• Published 4th Jul 2015
  • 3,981 Views, 161 Comments

Wanting to be human - Vinyl-ScratchDJ17



Shes my little sister and i will do what it takes to see her smile once more

  • ...
15
 161
 3,981

It's Nerf or nothin!

I quickly duck behind Damien as we get closer to the group of laughing children. From what I can tell, they are all taller than me, by maybe a few inches. As of now, I am just over three feet tall, so I'm kind of shy. Scratch that. Really shy. I keep thinking back to what mom had said, about her being afraid they'll pick on me. With every step, I become more afrad they won't take to me well

The only three people I've known are Damien, mom and grandma. I guess grandpa died a few years back way before I was even born, from what mamma told me. I think that's why grandma is always in a bad mood, because of that fact. I would be very sad too if somebody that I love had died. But, I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes, although I hope it never happens

I Feel my ears splay back as Damien turns his head around to check on me. I can understand if if these guys just don't want me to play wih them, but if they begin to pick on me, what am I gonna do? I notice him giving me a reassuring smile, as he reaches down to scratch behind one of my ears. I always liked it when he does this, it just feels really good!

The small quad of children, I don't know a word for five, since there's five kids, so quad will have to do, seize firing when they see us. Well, just Damien, since I'm scared to show myself. So many thoughts going on at once, is too much for my still developing brain, which results in me getting a slight headache.

I take in a gulp, as they continue staring in our direction. Now that I'm here, I'm just not ready for it. I guess that talk with mom gave me a bit of doubt that they'll give me any sympathy, or even tolerate the fact that I'm here. My subconscious screams at me to just run back to the house, but I can't bail now...it's too late.

Damien looks back at me again, so I take this monetary chance for him to change his mind, and bring me back to the house. I make the most poutiest the face I can muster up, and gesture my head back to the house, hoping he gets the hint. I sigh deeply, as I hear the footsteps of children nearing. What will they think when they see me? I'm like a talking mutated pony...wait. That's exactly what I am! I thought it was tmnt, not tmnp! excluding the teenage ninja part.

"Hey, guys!" Damien greets them happily, and normally. He's lucky he doesn't have to worry about being judged. He can just walk up to somebody, and say "Hi, how Ya doin?!" with no problem.

Me...I'm kept isolated inside my own home for years on end because I'm different.

I run my hands through my mane to try and ease the stress, but with little success.

I shouldn't have to say mane, or tail, or fur, or wings, or hooves, or anything like that, and be referring to a body part of mine...I shouldn't have to be dealing with this. How was this even possible? Did some force of magic hit me as they pulled me out, that turned me into the freak show that I am? God, I'm a little over three years old, I shouldn't have to be thinking about things like this!

Without even realizing it, I had begun to silently cry, tears streaming down my furry cheeks.

Can't cry now. bad timing! Just calm down and let things happen and see how things go from there, okay? Good plan.

I regain my composure, and dry my face off.

"What do you want?" I heard a little girls voice ask in a polite manner.

I wish I could be her. A human, who doesn't have to go through all this stress when she decides to go out and play with a group of kids across the street. What good am I if I have a hard time doing even that?

"My little sister wants to know if she can play with you guys." Crap...it's almost to the point where he's gonna show them who I really am.

"Sure, she can play! where is she?"

Times up.

Every fiber of my being is screaming at me to run back to the house, but even if I tried, these stupid hooves would make me trip. Guess I have no choice now, other than to be utterly humiliated.

"Before you see her, you guys have to promise not to pick on her...got it?"

"Why would we pick on her?" another child asks. This one sounded like a boy.

"Just don't, please."

"We won't!" The girl answers.

At least, not until you see what I am.

"Sally?" Damien asks in a soft tone.

I look up at him, not saying anything.

"These kids are waiting for you to play with them." He places a hand on my shoulder, but just in case he tries to move me, push it off. "Sorry, she's a bit shy."

Shy?! Shy doesn't even begin to cover it! I'm half pegasus over here, scared for my life, well being, and possible any of what little dignity I have left!

"Sally?" Damien says my name again, but in a whisper this time.

I guess this is it. Where I pray up to the heavens, bend over and kiss their feet, and hope for the better. I go to try and step out from my hiding spot, but know that my legs know where I'm trying to go, the won't respond to my commands. Fine, be that way, you stupid legs. I lean my body over, causing me to stumble just a tiny, bit, and with that, I become fully exposed.

I stand there, not saying anything, or even looking, but I can feel their eyes staring at me. Staring at this...thing that's in front of them.

A few second of silence, that feel like minutes go by. I crack open my right eye to see what's up.

They're all just...staring at me. What's going on in their heads? What do they think of me?

The girl of the group slowly walks up to me. Just for safety, I back up as she tries to come closer.

"Where did you get the cool costume?" She asks.

Wait...she thinks I'm wearing a costume, and she said it was cool?

"It looks so real." She steps closer to me again, this time, against instinct, I stand my ground.

There's no point in running when she'll just keep chasing after me. She circles around me, stroking my tail a single time. Her cold fingers send a chill down my spine. She comes back around to the front of me, standing mere inches away. She bends over a little to get a better look at me. Her breath in causes my eyes to dry up a bit, causing me to close my eyes, and have to rub them.

"This...is a costume...right?" She asks, taking a step back.

With a deep sigh, I shake my head, no.

"How? This...just...how? C-can you talk?"

I nod my head twice.

"Say something, then." One of the other boys smirks.

"How is she not wearing a costume?" One of the boys asks the boy next to him who only shrugs.

"Hi..." I quietly mutter.

"So you can talk. Wow, this is so cool! And you said she's your sister?" The girl asks, turning to Damien.

"Yep, and proud of it." He smiles, and pulls me into a hug.

Damien right now is like my only protection, so I stay close to him.

"But...how? She's...a pony? You're a pony, right?"

"I guess." I reply quietly with a shrug.

"I know that she's not human, but my mom gave birth to her, so she's my sister." Damien says, scratching behind my ear again. I lean my head into his hand, greatfully accepting the affection. "So, are you guys gonna play?"

"Oh, yeah!" The girl exclaims. "Be right back!"

I can't help but smile a little, she's letting me play with them, and she thinks I'm cool! Maybe I was just overreacting.

After a few moments later, the girl comes back out of the two story Brick house, with a small yellow nerf gun.

"Have you played with nerf guns before?" She asks me.

"No, I haven't." I respond in a more positive voice.

"Okay, I got you this one since you're just a beginner. There are plenty more in the house if you want another one. I would have to come with you though. But anyway..."

She begins showing me how to operate the small device. She tells me I put the nerd dart inside the barrel, and pull back this little ring...thing at the back, and press the little trigger, and it will shoot the dart. She puts it in my hand, to show me how to hold it properly.

"Now, point it at me, and press the button." She says after finishing her instructions. She backs up a few paces.

"But...I don't know if it's gonna hurt you." I stare at the small gun in my hands, feeling a bit weird with it.

"It's not gonna, these were made to shoot at other people, now shoot me! Just not the face, though!"

"Okay..." I point the gun at the center of her chest, and squeeze the trigger. With a little popping sound, the dart successfully fires, hitting the target. I watch as the little projectile bounces right off of her.

"See? Now, let's get you another gun, because that's like the worse one to use." She motions for me to follow her inside. I look back at Damien to make sure if it's okay with him. He smiles, and waves for me to go with her.

I smile. and head inside with...whoever this girl is.

"The name is Gracie, what's yours?"

"S-Sally."

"That's a cute name! I like you, you're funny!" She chuckles, and playfully punches my arm, making me giggle a little. Hey I rhymed! Yeah not really, ha ha.

We get inside, and it's just a small foyer with a closet to the left side, and to the right, are several different nerf guns lining the wall. Most of them are pretty big, so I don't wanna use those. Maybe something smaller. I see a semi-big green one closest to me. I pick it up, and I see it's got this red tube like thing sticking out of the bottom, and under the barrel looks like a handle that slides back and forth.

"Hey, I think that one is perfect for you!"

She takes it from me, and shows me how it works, just like before, but this one is a bit more complicated. And instead of firing small darts, this one shoots soft, little, round discs. When she finishes, she gives it back to me.

"And that reeeaaaallly big red one over there, don't touch, it's my dads."

I look to see a gun that is about as tall as I am, with this round thing on top, and an orange handle that comes out of the side, and just like my fun, it looks like it moves back and forth as well.

"It's okay. I wasn't gonna use the bigger ones anyway. And...thanks for...not picking on me...it's hard when I'm the only thing like me, and..."

"Naw, don't sweat it, besides I'm not the type of person to judge, anwyay. Now, let's go have some fun!" She rushes me out the door, and back.

"Alright guys, since I'm the oldest, I'm automatically a team captain, so you guys can fight over who is captain for the other team. And for my first pick for my team, I choose Sally!" She stands next to me, and puts an arm around the back of my shoulders.

"Now, I know all of you know the rules, but I'm gonna go over then as a recap, and because we have a new player joining us! Rule number one! each round is five minutes! There are three in total!" She explains, picking up a nearby clock. It looks like one of those cloks you use when you're cooking something. "Rule munger two! If you run out of darts, you cannot pick any up for reuse until the end of the round! When you do run out of darts, yell I'm out, and head to home base for the remainder of the round!"

I have to admit, for a girl like her, her voice is pretty loud an intimmedating.

"Rule number three! No campo whatsoever! I'm not sure if Sally knows, but camping is hiding in one spot for an extensive time! Unless you are a sniper, which none of us are, don't be camping! Rule number four! If you get shot, you have to go back to home base! My base will be here in the front yard! And Last but not least, Rule number five! be respectful and have good sportsmanship!"

Gracie looks down at me, and smiles. "You're gonna have a lot of fun, my friend."

I smile back at her, my ears perking up a bit.

After we had our two teams made up, the others ran off to find a home base. With their signal, I guess, Gracie starts the timer, and the game begins.

Everyone ran off in different directions, and Gracie signals for me to follow her inside.

"Since you're just starting out, I'm gonna teach you some tips and tricks, okay?"

"Okay."


Well, despite her best efforts in teaching me her tips and tricks, I still got creamed, for the first two rounds. I shot a few kids, but it's hard, knowing who is who, and I ended up shooting one of my teammates once.But, I still had a lot of fun. The third round, I switched my gun to another one, which Gracie told me was automatic, but jams easily, meaning it won't fire. But she showed me how to fix it. I ended up shooting the opposing teams players all at once at the start.

I came up the left side of my house, taking the lead instead of Gracie because I was feeling confident. Gracie and to stay back a bit, so she wouldn't step on my tail. We snuck around the left side of the house. And I saw them all In a group. I took this as my chance to get them, and I fired away, one dart per second. They all looked in my direction after being shot. I waved, and gave a smile, as they all sighed and went back to base.

Another interesting moment was when Gracie's parents saw me. Her mom was like "Oh my gosh! She's like the cutest thing in the world!" And I was pulled into a tight hug against my will. Her father wasn't as pleased she didn't tell them there was another person...well...pony in this case, that was over. Plus he wasn't very amused with my equine features. Although, the mom was having the time of her life, hugging me.

I had a lot of fun today, and I can't wait to do it again sometime. When me and Damien went back home, I was on the fritz! I've never talked more at once in my whole life, let alone talk much at all! Mom was very happy I had a good time, and so was Damien. Here I am thinking I'm a freak, now I have a group of kids I can call my friends! Especially Gracie, I have no idea why she was so nice to me, but I was greatfull for it.

When it came to bed time, I couldn't sleep, because I was still so happy, so Damien had me sleep with him. It's cute how he holds me, and tells me he loves me. I'm thankful to have such a good brother to be there for me when I need him. I cuddle close to him, with his arms around me, and with a kiss on the forehead, he tells me goodnight, and we fall asleep.

Author's Note:

So, here's another chapter I finished in one go. Please let me know if you spot any mistakes within my writing, it would be very well appreciated, thanks! :raritywink::raritywink::pinkiehappy::twilightsmile: