Twilight sighed in relief.

“Twilight! There you are!” Spike said while walking down the stairs.

“Sorry Spike; I didn’t mean to be out this late, but as you can see,” she gestured to Solovyov, “we ran into some trouble.”

“Oh, oka-“he was interrupted by a belch followed by a letter sealed with the royal seal falling to the floor.

“Oh, a letter,” Twilight said weakly as she floated it over to herself and unrolled it.

“What does it say?” Spike asked.

“All of us need to go see the princess as soon as possible… by tomorrow,” she said while skimming, she stopped mumbling as she read the next part.

“What is it?” Spike repeated.

“And we need to bring Solovyov…” she said with an “are you bucking kidding me” tone. "Great..."