• Published 8th May 2012
  • 1,793 Views, 14 Comments

War for Equestria-Prelude 1 - CeresBane



A series of short stories before the coming of the great war and foreshadowing the possible causes.

  • ...
 14
 1,793

Unmarked Soldier

It was the usual sunny day in Canterlot with nary a cloud in the skies. But the day was by no means peaceful, at least by any Canterlot standard. As one would expect from the busy capital metropolis of all Equestria, everypony of every kind flooded the skies and streets in a buzz of activity. Gusts of wind would slap you across on every side as the rush of the pegasii weaved the air of the city in a dizzying maelstrom. And the clopping, the constant clopping of hundreds of pony hooves upon the cobble stone would madden you if you ever stopped to listen. For all around him, this was just another day in the peaceful kingdom of Equestria.

There he was, after a long journey he has made it home. At least it use to be. He had been gone for such a long time. It took him only a glimpse to know nothing was what he knew anymore.

“There he is! He’s the pony that attacked the gate guards.”

His ear twitched to the sound but he would not be slowed. So much for keeping a low profile.

It was his intention to at least use the ponies around to shroud himself, but times were different. His every mannerism, his breed and face were just too distinct to hide in a crowd. For all his worth he may as well have been a beacon in the darkness. But he would most certainly not be stopped. The city gate guards met him with suspicion and intimidation. After the changeling incident, no pony of any kind would pass through the gates until thoroughly checked. Naturally a war-torn vagabond looking colt with a sword on his shoulder, was not exactly the kind to just breeze by the city gates unchecked.

Unfortunately for the guards this was a pony that liked to be unmolested. It took only a moment and then he was through the gate and into the city. A small garrison of unconscious ponies left in his wake. It was admittedly impressive of them to notice so quickly, communication had gotten better since his day. Where he thought he had at least an hour's head start, he'd realised he had minutes. To have the city guard notice a suspicious figure was in the city within those minutes as opposed to hours of going through the chain of command where the order to hunt for him would be given city-wide was truly a marvel.

But continuing to walk without so much as a change of pace he'd found himself at the city square, deep into the heart of Canterlot. There the royal guards advanced on him. By then, the clopping had stopped as every pony created an envelopment of flesh to watch on the ensuing drama. He never wavered his gaze away from his goal, but the royal palace was obstructed from view by a herd of foals. Royal guards are just not what they use to be, he noted. For all their progress, he noticed much has been lost. His red eye flashed a glare in ire and his spine tingled in anticipation of violence all along his crimson furred back.

Where was there steel? Where was there mettle? How can these foals hope to defend Equestria?

Peace has made Equestria's defenders soft. Efficiency meant nothing if it lacked potency.

Not a single step was lost, not a single one faltered. As he neared the wall of ponies they looked at each other wondering what to do. Fear. Hesitation. Those eyes sending them inches towards the edge of panic. Pitiful.

The stallion was clearly mad with eyes of crimson blood and flesh of the very same shade, he looked the very part of a killer. One look in his eyes and everypony knew that if they didn’t part they would most certainly be run through. No pony was brave enough to face him, they merely watched him as he encroached. They knew they had to act soon, but just couldn't. Looking at this pony was as if to look into the eyes of a cockatrice.

On his forelegs he wore white leg warmers that loosely fit to his legs. They rustled in the wind accompanying the sound of his hoofs clopping on the ancient cobble stones, as if commanding the ground he walked on. On his rump he wore black trousers held in place by a green belt with the strap on his back, the mystery of his cutie mark disturbed everypony. It just seemed so unnatural to hide it so intentionally. And on the upper half of his back he wore a horrid black scabby scar. As if some monstrous creature had clawed him to near death and the wound had been severely burned shut, leaving behind a horrid scar. There indeed was no mistake, this pony had killed before and he was clearly intent to do so again. This pony spoke fear with his whole body.

And his blade promised death.

The hilt jutting from his shoulder the mysterious soldier grabbed his sword from his back. But he did not draw. Now nearing them by a measly few hoofs some ponies began their hesitant retreat. It took all their will to keep the shield wall intact but their steps moved backwards, as if they were a dam about to give way to the sheer presence of fear incarnate.

“Halt in the name of Equestria!” Many voices of similar greetings sounded out at the same time. It didn't seem so intimidating when they retreated with each advance he made and the way they said it with such lack of unity just singled the lacking in their words. The sword pony’s ears twitched again and some within the ranks flinched.

Equestria is a kingdom united in complacency.

Instantly his blade flashed, shining brightly in the sun. The sword split into tiny shards of polished metal and wire and span about him in a chaotic maelstrom of flashing light and slicing. It occurred with such instance and intensity that it took moments for all eyes to adjust back to normal. By the time they could see again, the mysterious soldier had vanished, leaving behind bewildered on lookers and naked royal guards. The best armour of the land had been replaced with cuts and bruises.

-

It was tea time in Canterlot castle, a time of much fanfare and solemn merry making usually. But due to the high alert in the streets many nobles and dignitaries were lead to leave to safer locations. Princess Celestia sat alone in her throne room levitating a cup and saucer up to her person. With each clinking tap of saucer and cup resonating in the silent air, the loneliness of the moment brought a sigh pass her lips. The long red carpet towards her throne would usually hold a single pony who had her audience. Rows upon rows of servants and hand maidens and officials and advisor would look on in the flanks. Secluded and under guard by two of the greatest warriors in the land, Celestia was haunted by one of her greatest enemies.

Boredom.

Staring for what seemed like hours she regarded her surroundings for the umpteenth time. Soon high noon came and the light of the sun was strong in the room. On the otherwise bare white marble floor shone down the many stain glass tapestries. Great epics and legends of the past both recent and ancient. She eyed each one solemnly letting the memories of millennia flow.

“Princess Celestia, I have grave news.” Shining Armour was in such a rush into the throne room that he rammed the grand double doors, slamming two royal guards in the snout with the sudden swinging of doors.

“Captain, what could possibility be so grave as to have you like this?” Cool as ever the princess greeted with politeness and concern. Not a hint of her melancholy could be seen.

Nor her contempt.

“A sword pony princess. A master, he’s come for your head.” Celestia raised regal brow to this. Old news she thought to herself. The nobles had been raving about him for hours. But now that she heard it once more for the billionth, there was something eerie about it all. Amateurs were everywhere but a renowned sword pony?

Sword ponies were a long since extinct profession. Very few could wield enough strength in their mouths to avoid losing teeth and torn flesh, as well as weave with such gentle enough grace to dodge and parry to close the gap on foes. This is why the standard weapon of equestrian military were pole arms and crossbows so that ponies could charge into battle and attack from a safe distance. If this pony was truly a master, he would have to be ancient or an outsider of Equestria.

For a long moment Celestia thought to herself. What did Shining Armour expect her to reply? Everything needed to be done was done. Did he expect some sort of praise to portray this news? In fact where had he been when the orders were given out? Feeling her ire towards him she finally began to speak. “I want you to search the city for this pony. I want him arrested and taken here to me."

“Under submission naturally.” This time Shining Armour was the one to raise a brow. Celestia wanted to roll her eyes but she resisted.

“Naturally.” Celestia nodded curtly to captain obvious. “Let those two accompany you too. I want every stallion searching for this sword pony.” The two door-guards finished wiping blood from their snouts bowed low, following Shining Armour out the door.

Why or how this foal became a captain is beyond me.

Mayhaps Cadence had a hand in it, raised in her royal court she knew a thing or two about intrigue, she would have made any noble a proud prince. But then she fell in love as younglings do, likely using her influence to raise the station of the colt from private to captaincy. I truly shouldn't have made that bargain to approve their wedding plans if he became something worthy to marry... like a captain. She had clearly played into her hoofs with it. Young love, Celestia mused absently, taking especially more care to taste the bittersweet taste of her tea to accompany her thoughts.

She sipped slowly and periodically taking the time to enjoy the warmth and aroma.

But with time perhaps he would amount to something, greatness runs in the Sparkles if Twilight were any indication. Though, that idiot maybe a thousand years too young to even come close to the calibre of her shining pupil. I mean really! A wedding in the middle of a national emergency!? She didn't want any of it but being of alicorn royalty, she knew to honour her words lest she would be found unworthy of speaking them. Her promise to Cadence had to be kept and it was their choice to choose when to have their own wedding. But still... It didn't make the whole idea any less idiotic.

“Don’t forget to close the door behind you.” Shining Armour had just left the throne room and turned around to then bow towards the throne as his horn glowed brightly, summoning the power to close doors. With a resonant slam the doors closed and the sound of fading hoof steps followed. Only then did Celestia's reverie broke and noticed that she wasn't alone in the room.

“That was an impressive impression.” Princess Celestia smirked.

Beside the right door of the throne room entrance stood the sword pony in question.

“Even after so many years you still persist to be called princess.”The stallion walked in a steady pace towards the throne. Celestia delicately placed down her tea beside her watching him come. Seemingly too slow for her liking she rose from her throne and walked to meet him, mayhaps a little more enthusiastically than she intended.

“How long has it been old friend?” Celestia's smirk grew as she approached closer. She looked at him thoroughly. He looked the same as he remembered. Walking with a warrior's pride, looking on with a soldier's hardened eyes and the branding mark of a high servant of the alicorn royalty.

“God knows...” The red soldier in retort, giving a returning wry smile. Celestia stifled a giggle.

“A lonesome mare guising herself in godhood as well as royalty, I have to say I can’t deny that you indeed have class. My lady.” The red soldier bent down to affectionately raise Celestia’s hoof to kiss. The familiar ring of his words seemed to claw at her heart as certain memories flooded her mind all at once. She wanted to feel so much. In an instant her expression went from a wry smirk to her royal poker face in the face of her uncertainty.

“Ceres, enough.” She spoke to protest, her tone solemn but she did nothing else to resist him. He took advantage and advanced his affections to her neck.

“I missed you, my lady.” Ceres whispered into her ear and nibbled a little. She wanted to return his favours, to kiss and hold him and yet all the while throttle his throat and cry rivers of tears while pushing him away. How dare he return and why return at such a time as now? Her heart just wasn't ready to handle it all. She was at her limit as is.

“I said enough!” Picking the simplest emotion Celestia slapped him across the face with her right hoof. He saw it coming and he let it come. Celestia struck with such force that his head recoiled to the side with the blow leaving a mark of broken flesh. He closed his eyes for what he thought was a long moment. I needed that , he echoed inside. Feeling the welling of tears he shut his eyes even tighter until his tears subsided before opening them again.

"I'm sorry." He didn't feel sorry, in fact he was disappointed. Deeply so.

He's real. This was not a dream or some sick changeling jest, Celestia simply didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so she just gone mad.

“You would be here for only one reason!” As if the longevity of his thoughts were just an instant time unfroze and reality kicked back into gear. She was right, he only had one reason. Now at least. Looking up from his reverie he gave himself a moment to take in his lady. She was definitely not the same he knew. His lady had changed. The immortal and ever beautiful Celestia had grown up, as he did.

Banishing all personal matters to the back of his mind. He bowed low in the ancient traditional Canterlot manner and gave his address, he spoke simply and concisely.

“Yes, your highness. I am hear to report that the Queen mother has died. You or your sister must rise to the station and I, as the queen's herald will choose whom is worthy.”