• Published 28th Mar 2015
  • 3,376 Views, 37 Comments

Only Human - Merotik



Celestia found me when I was just a baby. Alone, lost in the forest, who knows what would have happened if she hadn't found me. Not only that, but she's treated me with such kindness and love, she's like a mother to me, I hope this life never ends...

  • ...
28
 37
 3,376

Nine Years Old

It was a weekend afternoon and I had decided to spend my day inside, something I usually never do. Sadly, there just wasn't anything fun or exciting to do this weekend. Twilight was with her parents to some sort of theme park, and Green bush was away at a museum. I tried to spend some time with Sunset Shimmers, but she's been getting herself into trouble recently. I'm not sure what she's been doing to get mom mad at her, all I know is that it has something to do with a mirror that mom keeps in her room.

So, with no friends to play with, Sunset Shimmer getting mom upset, and it being extremely hot outside, I decided to lay on my bed and read my "Phoenix Sprite and the Mirror Pool Clones" book. As I read, I would look over to the purple vase that sat on my bookshelf every now and again. I still didn't know why I cared about it so much, all I know is that I had to keep a close eye on it.

I also realized that it wasn't until the day the vase had vibrated and said "dawn breaker" that I stopped having these weird dreams. The dreams where I felt like I was in another world.

That was a year ago.

I can't say I'm thankful that the dreams stopped, I liked those dreams, I felt like a brave hero every time I had them. Oh well, you can't really control your dreams so there's nothing I can do about it. Still, I have this strange feeling that my dreams and the vase were somehow related.

I'm getting distracted, I'm going back to reading my book.

And so, Phoenix Sprite and her trusted companion galloped at full speed, as the army of clones were right on their tails. They continued to run through the Everfree forest, until they saw Ponyville up ahead. "Turn right, we can't have the clones get into Ponyville, they'll destroy everything!" shouted Phoenix. Her companion followed, as they made their way to a clearing in the forest. Up ahead was a large pit of quicksand, and behind them were the clones. They couldn't turn right because of Ponyville, the only option was to turn left and keep running, Phoenix however had a separate option.

"Phoenix, their getting closer!" shouted the companion.

"Trust me, I have a plan!" shouted Phoenix.

Phoenix took hold of her companion, and leaped over a patch of leaves and into the quicksand.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!" shouted the companion.

"Just trust me!" shouted Phoenix.

Phoenix and her companion sank into the quicksand, as the horde of clones came ever so closer to them. The companion struggled to break free of the quicksand, this only made him sink faster.

"Were gonna die!!!" shouted the companion.

"Not yet were not!" shouted Phoenix.

As the clones approached them they suddenly-

"AND I MEAN IT SUNSET SHIMMER! STAY AWAY FROM THAT MIRROR!!!"

"FINE!!!"

Sounds like Sunset Shimmers is fighting with mom again. I should probably stay in my room until they finish. . . . on second thought, maybe it wouldn't hurt just to take a peak.

I jumped off my bed and ran to my door. I cracked it open just enough to see mom walking in the opposite direction. Sunset Shimmers slammed and locked her door shut (her room was across from mine)

Oh, guess their already finished, I hope Sunset Shimmers isn't upset about anything, I should go check on her.

I walked over to Sunset Shimmers door and gently knocked.

"What do you want!" Sunset Shimmers shouted.

"Sunset Shimmers, its me, Glee. Are you O.K.?" I asked.

"Fine! Now leave me alone!"

"Can I come in?" I asked.

"NO! Now get lost!"

"Please can I come in, if you want, we can talk about why your so mad?" I asked, trying to help.

"I said GET LOST!" she shouted.

I guess she must be really mad, "Oh. . . O.K. . . . love you" I said calmly.

I was about to turn and go back to my room, when I heard Sunset Shimmers suddenly unlock and open her door. Her hair was messy and she seemed very frustrated.

She sighed, "fine, get in here".

I smiled, and walked into Sunset Shimmers room as she closed the door behind me.

Her room was a lot messier then mine, there were scrolls and books scattered everywhere, as well as feather pens, ink bottles, rulers, planning sheets, and other various office supplies. She had a drawing board in the corner of her room that said "The Mirror", and underneath it was a lot of theories and plans to figure out what this mirrors powers truly possess. As soon as she saw me looking at it, she covered it with a sheet and sat on her bed.

"What do you want kid?" she asked.

"Well, I saw you and mom fighting again, so I thought that if I talked to you, I could help you feel better"

She gave a weak chuckle "ya, sure, as if any pony could make me feel better".

"Well, what's wrong?" I asked.

She laid on her bed and stared at the ceiling for a few moments, as if she was thinking about something. Then she asked me, "Glee, what am I to you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, what am I to you, as in, am I a friend or family, or just some pony you happened to be living with?"

"Oh, well, I think of you as my sister"

"And why's that? I'm not your sister, we're not even remotely related in the slightest! So why do you consider me as your sister?" she asked.

I hadn't really thought about this before, in a way I guess its because we both grew up with the same pony, we both grew up with the princess. Although Sunset Shimmers doesn't consider her a mom like I do, we've still been together for a very long time.

"I don't know, maybe its because of mom. Your her student and I'm her son, so I guess that makes us close, right?" I asked.

"Ha, please, sure I'm her student, and I guess you do qualify as her son, but that doesn't make us close at all"

It hurt when she said that, she's always been mean so I'm kind of used to it, but that doesn't stop it from still hurting my feelings.

My eyes began to tear a bit, "oh. . . ya. . . I guess so. . ."

She saw my eyes fill with tears and sighed, "jeez your not gonna start crying are you?"

I shook my head and began walking to the door. Before I could reach the door, Sunset Shimmers hopped of her bed and placed a hoof on my shoulder.

She sighed, "look kid, I'm not going to be here forever. The truth is, I found out about this . . . place, that I could go to if I travel through a . . . lets just say, a particular item that Celestia doesn't want me snooping around. Fact is, I intend to go to this place, and when I come back, I might be a bit different".

She paused for a moment, before saying, "but If you still consider me a sister when I do come back, then I'll consider you as my brother, deal?"

I knew Sunset Shimmer never considered me as her brother even though I considered her as my sister, so for her to say that made me really happy! I smiled and nodded excitedly.

"And who knows, I might just let you in on my little plan as well, only if you listen to me when you get older, understand?" said Sunset Shimmer.

"Only you? So I don't listen to mom?" I asked.

"Celestia, er I mean, your mom might not like the things that I'll be doing when I get back. But don't worry, I'm sure I can "persuade her" into going along with my plan. So how about it, do you want to be in my plan?"

I had no idea what this plan was, but if it would make Sunset Shimmers consider me as her brother, then I'll do anything!

"Ya!" I said excitedly.

"Good, now, I'm going to leave to the library, there's something I need to research on that Celestia doesn't want me knowing about, so, if I get caught then I'm going to have to make a quick get away to that other place. If this happens, then I might be gone for a while. So, I want you to never forget that you said that you would help me with my plan, understand?" she asked.

I quickly nodded again.

"And to make sure you never forget, I want you to have this", Sunset Shimmers then gave me a gold necklace, with Sunset Shimmers cutie mark encrusted into the front.

I gasped, and gave her a hug, "thanks Sunset Shimmers!"

"Ya . . . sure . . . . now get off me".

I let her go and smiled. She returned a smile and ruffled my hair, "guess this is goodbye, see you around kid".

And with that, Sunset Shimmers left her room.

She never came back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was late at night, mom and I were eating dinner at the table in the dining hall. That's when I noticed that Sunset Shimmers hasn't been around ever since we talked in her room, did she really leave like she said she would?

"Hey mom, what happened to Sunset Shimmers?" I asked.

Mom placed down her fork, and gave me a sad expression. "Sunset has . . . gone away for a while. I'm not sure when she'll come back either".

"Where did she go?"

"Lets just say, very far away. Your to young to know about it now, but someday you will" said mom.

"Why's that?" I asked.

Mom paused for a few seconds, as if to think of what to say. "Because . . . it would seem that this place is . . . rather . . . special".

"How special, like, super special?" I asked.

Mom chuckled, "yes, in a way you can say that its SUPER special".

A guard suddenly entered the dining hall, "your highness, our men have just returned from the other world, and have some, well, rather, strange news to inform you of".

"Is that so, well in that case. I must be off for now Glee, I have some work to attend to" said mom.

"Are you going to have to work all night again?" I asked, sadly. Mom had been very busy with her work lately, so busy that I haven't been able to watch her rise or set the sun. I loved to watch her rise and set the sun, especially rising the sun, mourning's were my favorite time of the day.

Mom gave me a smile, and said, "no, I won't be busy all night, I promise you you'll be able to watch me set the sun this time, just be there for when its time, O.K.?"

I nodded, "O.K. I promise! I love you!"

"I love you too, I'll see you at seven thirty!"

Mom left, leaving me to wonder where Sunset Simmers went. Why was that place so special, and why would mom need to tell me about it when I'm older?

Hopefully it has nothing to do with me, I still feel like I'm in trouble since mom still had Mrs. Cherry Blossom watching me. So if that special place does have something to do with me, then I get the feeling I might be in more trouble.

But that'll never happen, that place has nothing to do with me.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter, not to much happens when he's nine years old.