• Published 2nd Mar 2015
  • 9,070 Views, 225 Comments

The Dragon Sage - Dragon Sage



Spike has remained young while everypony else ages. Is he destined to stay as a baby assistant forever? When Spike receives a letter from Princess Luna, he's faced with a difficult decision that will change his whole world.

  • ...
14
 225
 9,070

Prologue

The ceilings were certainly higher in Twilight’s new home. Every sound bounced around on the walls in echo unlike the Golden Oaks Library. Often there was the sound of chatter amongst friends filling up the halls. Other times, it was the sound of music from a party. Occasionally one could hear the clatter of cooking bleeding out from the kitchen into the main corridor. On this particular morning, the patter of little feet was bouncing around the halls from the main entrance to the throne room. A little purple dragon bumbled across the floor in an excited run before stopping and turning to face the other end of the hall.

“Is this far enough?” he called out. The crystal walls reverberated with his bellowing for a few moments before becoming silent again.

“I think so!” he heard in response.

“Alright, here it comes!” he called again before lifting a roll of parchment up to his lips. It was sealed and neatly tied with a ribbon like all of his pervious letters to Princess Celestia. The small reptile took a big breath and blew the parchment out of his fingers. It vanished in a green flash of flame and magic and the trail of smoke left behind flew up into the air and down the hall. He ran after the smoke trail excitedly before reaching the other end a few moments later, where a familiar lavender Alicorn waited for him.

“It worked, Spike!” Twilight said to him with a giddy smile. “It appeared right in front of me and opened right up. It’s still got the same message written on it this time.” She waved the open letter to and fro with magic that was emanating from her horn.

“Perfect!” Spike responded with a heave as he resumed catching his breath. “Now we just need to get your letters to me without making me hurl.” She rolled her eyes at him. Their previous attempt was unsuccessful and a bit of a mess to clean up.

“Ok now go stand by the door and we’ll give this another shot,” Twilight said and gestured to the other end of the hall. The dragon turned and bounded down the hall once more. The princess smiled as her most faithful and beloved assistant ran. No matter what they did, he always seems to be perfectly happy helping her out. Just before he reached the massive doors at the entrance, they creaked open and two familiar faces peered through. One of them walked, the other bounced.

“Howdy Spiky!” Pinkie Pie squeaked at him. The yellow-maned mare beside her gave him a short wave.

“Where’ya running to?” she said.

“Hi Pinkie, Hi Applejack. We’re experimenting!” He said as he stopped and turned to face Twilight again. “You guys know how I send our letters to Princess Celestia, right? Well, since she became an Alicorn, Twilight and I thought we should try the same thing. It’s taken a bit of practice. Our first letter just went to Celestia by mistake. Our second just burned up in the air. The third one got caught in my throat and I ended up hurling it out,” he said and gave them a grimace. “Fourth times a charm!”

“Hold on there partner. Are we about to see you spew your lunch all over the floor?” Applejack asked with a worried expression on her face.

“Oooohhhh I wanna watch!” Pinkie Pie called out.

Spike turned and called out again to Twilight. “Ready!”

“Ok here we go!” she called out and the parchment snapped out of existence with a purple flash of magic. She then lifted her wings and flew over to where her three friends where standing. Spike looked frantically around, waiting for something to happen, but nothing did.

“Hi girls,” Twilight greeted her friends. “Nothing yet?” she asked Spike. He simply shrugged and shook his head.

“So how’s this letter different from the ones you send to Princess Celestia?” Applejack asked.

“Good question. See, when Spike was a baby, Princess Celestia left a mark of her magic on him. Kinda like a postage stamp, only made of magic. That allowed her to send letters directly to him, and vice versa. Now that I’m a princess, we thought we’d try the same trick, but she made it look so easy,” She said gesturing to Spike who scratched his head in confusion.

“It’s not hard for me to send letters to her. Once she marked me with her magic, all I need to do is picture her face while I send it and poof! There it goes,” Spike said gesturing with his hands.

“Poof!” Pinkie echoed with a smile.

“But for some reason, getting the darn thing back to me has been ha—AAEEERRRP!” Spike belched loudly and a green flame sprang out from his mouth. The others ducked away from the embers as the flames died quickly and the letter fell to the ground.

“It worked! Good work Spike," she said and turned to the two mares. " So what are you guys doing here?” she asked, rolling the paper back up.

“Wellllll,” Pinkie started. “The Cakes wanted me to explore your kitchen and take stock of what you have and don’t have so they can bake deserts for your big housewarming party!” She said with a jump.

“I’m here to help out seein' as I’m on dinner duty that night,” Applejack said, then pointed to Spike with a raised eyebrow. “So why do y’all need to send letters to each other anyway? You two have been joined at the hip since you first arrived in Ponyville.”

“True, but it’s still a good idea to be ready in case it might come in handy,” the purple princess responded. Spike smirked.

“Yeah because a flying teleporting magical princess needs more ways to—AAEERRRRP!” Spike burped again and another note flew out landing in front of him. The four of them looked down curiously at the new note. Twilight shot Spike a quick glance and then picked it up.

“Hmm. Is this from Celestia?” She said as she opened it up. She glanced at the page for a moment, then looked at her companion in surprise. “Spike, it’s for you,” she stated, then floated the page over towards him.

“Wait what?” he said and took the page in his hand and began reading quickly. “It’s from Princess Luna,” he said before continuing reading. His eyes darted back and forth on the page and he held it closer to his face. The three ponies waited in anticipation.

“Well come on! Whatshesay?” Pinkie asked loudly.

Spike’s expression grew somber as he read over the letter. Twilight did not like the face her assistant was wearing and for a moment, she worried that something was terribly wrong.

"Spike?” she asked softly.

He looked up at her with a sad look on his face and spoke. “She wants me to leave Ponyville.”