• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 2,072 Views, 58 Comments

The Courier's Journal - RF and AG



Luna reminisces over a lost friend by reading his journal. A Fallout Crossover

  • ...
5
 58
 2,072

Journal 15

The Endgame (Part 3)

We’re free. The Mojave is free … free from the torment of the Legion and the NCR. Free to make our own fate and lives that cannot be dictated by any other but ourselves. We will forge a new Mojave. One that will ensure that all who wish to be free from the bondages of slavery are welcome. Sure there will be rules, a unified force to protect us, and still dangers, but we will build a civilization that will stand long after the NCR crumbles.

That is my aim, and from the ashes of the two armies it will arise.

It was almost laughable, honestly. Laughable in how predictable both sides acted at the Dam. The Legion attacked like I expected, and the NCR asked for my help, to which I eagerly gave.

It was a full day worth fighting, and though it has been two days since, I can recount each single kill and each single confrontation. The whole thing was surreal at times, moving from gunfights to hand to hand.

Legion bodies and NCR alike littered the floor of the facilities at the Dam. Battle cries could be heard above the raging gunfire … just like the screams of those dying. It didn’t matter to me what was happening all around, I just needed to succeed. I was lucky to have four like minded people next to me and I still have them close to me, not a single one falling that day, though Veronica and Raul will be complaining about a few more scars.

We drove off the initial attempts inside the Dam before making our way back to the top to the Dam where the Legion were starting to overwhelm the NCR. Luckily my friends came in handy. By friends, I meant the Enclave and the Boomers.

The Enclave arrived first, strafing the Dam clean before sending in some Power Armour support. They mowed through Legion cannon fodder like they were nothing but standing targets. Though once they were out of ammo their flying vehicle came back to retrieve them. Their help was invaluable though, and allowed us to push the Legion back across most of the Dam before they put up some tough resistance that was bolstered by what seemed like a never ending flow of soldiers.

Good thing the Boomers decided to intervene on that. Such a beautiful sight. I can’t give it a fitting description. So simply put, the Boomers launched an artillery strike for a an extremely loud ten seconds before the massive plane, I helped get out of the lake, flew above, dropping slightly larger versions of Mini Nukes.

It was awesome. Awe inspiring. Deadly.

From there, it was beyond easy to push the Legion back all the way, slaughtering them one bullet at a time. They fought viciously but their lines were completely broken, and probably their morale, too.

By the time we started pushing up on their camp, we were wading through rubble and bodies. The NCR decided to continue the push to the main camp via the road, but even with the situation tipping in their favour, it would take them awhile. Instead, I wanted to beat them there, and crush them myself.

I took my little group through a side pass that forced us to nearly scale a cliff. Something far from new to me, and I made it look easy for the others. The benefits outweighed the dangers, and in the end, five of us were in prime position to take out the camp.

I handed Raul my sniper rifle, and told him and Boone to provide overwatch while the rest of us made our way. Now was the perfect time to actually use my custom Marksman Rifles, ones that I had threaded at the muzzle to allow a suppressor. Three of them, two regular style ones for Cass and Veronica, while I threaded my ‘All-American’ to make it that much more useful.

With Boone and Raul on overwatch, we silently picked through the guards before actually entering the camp through a little hole in the hastily constructed walls. It took some sneaking and dodging more patrols but we eventually discovered a nice stack of propane bottles. Oh yes, propane. I simply smiled at the girls, which told them more than they wanted to know as they slinked back the way we came.

I on the other hand, placed some perfectly primed C4 before evacuating the area.

Let me say, in spite how deafening it was, that explosion was beautiful. Rilled up the camp something nice, which just allowed us to slowly pick off more and more as they ran about as though they had their heads cut off.

In the midst of the anarchy that erupted, I made my way to the what looked like another Fort setup. As in another massive tent for the Legion’s general or whatever, which hopefully would just keep toppling the Legion’s power.

Well, I got a nice little surprise in the form of a hulking armored Legionnaire, and from the way he introduced himself, it was their Legate. Myths of the man had spread, and yet he was exactly that ... a man.

I told him that victory was assured and that if he were to surrender at that moment, his death would be quick and painless. He merely laughed before drawing him sword.

The fact I am writing this entry should already prove who ended up victorious. He must have thought that those ‘of the west’ only fought with guns. Yet that machete I took from that dead Decanus in Nelson was a nice blade. A nice enough blade that I was able to parry a few attempts at a strike before slicing his heels.

He was simply a beast of brute force, knowing not the intricacies of battle. There is always weak points in enemies, and the heel was almost always it.

On his knees, I put the blade through his back, withdrawing it painfully slowly, yet he still breathed. Still coughing blood and speaking as though the Legion would win the day. His fanatical devotion to a cult of abominations was shocking in the least. Yet when I walked in front of him and pulled his mask off, I didn’t see a man there … all I saw was a feral animal that needed to be put down.

I rammed that machete straight through his throat before kicking him backwards. He deserved to die on his back and in the dirt.

I didn’t celebrate at this, instead I turned to walk away. My army would be here soon enough to evict the NCR and clean up this mess. My job was done, and I would be able to finally take a break.

I would never miss the Legion … but thanks to Arcade, there was one thing I at least admired now that I looked back. Latin is an awesome language.

General Oliver met with me at the entrance of the Legion compound. His soldiers looking fresh, probably because he had arrived to claim victory. Shown up just in the nick of time so that he would look like the hero. Fucking bastard.

He went on about how despite our little differences in the past, ‘we had come together to make the Mojave a better place.’ I spat on the ground at his feet, showing my disgust. He shook with rage, and I just shook my head. He wanted to shoot me and I wanted him to follow my army out of the Mojave.

My argument was far superior, and he begrudgingly started to withdraw his army that would be escorted by thousands of Securitrons. He swore revenge over this ‘atrocity’ to which I told him that he could easily be swinging by his heels over the edge of the Dam right now. As he finally turned his back to me, I shouted that the NCR and I would be in touch.

You can’t run a nation without allies, and even with everything that NCR had done, it would bring in a good amount of revenue to allow NCR troops on the strip. That wasn’t anywhere in the near future though. Tonight, The Strip will be alight with cheers of joy. Things will be better.

Author's Note:

The ending with Legate Lanius is so short in the game ... I guess it's just as short here, but with who the Courier is, it's justified.