• Published 10th Mar 2015
  • 1,945 Views, 96 Comments

Equestria Girls: Racers - Gapeagle



After Twilight and Sunset Shimmer have a brief time in Equestria, they go back through the portal. The portal transports them to a different universe than the one they know. One that is ruled on street racing.

  • ...
1
 96
 1,945

Chapter 7: The Hood's Reflection

"Welcome back all! The Gala Tower greets you!"

The automated voice rung through the halls again for the eighth time. The female voice was becoming annoying to Sunset, who was standing with her friends (minus Billy and Spike since they remained at the garage) in a line of supposed guests trying to enter the Gala Tower. Her black dress made her feel uncomfortable. They all were wearing dresses that Pinkie had brought to them that morning. Wherever the clothes store was, Sunset had no idea.

"Oh this is so exciting!" Pinkie jumped. "Can't wait to see Rares again."

"I only hope she acts like Rarity," Twilight said nervously.

Pinkie appeared right next to Twilight. "Of course she will! I mean, Rarity not acting like Rarity would be.....well...it wouldn't be Rarity-like."

They moved up some spaces as the line slowly progressed. Twilight was still getting used to the layout of the city. The entrance they were at was still thirty stories above the streets. The walkway that brought them here was winding and exhausting. She had already concluded the reason for this: the top half of the Tower was for the high league racers and the bottom half for the low leagues. Now that she thought about it, the whole city seemed like a visual hierarchy.

"Next," the guard at the door drawled.

Pinkie skipped over to him happily and leaned on the small podium where he had his list. The guard slowly looked at her without a hint of emotion. She pointed at the list with unlimited enthusiasm, making the guard lift a brow.

"Name?" he droned.

"Pinkamena Diane Pie!" she giggled. "Or Pinkie Pie for short."

"Ah, the racer," he nodded.

"And these are my friends, Twilight, Sunset, and Maud!" Pinkie gestured happily at the three.

"Have a nice night, ladies. You check out," he said. "Next."

Pinkie gave a smug look as she left the guard to his job. Twilight was astounding by how easy it was to access entry to the party. Sunset too seemed a but shocked by it, but they had no time to comment on it because Pinkie shoved them all inside. Upon entry, they were drowned out by loud classical music. The music seemed out of place for the lights and the bars, and the everything else about the tower room. It seemed even too fancy for those attending.

Cars were set on displays throughout the grand room. Women in short dresses that fit tightly at the waist walked about in groups of two or three. Men in handsome suits paraded about with smiles and laughs. It was still much more lively than any Grand Galloping Gala. It was still fancy and elaborate, but in a modern way.

"Where would Rarity be?" Twilight had to whisper loudly to make Pinkie hear.

"Who knows?" the girl shrugged. "She could be here, there, or even over there!"

"Guess we'll have to look..." Sunset sighed.

"Or she's right there," Maud dully said and pointed at one woman.

All eyes fell upon this woman. It was no doubt Rarity. Her long royal purple curls were draped on elegant shoulders. She wore a short dress like the other women, but this one was sparkling with gems and jewels of a clear color. Her bright red lips and piercing sapphire eyes displayed perfection. Her long legs dangled over the hood of a white racing car that every chrome finish and every unneeded accessory seemed to project its ridiculous price. The purple windows, the blue headlights, the high spoiler, and the cleanliness that was so well done that one could see the fingerprints that defiled it. The elegance and smoothness of the vehicle almost rivaled the womanly perfection that sat on it. The heels of her glossy black stilettos bounced off the tire playfully. Her full attention was on a man of greasy blonde hair beside the car.

"Yeah..." Twilight blinked. "That's Rarity."

"Rarity!" Pinkie called out and sprinted over to her.

"Augh!" Rarity gasped when the driver approached her so suddenly. Her shocked face eased when she recognized who it was. "Pinkie? It's unlike you to attend parties like this. You usually are downstairs where those ruffians have clubs."

"Well, yeah," Pinkie snorted a giggle. "I would be, but I want you to meet my new friends!"

Rarity looked beyond Pinkie to see Twilight. Her face instantly changed to a disgusted expression that ruined her beauty. She did not stand up, but remained sitting on the hood of the expensive racing car.

"Why is she here?" Rarity almost growled the question.

"Come on, Rares, this isn't Twilight, this is Twilight," Pinkie explained.

Rarity blinked her blue eyes. "By the Stars! what are you talking about?"

Pinkie shrugged. "We'll explain later."

"Nice to meet you, Rarity," Twilight came forward. "This is my friend, Sunset Shimmer."

"Huh. Well met, darling," Rarity simply nodded her head at them like she was avoiding their breath.

"I'm guessing this is your racer?" Sunset reached out to touch the car.

"Don't you dare touch him!" Rarity hissed quickly, making Sunset retract her hand immediately. "Yes, he is mine." She stroked the white hood gently. "He is a Mercedes Benz SLR Volcano. He's a very specific and modified version of the regular SLR. Very few own one of his kind. He has been with me for four years now and we are absolutely inseparable."

"Let me guess, his name is Tom," Twilight chuckled.

Rarity raised a brow. "Why would I name him that?"

"Oh...never mind."

"His name is White Diamond, for any lady's best friend is the diamond."

"Ah fine, Miss Rarity," said the greasy man beside her. "I apologize for interrupting, but who are these drivers? We must outrank all of them."

"We do," Rarity spoke to him. "Pinkie is one of my past companions before I rose to such leagues. She's in the higher ranks of Platinum. These are her friends."

"Miss Rarity, this may seem harsh, but aren't they below your standard?" he asked again.

"Oh?" Sunset furrowed her brows. "What makes you talk like that, huh?"

"He is Blueblood, leader of the Master's League," Rarity introduced him. "Excuse him if he seems a bit rude, but he has earned his spot."

"Miss Rarity," Blueblood continued. "You are Crystal League, higher above this Platinum garbage," he said and gestured to Pinkie. "You should stick with people at or above your rank."

Rarity then hesitated. It was obvious she was weighing the pros and cons of her actions. Both Twilight and Sunset were appalled by Rarity even having to think about this, but they soon realized, this was not the Rarity from their world. After some time of silence, Rarity slid off the hood and stood upright, not looking at Pinkie or her friends.

"Blueblood is right," Rarity said. "If you wish to attend parties like this or speak with me, prove that you are capable of winning. I do apologize for this, but I must retain a reputation. I am one of the best racers, so my presence must be earned."

"Rarity!" Twilight scolded. "How could you?"

"And you dare ask me that? The audacity!" Rarity hissed. "After what you did to us? I'm surprised Pinkie even talks to you." She cleared her throat and waved to a large man. "Oh, Mr. Punchhard!" she sang, "I require your muscle for a moment."

"Oh no!" Pinkie gasped. "She's gettin' the bouncer for us."

"Ya can't do that, Rarity," Sunset interjected. "Torque said everyone was invited here. Well, if we had the money. Pinkie does have the money."

"It's still my party," Rarity huffed. "I retain the right to include and exclude what guests I want."

Punchhard stomped over to them, giving them a stink-eye that was truly frightening. He simply stood there being intimidating, but it was enough for the girls to slowly back away. He would take one large step the farther they went and they exited the party this way.

When they were out of the tower, he stood in the entrance with his massive arms folded and simply stared at them. The girls sighed in defeat. Rejection was not a total surprise, but the disappointment was still heavy on them. So they turned and decided to sit on a bench nearby some small trees to think it over.

"Well this sucks," Sunset said with a hand over her face.

"Don't be sad guys!" Pinkie cheerfully said. "Rarity did say that we have to earn her presence. So that isn't a total rejection right?"

"Doesn't make it a good rejection either..." Twilight sighed. "This was a waste of time."

"I wouldn't say that!"

They all looked up to see the man they weren't expecting at all. It was Torque in living form, just as flashy and picturesque as he was on television. He gave them all a one-sided grin that could be interpreted for both malice or politeness at the same time. He held a bottle of expensive craft beer in his hand and the other was halfway in his suit jacket's pocket. For some reason, he had a pair of aviator sunglasses on, yet it was nighttime. He's pearly whites glistened in the artificial light that came from the lamps and the neon signs.

"Grand Champion Torque!" Pinkie gasped loudly. "Ohhhh myyyy gossshhhh!"

"Nice to see you ladies," he said in his accent.

The girls stood up from their bench in respect. They were quite nervous by the Grand Champion's sudden appearance, but his warm smile calmed them down. Twilight, not knowing how to respond simply half-bowed and rubbed the back of her neck.

"Wow, it's, it's an honor," Twilight stammered.

"No need for that, honey," he chuckled. "I'll get to the point. I know why you two are here with this driver and her mechanic."

"You do? But how?" Sunset was astonished.

"This may surprise you, but we have security cameras on every street corner, even at the bottoms of the city. I saw you two come in through that portal. Never thought I would see somethin' so strange. Took me a while to actually believe it. So Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle, I know you're not from this world. I know you want to get back to your world. So I'll help with that."

"You will?" Twilight gleamed.

"How?" Sunset asked skeptically.

"I'm more than what's on the surface, kid," he chuckled and removed his hand from his pocket, showcasing several large rings. "I know how to send you back. However, before you get excited, it's not gonna be free. You see, I really, really like entertainment. I like to see racing and racing is all I see. You girls are in my city. It would be a shame and boring to just let you leave. So, here's the deal."

"You want us to race you?" Twilight asked already knowing the answer.

"Yes," he smiled deviously, "race and beat me. Show that you are worthy of my aid. And you have to go through the system as well. I won't give you anything for free. With Pinkie and Maud here, I see you two are already on the right track. Keep at it. I'll be watching you ascend from the bottom to the top. Celestia and Luna will be waiting for your challenge."

"Jerk!" Sunset growled. "It's possible we could never leave here then! We have friends in the other worlds. Will you be so selfish to keep us from them?"

"Don't worry, sunny babe, beating me is not as hard as it sounds, hehe," he laughed.

"Torque, please just help us!" Twilight begged.

"Nope. What said is said. The deal has been made. You beat me, you get to go home. Of course, no cheating allowed. If you cheat, you'll be imprisoned with the rest of those scum and never leave here. I believe in you kids," he clapped his hand against the beer bottle. "Make me proud!"

He kept laughing to himself and went back inside the Gala Tower. The two out-of-world girls watched him leave with clinched fists. There was no escaping racing now. They had to win, for their friends in both worlds. Sunset turned around and gestured at Pinkie.

"Let's get started."

(~~~*~~~)

Author's Note:

I think describing Rarity on the car was one of the hottest things I ever wrote....