• Published 10th Mar 2015
  • 1,943 Views, 96 Comments

Equestria Girls: Racers - Gapeagle



After Twilight and Sunset Shimmer have a brief time in Equestria, they go back through the portal. The portal transports them to a different universe than the one they know. One that is ruled on street racing.

  • ...
1
 96
 1,943

Chapter 2: Engines!

"We shouldn't keep walking like this. We're going to get lost."

Sunset shivered as the trio walked aimlessly through the dark and quiet streets. Twilight carried a very tired Spike in her arms. They had been walking for some time. Sunset's phone could not tell the right time as it was still stuck on their normal human world's settings. They did not know the time, place, or even what year they were in.

"We're already lost, Sunset. What we need is a place to sta..."

A massive TV on a building across the street turned on. A bright image of the Torque guy was on it. Having the closer look at him, they could see his features perfectly. The man was middle-aged, clean shaven, and well-groomed. From the bulges in his shirt, they could tell he was burly and well-built. His hair was black which contradicted his white smile. He wore large sunglasses and messy red collared shirt with rolled up sleeves. His hands were black leather gloves with holes for his fingers. This was all they could see as the image cut off at his waist. Torque pointed at the viewers boldly and started to speak enthusiastically.

"After the crushing 5-2 win over the Shadowbolts, the Wonderbolts send out their newest star, Rainbow Dash, against the three-time Platinum League champ, Adagio Dazzle and the Sirens! Other racers like Ocelot Rims and Norman Ways will be there also! The race will take place next week at the Spoilers Track! Engines start at 7:15, race starts at 7:30! Bets begin now!"

The flashes of this world's Rainbow Dash and Adagio left the trio stunned. Spike was not surprised by the fact there were versions of their friends here, but that Rainbow was not only a Wonderbolt, but also an accomplished racer. The human Rainbow did not take interest in racing or cars, but here it was the opposite.

"Remember, the race is March 8th at 7:30. Tickets are now up and so are bets. Cheer and get money folks!"

"Rainbow..." Sunset and Twilight mouthed.

"Hey, she probably knows what's going on! We should go see her." Spike suggested.

"Yeah, we should." Sunset agreed. "But...We don't even know where she is."

"Or we could even talk to her. I mean, they probably don't know us in this universe." Twilight said.

"Wait! That means Rarity is a racer!" Spike gasped. "Oh, man, Rarity with a smoking hot rod, wearing a matching racing outfit..."

"Spike!" Twilight yelled as he began to drool on her arm. The action made Spike stop immediately.

"Sorry..."

"Well, wherever she is, she ain't here. We should stop looking like hookers on a street corner and go find someone who knows anything about this place."

Twilight raised a brow at Sunset. "What's a hooker?"

Sunset slapped her forehead. "Never mind, let's just go."

Sunset nudged past Twilight and walked down the street. Twilight and Spike looked at each other before following. The clicks of their boots could be heard easily with the quiet darkness of the empty streets. There would be the occasional man or woman smoking and leaning on the brick walls. They would ask the people for directions, but the people either ignored them or walked away. The trio passed a colorful club with strobe lights and loud dance music. They thought about going in, but were too young to by pass the bouncer at the entrance. They also concluded that the place was not suitable to learn directions and the such. So they moved on.

The sounds of cars met their ears again. These engines, however, did not sound as clean and smooth as the ones that passed them earlier. They sounded dirty, rusty, and much more in tune with an old muscle car. Sunset quickened her pace. She was becoming impatient with the lack of people willing to speak with them.

"My feet are hurting in this shoes. I hope there is someone to help us here." Twilight complained as she ran to catch up with her friend.

"It will be. I'll make certain of that." Sunset muttered through her teeth.

They rounded the corner. They were met with the sounds of cheering and yelling. They had walked in on a race. There were four cars lined up on the street, none of them as flashy as the ones earlier. Their engines roared voraciously above the cheers of the crowd of 50 or so. The people jumped up and down, waving their phones up like one would at a concert. The other side of the street had people too, but they were mostly men who looked like mechanics. A scantly dressed blonde woman stood in front of the cars, holding a microphone in one hand and a checkered flag in another. She faced the crowd and they applauded some more.

"Are you ready!" Her voice shouted through the speakers that were around the event.

The crowd gave a loud "yeah" in response. This made her smile and she continued.

"Then I give you, the 3AM One Lap Challenge! Our four racers, all from local parts, are competing to get the $25,000 dollar reward. Your bets have been placed; it's now time to get this show going!"

The woman turned to the cars. She gave a quick bow before standing up and dropping the flag on the ground. That instant, the racers slammed on the pedals and lunged forward, their tires screeching on the pavement and large flames emitted from their exhaust pipes. The woman stood still as the cars zoomed by her. Everyone watched the racers leave them in literal and figurative dust. It was not hard to keep them in sight, as their flames were the only lights on the streets. Like metal beasts they charged away with wild and untamed roars. The cars reached a turn and went behind a building. Their engines could still be heard in the distance.

Spike whimpered in Twilight's arms. "That was too loud. My ears..."

Twilight soothed Spike by petting his head. Sunset was unfazed by the cars and walked over to the crowd. They were watching the race on their phones, seemingly through security cameras. They paid no heed to her when she looked over their shoulders to see the race. The flag woman walked off the street casually, twirling her flag in her hand.

"I see some new faces here." She said when she saw Sunset. "So who ya think's gonna win girl?"

"Uhh..." Sunset broke off from the crowd. "I don't even know who's racing."

"Ah, got here a little late eh? That's fine. The blue car is Rob McDrive, the green is Jacky, the black one is Pits, and the white one is Charlie Mean."

"So no one I know."

The woman paused. "You're not from around here are ya?"

"Nope." Sunset said as Twilight walked over with Spike. "This is my friend by the way."

"Nice to meet ya two girls." The woman looked at Spike. "Cute puppy."

"Now." Sunset began. "If ya don't mind, could you tell us about these guys."

"Of course." The woman began. "Oh by the way, I'm Helia. Well, McDrive is on a 4-race losing streak. Tough luck for him since he got up to Bronze League racing. Something these other guys can't say. The newbie, Jacky, well she hasn't lost a race yet. A perfect 3 and 0. She's a nice girl, very friendly. Also the favorite for this race. Pits is the oldest of them, been racing for 20 years and still down in the Dirt League. He's got determination, gotta admit that. And he's good bet in my eye. Charlie is a hot-head. He gets on win streaks and then losing streaks. Very inconsistent, not a good bet."

"Umm." Twilight cut in. "Could we get information on a racer named Rainbow Dash. We saw her on a TV tonight."

The small crowd turned to them in unison. All of them with confused or disgusted faces. Helia herself had the same expression. Sunset moaned, she knew this would happen. It happened to her in the normal human world when she asked who Joe Montana was. It's better to make them think you know something of what you're talking about, she thought. Don't make yourself an idiot Twi!

"Rainbow Dash?" Helia in her confusion. "You don't know Rainbow Dash? The Flying Spectrum? She's like the second best racer on the Wonderbolts. The first being Spitfire. She's won over a 100 races in her first three years. No one's ever done that. Just three years ago she was down in the low leagues like us. She never looked back. She's gone through the leagues as fast as she drives. Lots think she's gonna be a challenger to Torque in a few years. That itself makes her amazing even among the best."

The sound of the engines was returning, only in the opposite direction from which they left. The crowd and Helia took their eyes off the girls. The headlights of the cars led the way as sped down the street toward them. The green one, Jacky, was in the lead. This made the crowd erupt in cheers and some to curse loudly. Helia walked to the edge of the sidewalk, waving her flag. Jacky zoomed by to the delight of many, followed by Pits, then McDrive, and lastly Charlie.

"She's done it again folks!" Helia spoke in her mic. "Jacky has won the 3AM One Lap Challenge!"

The crowd cheered as Jacky gave a fist pump out of her window. All the racers slammed on the breaks and slowed down. Two had to swerve to the side to stop completely, creating loud screeches in the process. The crowd started to settle down. Lots turned to other and received money in their palm. It was easy to tell the winners from the losers in the bets by their joyful or grumpy moods.

"The $25,000 reward goes to Jacky and her team!" Helia pointed at two guys on the other side of the street. They high-fived excitedly.

"Thanks for joining us tonight! Shows over!" Helia waved at the crowd who began to disperse.

Sunset and Twilight remained while the people left. They mainly wanted to talk with the racers. They were the most likely to know where the Wonderbolts were and the directions to get there. Helia was busy with a shady man who was counting the money reward. So the girls slowly walked across the street to where the racers were parking their cars.

Jacky was doing donuts on the street, large puffs of white smoke surrounded her spinning car. The other racers slowly crept up to their respected teams of one or two. When they parked their cars, their teammates came to their windows in mutual dissatisfaction.

"It's alright Pits. Young gunners like her always come up. We'll win next time."

"Don't worry Charlie, we'll get lots of beer. It'll make the night good again."

"Rob don't look at me like that. Hey!"

McDrive stormed out of his car. His helmet in hand and his dark face red with anger. His teammate backed away from him in fright. McDrive then threw his helmet at his teammate, barely missing him.

"This is your fault!" McDrive yelled angrily. "If you had some competence, this car would go faster than a drowning snail!"

"Hey man! We can get this car into shape. Trust me." His teammate reassured him. "Cars like ours needs some extra love."

"No they don't! It's a great car, but you don't have the skill to make it work! You're a terrible mechanic. You're fired!"

His mechanic got up in McDrive's face. "Ya can't fire me. I took ya in Robby. That makes me ya boss."

"Then I quit! I'll go find a mechanic that's at least decent!"

The racer went back into his car and drove off with an obscene hand gesture out of the window. The mechanic cursed and kicked the wall. Sunset and Twilight blinked at each other. The scene confused them. However, they could easily pick up on the problem the two teammates had. Helia had mention that McDrive was on a losing streak, his frustration finally snapped.

"Should we...?" Twilight asked hestitantly.

"Yeah." Sunset nodded.

The girls walked over to the mad mechanic. The man was young and a bit on the chubby side. He had light brown greasy hair and a thick goatee. His denim jacket had ripped sleeves, showing his thick arms and tribal tattoos. His large hands were filthy and calloused. His jeans were baggy and touched the ground behind his leather work boots. He leaned over and began placing his small tools into a backpack, mumbling under his breath all the while.

"Uhh...Mister..." Twilight spoke up.

"Yeah, what ya want?" The mechanic asked coldly as he turned around. Once he saw Sunset and Twilight his expression softened. "Oh, sorry about that gals. Just been hittin' a streak of bad luck, that's all. So, what ya need?"

"What was that all about?" Sunset asked, already knowing the answer.

"Rob just mad that's all. This ain't the first time he's been angry at me. Though it is the first time he drove off without me. I guess he ain't comin' back. We've been on losing streak, ya see. Money hits the bottom and we broke now. Well....I'm broke now. Can't earn money without a racer, ya know. So I'm off to find some green to take his place.....and a new car too. He took my car..."

"What are you going to do now?" Twilight asked.

"I jus' told ya sweetie. Get a new racer and a new car. Gonna have to get back to the garage to see what I need. Talking about gettin' back...I need to haul all this junk three blocks to my place. And got no car."

He gestured at the bags of parts and tools before him. There was quite a bit, probably enough to fit in a trunk. Sunset silently walked over to a bag and swung it over her shoulder. The mechanic was taken aback by the sudden act of kindness.

"We'll help you haul it back." She said with a smile.

Twilight gently dropped Spike on the ground. "Yeah, we'll help."

"That's mighty kind of you two." He said. "Name's Billy. Billy Grease."

"Sunset Shimmer."

"Twilight. The dog is Spike."

"Well, nice to meet ya girls and canine fella. It's late, ya can stay at my place tonight. Don't worry, I got coffee."

"Thank goodness." Sunset sighed in relief.

Billy carried most of the load in his arms, but Sunset and Twilight's load was not miniscule. Spike followed at Twilight's heels. They trailed the mechanic, not knowing where he would lead them. He started to whistle a tune as they walked in the dark streets. The only lights being the huge neon signs above them. There was the odd street light here and there, but not enough to illuminate their path completely.

Twilight leaned over to Sunset and whispered in her ear. "I've never had coffee. What does it taste like?"

(~~~*~~~)

Author's Note:

Second Chapter. Eeyup.

What ya think? I like comments and I love suggestions.

Vroom Vroom!

-Cheers for That!