• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 7,373 Views, 340 Comments

inFAMOUS: Second Storm - FrostTheWolf



A young conduit that lives in San Diego does not know what he got himself into after saving a young girl during a hostage crisis.

  • ...
15
 340
 7,373

Chapter 6- A Place for my head

Chapter 6- A place for my head


Seattle, Washington

The situation for both the Princess of Friendship and her companion Vinyl Scratch was rather quite strange when she tried to recall everything that had happened over the past two days. First, there was the change in appearance. She had only had to handle being in a form like her’s only a couple of times and she was still not adjusted to her new body. Especially since this one had several differences, with her powers being the main one. Second was where the two of them were. After some looking around on the first day, Vinyl found out that they were in a place called “Seattle”. It sounded almost similar to Seaddle back home, but wasn’t quite like home either.

Lastly though, there was their powers and the fact they weren’t the only ones who had these abilities. This was shown through the close encounter with the Conduit called “Fetch” and when her light based powers clipped Vinyl on the shoulder. Luckily, the two of them had regenerative healing and major wounds like the shoulder wound would take seconds to heal. Still though, Twilight only had mastered some abilities like teleportation, simple magic bolts, and levitation while Vinyl was able to figure out everything she was capable of in two days. It felt like being back at Princess Celestia’s Academy for Gifted unicorns all over again.

After being attacked by Fetch, both the DJ and the Element of Magic agreed that they should find a place to lay low and hide. Which of course, in the busy city of Seattle, is like finding a needle in a huge haystack. Many buildings had either families living inside, individuals living on their own or with a loved one, or it was off limits. Barely any were considered “Abandoned” and found as a good place to hide for two conduits. Barely any except one.

Despite the condition of where they needed to stay, both Twilight Sparkle and Vinyl Scratch saw some advantages to the place the two conduits found an hour after midnight. After a long time searching, they found a location in an empty record studio. It was an old site that was supposedly sold into foreclosure, but since the DUP have re-established operations in the city, no one set foot inside the building and it was now considered deserted by the previous owner. Now… it was the best place for these two conduits to be.

Since the building was sold recently, mostly everything was still intact. Electricity and Water still ran through the building like blood in one’s veins, which was good for the fact that the refrigerator and bathroom were still functional and not a completely trashed mess. While looking around, Twilight came across an office on the building's second floor that had a personal collection of books inside a wooden like tub that resembled a crate and along the shelves on the walls. “Maybe these could possibly help us somehow?” The Magic Conduit told herself as she levitated the crate to make some space for her to walk. Moving closer, she used her levitation power again to pull out a few huge reference books that could come in handy later on.

“Hey.” Twilight looked to her right quickly to find Vinyl leaning against the open door of the small office. She was trying to be cheerful despite everything that has already occurred earlier today. “Did you happen to find anything? All I could find was the kitchen and where to place our food for the time being.”

“I found some books inside this office. It seemed whoever owned this place had a personal library in here.” She told the musician, setting the books on the desk.

Vinyl chuckled a little. It was ironic to hear that coming from the former caretaker of the Ponyville library before Lord Tirek reduced it to ash and cinders. “Seems like that’s not the only thing.”

“Hmm? What do you mean?”

Vinyl pointed at the desk and some of the objects on there, but the one she picked up and showed to her fellow Conduit was a picture frame. It showed a man in his forties with a wife and two daughters in a boat along the Marina. She sighed as she set it down. “Do you think our families would know of what happened?”

The thought never came across her mind. Twilight never thought about how her parents would react to this, how her brother would react or even how the Princesses would either. They would probably be devastated! “I’m… not sure. I just hope that we can find a way to return home safely so we can see them again.”

Vinyl looked down at the frame again, sighing a little. “I hope so too.” Now, Twilight wasn’t the best at reading emotions. But something told her that Vinyl was acting strangely. With the way she was acting when cornered by “Fetch” earlier today and the way she was acting right now… Something was affecting her.

“Come on,” Twilight said. “We still got the back half of the building to look at-.”

“Wait, there's a back half?” Twilight’s reply to her friends question was a nod and pointing to a sign on the wall, It was a In case of an emergency floor plan for if a fire broke out of the building and where the exits were. It showed both the first and second floor, but the first floor was much bigger. That was because the other half of the property seemed to be a storage facility for if they were selling goods or performing rehearsals.

“Well, looks like you do learn something new every day.” The sound conduit commented, surprised by how she missed that. “Should I let you lead the way or-?”

“Go on ahead, Ms. Scra-. Err sorry, I mean-.”

“There’s no need to apologize Twilight. Mistakes happen.” On the first day they met, the two of them agreed that they did not need to address each other formally. But given Twilights position of being a Princess, old habits are sometimes hard to let go. The two of them made their way downstairs with Twilight using her Levitation powers again to carry all the books down from the second floor office. Coming across the door and opening it, they were greeted by a room filled with shadows and darkness. Only little light from the streets outside lingered in here.

Using her right hand, Vinyl’s energy pulsed around her fingers dimly enough to notice a light switch on the walls. The left hand was used to turn the switch on and fill the room with a partially dim, but mostly bright light. Both Conduits were amazed by their findings.

“Oh now this… is awesome!! Who would leave something like this behind!?” The was Vinyl referring to the huge amount of space that was as big as a warehouse. It also had a performance stage equipped with all the goods a musician would need to practice their skills or throw a concert inside here.

This included four huge Bose surround sound speakers, a high quality DJ turntable with a Sony Vaio Laptop that was plugged into the wall. When inspecting it further, the Sound conduit was surprised to see that the device was relatively new and that it didn’t even have a password. Finally, there were three huge stacks of CD’s from many musical artists that Vinyl didn’t recognize, but sounded awesome by the names of the artists. This included Linkin Park, Deadmau5, Skrillex, Korn, Metallica, Kill the Noise and a record label with a variety of electronic artists called “Monstercat.” Besides the stage, there were also some other living arrangements in here including furniture, a widescreen TV, a coffee table and other arrangements that were scattered across the room.

Coming in a few seconds later, Twilight herself was surprised to see everything that was inside and decided to set her books down on the floor space by one of the small couches. Looking around the place had her pose a question for her friend. “I wonder what they could’ve used this place for…”

“Looks like a former warehouse turned party place!” came the DJ’s reply. “It’s as big as a Coltco in Baltimare!!” Vinyl tried looking through the massive collection of cd’s that were in stacks while Twilight tried to look at the collection of books. But there was something on the Princesses mind that distracted her from such a task. Something that was on her mind that she needed to ask.

“Hey Vinyl… Can I ask you something?”

The DJ now looked at Twilight with a confused expression on her face. Waking on over to another couch that was on the Princesses right, she sat down. “Yes Twilight? What is it?”

“I wanted to ask you something… Forgive me if it sounds a bit… personal, but it’s been on mind for a while today. Earlier… when you were being chased by Fetch…”

“Yeah… What about it?”

“You were acting a bit… different. Not in a bad way, but in a way where I didn’t expect it. You were a lot different from the other times where I saw you as either happy or calm. Why were you so…”

“Harsh?” Vinyl filled in the words for her.

“Yeah, that’s one way of putting it. I also noticed you act a little differently when looking at the photo frame in the office upstairs….” Twilight paused for a minute, trying to form the words inside her head. Then, she spoke once more. “Is something bothering you?”

Silence then drifted around the room. It was heavy like fog. Twilight felt like she hit a nerve. She personally even felt sorry for bringing it up. After a few minutes, the magic conduit was even going to apologize for bringing the topic up, but was interrupted when Vinyl interrupted her.

“I have a bad memory from when I was a filly. I use to have a teacher named Rhythm Wave. He was a stallion who helped me learn the basics of making music and also was the one who thought I would do best with a Turntable and Rock instruments then anything that was classical. He was a good teacher, but at the same time he had his own problems. He was an alcoholic and every time I saw him, I could smell Apple Cider or Appleloosa Whiskey on his breath. But his drinking wasn’t the only problem.”

“Only problem?” Twilight dared to ask.

“His anger was another problem. Rhythm had problems with violent outbursts and had been the cause of several fights in different towns and cities because somepony offended him or had the guts to push him over the edge by mentioning his wife or his two daughters.”

“Oh…” Just like in the frame.

“It only gets worse.” Vinyl told her like it was a warning. “On the night of my final session before I moved to Seaddle, Rhythm was beyond sober and saw me leaving him as the tipping point. When I thought that my dad was going to take me home, instead, my own teacher saw him as a filly-napper. My dad was rushing me since we only had ten minutes before we missed the train. Rhythm’s first motion? He trotted up to us in an alleyway and brutally attacked my father. He beat him to within an inch of his life in a drunken rage and I couldn’t do anything to stop him. Even when I put myself in harm’s way, my teacher pushed me aside to continue his Brutal beating. I saw it happen before my very eyes, almost lost my dad and he didn’t go to jail until he was arrested for starting a brawl half an hour later when a guard found me pleading for somepony to help us.”

“I-i’m sorry to hear that,” Twilight stuttered. “I never thought something that horrible would happen to anypony.”

“That’s okay. The reason why I was acting the way I was earlier though was because Fetch cornered me in an alleyway like Rhythm did with me and my father. Also, their attitude during the situation was similar. She was intimidating, telling me that a lost conduit is a dead conduit if I’m not careful.”

“Well not everypony is the same, Vinyl. Maybe Fetch is different.”

“Maybe, but I don’t know. I think I’m just tired.” Vinyl yawned as she looked at the clock. It was about ten minutes after two o’clock in the morning. “I think we should just hit the hay and call it a night.”

Twilight agreed with her on that point. When the lights were turned off, the magic conduit looked up through the glass dome on the roof and watched as the stars twinkled. As a shooting star passed through, the young princess wished a single thought on that star

“Spike, please be safe.”


St. Louis, Missouri

Along the streets of St. Louis, a battalion of DUP soldiers we’re being mobilized. They received a call on their Bio-terrorist hotline around 6:30am about reports of two conduits somewhere in the city. Currently, eyewitnesses saw two individuals in an alley nearby downtown. One was a boy with green shaggy hair and a dark purple jacket and jeans shorts while the other was a young adult with a set of clothes you would find in a JCPenney or Macys. However, it was unknown as to what their abilities were.

Meanwhile, as the DUP were moving in one direction, those two suspected individuals were moving in the opposite direction, hiding from capture. They were trying to keep their heads down and only move when the back of the soldiers were turned away from them. When taking a small rest break, the first to speak was the girl. She looked to be almost twenty years of age give or take and had her ten year old companion hold two small backpack that carried both of their belongings.

“Spike, how much further do we need to run? This entire city is making me feel sick.”

“Just as long as those guys don’t find us.” The child told his friend. “I saw them take people off the street because they had powers.”

“Y-you mean… Like your fire?” The girl asked as Spike had a small green flame curl around his fingers before it faded away.

“Yeah. But my fire somehow feels different this time. Unlike at home, it feels like I can control it. Maybe do more things with it than I thought was previously possible.” The boy sighed a little when he thought of the word home. “If only Twilight were here. Maybe she would know a thing or two about this. She always knows a thing or two when it came to magic.”

“I’m just worried about Sweetie Belle.”

“Rarity… We’ll make sure to find a way home and find everypony else that got pulled into this place. I was pulled in with you and Twilight, but now she could be anywhere. I promise though, we won’t give up until-.”

“There they are!!! Seize Them!!”

“Oh feathers! Run!!!” Spike hollered as the he and Rarity tried to sprint, but they were being chased by six Soldiers through a series of alleyways. Each soldier had standard issued equipment and tactical weapons. The young boy soon could feel the strain in his legs. He knew that he could not run anymore. Spike had no choice now but to fight.

“Rarity, Get behind me!” He told her, grabbing her wrist and having fire come out of one of his hands.

“W-what!? What are you going to do!?” She asked, surprised.

“Try to defend ourselves!” Like he was replicating a comic book character, Spike had the palm of his hand facing towards the DUP Soldiers that were preparing to open fire. Surprisingly, he launched a green fireball that created a distraction for the militia and coughed up a thick cloud of smoke. Yelling could be heard as a way for Spike to know that his attack worked.

“H-how did you do that?” A shocked Rarity asked.

“I don't’ know, I just thought a “What if?” and BAM! It happened.” Spike told her as the Fashionista was looking to see if there were any possible escape routes. “I tried to concentrate like Twilight does sometimes with certain spells.”

“Well, we can worry about that later-.”

THUD! Rarity turned around to find the young dragon she knew passed out and tired on the concrete pavement that they were walking on. “Spike? Come on, this isn’t a place to fall asleep. Wake up!!” She tried to shake the boy, but it wasn’t of any use. With Spike out for the count, only she could be able to defend herself.

She was now on her knees, picking up and holding the youngling using her left arm. Rarity thought that Spikes powers or whatever he called it taught those mongrels a lesson. Those thoughts had faded away when the sounds of her breathing were overrun by the sound of boots on the pavement and weapons clicking free.

“Over there!! I see the girl! She has the kid that took out half the squad!!”

“Objective remains the same! Capture them at all costs!!”

“Those Animals!” Rarity thought to herself. “I have an injured child and they still insist on following their orders!? Those monsters better think differently if they think I would just turn myself in!” Without noticing it, Rarity’s right hand began to glow and create a small tears from the concrete she was standing on. From the tear, Crystals of different colors began to circle around that hand and then all around her. When the soldiers tried to fire their guns, the gemstones acted as a shield, blocking all incoming bullets. This now caused some of the troops to panic.

“Alright then…” Rarity looked at the arm men the same way Spike did and copying the movements he made earlier. “My turn.”

Almost instantly, the crystals flew forth as rapid fire shards that shattered on contact. One at a time, her shards sent the DUp troops flying and pinned them against a wall and knocking them unconscious.

“Hmmph… Serves you right for being the mongrels that you represent yourself as.” The purple haired girl taunted. But, to her sudden surprise, Rarity didn’t notice the one soldier that she missed. The one that avoided the conflict like the rest of his squad to try and attack her from behind without his helmet or body armor. Only when the element of generosity tried to turn and run did she see him try and go after her.

“What the-!?”

BONK!!! Instead of the officer knocking out her, a man behind the officer knocked him out by smashing a Hennesseys Whiskey bottle across the backside of the soldiers exposed head. As the bottle broke, the slick haired man tossed the neck of the broken bottle at a dumpster and washed it shatter into pieces.

“Well, there goes a bottle of good alcohol.” Now this man could be seen clearly. His hair was styled backwards in an Elvis Presley look and wore black sunglasses. His white shirt had a pair of flaming dice on it and his green shirt jacket matched his cargo shorts and sneakers.

“Are you okay, miss?” He asked, putting what looked like a revolver back in his side holster. Offering a hand, the crystal conduit used it to help pick herself off of the cold pavement and back on her feet.

“Y-yeah. Just startled… and tired.” Rarity tilted herself towards an asleep Spike, who was now on her shoulders like he asked for a piggyback ride. “Those men had been chasing us for quite some time, thinking we’re some kind of foul terrorist.”

“You mean Conduits?” the man asked.

“I beg your pardon?” The seamstress was right now confused by this new term. She had heard of it once or twice from local civilians, but never knew what it meant.

“Conduits… you know, the ones with powers?”

“You mean this?” The purple haired girl asked, showing the crystals she channeled before.

“Yeah, exactly!” The man was now looking left and right, seeing if anyone was possibly coming for them. “Come on, ma’am. It’s not safe here-.”

“Excuse you?” Rarity shot back. "Do you even know how to properly talk to a lady, sir!?”

“Yeah, but now isn’t the time for that, miss…”

“Rarity.”

“Excuse me?” The man asked.

“That’s my name. I’m Rarity and this little guy on my back is Spike.”

“O…… kay, that's a first.” He thought to himself, having Rarity follow him. The two of them continued to move through the streets of the city until they arrived at an intact RV that had the back windows blocked out.

“Hop in and hang on. I’m going to get you out of the city to someplace safe that might work for us.”

“Thank you so much, sir.” Rarity complimented, taking a spot to lay Spike down and for herself to sit near the back of the vehicle.

“No worries. Oh and call me Zeke. That’s my name.”

End Chapter 6

Author's Note:

I focused this chapter on explaining Vinyl's emotions, thee reason for her actions, and to introduce a new perspective from the eyes of Spike and Rarity. Spike being a Dragon fire Conduit and Rarity being a crystal conduit. Also, you got Zeke... Enough said.

-Frost

P.S. For those of you who are reading some of my other stories like Swords, Sorcery and Shenanigans; Tales of the Wanderers, and Follow the Wind; Updates for those stories might take a while due to certain circumstances. I also had an idea for a second Displaced story that takes place in the Power Ponies Universe. Please leave a comment on whether you think it sounds like a good idea and how well did you think I did with this chapter

Music: Linkin Park- A place for my head