• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 7,373 Views, 340 Comments

inFAMOUS: Second Storm - FrostTheWolf



A young conduit that lives in San Diego does not know what he got himself into after saving a young girl during a hostage crisis.

  • ...
15
 340
 7,373

Chapter 11- Guardian

Chapter 11- Guardian


Unknown Location- 1:20am

Darkness. Darkness lingered throughout the room of a light prison cell that had no windows. No light. No light to allow the prisoner inside to see. Her hands were enclosed by a special restraint issued and used by the DUP. One that prevented a conduit from using their powers.

The Prisoner locked away was a conduit. But no one could see who it was from the outside. The DUP always used a compact prisoner cell that resembled a mobile storage unit so the captives would not know where they were taken or have any means to possible escape. The prisoner herself only had a 20ft x 20ft x 10ft block of space as light flooded the room and interrupted her sleep.

The woman in the cell wore an orange pair of DUP detainee jump pants and a grey t-shirt that had the DUP logo on the front of it in a bright yellow. She looked like she was in her mid forties judging by her appearance and also had dark greyish eyes. But her most unforgettable feature was her tied up and flat orange hair. The Conduit began to look around, unfamiliar with where she was. Until a new voice…… startled her.

“Evening, Brook.”

The wall in front of the prisoner began to disappear into a transparent glass barrier as it showed a man with brown eyes, slick back hair and black clothes with a coat that stretched down to his feet in all black. Two DUP bishops were by the man until he dismissed them with a wave of his hand. The female prisoner looked disgusted, but also partially relieved. Maybe for the fact that he’ll explain why she’s here.

“Roman, just what are you doing here? Don’t you remember that I’m a suspect of a case.”

“I understand that. But… Let’s just say that I pulled some strings.”

“Is that why I’m in this god forsaken holding cell? Matter of fact, where are we?”

“DUP Airliner. Going to San Diego.”

The captive was stunned. “Okay, tell me what you did.”

“Simple. You’ve never had a criminal record until now, so I had a plea deal arranged. The DUP not only paid for your bail, but you are under our protection now. The Queen might’ve fallen, but the king still remains.”

The prisoner grinned slightly. “So I take it that you’re in charge now…”

“Yes I am…… And I’ve been making some major changes-.”

“Sir!!” The intercom went off across the room and the small cabin. “We are approaching Carlsbad Private Airfields.”

“Excellent. Land the plane and we can prepare to move out. Afterwards, you’re clear to take Joker to Seattle to get Curdan Cay operational again.”

“Roger!!”

With a quick few key presses on a nearby keypad, Roman unlocked the door for the captive that was inside as she stepped on out. He offered to help take off the restraints and with a quick CRACK!!, a whiplash from his hands smashed the bindings on the prisoners hands.

“So, it seems like you’re wire powers have improved over the time I’ve been gone.”

“Very much,” The Wire Conduit told her as he handed to her a small pouch of stones for her to drain and absorb. The Two continued to walk down the hallway towards what appeared to be a cargo bay door. “Now, let me explain the ground rules. I kept most of the Rankings for the DUP as is, but I changed it to where not one person had total control. There’s the head, called the king. In which, that’s me. But I also have four other representatives who I split control of the DUP across the country.”

“Like the branches of government?”

“Exactly. There’s Jack, Ace, Joker and you, who is the queen. All five of us have powers and all five of us are also Prime Conduits.”

She was intrigued by the new setup, but wondered something. “Who are these conduits and what are their powers?”

“You’ll see soon enough.”

Roman opened the door to the cargo bay, letting his accompanying companion enter first out of courtesy. She was surprised by what she saw.

There were three people. All who were, in one way or another, expressing signs of powers. The first was a young woman around 25 years of age, who wore torn jeans shorts that went to the knee caps, a white shirt and a jeans jacket that had the symbols of playing cards on them and had the sleeves torn at the elbows along with red eyes and a pig tail hairdo that reminded some people of Harley Quinn. The second was a man around his early twenties and looked like a kid who decided to join the military instead of going to college. He wore camo pants, a dark green t-shirt, black shoes and had a silver watch on his right wrist and a wounded warrior wristband on his left. Brown hair, green eyes, calm face with glasses. The final person was of samoan descent with dreads that were tied up in the back. Grey eyes, dark skin, and a serious expression. Wore a sleeveless Nike Shirt and black cargo pants along with a pair of slip on shoes that replicated feet. Seemed to be about 38 years old.

“Giselle Eaton, Robert Breaker, James Murray. Joker, Ace, Jack.” Roman explained, pointing each one of them out. “Joker can manipulate a deck of cards to her will. Ace can bend, control, and become metal and Jack can shift the polarity of objects and control them with Magnetism.”

All three of them noticed Roman as he came on down the stairwell of the plane. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like you to meet the Queen of the West Sector. The Concrete Conjurer, Brook Augustine.”


Seattle, Lantern District (5:40am)

One moment, he was waving goodbye to his parents in his front yard. The next moment, Shawn found himself on top of a oriental shaped building that resembled a chinese temple. Teleportation never really came with a warning on it, but if it did, he would really appreciate it.

“You okay, Shawn?” Celestia asked, noticing that the Snow Conduit was in a small daze before he was back to normal.

“Y-yeah. Just warn me next time before we do that again, okay?”

“Point taken.” Celestia replied. She knew that for long distance Teleportation, it only worked if the caster had met two qualifications. First, you need to see the location in which you’re going to. Second, you need to take into account if you’re going by yourself or if you’re taking more than one individual at a time since it takes more energy to transport more people. For the first step, the Princess had some help by looking over a few photographs of the city that Shawn’s father had taken when he was with family on vacation here. The second step was easier since she had done it before with her sister, Luna.

“Hey… I remember this place.”

“You do?” Celestia asked, surprised a little.

“Yeah, this is the Lantern District in Seattle. Really chinese themed marketplace and building structure. If that’s the case, then the police station should be close by.”

Nicholas Kingston had a lot of Law Enforcement contacts over the years. But one of his best friends was Sheriff Ethan Douglas of Seattle PD. A kind man who was always up for lending a helping hand. Shawn hadn’t seen him since he was eight, so right now, he saw it as the best time as any in order to have a little reunion. His father even gave him a note with his cell phone number so the Snow Conduit could call him the moment he arrived in Seattle. Taking his phone out, he dialed the number that was on the sticky note given to him and waited for the phone to sync.

“Hello? Sheriff Douglas speaking?”

“Mr. Douglas, this is Shawn Kingston. I believe my father called you earlier in the day to let you know I was coming by.”

“Well, I’ll be damned. I haven’t heard from you in a long time.” The Officer replied, a bit shocked to hear the teens voice. “It’s great to hear from you. So, what brings you to Seattle?”

“A friend and I want to get the chance to meet Delsin. Maybe we can help you out and then you can help us out.”

“Sounds like a fair trade to me. Come to the parking lot by the police station and I can fill the two of you in on how you can help. Oh and Shawn…”

“Yes?”

“Welcome to Seattle.”

The call ended with a soft click as Shawn put the phone back in his pocket. Turning to Celestia, he asked her something. “You ready?”

“After you.”

Shawn could only reply with a chuckle as the two of them went from rooftop to rooftop using their flight based abilities that their powers specialized in. For Shawn, he had his hands at his sides as they were used like thrusters while Celestia had used her powers to forms wings out of Solar energy. They continued to travel across the rooftops for another few moments until the structure that the head officer was referring too was visible. From there, Shawn dropped downward, landing on one knee as he calmly got up.

“Are you alright?” Celestia asked, worried that he might’ve hurt himself.

“I’m alright. Plus side with being a Conduit is that I can’t exactly fall to death.”

Celestia chuckled at the stray comment. She admired his enthusiasm. Especially during these times. Soon, the chief came out to greet the two of them. Along with one other individual. He looked like a young genius. Almost same age as Shawn, but wore glasses, a collared shirt and a tie to go with a pair of slacks that he had too.

“Well now, you have most certainly grown my friend.”

“So have you. I almost half expected Reggie to be behind you too.”

That’s when Celestia noticed the Sheriff’s expression change. Change to an expression of sadness and despair. But the chief didn’t say anything. He just refocused his attention towards the topic at hand. “Right… Which reminds me, who’s your friend?”

Celestia herself sighed. She didn’t really think that far ahead on if somepony… or someone asked what her name was. The first thing that came to her mind though was a nickname given to her by Discord. It would have to do for now. “I’m Tia, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Same here, miss. Now, before we get down to business, there is someone I would like you to meet.” The Sheriff replied as he directed his attention towards his companion. “This is Ethan Morley. He’s part of our Tech Division and has something that can assist the both of you.”

“Indeed I do.” He replied, greeting both conduits with a small bow and a right hand over his chest. “Shawn, right?”

“Yes?”

“May I borrow your phone for a minute?”

“Sure, but why?”

“The Department has been receiving some help from the friends of Delsin Rowe over the past couple of months. One of these things includes a program that can allow you to decrypt DUP radio frequencies.” Nathan explained, transferring the program onto Shawn’s phone. “When you’re at high elevation or on top of a building, you can listen on what they’re saying.”

“Well hey, every bit helps.” Shawn said, smiling. For a moment, Celestia thought that the teen was being Greedy. But it wasn’t until the Conduit had to explain to her that it was a figure of speech that she thought otherwise. Nathan then applied the program to Celestia’s phone as well and then mentioned that he included a bonus for them as well, adding a software program similar to something that emergency response crews have been working on to where they can use nearby tech to their advantage. This, of course, reminded Shawn a lot of when Watch_Dogs came out and he was playing it alongside his father. Ah, the memories.

“Alright, that should do it.” The technician replied. “You two be careful now. Wouldn’t want you two to get ambushed by a bio-.”

“Nathan…” The Sheriff cut him off.

“What? I’m just concerned sir.”

“I know, but no one uses that term on the force.” Ethan scolded him. “Besides, you don’t know who is a Conduit and who isn’t.”

That’s when Shawn himself sighed. He knew that this topic would come up sooner or later, he just honestly didn’t expect it to come up right now.”Actually, there’s something I need to tell you, Ethan.”

“What is it?”

“I don’t know if dad told you this but… You know what, it’ll be easier if I showed you instead.” Putting his left hand in front of him, he aimed it as a rain puddle that was on the ground by the Sheriff’s feet and drained the source. Both members of the Police were stunned. They had no idea that he was an actual conduit.

“It started four years ago. Never been caught by the DUP.”

“Wow… That I did not expect. But, in all honesty, that just makes the task I have for you a lot easier.”

“Would you care to explain what this task is?”

“Certainly.” The Sheriff nodded. “We have cases of possible criminal activity being thwarted down by Seattle Center, Queen Anne and near the Ramiera. We just need a photo of what occurred so we can tell if Fetch caught them or not.”

Celestia and Shawn at this point were confused. “Pardon me, but who is this Fetch that you are talking about?”

“Her real name is Abigail Walker, but she goes by Fetch since it was a nickname her late brother gave her.”

“Hmm… My conduit senses are tingling. Is Fetch what I think she is?”

The Sheriff nodded. “Yeah, she’s a conduit that can control the energy and gas in Neon Lights. Use it to run real fast, fire lasers, and restrain thugs. Her handiwork is sometimes purple glowing restraints around their body, preventing them from moving.”

“Alright, thanks.” Shawn complimented the officer as he and Celestia left the scene. Soon, the two of them part ways. The Ramiera was closer, so Celestia was going to investigate there while the Snow Conduit would cross the newly repaired bridge to the other side and investigate Queen Anne and Seattle Center. Along the way though, a blitz of light rushed past him and it was followed by a strange voice that distracted him before he could even call Celestia.

“Excuse me, sir.”

Shawn turned around to see a lavender haired girl in a schoolgirl outfit running towards him. “Would you have happened to see a moving flash of light just now?”

“Yeah, it went into the Lantern District. Why do you ask?”

“It’s for… a project.” She replied before rushing off. Strange girl… almost reminded the snow conduit of… wait a second… could it be?

With a new thought on his mind, Shawn dialed Celestia as he was beginning to reach the halfway point of the bridge. “Hey, heads up. You got two conduits heading your way. One of them appears to be Ms. Light Show like what Ethan was talking about. But the other might be one that you would recognize.”

“What do you mean by that?” Celestia asked in response.

“Well, the other conduit is a girl with Lavender hair and is wearing a schoolgirl academy outfit. But the thing is, she sounds a lot like your student.”

A brief pause was followed up by a new question. “She sounded like Twilight?”

“More than just sounded. She also acted like her. I’m going to continue moving. Just keep me posted if you find anything new.” With that, Shawn ended the call and continued to move on. He was mostly in the clear, but had to use the sidewalk since cars were going across the bridge to and from each end and he rather not get himself ran over. However, there was one slight problem once he reached the end of the bridge.

A DUP checkpoint.

“Well crap. This is going to be a pain to deal with.”

One thing first though. He had to get in the Sheriff’s face for this.

Shawn?

“Sheriff……”

“Shawn? What’s the matter?”

“What’s the matter!? There’s a FREAKING DUP CHECKPOINT at the end of the bridge!! It’s like a military camp in the middle east!!!”

“There is? I didn’t hear anything about that from recent patrols. Isn’t Tia with you?”

“We split up in order to cover more ground. She was going to the Ramiera while I was going to go to Queen Anne and Seattle Center to kill two birds with one stone.” Shawn could hear the officer sigh deeply over the phone and slam down on his desk in anger. This was an unexpected development that delayed the current task. Other sounds include the tapping of a pen and flipping through a note pad. Soon though, he got back to him.

“Okay, only way I’m seeing you go in is for you to tear that hunk of junk down. Do you happen to see a cage labeled “Suspects” at the top of it?”

Shawn turned around, seeing it and a huge satellite dish that was twice as big as the one you would normally get if you signed up for DIRECTV. “Found it along with an ugly satellite dish and a bunch of cables. Can’t they find a way to be able to work wirelessly?”

“That must mean they’re by a communications tower. Taking that down will be a big help to you. If you do so, those bastards can’t call reinforcements.”

“Well that’s an added bonus. Time to go to work.” Hanging up the phone, Shawn casually played the part of a civilian as he put up his hood and walked over to a water cooler that was by the communications tower. He was watching the on duty DUP pawns check in with a few school buses that were taking a group of kids to the Space Needle as he drank a few cups of water. Next, he stealthily hid a few pieces of ice inside the Satellites control panel. The amount of heat it was creating would cause the water to melt and from there, cause it to short circuit.

Just as he was walking back towards the cage, one of the pawns caught sight of Shawn and started to walk over. “Hey you!! This area is off limits to civilians!”

‘Play it cool, Shawn. You got this.’ Shawn told himself before speaking. “Oh I’m sorry sir. I’m a bit new here and not use to how things are set up unlike how they are back in California.”

“It’s okay sir, these things happen-.”

A few seconds later, a loud buzzing crack could be heard on all the handheld radios that the DUP had on hand.

“What the hell? Hey Michaels!! Communication’s down!”

“Really? Now? Dammit. Okay, go check it out. I’ll deal with the kid.”

‘Crap, think fast!’ The Snow Conduit thought to himself. “Hey sir, there’s something on your face.”

“My face? What is it-?”

SMACK!!!

“My FIST!!!”

The attack knocked the DUP pawn to the ground as his colleague aimed his rifle. “Alright, that’s it. Let me see your hands!!!”

“Oh, you want to see my hands now?” The Conduit taunted. It was a mistake that the DUP will soon regret. From around the whole entire area, a cold draft can be felt in air as it caught the attention of all the troops in the area. Mostly because that feeling was snow and ice freezing around their feet. From Shawn’s outstretched hands, he now had prepared one of his strongest abilities.

Absolute Zero.

“Code red!! Weapon’s free!!! We had a bio-!”

Before the DUP officer could even finish that sentence, Shawn’s hands reached the ground, blasting all of the troops with a forceful shockwave of Snow and Ice. The DUP officers were also restrained to the ground in frozen restraints that held them down to the ground.

“Okay, first off. The proper term is conduit…”

Before he could finish his sentence, he realized that there was a DUP knight that he had not noticed earlier that was preparing to fire it’s Railgun. When the bullets started to fly, Shawn formed a Frozen barricade to block the shots.

“ …… Second, do you idiots know that bullets ricochet?”

When Shawn’s powered up palm met the shield, the bullets that were residing inside the ice shot back at the knight with much more force than before and covered in ice, freezing him in place. Before Shawn could leave though, he needed to take care of the convoy a few feet away from him-.

Until a loud piercing blast sent the vehicle sky high and falling towards him.

“Holy sh-!!”

The Conduit was lucky enough to dash out of the way and avoid the falling transport as it crashed down. As he looked at one of the DUP soldiers on the pavement, Shawn sighed.

“For the record, that was not me.”

After freeing the people in the suspects cage, Shawn dashed away from the scene in a cloud of snow as he went up topside. Well, that was one thing down. Now he needed to go take care of the errand that the Sheriff asked for.


Meanwhile,

At first, Delsin was trying to enjoy his calm monday morning. However, as he was going to the Market District through Georgetown, he found something… unusual. Matter of fact, downright bizarre. Instinct told him to reach for his phone and call up a fellow conduit he knew.

“Eugene?”

“What’s up, Delsin? Trying to find out where Vinyl is?”

“No, it’s not that. I just arrived at a DUP checkpoint and it looks like hell has frozen over. There’s Ice everywhere.”

“Ice? That’s strange. It’s the middle of Summer. How can that happen?” Eugene asked… “Unless… Hang on a second, let me checked something.”

While he waited for the Teen Angel to get back to him, Delsin began to investigate the area. Hard Ice held down a LOT of DUP’s. Which meant that whoever this Conduit was, they really picked a fight. He also saw a small crowd standing over by a couple of school buses. Taking into account that they could be possible witnesses, Delsin approached one of the teachers and walked towards them.

“Excuse me. I just got here and what exactly happened?”

“You didn’t see it?” One of the students on board called out. Possible a middle schooler based on what they sounded like.

“See what exactly?”

“This kid came in here and had the stones to pick a fight with all the Pawns in the area. He used Ice to catch them by surprise and when he was done, he left in a cloud of Snow.”

“Right… Snow… got it.” Delsin said, taking a few mental notes inside his head. “Oh, and do you remember what he looked like?”

“Had a blue jacket, jeans, black shoes, cyan V-neck and some sort of necklace that had a spark. Also had white headphones too. Couldn’t see his face because of his hood.”

“Okay, thanks kid. You’ve been a major help.” The Akomish thanked as he gave the kids a real sight by turning into smoke. Going through a few vents, Delsin got topside on the Seafood restaurant named Olaf’s and got his phone out again.

“Eugene, you find out anything because I got some details on something that might be surprising to you.”

“Okay, lay it on me, Delsin. Twilight just got back by the way. She told me to tell you hi.”

“Right… Anyways, remember when you mentioned the Snow Conduit that captured that Pablo… What’s his name? Aw, Screw it. Anyways, I think we’re dealing with the same guy. Can you find anything on a conduit with a Blue jacket, jeans, cyan shirt, and black shoes. He also seems to have a pair of white headphones and a Spark like necklace.”

Eugene took a few moments to search what his friend asked for, but to his surprise, he found a lot more than what he expected. “Dude, we have seemed to bite off more than we can chew with this one. There’s a video on YouTube showing what this guy did and people are now calling him a Guardian Angel.”

“More like Snow angel if you get what I mean.”

“Del, we already have one angel. We don’t need two.”

“Right… Let me come back to the hideout so you can show me the video-.”

“No need. I sent it to your phone so you can see it for yourself.”

Delsin chuckled a little as he looked at the clip that Eugene forwarded to him as he watched the Teen defeat the DUP pawns and outsmart a knight. At one moment though, he saw him hold a cell phone. This could be a key to try and track him.

As he returned to the hideout, the Akomish could see him computing strings of numbers and numerous computer codes to try and find the phone of the Snow Angel that was reported to be seen earlier. Local news had already caught attention of the incident and it had a mixture of opinions. Mostly positive but still a fifty-fifty majority. Fetch and Vinyl soon returned to see what was going on, only to find Eugene hard at work with no one wanting to interrupt him.

“Uh… What’s up with Pixels?”

“You heard about what’s on the news?” Delsin asked them, showing the two conduits what was on the nearby TV. It took a few moments, but soon, they were caught up to speed.

“Well, great… First Sound and Magic, now snow? Is there like some sort of Conduit convention that we don’t know about that’s drawing all of them here?”

“Not quite sure, but Eugene is trying to-.”

“Got it!!” Eugene interjected in pure joy. “I found his phone. He’s calling someone now.”

“Isn’t that considered spying?”

“Not if they can’t hear us.” Eugene told them, using his video powers to pull out what was on a nearby computer and putting it up on the flat screen TV in the room like he was throwing darts. Soon, the conversation of the Conduit and the person he was calling echoed throughout the room.

Hey Ethan. I checked the spots in Queen Anne and Seattle Center for you. The First one was definitely Fetch’s handiwork since I found the guy held down by Neon on the side of a Wall. The Second though was a lot…… different.

Different? How?” Came the familiar voice of Seattle PD’s Sheriff.

The criminals I found restrained in Seattle Center looked like they were held by soundwaves. Speaking of which, some kind of Noise Missile blew up a convoy after I tore down the DUP checkpoint?

Sounds like you ran into the Sound Siren. DUP’s been talking about a conduit with Sound based powers going around and defending herself against the DUP. Last I heard was that she was in a DJ get up and had two shades of blue in her hair and was very wavy.

Got it. Thanks man.

Anytime, Shawn.

The call did not provide a lot of information that they could work with. But, out of all this, Delsin saw some kind of connection… and realized something. Something big. “Hey Eugene…”

“Yeah?”

“Remember when you told me the rumor that this guy was related to Nicholas Kingston? The head of the San Diego police?”

“Yeah? You said that you and Reggie knew him when he and his family came to Seattle during a cookout eight years ago, right?” Eugene told the Akomish and he nodded his head. “How does this relate to this though?”

“That’s because it is related. He has a son that I met during that day. His name was Shawn.”

“Just like the name mentioned in the phonecall.” Twilight said. “Eugene, is there a way that you can identify somepony using your powers?”

“My computer had an identification program, but I need a clear visual of his face in order to see it. He had his hood on the whole time he was fighting the DUP.”

“Damn…” Delsin said to himself… “Wait… what about the cameras?”

“Cameras?”

“Yeah, the security cameras in the area could’ve seen him when he didn’t have his hood on. Can’t you try that?”

“I can,” Eugene sighed. “But it’ll take time.”

“How much?”

“Given the amount of districts seattle has and that a scan on each one would take an hour… If I start now, it’ll be done by tomorrow morning.”

Vinyl sighed, plopping herself on the nearby couch. “Well, at least that allows us the chance to sleep on it. We can find out what he looks like in the morning.”

“Did you see anything, Vinyl? You did see him there?”

“Only his Black hair and blue eyes. That’s about it.”

“Well, every bit helps I guess.” Twilight said. It won’t be till tomorrow that they would find out about anything else about this kid. But for some strange reason, the Element of Magic thought that he wanted to find them.

Wanted to help them.

End Chapter 11

Author's Note:

Alright. Now to work on the next arc. I came up with this one as a quickie given the amount of free time on my hands. Additionally, The Chapter is named "Guardian" based off the Animation by Kanashiipanda and that I've been listening to the soundtrack for it non-stop.

Now, Shawn and the gang are going to have more problems. Problems involving Cards, Concrete, Metal, Magnetism, and Wire. Better stay on your toes, Kiddos.

Fun Fact: Roman's wire powers are based off of an unused power in Infamous- Second Son that was scrapped nearing the end of production. Have a look for yourself.